PDA

View Full Version : RRA BGC Upgrade Help

beaker1013
11-24-08, 12:51
I own a RRA Entry Tactical and want to upgrade the BGC. I feel that this is a great weapon, but I want to make sure that this will be a reliable SHTF weapon or a "Hey, let's go blow a 1,000 rounds this weekend" weapon. After reading all the threads here, I decided it would be best to just replace the enitre BGC to be on the safe side. Here are my questions and thank you before hand for your input.

1. Bravo Co. has a BCM BCG in auto, would this still work in a S/A?

2. Is there a direct way to contact BCM to order factory direct as I don't know if Bravo Co. carries a S/A BCM BCG?

3. The LMT BCGs don't say that they are MPI, are they? Does this just go wothout saying?

4. What about CMT? Are these any good?

5. Bravo Co. does have the BCM Bolt in stock, should I order this now and get the bolt carrier later?

6. Any other suggestions?

mmike87
11-24-08, 12:57
I own a RRA Entry Tactical and want to upgrade the BGC. I feel that this is a great weapon, but I want to make sure that this will be a reliable SHTF weapon or a "Hey, let's go blow a 1,000 rounds this weekend" weapon. After reading all the threads here, I decided it would be best to just replace the enitre BGC to be on the safe side. Here are my questions and thank you before hand for your input.

1. Bravo Co. has a BCM BCG in auto, would this still work in a S/A?

2. Is there a direct way to contact BCM to order factory direct as I don't know if Bravo Co. carries a S/A BCM BCG?

3. The LMT BCGs don't say that they are MPI, are they? Does this just go wothout saying?

4. What about CMT? Are these any good?

5. Bravo Co. does have the BCM Bolt in stock, should I order this now and get the bolt carrier later?

6. Any other suggestions?

1) Yes. I am using a BCM FA BCG in one of my RRA rifles.
2) No need - just get the FA BCG.
3) Yes they are. The general consensus is that they are just as good as BCM from what I have read. I am using one of their FA BCG's in another rifle when BCM was not available.
4) Not familiar with them - but some indicate MPI and some don't indicate so. Not sure on the details of that.
5) It's a good start - and probably good enough if you get your carrier key staked properly. Neither of my two RRA BCG's had properly staked keys. But I say get the FA BCG and keep the RRA one as a spare, after upgrading the extractor and staking the carrier key screws.
6) Ditch the commercial receiver extension for an LMT or VLTOR Milspec tube. They are stronger and offer more stock options going forward. Also stake the castle nut once you replace the receiver extension.

apd268
11-24-08, 18:20
dont want to hi-jack the thread but I also have a RRA and can you or anyone else tell me exactly why I should upgrade the BCG especially on a carry gun?

nickdrak
11-24-08, 18:30
No need to completely replace your entire RRA BCG. I would instead suggest ordering just the Bravo Company bolt, and having you RRA carrier's gas key properly staked. Get a Bravo Company "Extractor spring upgrade kit" for you RRA bolt and keep it as a spare. A spare bolt should be considered a mandatory part of any spare parts kit.

Having your carrier gas key properly staked, and installing the Bravo Company bolt will have your BCG squared away.

sdcromer
11-24-08, 19:37
No need to completely replace your entire RRA BCG. I would instead suggest ordering just the Bravo Company bolt, and having you RRA carrier's gas key properly staked. Get a Bravo Company "Extractor spring upgrade kit" for you RRA bolt and keep it as a spare. A spare bolt should be considered a mandatory part of any spare parts kit.

Having your carrier gas key properly staked, and installing the Bravo Company bolt will have your BCG squared away.

I agree. You can stake your RRA bolt carrier key in about two minutes if you have a vise, a nail set punch, and a hammer. I plan to get a BCM bolt for my new RRA upper and keep the RRA bolt as a spare just like stated above. I've already stake the carrier key myself and it looks just like the ones from BCM or Grant at G&R.

beaker1013
11-24-08, 19:47
Thanks MMIKE87. I have the BMC BCG on backorder.

mmike87
11-24-08, 21:18
Remember if you're keeping the RRA as a spare to follow nickdrak and sdcromer suggestions above. You'll be in good shape then.

mmike87
11-24-08, 21:25
dont want to hi-jack the thread but I also have a RRA and can you or anyone else tell me exactly why I should upgrade the BCG especially on a carry gun?

The bolts and carriers are not "optimal". The bolts are not MPI tested, not sure if they are shot peened or not. The bolts takes a beating when the rifle cycles and those features help make sure it's 100%.

The carrier key screws are likely not staked properly. A quick search on this forum will yield a wealth of info and pictures on what that means if you are not familiar with it.

The extractor sprring and insert can also use an upgrade to make them function better on carbine gas systems. The kits are only a few dollars (liternally) from BCM and are quick to install. Rifles such as Colt and LMT ship out of the box with MPI shot peened bolts, a lot of less expensive brands to not.

You can't change the fact that the bolt is not as good as it can be, but you can stake the screws and upgrade the extractor spring. A lot of folks do this, and keep that BCG as a spare and get a BCM or LMT full auto BCG as their primary since those are considered top quality all the way around. You can also buy BCM bolts seperately and they will function fine in your RRA carrier.

There be other differences, too - but those are some of the biggest reasons. I'm not an expert - everything I know about anything AR related I learned reading here.