PDA

View Full Version : Mask options?

rushca01
05-04-20, 15:50
Apologies if this is in a different thread somewhere else on the site.

It seems, at least for the time being, masks are going to be required at most retailers and airlines for the foreseeable future. This isn’t a discussion on COVID but a discussion on masks.

What options are out there? I see Haley strategic and mystery ranch have made face coverings but are those really useful other than making retailers happy that you are wearing a mask while in their store? What other options are out there besides surgical style masks etc.?

Dennis
05-04-20, 16:04
I would also be interested in the most comfortable options and who is selling ones that are moderately interesting in style.

I care more about comfort and breathablility than NBC capable filtering. I made some masks from desert camo ripstop and they are neither breathable nor comfortable.

Thanks!

Dennis.

jsbhike
05-04-20, 16:48
Or you can state you are unable to wear a mask for health reasons.

markm
05-04-20, 17:11
I have no plans for any mask wear. But if I had to, I have those desert camo neck gaiters that work great for such nonsense.

AndyLate
05-04-20, 17:18
I got a lesion removed from the end of my nose and stitches Friday. Masks suck.

We have been using the 3 ply disposable masks like these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/100-Pack-Disposable-Anti-Pollution-Ear-Loop-Safety-3-Ply-Mask/697791082

Not a recommendation, or condemnation (what do I know about masks?)

I do wish everyone would wear masks for a few months.

Andy

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-04-20, 17:44
What's a good gaiter?

I have no plans for any mask wear. But if I had to, I have those desert camo neck gaiters that work great for such nonsense.

I just don't get people that won't take the simplest steps to prevent the spread on this. If simple steps, widely taken, reduces the spread and that reduces the fuel that the collectivists can use to feed the fire, what is the problem??? If all of a sudden we get a surge in 2 weeks from people getting infected, we are facing another round of shut downs- and it won't come off as fast.

Face coverings during an airborne/respiratory pandemic are the most basic of preventive measures.

Mozart
05-04-20, 18:05
I just don't get people that won't take the simplest steps to prevent the spread on this. If simple steps, widely taken, reduces the spread and that reduces the fuel that the collectivists can use to feed the fire, what is the problem??? If all of a sudden we get a surge in 2 weeks from people getting infected, we are facing another round of shut downs- and it won't come off as fast.

Face coverings during an airborne/respiratory pandemic are the most basic of preventive measures.

People who refuse to do the right thing by choice will be partly to blame for government overstepping and forcing people to do the right thing. They will cause the very thing they rage against. But that’s all of society, in a nutshell. If we could all be trusted to do the right thing voluntarily, there would be little need for police and laws and coercion. “Our constitution is suitable for a moral people only, it is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” - whoever said that.

Dipshits driving recklessly led to speed limits.
Dipshit builders led to building codes.
Dipshit food processors led to the FDA.
And so on.
Well, dipshits who won’t protect themselves or others in case they are asymptomatic carriers will lead to compulsory mask wearing. And I don’t feel bad about that. People need to pull their heads out of their asses.

jsbhike
05-04-20, 18:06
What's a good gaiter?

I don't get continuing to have faith in people that keep screwing up(nice version) or lying.

In decades of "reasonable restrictions" I have yet to see anything that appeases those people.

turnburglar
05-04-20, 18:13
I just don't get people that won't take the simplest steps to prevent the spread on this....

Because face masks would be a direct step on their snake?? No one wants a boogaflu. Its not nearly as cool to humbly gather supplies nicely with a surgical mask. We want PVS 14's and Night Raids or nothing.

Even if it means prolonged economic down turn, and an increased risk to those around us. Thats the price of being cool. Thats the price of being American.

rushca01
05-04-20, 18:26
Gents, it’s not my place to mod this at all, but let’s not let it get it too derailed. Can we stick to face covering options other than surgical masks and N95 masks. Fact is, in my area retailers are requiring them, and potentially clients I visit in the near future.

jsbhike
05-04-20, 18:28
Sounds like the Fudd mantra claiming buying black rifles, carrying firearms, ad nauseum are the cause of anti 2nd Amendment laws.

jsbhike
05-04-20, 18:31
Gents, it’s not my place to mod this at all, but let’s get it too derailed. Can we stick to face covering options other than surgical masks and N95 masks. Fact is, in my area retailers are requiring them, and potentially clients I visit in the near future.

The health claim is an option in most, maybe all, states.

rushca01
05-04-20, 18:44
I found these by kryptek

https://kryptek.com/catalog/product/collections/promotions/kryptek-courtesy-face-mask/

26 Inf
05-04-20, 19:29
I found these by kryptek

https://kryptek.com/catalog/product/collections/promotions/kryptek-courtesy-face-mask/

I was set to scoff, but that seems like a good deal.

One of my sons gave us several N95 masks, I've been wearing homemade facemasks over them to keep them in service longer. I have settled on washing cloth mask daily (have a couple) and replacing the N95 weekly - based on my personal lifestyle.

Business_Casual
05-04-20, 19:39
People who refuse to do the right thing by choice will be partly to blame for government overstepping and forcing people to do the right thing. They will cause the very thing they rage against. But that’s all of society, in a nutshell. If we could all be trusted to do the right thing voluntarily, there would be little need for police and laws and coercion. “Our constitution is suitable for a moral people only, it is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” - whoever said that.

Dipshits driving recklessly led to speed limits.
Dipshit builders led to building codes.
Dipshit food processors led to the FDA.
And so on.
Well, dipshits who won’t protect themselves or others in case they are asymptomatic carriers will lead to compulsory mask wearing. And I don’t feel bad about that. People need to pull their heads out of their asses.

So dipshits with 30-round mags leading to control is different, though, right?

SomeOtherGuy
05-04-20, 20:15
The Kryptek mask looks pretty good, although the cost with shipping adds up, and more again if you buy replacement internal filters.

The most comfortable masks I've seen are the home-sewn ones, but you have to know someone who can sew well. And you don't really know how good/bad the filtration performance is, but it's likely well below an N95.

The earloops that are common are not comfortable. Assuming you have reasonably short hair, or straight hair if it's long, elastic behind your head is much better for actual wearing.

MountainRaven
05-04-20, 21:10
I have one of the HSP ones and so far, it's the most comfortable/best that I've tried.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-04-20, 21:46
I have one of the HSP ones and so far, it's the most comfortable/best that I've tried.

Out of stock, at least at his site.

MountainRaven
05-04-20, 21:51
Out of stock, at least at his site.

Yeah, that's pretty common. I tried to get a second one about 20 hours after they posted a restock on Facebook and they were already out, again.

Todd.K
05-04-20, 23:07
The most comfortable masks I've seen are the home-sewn ones, but you have to know someone who can sew well. And you don't really know how good/bad the filtration performance is, but it's likely well below an N95.

If it's comfortable, it's probably like N single digit. An N95 mask is quite uncomfortable to wear, less if it has an exhaust valve but that defeats the purpose of everyone wearing a mask.

Given the weather changing, for comfort I'd probably look for a summer fishing gaiter.

mrbieler
05-04-20, 23:27
I have to wear masks when I visit my customers. My wife made some, but I gave in and picked this set up so I can rotate them. With slide lock straps, they are much easier to use than elastic.

https://sotechtactical.com/collections/new/products/first-responder-face-cover-w-reusable-liners

Mozart
05-04-20, 23:52
So dipshits with 30-round mags leading to control is different, though, right?

Simply owning a 30 round mag? That doesn’t make someone a dipshit. So yes, thats different. ???

Can you think of an example of someone failing to do the right thing voluntarily, in regard to firearms? How about a dipshit parent that leaves a loaded Glock on the kitchen counter, and his child picks it up and blows his friends’ head apart. After that, guess what: NEW LAW. Safe storage around children. THATS what I mean when I say that failure to do the right thing of our own choice will usually result in government feeling the need to make more choices for us. If we wish to avoid that situation, we can start by being intelligent and responsible. Government will come after our rights anyway, let’s not give them easy justification.

Wear a goddamn mask. I saw an elderly lady at Food Lion yesterday who was visibly terrified and trying to stay away from everyone else. She was the ONLY other person in the store besides me and my wife that was wearing a mask. She nodded when she saw us, as a thank you I believe. I didn’t try to talk with her and break the 6ft distance recommendation. Imagine you infected that lady because you’re too proud or too pretentious to cover your face, and you didn’t know you are an asymptomatic carrier.

(“You” generic, not you “business casual”)

VARIABLE9
05-05-20, 07:52
Buff neck gaiter. Motorcycle sites, outdoor sites like REI, and Amazon.

rjacobs
05-05-20, 07:55
Buff neck gaiter. Motorcycle sites, outdoor sites like REI, and Amazon.

I have a few from SA Fishing that I had for riding motorcycles.

Ive been rocking my Texas Flag one for the past few weeks and now will be wearing it at work at all times when I can be seen by the public.

As far as N95 vs. non N95... Non N95 masks are all basically the same from a protection standpoint and provide little to no protection except from droplets, but they make everybody feel good and 99.9% of people who are "monitoring" for such mask wearage, have no frickin clue.

Vic79
05-05-20, 08:08
Have Plenty that I wear for work. I’m not wearing one to go to Home Depot or any where.
It would be fun if BCM and DD started producing mask and then we could all argue about which one was more mill spec.

Also if you see someone laughing at you while you were wearing a mask driving in a car by yourself that was probably me. You look like a moron!

jsbhike
05-05-20, 08:28
I wondered if anyone would try this.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/495974-photos-show-man-wearing-kkk-hood-while-shopping-in-san

Interesting that public health concerns suddenly became a non-issue.

Seen people interested in MAGA and similar slogans on masks and assume the reaction will be similar.

Adrenaline_6
05-05-20, 08:52
Simply owning a 30 round mag? That doesn’t make someone a dipshit. So yes, thats different. ???

Can you think of an example of someone failing to do the right thing voluntarily, in regard to firearms? How about a dipshit parent that leaves a loaded Glock on the kitchen counter, and his child picks it up and blows his friends’ head apart. After that, guess what: NEW LAW. Safe storage around children. THATS what I mean when I say that failure to do the right thing of our own choice will usually result in government feeling the need to make more choices for us. If we wish to avoid that situation, we can start by being intelligent and responsible. Government will come after our rights anyway, let’s not give them easy justification.

Wear a goddamn mask. I saw an elderly lady at Food Lion yesterday who was visibly terrified and trying to stay away from everyone else. She was the ONLY other person in the store besides me and my wife that was wearing a mask. She nodded when she saw us, as a thank you I believe. I didn’t try to talk with her and break the 6ft distance recommendation. Imagine you infected that lady because you’re too proud or too pretentious to cover your face, and you didn’t know you are an asymptomatic carrier.

(“You” generic, not you “business casual”)

Come on man, lets be real here and look at it logically. If she is wearing a mask, social distances, doesn't touch her face like she is supposed to and washes her hands when she leaves she should be absolutely fine. Contact tracing data shows that we aren't getting it at the grocery stores and the like anyway.

Adrenaline_6
05-05-20, 09:00
Have Plenty that I wear for work. I’m not wearing one to go to Home Depot or any where.
It would be fun if BCM and DD started producing mask and then we could all argue about which one was more mill spec.

Also if you see someone laughing at you while you were wearing a mask driving in a car by yourself that was probably me. You look like a moron!

I saw this and wearing gloves while driving. At a drive thru, one lady who was wearing a mask in her car took it off to talk to the person at the window. Wtf...over?

odugrad
05-05-20, 09:18
Depending on your interests, here's a link with some face masks: https://www.zumiez.com//accessories/face-covers.html?kw=mask

I'm not sure how effective they are. Just thought I'd throw those out.

Etsy has been a huge shop for face masks as of late. Some people I work with have some from Cali Rustic or Rustic Cali that look pretty comfortable. They've got a pocket for filters, too.

Adrenaline_6
05-05-20, 09:23
If you can't find any N95 but have some you can reuse them to a point.

https://www.vaniman.com/how-to-sterilize-or-disinfect-cloth-n95-kn95-face-masks/

rushca01
05-05-20, 10:54
I really didn't start this thread to debate the merits of wearing a mask.

Fact, retailers around me are requiring masks "if" I'm going to shop there. Well I plan to buy things still so I need something, I would rather it be more useful than just cotton which is why I asked what other options there are. I personally would not wear one if I didn't have to.

orionz06
05-05-20, 11:32
I've got these (https://darkstargear.com/product/rhodie-neck-gaiter/) listed on my site. I've got a different mask that accepts filters, but the gaiter is what I roll with.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-05-20, 12:22
It seems that a lot of the gaiters are designed around warmth, which is what I definitely don't need. I'm looking for something simple and dry wicking black fabric. Anyone know of one like that?

1GIG
05-05-20, 12:39
This is a good option.
Reusable, washable face mask with replaceable N95 filters.
Coupon DLV20 for 20% off.
Tyr Tactical
(http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/list/Special-Offers/)

Todd.K
05-05-20, 12:39
Black is going to be harder to find there. Plenty of plain, neutral, lighter colors available. Look for fishing, hiking, boating/watersport gaiters.

Todd.K
05-05-20, 12:48
Contact tracing data shows that we aren't getting it at the grocery stores and the like anyway.

Got any links?

LMT Shooter
05-05-20, 16:31
It seems that a lot of the gaiters are designed around warmth, which is what I definitely don't need. I'm looking for something simple and dry wicking black fabric. Anyone know of one like that?

Try Spec-Ops brand Recon Wrap. Synthetic wicking fabric in a lightweight knit (like a regular t-shirt).

I'm a techtard or I'd do a link

ZGXtreme
05-05-20, 19:25
If you can right it off as an expense... Ops Core SOTR [emoji1605]

AKDoug
05-05-20, 20:59
I just took a Under Armour Heat Gear long sleeve shirt and cut it into several neck gaiter style masks. It takes limited sewing and it's breathable enough to actually work in and basically stops spittle if I cough or sneeze. Honestly, the only reason our state wants us to wear masks is to limit transfer by spittle from coughs and sneezes. They figure at six feet social distancing that's all that is needed. Frankly, I don't wear my mask unless it's required in a store, or in my own store when a customer is wearing a mask and I'm dealing with them. I can stop from sneezing or coughing on someone, so I see no real need to wear a mask 90% of the time.

rushca01
05-05-20, 21:26
Appreciate all the replies, I finally just ordered the Goruck masks. They have a built in pocket designed for a filter and are supplying front line workers with N95 masks with each purchase. They just released them today, I own a bunch of their bags and figured why not support them. They seem expensive but when you figure Haley is charging $15 per mask and mystery ranch $16, goruck at 3 for $45 plus them supporting the front line with your purchase is cool with me.

Honu
05-05-20, 22:19

I have one of these without the huge logo ? not sure when they started that ugly stuff you can read has a ultra cool fabric

https://www.columbia.com/river-chill-pfg-neck-gaiter-1687081.html?dwvar_1687081_variationColor=488&cgid=accessories-GaitersScarves#start=0

might be able to find one without ? but works quite well as far as fabric does not get to hot and when damp actually does have a cooling effect
I wear it in the summer sometimes camping to keep neck from burning and such I tested it to breath through and reckon I will be using that some in the next months

Buckaroo
05-05-20, 22:28
You can find cooling gators @ Home Depot and Lowe's usually this time of year. I haven't looked this week but usually...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Arik
05-05-20, 22:39
If it's comfortable, it's probably like N single digit. An N95 mask is quite uncomfortable to wear, less if it has an exhaust valve but that defeats the purpose of everyone wearing a mask.

Given the weather changing, for comfort I'd probably look for a summer fishing gaiter.Wear an N95 for quite a while. Perfectly fine. Every once in a while swap it out for a respirator. Don't see a difference but I'm not picky. The uncomfortable part is from the homemade or the surgeon ones that fog up my glasses

Arik
05-05-20, 22:42

Also if you see someone laughing at you while you were wearing a mask driving in a car by yourself that was probably me. You look like a moron!As someone who does deliveries. All day, in and out of the car every 2-5 miles. It's easier to keep the mask on then to keep taking it on and off every few minutes

jsbhike
05-06-20, 05:33
https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/respiratory/half-mask-respirators-m00469#!/?product-options-title=lpr-100-half-mask-respirator-s-m-ml00894

VARIABLE9
05-06-20, 08:12

I posted earlier, Buff. They have different thicknesses, fabric weights. I have two thin ones for motorcycling, they provide benefits in cold, cool, and warm or hot weather.

kwelz
05-06-20, 11:35
I either use a Shemagh or a mask one of my wife's coworkers made.

Remember no mask you can buy right now is going to stop the airborn virus. The idea here is to top as much as possible that could be attached to moisture droplets when you breath in and out. Because of this you are better off getting something that is easily washable.

SeriousStudent
05-06-20, 16:18
Let's keep this thread focused on the OP's question, and not have it spin out of control with insults and attacks like the last one.

I'm going to clean up a bunch of off-topic replies. Save the butthurt, and consider how many people got banned in a thread that got locked multiple times.

kwelz
05-06-20, 16:24
Kind of confused as to why my reply was removed? I just gave advice on what face covering may work for him...

SeriousStudent
05-06-20, 16:52
Kind of confused as to why my reply was removed? I just gave advice on what face covering may work for him...

Twas mighty axe that I swung - it is now back.

mrbieler
05-06-20, 17:08

He's 63 axe handle high.

kwelz
05-06-20, 17:30

Thanks. I was mainly worried I had done something wrong. I know I am a pain in the ass but I try to play by the rules.

SeriousStudent
05-06-20, 22:40
He's 63 axe handle high.

Yeah, but that blue ox is probably going to end up on the smoker. Preferably with some dry rub and post oak smoke wafting around it.

PD Sgt.
05-08-20, 10:53
I ordered a couple of the Kryptek gaiters. Relatively light and comfortable, though a bit longer than the heavier ones I have used for work in colder weather. My wife loved the patterns so I also got her one of their masks. She really likes it and finds it plenty comfortable.

That SOTR looks pretty good, hard to justify the cost though. I also recall seeing a few pics of General S. Miller wearing some kind of black N95 looking mask and thought it seemed pretty low key and professional looking, but have not been able to find or figure out what kind it was.

Todd.K
05-08-20, 14:31
That SOTR looks pretty good

Exhaust valve, no-go for the purpose needed here.

jsbhike
05-08-20, 16:19
Exhaust valve, no-go for the purpose needed here.

Someone is actually checking that?

Glasses.
Not sure about all materials, but if whatever you have lacks a nose bridge gadget, if the mask can ride high enough that the bridge on the glasses will sit on the material (acting as a defacto clip), fogging will likely be reduced.

AndyLate
05-09-20, 05:09
Glasses.
Not sure about all materials, but if whatever you have lacks a nose bridge gadget, if the mask can ride high enough that the bridge on the glasses will sit on the material (acting as a defacto clip), fogging will likely be reduced.

I wear glasses and find that slipping the top edge of the mask under them helps even if they do have the metal strip.

I ordered two of the Kryptek masks for my wife and DIL, plus a mask for one son and a gaiter for the other. I'm good with the cheap disposables for myself so I can leave one in each car, the office, my laptop bag, etc. Also, some random lady at the gas station said I have pretty eyes, so I don't think I need a cool mask.

Andy

FJCowboy
05-09-20, 10:25
I've been going with the Buff version. I was folding it once or twice to create more layers. I was having a bit of a hard time keeping it in place but found when I was wearing it with a hat and the buff above the rear snap area, it will stay on pretty well. They haven't been too hot but can be a bit itchy with a beard. I feel a little bit more outdoorsy than with a traditional medical mask. Being able to slide it up/down makes it nice as well.

As far as companies making masks, as someone stated I have been looking at supporting some of the same companies I normally do that have changed manufacturing to masks. Gets me a mask and supports them. Just a few options I have found.
https://recycledfirefighter.com/products/cotton-mask?_pos=2&_sid=0efd0f474&_ss=r
https://www.forged.com/pages/forged-face-mask
https://www.redwhiteblueapparel.com/products/face-cover-folded-2-layer-red?_pos=1&_sid=1f6667260&_ss=r
https://safishing.com/shop/tactical-face-shield-black/

a1fabweld
05-10-20, 00:32
I’ll be wearing my welding hood if I’m forced to wear a mask. I wear it for many hours a day anyway so it’ll be familiar and roomy inside. Plus I think people will freak out which is fun.

FJCowboy
05-10-20, 08:38
I saw a guy wearing one of those freeflight helmets at the grocery store. Large facemask with wide visibility.

jsbhike
05-10-20, 09:38
Don't bet on a full face shield getting a pass everywhere.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=240773817159693&id=100036812298636

AKDoug
05-10-20, 11:06
Don't bet on a full face shield getting a pass everywhere.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=240773817159693&id=100036812298636

Do you have any more background to this?

jsbhike
05-10-20, 11:16
Do you have any more background to this?

Not much. I don't like commentary along with video, but the guard can be heard telling him his face shield won't work for entry.

https://youtu.be/97FKzypzRX0

VARIABLE9
07-12-20, 05:22
Since this need for face coverings is persisting, wondering if anyone has recommendations beyond the ones originally posted. The Buff and bandanas I have been using still work fine, just seeing what’s out there now and what’s been working that may be more pro / subdued.

FYI not interested in masks like this:

prepare
07-12-20, 06:22

VARIABLE9
07-12-20, 11:00
Yeah no debate. But if you live somewhere these things are required you want to have options. Thanks for not offering a helpful response.

VIP3R 237
07-12-20, 11:35
I bought a gaiter/mask from these guys and it’s fairly comfortable. I like how they have multiple pattern options

https://www.0241tactical.com/product/mask-/121?cp=true&sa=true&sbp=false&q=false

OH58D
07-12-20, 11:40
Since this need for face coverings is persisting, wondering if anyone has recommendations beyond the ones originally posted. The Buff and bandanas I have been using still work fine, just seeing what’s out there now and what’s been working that may be more pro / subdued.

For me, a bandana was not acceptable considering my incident this past Thursday. Now every local Hitler at the grocery store, gas station, big box store, is now the last word on what is acceptable. They get to decide what is correct and what is not. It must be Hell in the banking business these days when a full head or full face mask becomes the norm. This probably hasn't unnoticed by any would be holdup artist.

VIP3R 237
07-12-20, 11:51
I work part time at an LGS and every time I see someone walk in with a mask, hat, and sunglasses my hand instinctively touches my glock.

For me, a bandana was not acceptable considering my incident this past Thursday. Now every local Hitler at the grocery store, gas station, big box store, is now the last word on what is acceptable. They get to decide what is correct and what is not. It must be Hell in the banking business these days when a full head or full face mask becomes the norm. This probably hasn't unnoticed by any would be holdup artist.

AndyLate
07-12-20, 12:28
I have a tan gaiter that is pretty comfortable, I like it because I can pull it down around my neck in my office and just slip it up when I walk around. It's also very easy to breath in, but meets the requirements of a cloth face covering. I need to find more in a different color, the guys at work keep asking me if I forgot my AK. Its also a little warm for working where there isn't AC.

Andy

Dr. Bullseye
07-12-20, 12:32
The Mask is a sign of obedience and subservience to a political philosophy. It has no basis in science. I refuse to wear a mask. A supermarket required it, I went to a market which did not. My bank required a mask, I closed my account and went to a bank down the street.

AndyLate
07-12-20, 13:02
I would also suggest looking locally. Lots of folks making masks, some are pretty good.

Andy

Life's a Hillary
07-12-20, 13:13
The Mask is a sign of obedience and subservience to a political philosophy. It has no basis in science. I refuse to wear a mask. A supermarket required it, I went to a market which did not. My bank required a mask, I closed my account and went to a bank down the street.

Guessing that Dr in your username isn’t an MD

MountainRaven
07-12-20, 13:22
My brother gave me one made by Mystery Ranch and it's better than the HSP ones in almost every way. The only thing that's better about the HSP masks is that they are low-bulk and easily folded and tossed in a pocket.

Guessing that Dr in your username isn’t an MD

I don't know anyone who uses, "Dr," in their online names who actually has a doctorate in anything.

Guys with, "doc," on the other hand, different story.

utahjeepr
07-12-20, 22:04
I hate this sharia law face burka crap. How did America turn into goatfukistan? When I absolutely gotta, I wear a skull design scarf or I have cut the sleeves off of some t-shirts and I use those as masks.

Belmont31R
07-12-20, 22:38
We ordered Domino's pizza today and I got kicked out :blink:

Walked in and the employee said I have to have a mask. Told her I just have a pickup order that is ready. She told me again I need a mask. So I walked out and we went to Subway instead. Ordered Subway online and sat in the car so I called the Domino's location while waiting and had the order cancelled. I'm sure the employees liked eating my pizza but **** that nonsense.

Subway is in the same strip as a local grocery store and not one person with a mask on there besides the employees when I picked up a few things at the same time. Older customers 60-70+ with no mask on.

My twin sons are also out at a Boy Scout summer camp for the next week. National program cancelled all summer camps so our Troop is doing their own summer camp. Been holding meetings for weeks at a local park.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-12-20, 23:24
I 3D printed some masks and face shields, more as a test and because for awhile it was really uncertain if my wife's hospital would have N95s.

There is the perfect solution and then there is what happens in the real world. That warning on the masks above is interesting, and is more of a legal than medical statement. Why does it mention COVID specifically... That is so if you get COVID you can't go sue the mask maker. Odd that they don't mention TB or anything else....

My favorite is the FB meme about how masks are bad because they trap stuff that you have coughed up.... So what is it? Do they stop the spread of droplets or not??? And anyone that says the virus is smaller than the holes in an N95 is a moron.

The ultimate irony is if the number and effect of COVID deaths is enough to just tip the scales in favor of Biden. I'm surprised it isn't the lefties screaming about wearing masks so they can spread it better.

Masks work, they aren't perfect and people wear them wrong. But its like getting at least some of reactor rods into a run away reactor- it might keep it from going crtiical and screwing things up.

IT just amazes me that in the middle of this, with Trump's reelection vs the complete socialist take-over, and people will not do literally the smallest thing to help mitigate it.

I took a month off from the GD the last time this came up. I just don't get it.

Belmont31R
07-12-20, 23:54
I 3D printed some masks and face shields, more as a test and because for awhile it was really uncertain if my wife's hospital would have N95s.

There is the perfect solution and then there is what happens in the real world. That warning on the masks above is interesting, and is more of a legal than medical statement. Why does it mention COVID specifically... That is so if you get COVID you can't go sue the mask maker. Odd that they don't mention TB or anything else....

My favorite is the FB meme about how masks are bad because they trap stuff that you have coughed up.... So what is it? Do they stop the spread of droplets or not??? And anyone that says the virus is smaller than the holes in an N95 is a moron.

The ultimate irony is if the number and effect of COVID deaths is enough to just tip the scales in favor of Biden. I'm surprised it isn't the lefties screaming about wearing masks so they can spread it better.

Masks work, they aren't perfect and people wear them wrong. But its like getting at least some of reactor rods into a run away reactor- it might keep it from going crtiical and screwing things up.

IT just amazes me that in the middle of this, with Trump's reelection vs the complete socialist take-over, and people will not do literally the smallest thing to help mitigate it.

I took a month off from the GD the last time this came up. I just don't get it.

Because the general populace is not getting a fresh supply of effective masks and even if they did the majority aren't donning or removing them correctly.

Go walk around a store and look at the mask users. People holding phones up to their face touching the mask and people grabbing a cart with no sanitation done. Then constantly touching and adjusting their mask.

I keep a supply of wipes in the car I soak with sanitizer we got through a distillery for the alcohol and wipe my hands often while shopping and wipe my cards off after being used in a terminal. We clean off products before giving them to our kids.

At work we had one positive case, and I was the closest person to them. With our schedules the exposure was about an hour and half for a few days. I think we already had this around Feb but I didn't get sick after that exposure. 3 of us got called into HR and sent home for 14 days from the first date of contact.

The point is the exposure risk is not walking by someone in a store with a huge air volume moving around or outside with open air and the UV from the sun beating down. I keep getting told about coughing or sneezing but who the **** does that anyways? I get seasonal allergies and end up ordering a bottle of pills every spring but coughing and sneezing is not something we do normally.

The N95 thing is curious because those are designed to protect the wearer from outside contamination like dry wall finishing or sanding shit you don't want to breathe in. They aren't made to protect an infected person from breathing out. A lot of them have valves for exhalation that bypasses the mask filter material and exhale straight out.

Also the Japanese are already huge germaphobes and decades ago we had one as an exchange student stay with us. She would take 2-4 hour long baths multiple times a week.

Buncheong
07-14-20, 02:03

This man gets it ^

That’s what I’ve done since March with zero issues.

The_War_Wagon
07-14-20, 08:02
It's about as useful...

https://www.cheapbats.com/uploads/commerce/images/large/all-star-traditional-catchers-face-mask-fm25luc.jpg

AndyLate
07-14-20, 08:12
Wanted to point out that the post title is mask options, not mask opinions.

Andy

AwaySooner
07-24-20, 17:28
I use S.O. Tech first responder mask. A few pro:
- Pocket is the right size to insert disposable surgical mask.
- It has metal wire to share around the nose.
- The band wrap around your head rather than your ears, a lot more comfortable.
- Made in USA
- Great price.

https://www.optactical.com/stefama3pakh.html

For crowded places like groceries stores, I stepped up to China/South Korea KN95 with a O.R cloth mask covering to prolong usage. KN95 is like $3.00 now.

P2Vaircrewman
07-25-20, 09:59
Mask, what is it exactly? Since there is no mandated specifications on what it is or should be capable of doing it can be anything you want it to be. You can just as well pull the leg of a panty hose over your face and call it a mask. The Lone Range's mask is a mask, I could put on on and I am complying with the ware a mask order. I ware a "mask", only when necessary to accomplish my mission, a tee shirt material tube buff. I can put it around my neck and pull it up when needed. It is not as restrictive as a "mask" mask but it meets the ware a mask requirements of the mask Nazi.

OH58D
07-25-20, 10:10
Mask, what is it exactly? Since there is no mandated specifications on what it is or should be capable of doing it can be anything you want it to be. You can just as well pull the leg of a panty hose over your face and call it a mask. The Lone Range's mask is a mask, I could put on on and I am complying with the ware a mask order. I ware a "mask", only when necessary to accomplish my mission, a tee shirt material tube buff. I can put it around my neck and pull it up when needed. It is not as restrictive as a "mask" mask but it meets the ware a mask requirements of the mask Nazi.
The bandana held over my face sure didn't meet the threshold of a mask when I entered that convenience store/gas station on the Santa Ana Pueblo earlier this month. I guess elastic straps around my ears would have made all the difference?

There's a side of me that really wants to push the envelope with a mask that demonstrates my disgust with the new normal we are being force fed. And then the other side of my personality just wants to avoid any and all contact with the rest of society and the madness.

Life's a Hillary
07-25-20, 11:08
Apologies to whoever posted it before since I forgot and can’t give them credit but I got these and they are great and have utility whenever this pandemic is over. 5 gaiters for $25 after shipping, keep a few in my car so I always have a spare on hand. Much more comfortable than a regular mask and easy to put down/pull up if you’re making multiple stops.

https://safishing.com/shop/buy-1-get-4-free-face-shields-a51/#configuration

mrbieler
07-25-20, 12:08
I have a few of the SoTech masks I use for work. SoTech is local to me, have been great when I've been to their shop, and it keeps my customers happy. They are reasonably comfortable. Most of my hospital clients require that I take off my mask and use one of their disposable masks when I'm in the facility.

When I'm not at work, if I need a mask, I have a couple of old school prairie rags I use or a shemagh if I have to.

AndyLate
07-25-20, 13:50
Apologies to whoever posted it before since I forgot and can’t give them credit but I got these and they are great and have utility whenever this pandemic is over. 5 gaiters for $25 after shipping, keep a few in my car so I always have a spare on hand. Much more comfortable than a regular mask and easy to put down/pull up if you’re making multiple stops.

https://safishing.com/shop/buy-1-get-4-free-face-shields-a51/#configuration

I wear something very similar at work, it's easy to slip it up when I step out of my office and back down when I am in. Turning around to go back in my office when I forget my mask gets old fast. I'm not under any delusion that they stop much, but they meet the requirement for a cloth cover over the mouth and nose.

Plus I can still use them when this crap is over.

Andy

ZGXtreme
07-25-20, 21:18
There's a side of me that really wants to push the envelope with a mask that demonstrates my disgust with the new normal we are being force fed. And then the other side of my personality just wants to avoid any and all contact with the rest of society and the madness.

So far..... Oklahoma hasn’t mandated it at the state level and our city is one of the gold outs thus far in the OKC Metro which actually has shocked me. That said businesses are still going stupid but we’ve managed to avoid those.

If the day comes any of that changes I’m torn over a full head Trump Halloween mask or a full Batman mask.

MountainRaven
07-25-20, 21:48
Having now had to wear a mask for eight hours a day for a week and a half, I've rethought my Mystery Ranch vs. HSP conclusion:

The Mystery Ranch masks are great if you have glasses and are going to wear the mask for a short period of time.

The HSP masks are far more comfortable to wear for hours on end - and not especially difficult to keep from fogging glasses up. My biggest complaint about the HSP masks that I have is just that the way they fit, exactly, varies from one to another - some are more comfortable than others.

philcam
07-25-20, 22:11
Anyone know of an XL warm weather neck gaiter? I like the ones I have now, just having something around my neck annoys me, I'd like to find something with a loose fit.

jsbhike
08-01-20, 07:49
Here is your next mandate.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/30/fauci-urges-americans-to-wear-goggles-for-added-covid-19-protection/

Arik
08-01-20, 09:18

https://nypost.com/2020/07/30/fauci-urges-americans-to-wear-goggles-for-added-covid-19-protection/Full bio suit is next

I'm just going to start wearing a riot helmet and a riot shield. At this point it will it won't be out of place and is there if I need it!

ZGXtreme
08-01-20, 17:13
Next time I’m forced to go to a store mandating mask I’m just throwing on my gas mask and calling it a day. They wanna be stupid bout this whole thing, let’s go full throttle.

prepare
08-01-20, 18:16
Remember it doesn't have to be a mask. You can blow you nose all over a bandana and then tie it on with big gobs of snot running off the outside of it but as long as its cover your mouth and nose your gtg.

AndyLate
08-01-20, 18:42
I saw a dude cut a sleeve off his t-shirt and then wear it like a (very short) gaiter to go in a store.

If I could have figured out what he was doing, I would have given him one of the spare disposables I keep in my truck.

Andy

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-01-20, 20:07

https://nypost.com/2020/07/30/fauci-urges-americans-to-wear-goggles-for-added-covid-19-protection/

At least you can kind of communicate with your eyes since no one can hear you clearly with a mask... And what about eye glass wearers?

When asked if eye protection will become a formal recommendation at some point, he said, “It might, if you really want perfect protection of the mucosal surfaces.”

Shut your whore V-Jay-Jay.

Diamondback
08-01-20, 20:51
Part of me is tempted to suggest that we should just consider Stormtrooper headbuckets. If that's what they wanna call us and think we are...

WHAT?! The face IS covered... :D

hotrodder636
08-01-20, 20:58
Wear a mask when you go out they said...I don’t know what the big deal was.63303

ZGXtreme
08-03-20, 00:02
Part of me is tempted to suggest that we should just consider Stormtrooper headbuckets. If that's what they wanna call us and think we are...

WHAT?! The face IS covered... :D

I’m trying to find a full head sheep mask. If I can’t find anything suitable may just go with a Trump one.

So fatigued with all this crap.

jsbhike
08-12-20, 15:20
Gaiters are bad

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/neck-gaiters-may-do-more-harm-than-not-wearing-a-mask-at-all-study-shows/?intcid=CNI-00-10aaa3a&ftag=CNM-00-10aab4i&_amp=1*1da1bq5*s_vid*YW1wLThkOVRXeFVqM2JUN0FCeDBFa0ZqUWc.

Vic79
08-12-20, 17:29
Gaiters are bad

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/neck-gaiters-may-do-more-harm-than-not-wearing-a-mask-at-all-study-shows/?intcid=CNI-00-10aaa3a&ftag=CNM-00-10aab4i&_amp=1*1da1bq5*s_vid*YW1wLThkOVRXeFVqM2JUN0FCeDBFa0ZqUWc.

Who would’ve thought, they are again moving the goalposts. **** them and their study.

Rogue556
08-12-20, 21:00
So far..... Oklahoma hasn’t mandated it at the state level and our city is one of the gold outs thus far in the OKC Metro which actually has shocked me. That said businesses are still going stupid but we’ve managed to avoid those.

If the day comes any of that changes I’m torn over a full head Trump Halloween mask or a full Batman mask.I'm located North West of Tulsa and the vast majority of people I meet are sick of the fear mongering and mask craziness. Of course, most I know will still obey mask policies in certain stores.

I walked into our local Walmart earlier to pick up a few things. I didn't have a mask and walked in behind a large group of mask clad folks. The employees definitely noticed, but didn't say anything. There were probably five or so others in the store also maskless. At this point I'm just not going to follow the BS. If someone wants to tell me to leave, then by all means they can. I'll just give my money to someone else who wants it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

JulyAZ
08-12-20, 21:23
I found these on Instagram, guy has an Etsy store. mask are super comfortable, and remarkably breathable. They only down side is they are cordura which stifles your voice. So they are hard to talk out of. But overall my favorite mask I have (Haley strategic, Crye, Home mades, cheap store mask). And the fact they stock arid is an extreme plus for me. I work in medical, so I have no choice in wearing mask to keep my employment.

Also the mask attach around the head, and not behind the ear so it’s super comfortable.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200813/4325ef079bf8e0341244ffed2a8401e7.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200813/c2548c2c3baa34bc5e862cd25c325a92.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200813/dd50d598f4d33222fd9e2a517596ed6d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VARIABLE9
08-26-20, 11:23
Haven’t really found anything other than gaiters that I can live with. I am in an area that masks or face coverings are required so I need something on the daily. Already had a few Buff gaiters from motorcycling, they work fine but the ones I had were hot in summer (apparently they make lighter ones too). Purchased a few Mission gaiters at the local HD. One longer, one shorter at $19 and $9 respectively. Very lightweight, comfortable on very hot humid days. I’d recommend.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-26-20, 12:11
Haven’t really found anything other than gaiters that I can live with. I am in an area that masks or face coverings are required so I need something on the daily. Already had a few Buff gaiters from motorcycling, they work fine but the ones I had were hot in summer (apparently they make lighter ones too). Purchased a few Mission gaiters at the local HD. One longer, one shorter at $19 and $9 respectively. Very lightweight, comfortable on very hot humid days. I’d recommend.

Same here. Especially with a beard wearing a normal mask looks pretty funny on me so I just stick with gators.

jbjh
08-26-20, 13:48
Just got one of these in -

https://defybags.com/collections/accessories-1/masks

Well made, with good materials. They make awesome bags as well.

It has wings top and bottom that can extend to cover facial hair. I especially like that it doesn’t wrap around my ears, as that just screws with wearing my reading glasses (they’ve fallen off my face constantly since lockdown because the temples keep slipping off from being over the mask).

Sent from 80ms in the future

ZGXtreme
08-27-20, 22:23
I gave up looking. Cheaper to pay the ticket, frame it and put it up on the wall lol.

Averageman
08-27-20, 22:59
If I wear another mask it will be a balaclava and not to prevent the WuHan Flu either.

Buckaroo
08-27-20, 23:10
I need a mask to match my Hawaiian shirt

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Vandal
08-28-20, 01:37
Screw it, I'm just going to start wearing my gas mask everywhere.

ZGXtreme
08-28-20, 07:35
Screw it, I'm just going to start wearing my gas mask everywhere.

That was my other option rather than non compliance just for the looks it’s garner.