PDA

View Full Version : Best AR15 spare parts kit.

MrHandsome
05-04-20, 18:43
Just finished my AR build. Now all I need are some spare parts for when things start to wear out. I saw this online but haven’t heard of the company. Anyone have experience with Xtreme precision or recommend a different spare parts kit?

http://ar15xtreme.com/product/ar-15-easily-lost-or-damaged-parts-set/

Wake27
05-04-20, 18:53
Go to Forward Controls Design. Much more better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 Inf
05-04-20, 19:07
About the Forward Control Designs recommendation: Roger Wang, owner/CEO, is a devotee of quality and function over form. That isn't to say that his designs lack aesthetic appeal, quite the opposite IMO, they are elegant yet subdued designs that work. You can rest assured that the springs and pins that FCD sells are sourced from quality manufacturers. Not saying the link you asked about isn't, but with FCD you can rest assured.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/AR15-Springs-Kit_p_113.html - get the extra tension mag release spring and sub the hammer and trigger springs for extra safety detent and pivot pin detent springs - ($11.25)

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/AR15-detents-and-small-parts-kit_p_115.html - ($12.25 option to upgrade buffer retainer for additional $5.00 - do it)

flenna
05-04-20, 19:11
Here you go:

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/parts-accessories/128-bolt-carrier-group-hpmpi-tested-with-np3-carrier.html

everready73
05-04-20, 19:25
Can't go wrong with either of the above. FCD and Sionics are top notch

SOLGW uses an Schmid tool and kns detents for small parts and are gtg. I usually order off of a vendor not them direct

G&R Tactical also sells a bunch of Colt small parts individually. Just have to catch in stock

Joe Mamma
05-04-20, 19:37
Just finished my AR build. Now all I need are some spare parts for when things start to wear out. I saw this online but haven’t heard of the company. Anyone have experience with Xtreme precision or recommend a different spare parts kit?

http://ar15xtreme.com/product/ar-15-easily-lost-or-damaged-parts-set/

Two important things (in the context of AR15 maintenance/replacing worn parts) that I do not see in there are an extractor and cam pin.

Joe Mamma

MrHandsome
05-04-20, 19:43
Windham weaponry any good? I noticed they had some extra stuff those other kits didn’t. If the other kits are better I’ll go that rout, I’d rather quality.... but just checking

https://www.opticsplanet.com/windham-weaponry-pkmwk-most-wanted-parts-kit-ar15-and-m16-clamshell-package.html

hotrodder636
05-04-20, 19:46
Another FCD, Sionics recommendation here.

everready73
05-04-20, 19:55
Windham weaponry any good? I noticed they had some extra stuff those other kits didn’t. If the other kits are better I’ll go that rout, I’d rather quality.... but just checking

https://www.opticsplanet.com/windham-weaponry-pkmwk-most-wanted-parts-kit-ar15-and-m16-clamshell-package.html

Never used them, but I don't like guessing. I wouldn't buy a WW gun do I won't buy their small parts

The other options listed are better. I would add white oak as well

JediGuy
05-04-20, 20:48
Because I have pruned the heard and don’t have any general 5.56 builds planned, I only expect to get FCD going forward; I currently have one to replace all the small parts on a PSA lower and another as a backup. I like what they offer, though you do pay for it. This seems like the ideal option to collect backup small parts.

SOLGW and Sionics parts kits have worked fine for me, though you’d end up with extra parts you don’t really need as backups, like bolt catches. I’ve gotten some individual Colt items from Brownells.

VLODPG
05-04-20, 21:03
Go to Forward Controls Design. Much more better.

I've recently ordered the following:

RBF (Reinforced Buffer retainer, Forward Controls)
PF-040 (Pins, Forward Controls, 0.040)
LDFA (Low Drag Forward Assist)
6315 Flash Suppressor

Ordered on a whim to check them out. The quality and attention to detail on the parts are second to none. I assemble uppers/lowers daily and have seem everything when it comes to quality or lack of it.

IMO, Forward Controls Design is one of the very best!

MrHandsome
05-04-20, 21:14
Ok tell me if I’m missing anything. My cart for forward control is: firing pin, gas tube (do I need to check for sizing or should I get from my up manufacturer), firing pin retainer, extractor kit, pin kit, spring kit. Also maybe JP enterprises ejector kit as forward Controls Design doesn’t sell those.

pag23
05-04-20, 21:29
About the Forward Control Designs recommendation: Roger Wang, owner/CEO, is a devotee of quality and function over form. That isn't to say that his designs lack aesthetic appeal, quite the opposite IMO, they are elegant yet subdued designs that work. You can rest assured that the springs and pins that FCD sells are sourced from quality manufacturers. Not saying the link you asked about isn't, but with FCD you can rest assured.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/AR15-Springs-Kit_p_113.html - get the extra tension mag release spring and sub the hammer and trigger springs for extra safety detent and pivot pin detent springs - ($11.25)

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/AR15-detents-and-small-parts-kit_p_115.html - ($12.25 option to upgrade buffer retainer for additional $5.00 - do it)

Thanks for the info...

Joe Mamma
05-05-20, 08:45
Ok tell me if I’m missing anything. My cart for forward control is: firing pin, gas tube (do I need to check for sizing or should I get from my up manufacturer), firing pin retainer, extractor kit, pin kit, spring kit. Also maybe JP enterprises ejector kit as forward Controls Design doesn’t sell those.

Sorry I didn't think of this when I posted earlier; one spare part you should get at some point is an extra buffer/recoil spring. There are a lot of different manufacturers, weights, materials, and designs out there. However, I would suggest getting the exact same one that you are using now to minimize the chance of any cycling and reliability problems if and when you put the new one in.

Joe Mamma

26 Inf
05-05-20, 09:03

gas tube (do I need to check for sizing or should I get from my up manufacturer) - your rifle should be one of four sommon gas system lengths:

Pistol = 4 inches
Carbine = 7 inches
Mid-Length = 9 inches
Rifle = 12

just order the proper gas tube by 'carbine' or 'mid-length' etc. (ETA: unless you have a KAC rifle, or an intermediate, BRT comes to mind, those are the four lengths.)

A gas tube really isn't a part that you'll need to replace often.

PrivateCitizen
05-05-20, 13:04
I've a decent number of AR15Xtreme.com parts and I've always been happy with them.

For a while now I just order a few of the FCD kits or tack a few on to every order. I doubt there is better quality. Best, they are simple to buy (you don't have to micro manage your shopping cart) and the monkey ships faster than you can imagine.

Duffy
05-05-20, 13:31
Thank you guys for your kind words! The shipping monkey also appreciates your praises :)

We design and make components for duty and defense firearms, where fashion has no place, but improvements to make proficient users more so matters. I don't believe in buying skills as some folks essentially believe they can do. Intelligent placement and shaping of control surfaces can do a great deal for the user without looking like something Hollywood wants to use in the next action movie, they'd never go for our products because they all have subdued aesthetics. There is no substitute for quality and making meaningful improvements that benefit the users, fashion definitely isn't one of them.

SeriousStudent
05-05-20, 20:16
Thank you guys for your kind words! The shipping monkey also appreciates your praises :)

We design and make components for duty and defense firearms, where fashion has no place, but improvements to make proficient users more so matters. I don't believe in buying skills as some folks essentially believe they can do. Intelligent placement and shaping of control surfaces can do a great deal for the user without looking like something Hollywood wants to use in the next action movie, they'd never go for our products because they all have subdued aesthetics. There is no substitute for quality and making meaningful improvements that benefit the users, fashion definitely isn't one of them.

Roger is a good dude, buy with confidence.

MistWolf
05-05-20, 22:06
Roger is a good dude, buy with confidence.

Yes. Yes, he is.

pag23
05-06-20, 06:09

Ordering stuff today...FYI my Aimpoint caps are awesome!

MrHandsome
05-06-20, 06:33
Just ordered my parts kits from FCD. Great customer service!

IndustrialHalo
05-06-20, 18:08
I"ve used more BCM lower parts kits than anything else, but FCD makes great parts. They ship fast for me too.

Hammer_Man
05-06-20, 18:27
Might as well toss in my two pennies. For non Colt complete kits I've had good luck with Sionics, and Geissele. Both kits are pretty affordable, and use Schmid selectors and bolt catches. For individual Colt parts you can find most items at Brownell's or G&R Tactical.

m1a_scoutguy
05-06-20, 23:56
I forgot about FCD, I have been getting small parts and a few extra bolts and other things from https://whitelabelarmory.com/ . There shipping was super fast and all parts are 100% USA. They also offer LPK with the Schmid Tool upgrade.