PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on set-up

brianc3
05-05-20, 17:00
So I'm jumping back into my AR's after a couple years and want to do a few upgrades. I currently have an Aimpoint H-1 with a lower 1/3 co-witness mount on a 16 inch BCM middy. I also have an Aimpoint ML2 mounted to a Colt le6920. I wanted to check out some magnified stuff so I have a Vortex Spitfire 3X prism on the way and a Vortex Venom 3moa reflex sight to mount at 45 degrees. So the question is What optic setup for which rifle? I'm not sure weather to ditch the H-1 or the ML2. Both rifles have a fixed Front sight post. the middy has a BCM mod 0 comp and the 6920 has a standard A2.

mark5pt56
05-05-20, 17:19
If not altering the rifles, send that stuff back and buy ammunition.

brianc3
05-05-20, 17:44

I've got a decent supply for the next few months. Just kicking around those optic combos. I'm not sure how much the H-1 or ML2 are still being used.

Robertsk1
05-05-20, 18:15
What you have now is fine. If the CompML2 and H1 are working I see no reason to upgrade them unless you just want the latest and greatest, or something more light weight. Im still running a CompM3 on one rifle and theres nothing wrong with it. Ive never used a magnifier but I can hit 300yds with my aimpoints without one. As for the offset reflex mount that is usually only paired with a rifle that running a magnified optic.

My setups are similar to yours, I run mid length BCMs with fixed fronts, fixed rears in lower 1/3 with aimpoints and compensators. They run great as is.

brianc3
05-05-20, 18:42
What you have now is fine. If the CompML2 and H1 are working I see no reason to upgrade them unless you just want the latest and greatest, or something more light weight. Im still running a CompM3 on one rifle and theres nothing wrong with it. Ive never used a magnifier but I can hit 300yds with my aimpoints without one. As for the offset reflex mount that is usually only paired with a rifle that running a magnified optic.

My setups are similar to yours, I run mid length BCMs with fixed fronts, fixed rears in lower 1/3 with aimpoints and compensators. They run great as is.

Yeah I may leave the middy alone and try the prism in the 6920. They run great as is but I've never run a magnified etched reticle and thought it would be cool to try out.

26 Inf
05-05-20, 19:00
Yeah I may leave the middy alone and try the prism in the 6920. They run great as is but I've never run a magnified etched reticle and thought it would be cool to try out.

Etched reticle prisms are pretty nice, especially if you have astigmatism, no blob of a dot. With mine I rarely turn on the illumination. Between 25 and 50 I begin to notice the magnification, inside 15 the fixed 3X really blows.

It won't work for fast-paced CQB, but I've found that if I flip my front cover down with the illumination on I can use the sight day or night, which is something I think is handy if I have 3 visitors when TEOTWAWKI kicks off.

Five_Point_Five_Six
05-05-20, 19:20
I'm not sure how much the H-1 or ML2 are still being used.

Both of those optics are still in use plenty of places by lots of people, and there's no way I'd swap an Aimpoint for any Vortex RDS or prism sight. My advice is rock on with what you have.

brianc3
05-05-20, 19:22
Etched reticle prisms are pretty nice, especially if you have astigmatism, no blob of a dot. With mine I rarely turn on the illumination. Between 25 and 50 I begin to notice the magnification, inside 15 the fixed 3X really blows.

It won't work for fast-paced CQB, but I've found that if I flip my front cover down with the illumination on I can use the sight day or night, which is something I think is handy if I have 3 visitors when TEOTWAWKI kicks off.

That's what I'v been seeing regarding the 3x, thats why I'm going to run it with an RMR at 45degrees.

Troutrunner
05-05-20, 19:55
I was in the exact position as the OP a few months ago, just getting back into shooting. 16" middy with an H1, 1/3 co-witness with FSB. I added a 3x magnifier and, with my eyes, it has helped at distance over 100 yards. It added weight but has been functional for my uses.

For the second rifle, I'm thinking of trying an LVPO instead of the newer H1 that is on it. Originally, I thought I would move the magnifier back and forth and still might. But I have an astigmatism. Something about the clear glass and dot of the LVPO is pulling me. The FSB doesn't ever bother me and I know I won't care with the LVPO either. Depends on what your rear BUIS is. If it folds down, then the LVPO could sit over it but would need to be removed to use the irons. I'm not in a situation where I would need speed to get to the irons except HD and then I'll use the red dot in the house and it will ghost ring the front site at lower 1/3. Close range, no problem.

Having one red dot and another LVPO I think is best of all worlds, at least for now.

TR

brianc3
05-05-20, 20:58
I was in the exact position as the OP a few months ago, just getting back into shooting. 16" middy with an H1, 1/3 co-witness with FSB. I added a 3x magnifier and, with my eyes, it has helped at distance over 100 yards. It added weight but has been functional for my uses.

For the second rifle, I'm thinking of trying an LVPO instead of the newer H1 that is on it. Originally, I thought I would move the magnifier back and forth and still might. But I have an astigmatism. Something about the clear glass and dot of the LVPO is pulling me. The FSB doesn't ever bother me and I know I won't care with the LVPO either. Depends on what your rear BUIS is. If it folds down, then the LVPO could sit over it but would need to be removed to use the irons. I'm not in a situation where I would need speed to get to the irons except HD and then I'll use the red dot in the house and it will ghost ring the front site at lower 1/3. Close range, no problem.

Having one red dot and another LVPO I think is best of all worlds, at least for now.

TR

The intriguing aspect of the etched reticle is that most people run them without the rear BUIS. I don't dislike my current setup, just never tried magnification before.

brianc3
05-05-20, 20:59
Both of those optics are still in use plenty of places by lots of people, and there's no way I'd swap an Aimpoint for any Vortex RDS or prism sight. My advice is rock on with what you have.

I may ultimately end up doing that.

GH41
05-06-20, 09:54

I agree.. Makes little sense to me especially if he is shooting 4 MOA ammunition out of a 4 MOA rifle.

brianc3
05-06-20, 09:59
I agree.. Makes little sense to me especially if he is shooting 4 MOA ammunition out of a 4 MOA rifle.

I'll be shooting M193 almost exclusively.

TCB
05-06-20, 20:02
My Agency issued me a 4moa H-1 6 years ago that is still in use daily and gets the crap beat out of it...nothing wrong with that optic.

CMV
05-08-20, 14:02
I still run an H-1 (~10 y/o), PRO (~8 y/o) and a M68/CompM2 that's almost 20 yrs old. Stuff is too expensive to put the latest & greatest on everything and the Aimpoints have a very long lifespan....

For magnified, that stuff mostly has Nikon Monarchs (again, old tech, but works & lasts). I have 1 LPVO Trij 1-6 AccuPoint. I like it, but thought it would be like an Aimpoint at 1x so was a tiny bit disappointed that it isn't quite the same and I will tend to "get lost in the optic" easily with it where I won't do that with an Aimpoint. But it is very handy to just dial it up and have the magnification,

Never tried a separate RDS magnifier unit.

R0CKETMAN
05-08-20, 17:26
H1 to Colt

LPVO on BCM

Budget ?
- Vortex Strike Eagle
- Burris XTR II 1-5 (dig it for the $)
- Vortex Razor
...and a ton of others