PDA

View Full Version : New With ARs, What Do you Reccomend?

Northwoods
11-24-08, 16:56
Before its posted, I did read the post w/ the chart. I'm here to get everyones personal opinion on what I should get with the criteria listed below (if theres more criteria, please ask). Thanks a bunch in advance!

Use: Mostly Plinking on a weekend
Price Range: Under $1000

From what I've been reading, I think that the S&W or Charles Daly(though this may be hard to find with my budget) may be the best choice for me considering budget versus quality?

rob_s
11-24-08, 16:58
It sounds like the S&W would be a great choice for you.

Eric
11-24-08, 17:18
I think that the S&W or Charles Daly(though this may be hard to find with my budget)
Those are sound choices. However, availability is the issue right now. If you can find a local shop that has one at a decent price, jump on it. Otherwise, get on a waiting list.

Northwoods
11-24-08, 17:22
Those are sound choices. However, availability is the issue right now. If you can find a local shop that has one at a decent price, jump on it. Otherwise, get on a waiting list.

I checked on the 8th at a local shop and they had a bunch in stock. They had a "optics ready" S&W, i kind of wanted open sights though... It was $899 is that a good price?

I am still trying to find a dealer that carries charles daly...

Jack_Stroker
11-24-08, 17:34
I checked on the 8th at a local shop and they had a bunch in stock. They had a "optics ready" S&W, i kind of wanted open sights though... It was $899 is that a good price?

I am still trying to find a dealer that carries charles daly...

$899 is a good price. However prices may be higher now. AR prices continue to climb in my area. I'd bet they are doing the same elsewhere in the country.

rob_s
11-24-08, 17:36
Personally, I'd skip the OR. You're just going to wind up shelling out another $100-$250 on irons anyway. If you're dead set on a 3-9x scope or something like that then the OR might not be bad.

Northwoods
11-24-08, 17:42
Personally, I'd skip the OR. You're just going to wind up shelling out another $100-$250 on irons anyway. If you're dead set on a 3-9x scope or something like that then the OR might not be bad.

Personally I want open sights.. but if they have them in stock, and nowhere else i may just have to bite the bullet, so to speak.. and buy the OR.

I just called another local store and they sold out.. shoot, let me see if the other store still has them :(

Northwoods
11-24-08, 18:03
Ok, heres the deal. The store has "a bunch of Bushmasters, a Remington, and an armlite in stock" but their other store, has one S & W OR in stock.

In general, how are Armlites?

Jack_Stroker
11-24-08, 22:05
Ok, heres the deal. The store has "a bunch of Bushmasters, a Remington, and an armlite in stock" but their other store, has one S & W OR in stock.

In general, how are Armlites?

Well the Bushmaster and the Remington are the same thing. Remington now owns Bushmaster and all Remingtons are just repainted Bushmasters with different stamps on them. The Armalite I've heard mixed things about but I've never really handled their AR-15. From what I hear you pay for the name but the quality is sub-par compared to others. I checked out one of their AR-10's recently and the fit and finish was disappointing.

T3550N
11-24-08, 23:31
I'm new to the AR scene too, so take this for what it's worth.
If you're looking to shell out $1000 for an AR, why not put a top shelf one on layaway for an extra 30-90 days and get one that's $1300-$1400. Sure it takes more discipline to not have the satisfaction of having it in your hands right away.
But as I've seen multiple people on this site say: Cry Once.

Just a thought.

Northwoods
11-24-08, 23:43
I'm new to the AR scene too, so take this for what it's worth.
If you're looking to shell out $1000 for an AR, why not put a top shelf one on layaway for an extra 30-90 days and get one that's $1300-$1400. Sure it takes more discipline to not have the satisfaction of having it in your hands right away.
But as I've seen multiple people on this site say: Cry Once.

Just a thought.

To be honest i dont know if ill even find atop of the line one to put on layway. But honestly, i just felt a grand is a good amount to spend on a plinking, self defense weapon.. i will probably shoot it a dozen times a year at the range... no more.

Eric
11-25-08, 00:32

In general, how are Armlites? The debate about brands will go on forever, but for the most part, I would put Armalite on about the same level as Bushmaster.
One short Armalite review. (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322)

jhs1969
11-25-08, 00:56
I bought a LMT complete upper and complete lower from the same dealer at the same time, shipped for $1056 this past Feb. Price and availability may be different now. If you shop around you may be able to get a higher end carbine for not much more than a grand, depends on if you are willing to do the homework. Just a thought.

rob_s
11-25-08, 06:16
Armalites tend to run just a shade less than Bushmasters but have more of the proper specs. The big difference is that Armalite still uses 4140 barrel steel while Bushmaster uses 4150. Not a great big issue at all.

Armalite also uses a mid-length gas system which most find preferable these days.

$:$, I'd pick the Armalite over the BM.

Iraqgunz
11-25-08, 06:23
rob_s,

Is the barrel steel in a Colt weapon the same as the 4150 that BM uses? Does BM make their own barrels or are they made somewhere else? If outsourced do you know who makes them?

Armalites tend to run just a shade less than Bushmasters but have more of the proper specs. The big difference is that Armalite still uses 4140 barrel steel while Bushmaster uses 4150. Not a great big issue at all.

Armalite also uses a mid-length gas system which most find preferable these days.

$:$, I'd pick the Armalite over the BM.

rob_s
11-25-08, 06:37
As I understand it, the BM barrel steel is NOT the same as used by Colt, LMT, BCM, etc. While it is 4150 it does not meet the mil. standard. The correct steel as used by the above is
Mil-Spec 11595E - 4150 Grade Barrel Steel (CMV)

Northwoods
11-27-08, 22:20
Another question.

If i make a purchase, and a few months later it is banned.... how will that work out legally? Pre-ban items are untouchable correct?

Another scenario.. i make a purchase and its banned. A year later i run into tough financial times and I need to sell it. Is it allowed? Or are you "stuck with it" since its been banned? Or can you sell it, and maybe make a profit since it is "pre-ban"?

Thanks and sorry if these questions have been asked already.

Don Robison
11-27-08, 22:26
Another question.

If i make a purchase, and a few months later it is banned.... how will that work out legally? Pre-ban items are untouchable correct?

Another scenario.. i make a purchase and its banned. A year later i run into tough financial times and I need to sell it. Is it allowed? Or are you "stuck with it" since its been banned? Or can you sell it, and maybe make a profit since it is "pre-ban"?

Thanks and sorry if these questions have been asked already.

It all depends on how it's written. If it's similar to the last ban you'll be fine legally. If they don't "grandfather" pre-ban stuff let your conscience be your guide.

Northwoods
11-30-08, 10:18
Well they sold out of most of what they had before I got there, no more S&W :(

Im going to see if I can put an order in for one, and maybe with a little luck i can get one next spring :( If not, ill just have to get that SA 1911 that ive been wanting :D

austinN4
11-30-08, 10:42
Well they sold out of most of what they had before I got there, no more S&W :(
If you are LEO, try GT Distributors - great prices!
http://www.gtdist.com/SearchResults.aspx?SubCat=RIF&SubSub=AUTO&Category=GUNAM

Northwoods
11-30-08, 11:03
If you are LEO, try GT Distributors - great prices!
http://www.gtdist.com/SearchResults.aspx?SubCat=RIF&SubSub=AUTO&Category=GUNAM

So you have to be a LEO to order off of there?