PDA

View Full Version : Thread protector extending slightly beyond muzzle

tim808
05-07-20, 03:18
I tried googling but my Google fu is weak tonight. And everyone here is a lot smarter than me.

I’m building a Grendel upper for use in the field (5-10%) and range fun (90-95%).

I have a cheapo BCA “swirl” flashhider laying around somewhere that could work but I’m considering a 3/4” long x .730 diameter thread protector instead of a 5/8” long protector.

I’m thinking the extra 1/8” will help protect the crown of the barrel and won’t affect accuracy at the range (100 yards is the longest range that I have access to until I retire to the mainland).

I was also planning on trying just loc-tite and not using anti-seize and a crush washer

FWIW:
• I put electric tape on the barrel tip when in the field.
• my other toys use flashhiders with crush washers
• 20” faxon heavy fluted barrel (about 2 lbs. I know, 16” is fine for hunting and is still supersonic at 1000. It was cheap, I’m cheap
and I’m going to regret being cheap. But I’m not cheap enough to put that extra bca fh on my upper)

Thanks in advance

js8588
05-07-20, 07:07
So, what's the question?

CMV
05-07-20, 10:25
I can't think of any real issue and as you point out you get a "crown protector" along with thread protector.

The only concern I see is .730 diameter, .630 hole, you only have .050" width on the thread protector which is normally fine. But since it's sticking out and presumably getting knocked around a bit, make it out of steel....not aluminum or something that will get boogered being that thin. But even .050" thick 7075 AL is fairly tough.

tim808
05-07-20, 12:03
CMV- I was planning on a SS protector. good point about the thickness.

I was thinking .730 to match the barrel profile. I’ll think about getting the .750 diameter version

I knew people on here were smart!!

CMV
05-07-20, 12:15
Might be cheaper to buy whatever you picked out, but I can make you one to your specs if you want.

Also, you shouldn't need loctite and I wouldn't do that. Most likely that will at some point lead to chewing up your thread protector with a pair of pliers to remove it. They are typically knurled for a reason - just hand tighten.

CMV
05-07-20, 12:18
double post - sorry

tim808
05-08-20, 00:43
CMV - Thanks for the offer but I ordered the thread protector this morning after I posted. Thanks again for the help!