PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for 300 blackout muzzle device

Austin26
05-08-20, 07:35
Hello, I don't know if this is the right forum but I'm looking for advice for my rifle. My priorities are to keep the muzzle on target (compensator). Yes, less felt recoil and flash hiding would be nice but I'd rather have more rounds on target. What is everyone's thoughts on this, budget isn't really an issue though I rarely find the most expensive thing to truly be the best quality or best fit. Thanks in advance.

The 300 blackout barrel is 16" and I'll be shooting only 110-125g supersonic rounds if that matters.

I'm new to the 300 blackout cartridge. My VG6 Gamma I have isn't impressing me but like I said, I've never fired this round before.

CMV
05-08-20, 08:16
#1 is you're missing a huge benefit of this round not shooting subsonic loads suppressed. That is the appeal of 300BLK (to me anyway) - you have a round hitting at 100yds with same energy as a .45ACP at the muzzle and it's Hollywood quiet. Then you have the capability to get just about 7.62x39 performance, but to me that is secondary.

For just a brake, the old school AR-10/308 style work well. Just the slots in side & holes in top - very basic. But they're good in that application. Something similar to this JP https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/compensators-amp-muzzle-brakes/ar-308-tactical-compensator-1x2-75-925-30-cal-prod86875.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=j+p+enterprises - there are many variations of this design

Biggy
05-08-20, 08:43
Costly, but IMHO, maybe the best
*all around* muzzle device that has great muzzle compensation.

Austin26
05-08-20, 10:07
I appreciate the response CMV, though I just am not concerned with suppressed subsonic. I wanted a platform I'm very familiar with (AR) while being able to shoot similar to an AK. I got the long barrel for the extra velocity, for instance.

Thank you for the recommendation, but if that is for the AR-10 /.308, wouldn't that behave much differently with a 300 blackout? It's less powerful than a 308.

B Cart
05-08-20, 10:26
If you want a comp that also has good flash suppression capability, I think your best option would be the Precision Armament EFAB. They aren't cheap, but they do both well. I have an EFAB on one of my 300 BLK guns and have liked it so far. It's not as good at reducing muzzle rise as a pure brake or comp, but it's close, and it does a great job of also reducing flash signature at the same time. Sounds like you may want a straight comp, but i've liked the EFAB that offers both pretty well.

I have a Silencerco ASR brake on my other suppressed 300 BLK, and it is an awesome standalone brake, with added ability to run a can if you ever go that route.

Also, interesting to hear you don't like the VG6 on the 300BLK. I really like the VG6 on my 5.56 guns, but i've never tried in on a blackout.

Austin26
05-08-20, 11:54
Awesome, thank you for the feedback. I'll check those out.

And yes, I'm not thrilled with the VG6 Gamma so far but I haven't formed an opinion completely as I've only shot it briefly and it was from a bench. Do you have the Gamma? They make several models it seems like. I've never shot an AR from a bench so it felt weird plus I was focusing on zeroing my scope at the time. I'm just definitely open to hearing people's thoughts as I'm open to changing if I feel I didn't make the best decision the first time around.

B Cart
05-08-20, 13:36
Awesome, thank you for the feedback. I'll check those out.

And yes, I'm not thrilled with the VG6 Gamma so far but I haven't formed an opinion completely as I've only shot it briefly and it was from a bench. Do you have the Gamma? They make several models it seems like. I've never shot an AR from a bench so it felt weird plus I was focusing on zeroing my scope at the time. I'm just definitely open to hearing people's thoughts as I'm open to changing if I feel I didn't make the best decision the first time around.

I have the VG6 gamma on two of my 5.56 ARs, but not in .30cal. The VG6 has top vents, so the idea is to reduce muzzle rise, similar to the Battlecomp and a few others out there. Mine seem to work really well on my 5.56 guns, so i would think it would also perform will on a 300blk. If you've never shot from a bench zeroing, it may be hard to really judge your experience if you have nothing to compare it to. It's a different experience than shooting a gun standing etc. Might be worth looking at some Precision Armament options, but it's hard to justify the $ just to see if they work a little better... Do you have any friends or local shooters who have other options you could test?

26 Inf
05-08-20, 15:38
This would also work, and has a pretty solid reputation:

https://www.surefire.com/sfmb-762-5-8-24.html

Austin26
05-08-20, 16:20
Thank y'all and yes, I'll be making my way to a real range that I can shoot and move at and see what I think. I'm glad to see that the VG6 Gamma is well liked. I've built only two ARs. One was a 6.8mm with a big battle comp, and this one with the Gamma. Everything else was my regular M16 with A2 birdcage.

Either way I'll be looking up reviews and specs for each of the devices y'all suggested.

themonk
05-08-20, 16:25
Any double barreled comp will work just fine - AAC, surefire, KAC, Dead Air. You may want to have a look at this 30 Caliber Muzzle Brake Shootout - https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/308-muzzle-brake-test/

Austin26
05-08-20, 17:39
Any double barreled comp will work just fine - AAC, surefire, KAC, Dead Air. You may want to have a look at this 30 Caliber Muzzle Brake Shootout - https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/308-muzzle-brake-test/

Thank you but that's for a 308, not the 300 blackout. 300 blk is only 7.62mm x 35mm. Much less powerful than a true 308.

themonk
05-08-20, 17:45
Thank you but that's for a 308, not the 300 blackout. 300 blk is only 7.62mm x 35mm. Much less powerful than a true 308.

It has to be a 30 cal comp as the hole at the end of the muzzle device is for a 30 caliber bullet = 300 blackout. You put a 223 comp on a 300 blackout gun and shoot it your going to have a very bad day!

gaijin
05-08-20, 17:57
I run a Shurfire with a 110 gr. Blacktip handload.
The 300 Blk doesn’t have the gas volume to work with that the 5.56 has.
Still, the comp decreases accurate shot to shot time.

Austin26
05-08-20, 19:47
It has to be a 30 cal comp as the hole at the end of the muzzle device is for a 30 caliber bullet = 300 blackout. You put a 223 comp on a 300 blackout gun and shoot it your going to have a very bad day!

Haha yes, and I forget when I read and watched reviews on the Gamma for 30 caliber if it was a 7.62mmx35mm but it doesn't sound like the kind of thing I'd overlook. Unfortunately my memory isn't great.

And gaijin,

Could you elaborate on how the 300 blk doesn't have the gas volume that 5.56 has? My rifle is carbine gas and 16". I'm not familiar with powders and would like to learn. Or do you have any links? Thank you.

tb-av
05-08-20, 20:28
#1 is you're missing a huge benefit of this round not shooting subsonic loads suppressed. That is the appeal of 300BLK (to me anyway) - you have a round hitting at 100yds with same energy as a .45ACP at the muzzle and it's Hollywood quiet.

Glad I'm not alone.

Austin26
05-09-20, 06:59
After reading some more I may have found the problem, and it's my lack of experience with the round and not noticing folks were mostly talking about subsonic.

I originally trained on an M16 which has almost no recoil. Since M16s have the longer buffer tubes, going to a carbine buffer like I have now should increase felt recoil a bit. So that's step one.

Step two is that the 300 blk round increases recoil from 50-300%, though I see a lot of conflicting amounts. Most say something like this:

"300 Blackout vs 223 Recoil

With the 200 grain subsonic, recoil on the 300 Blackout is just barely more than 223 if you have same-weight rifles. In the 110-130 grain supersonic rounds, it’s nearly 50% more."

https://www.huntinggearguy.com/tips/300-blackout-vs-223/

Thanks for the help guys, but this just needs range time and shooting from standing. :)

Clint
05-09-20, 08:37
Our Covert Comp 762 is very popular as a general purpose muzzle device that works with 30 cal.

https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net/images/812059/294588145.jpg

26 Inf
05-09-20, 14:46
Here's the link to the BRT linear comp, very reasonably priced.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-Covert-Comp-7-62-p7674675

I'm sorry I didn't think of BRT when I put together my PCC.

gaijin
05-09-20, 15:25
Haha yes, and I forget when I read and watched reviews on the Gamma for 30 caliber if it was a 7.62mmx35mm but it doesn't sound like the kind of thing I'd overlook. Unfortunately my memory isn't great.

And gaijin,

Could you elaborate on how the 300 blk doesn't have the gas volume that 5.56 has? My rifle is carbine gas and 16". I'm not familiar with powders and would like to learn. Or do you have any links? Thank you.

Supers run a SLOW pistol powder; H110 a favorite as is AA9.
The charge weight is also smaller than a 5.56 cartridge.
Comps operate on gas volume, Max chamber pressure may or may not be present with a high gas volume load.
It would depend on a number of factors; powder, bullet/bullet weight (a monolithic copper generates more pressure than a lead core JSP/JHP), COAL/seating depth, etc.

A compensator on a 300 Blk load will not be as efficient as a comp on a .308 or 5.56 for these reasons.

Austin26
05-09-20, 15:38
Thank you for responding gaijin, and while I don't understand everything you just said I'll be reading into powders now.