PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a SEAL Recce clone and if so, what scope are you using?

Buncheong
05-10-20, 17:35
I’m not exactly cloning, TBH. But I bought a Centurion Arms Recce upper I wanted to use for a Recce carbine on a Colt lower receiver. So it’s clone-ish.

Sources say Leupold Mk 4 was used but also, Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x24 mm. Can’t find it anywhere.

Inquired with CPO LeClair and Mrs. LeClair (GREAT folks btw!) @CA. Chief recommends Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32mm. Unfortunately these are no longer in production from about 3 years ago and I can’t locate any available, anywhere.

And so, my Recce project is at a dead end ... unless I can source the recommended NXS, somehow.

Any other cloners/pseudo-cloners like me with a Recce project and if so, what optic did you select?

Thanking you in advance...

Cuda444
05-10-20, 17:48
The Leupold TS30-A2 Mark 4 2.5-8x36mm with the TMR reticle was used on the MK12. They don't manufacture them anymore, but if you go a Google search, there is new-old-stock available. They tend to be marked up a couple hundred bucks due to scarcity. It's a good bet this was the scope used alongside the Nightforce.

Pappabear
05-10-20, 18:30
Just gotta look on the EE here and Snipershide, best of luck Brother.

PB

Buncheong
05-10-20, 19:16
Thanks for your excellent suggestions, Gentlemen. It’s much appreciated.

RHINOWSO
05-10-20, 19:50
I've seen NF NXS 2.5-10x24, 32, and 42s on AR15.com EE.

I have a x24 on an AR-15 and a x42 on a CM762. I had a x32 for awhile but traded it off since I had traded into it and it had a Velocity 600 reticle (BDC) and I wanted a MOA/MIL version (before I really knew what I wanted, lol).

Can't really go wrong with any of them. The x24 is great on a 5.56 AR15; a little difficult to use on higher recoiling rifles (at least for me).

The newer x42s are nice, as they have adjustable parallax and illumination.

RHINOWSO
05-10-20, 20:13
2.5-10x24 on the EE

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?222735-Limited-2015-release-Nightforce-NXS-2-5-10x24-Mil-Dot-Reticles

chuckman
05-11-20, 08:58
The Leupold TS30-A2 Mark 4 2.5-8x36mm with the TMR reticle was used on the MK12. They don't manufacture them anymore, but if you go a Google search, there is new-old-stock available. They tend to be marked up a couple hundred bucks due to scarcity. It's a good bet this was the scope used alongside the Nightforce.

Did they use the same optic on the recce as the SPR? To my knowledge there was a little more standardization with the optic on the Mk12; whereas the recce was catch as catch can and used what was available.

We got some of the Mk12s with the Leupold; I just assume use the SAM-R.

Buncheong
05-11-20, 14:15
I've seen NF NXS 2.5-10x24, 32, and 42s on AR15.com EE.

I have a x24 on an AR-15 and a x42 on a CM762. I had a x32 for awhile but traded it off since I had traded into it and it had a Velocity 600 reticle (BDC) and I wanted a MOA/MIL version (before I really knew what I wanted, lol).

Can't really go wrong with any of them. The x24 is great on a 5.56 AR15; a little difficult to use on higher recoiling rifles (at least for me).

The newer x42s are nice, as they have adjustable parallax and illumination.

Very grateful for the user feedback, thanks a ton.

Your very helpful info has me leaning toward the x42...

chuckman
05-11-20, 15:41
I’m not exactly cloning, TBH. But I bought a Centurion Arms Recce upper I wanted to use for a Recce carbine on a Colt lower receiver. So it’s clone-ish.

Sources say Leupold Mk 4 was used but also, Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x24 mm. Can’t find it anywhere.

Inquired with CPO LeClair and Mrs. LeClair (GREAT folks btw!) @CA. Chief recommends Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32mm. Unfortunately these are no longer in production from about 3 years ago and I can’t locate any available, anywhere.

And so, my Recce project is at a dead end ... unless I can source the recommended NXS, somehow.

Any other cloners/pseudo-cloners like me with a Recce project and if so, what optic did you select?

Thanking you in advance...

The recce wasn't really a fully-spec'd rifle; at least not in the beginning. It was an evolutionary amalgamation of parts built around a SS 1:8 barrel and no FSB. I probably saw around half a dozen optics on the recce rifles...the Leupold, NF, I saw S&B or two, Trijicon, USO....

A lot of guys were 'meh' about the Mk12 and preferred the recce. The ballistics were comparable, and they liked the recce more.

Buncheong
05-11-20, 18:13
Very much appreciate your insights and hearing what your experiences were, Chuck - thanks much.

In light of your feedback, I will broaden my view on what to select/use, and be more flexible.

Cuda444
05-11-20, 21:11
Quite frankly, I have no idea. That Leupold isn't even really a military/duty scope. It was basically a civilian, hunting scope. I am no authority whatsoever, but according to some videos that I have watched where Ian McCallum interviews Larry Vickers, LAV mentions that SOCOM has procured many weapons/parts outside of normal military channels based on operator demands.

chuckman
05-12-20, 08:57
Quite frankly, I have no idea. That Leupold isn't even really a military/duty scope. It was basically a civilian, hunting scope. I am no authority whatsoever, but according to some videos that I have watched where Ian McCallum interviews Larry Vickers, LAV mentions that SOCOM has procured many weapons/parts outside of normal military channels based on operator demands.

I did not know if you had insider info. I was with a Marine unit attached to a SEAL unit in a JTF so we got to know their weps pretty well. Most of the rifles looked like they came from someone's basement work bench lol, not much uniformity. I wasn't a sniper, but I was a DSM and used a 20" AR (later the SAM-R) with a 10X, 2.5-10 and 3-9 Leupold. I believe the old original 10X ULTRA was specifically made for the military, but the others were part of a hunting line that were tweaked to milspec. However they were, they worked just fine.

Those guys could use whatever combo their support folks (armorers, Crane) had but didn't have a blank check like ST6/CAG, so they did a lot of mixing/matching. We had that flexibility to an extent, especially with handguns, but even with our M4s: some guys shave the top of the FSB, some liked X optic over Y, etc.

RHINOWSO
05-17-20, 08:16
Very grateful for the user feedback, thanks a ton.

Your very helpful info has me leaning toward the x42...

Europtic has had some nice prices on the x42 recently (not affiliated at all, just a repeat customer). I put one on my Colt CM762 and it works great - I have no problem using it at 10x on that rifle whereas I'm sure the x24 would be a struggle (but I had a great time with the x24 on my AR15 yesterday, not problems).

Buncheong
05-17-20, 14:00
Europtic has had some nice prices on the x42 recently (not affiliated at all, just a repeat customer). I put one on my Colt CM762 and it works great - I have no problem using it at 10x on that rifle whereas I'm sure the x24 would be a struggle (but I had a great time with the x24 on my AR15 yesterday, not problems).

Thanks again for the guidance.

Per your suggestion, I created an account at Europtic, and placed a backorder for the x42.

Much obliged!