PDA

View Full Version : Canada's new precision rifles

Slater
05-12-20, 18:07
Pretty good chunk of change, but then they're Colt :D

"Canadian military sniper teams will be getting new rifles with the first expected to be delivered in the fall.

The Liberal government is spending $8.5 million on purchasing the 272 rifles and spare parts."

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/canadian-military-to-get-new-sniper-rifles/

https://www.coltcanada.com/c20.html

Business_Casual
05-12-20, 19:24
I think they could’ve paid a little less.

SomeOtherGuy
05-12-20, 20:19
The Liberal government is spending $8.5 million on purchasing the 272 rifles and spare parts."

$31,250 per rifle.

Yes, that government is indeed very liberal.

Sure spare parts and what not... but at that price every rifle could have another 9 spare rifles, and still be spendy.

Oh wait, is that Canadian currency? :cool:

Slater
05-12-20, 20:21
Maybe Colt is throwing in some hats and T-shirts :D

Slater
05-12-20, 20:23
The C21 is the bolt-gun counterpart, but apparently that will be an off-the-shelf purchase.

mildot
05-12-20, 20:31
The C21 is the bolt-gun counterpart, but apparently that will be an off-the-shelf purchase.

Probably Cadex in the 'multi calibre"? they basically bought a bunch of Colt 901's for 30 grand ea.

Ned Christiansen
05-12-20, 22:06
Oy. Half the annual salary of some people! For that matter a year's wages for some. Per rifle. Oh to have that much to spend on one gun.

A buck US right now seems to = $1.406 CN.

So while Canada punishes gun owners who have never committed a crime, who will now have to give up their guns to atone for a crime that was committed by a guy who in the US would be called a "prohibited person", in other words he could no-way legally possess a firearm-- while their guns are seized by the Canadian government, for, you know, "everyone's safety", that same Canadian government meanwhile is buying rifles, paying for each enough money to buy a house in some parts. Man, thank goodness all those guns were registered. Not so they could come take them, just so they know who has them. You know, "for everyone's safety".

Way to show your people what's what, and who's in charge, Ottowa.

GH41
05-13-20, 09:54
One more reason I will NOT support COLT!!

lowprone
05-13-20, 20:16
Probably some serious kick back there, government service, ha ha ha !

Hank6046
05-14-20, 12:40
Maybe Colt is throwing in some hats and T-shirts :D

LOL, thanks for the laugh

Failure2Stop
05-14-20, 14:38
Contract prices for a seemingly simple item can grow really fast.
With many of these kinds of programs, the gun is buried in support gear and ancilliary items.
My bet is that at a minimum the system contents are the rifle, suppressor, optic, optic mount, bipod, magazines, cleaning kit, spare parts, and a hard/soft case combo.
Cost estimate:
Rifle $3000
Suppressor $1000
Optic and mount $2000
Bipod $300
Magazines $200
Cleaning Kit $200
Spare Parts $500
Hard and Soft Case $500
Total: $7.700

Given that the "each rifle cost" is $24809 CDN (6.5m purchase for 262 rifles, the 2m for line stand-up and 10 samples really can't be applied to the deliverables fairly), which is $17650 USD, I would tend to think that some kind of night vision device, laser rangefinder, and/or spotting scope/tripod are likely included.
People freaked out over here when they saw that CSASS contract award put "each" system in the 15k area, not understanding how much extra crap the program laid into each case.

Pappabear
05-14-20, 17:27
Contract prices for a seemingly simple item can grow really fast.
With many of these kinds of programs, the gun is buried in support gear and ancilliary items.
My bet is that at a minimum the system contents are the rifle, suppressor, optic, optic mount, bipod, magazines, cleaning kit, spare parts, and a hard/soft case combo.
Cost estimate:
Rifle $3000
Suppressor $1000
Optic and mount $2000
Bipod $300
Magazines $200
Cleaning Kit $200
Spare Parts $500
Hard and Soft Case $500
Total: $7.700

Given that the "each rifle cost" is $24809 CDN (6.5m purchase for 262 rifles, the 2m for line stand-up and 10 samples really can't be applied to the deliverables fairly), which is $17650 USD, I would tend to think that some kind of night vision device, laser rangefinder, and/or spotting scope/tripod are likely included.
People freaked out over here when they saw that CSASS contract award put "each" system in the 15k area, not understanding how much extra crap the program laid into each case.

Very very interesting. Great perspective Jack. You add up all those extras and you can see how it could happen. Seems insane at first glance, but military contracts are known for throwing in the ubiquitous $200 hammer, so...

Coming to your local Gunbroker soon!

PB

Jsp10477
05-14-20, 20:49
One more reason I will NOT support COLT!!

Because they won a contract?