PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Silent Recoil Spring System - Any experience with this one?

GarthTheBenning
05-13-20, 18:16
Howdy Everyone,

New to the forums and have enjoyed engaging with this knowledgeable community. Been looking to upgrade my AR15 recently - really want to remove that twang sound.

Found this Silent Recoil Spring System from JE Machine Tech on sale. I usually like to take my time on these kinds of decisions. But the sale ends on Sunday, and the price feels a little too good to pass up.

https://hunterselectusa.com/product/223-silent-recoil-spring-system/

Do any of you have any experience with this spring system? Any thoughts on JE Machine Tech as a brand?

Appreciate the insights!

georgeib
05-13-20, 18:20
I'm a fan of lightly greasing (Slip2000 EWG) the standard action spring. Does the same thing, and only costs a few pennies.

JediGuy
05-13-20, 18:36
I’m going. To lean toward your being accurate: “...the price feels a little too good...”

Perhaps I don’t shoot enough, but I’ve never been annoyed by noise from the buffer and spring. Were I so annoyed, I would probably purchase the original:

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS2-15

Uni-Vibe
05-13-20, 19:08
I like the sproing!

mack7.62
05-13-20, 19:16
To quote Jeff Cooper "an ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem". I would lump this in with adjustable gas blocks, adding complexity to simple systems that work, why?

TacticalFun
05-13-20, 20:05
To quote Jeff Cooper "an ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem". I would lump this in with adjustable gas blocks, adding complexity to simple systems that work, why?Do you not shoot suppressed?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

mack7.62
05-13-20, 20:37
Do you not shoot suppressed?

Nope but the military shoots suppressed a lot with nary a adjustable gas block in sight.

TacticalFun
05-13-20, 20:42
Nope but the military shoots suppressed a lot with nary a adjustable gas block in sight.They also use a very loud can with no back pressure

GarthTheBenning
05-21-20, 17:55
Appreciate all of the insight! I guess I'm a little sensitive to certain movement sounds with my AR.

Ended up purchasing one of the Silent Recoil Systems - I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I also really like that Slip2000 EWG trick georgeib! Definitely gonna try it.

elia.jon1
05-23-20, 23:03
According to what kind of rifle. A nice real mil spec buffer tube with dry film will be a good bit quieter than a cheap tube. Way smoother, less scratchy

Eurodriver
05-24-20, 08:03
I have shot at least 100 different AR15s and M16s and M4s in my life and I can recall exactly one AR that I could hear/feel the “sproing” noise that people complain about. It was 2006 and it was a post ban 20” Bushmaster with a fixed stock.

I’ve never heard it since. Is it specific to low end garbage or something?

Do you not shoot suppressed?

I do. Exclusively. What’s your point?

TacticalFun
05-24-20, 08:06
I do. Exclusively. What’s your point?That adjustable gas blocks are a good good way to tune your suppressed rifle to the ammo that you are using.

05-24-20, 08:16
I have shot at least 100 different AR15s and M16s and M4s in my life and I can recall exactly one AR that I could hear/feel the “sproing” noise that people complain about. It was 2006 and it was a post ban 20” Bushmaster with a fixed stock.

I’ve never heard it since. Is it specific to low end garbage or something?

I do. Exclusively. What’s your point?

Strange, the only one I can think of that bothered me was a post ban Bushy carbine. With a pinned carbine stock.

1_click_off
05-24-20, 08:50
I have an LR-308 that cycles so slow and springy that I get a kick out of shooting the damn thing just to hear it cycle.

OP, are you shooting with muffs or plugs? If muffs and you break your cheekweld and fire, do you still notice it? You may be resting the muff on the buffer tube and magnifying the spring noise.

Five_Point_Five_Six
05-24-20, 08:51
Strange, the only one I can think of that bothered me was a post ban Bushy carbine. With a pinned carbine stock.

I typically run Springco or VLTOR recoil springs and have never noticed the noise. My nephew has one of those cheap PSA build kits with a carbine spring of unknown origin and it's sproingy as hell. Even with a little lube on the spring it sounds like a rusty mattress.

Eurodriver
05-25-20, 16:33

#TwinBros

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-26-20, 16:37
My JP upper with a rifle length system on it will 'sproing'. I greased the spring which quieted it up, but the grease got dirty and started migrating forward, so I cleaned it all out. I'm living with the srping. It has an adjustable GB on it so I think tuning it has it so that you can sense and hear it better? I don't notice it on other guns, but all those are usually carbines.

My son's gammer gun we put a JP silent spring in. Works pretty well, but it is a carbine length set-up anyways. I'm pretty immune to distractions while shooting, but that 'sproing' was almost comical. Sounds like a spring BB gun, almost had be giggling on some stages.

Does a spring 'sroing' when it isn't coming back and smacking the crap out of the back of the receiver extension?

Bluto
05-26-20, 17:47
The face I think of when I hear the boing