PDA

View Full Version : American Security Safe with Electronic keypad issues , need help.

Pappabear
05-16-20, 19:02
Didn't see a good sub forum for this so I put it here as I am desperate to get help and this sub forum is the most active, so please indulge me.

I have a American Security Safe with Electronic keypad issues and I need help. Recently the keypad starting making me input the combo twice before it would open, but it would open every time. I changed batteries twice, no help.

I think it may have to do with the wires that attach directly to the battery. I tore the wires and my son re-soldered them and it worked for years. I was wondering if anyone could please advise. Also, I would think that a replacement wire should be available somewhere.

http://i.imgur.com/6CaMwAL.jpg (https://imgur.com/6CaMwAL)

PB

Straight Shooter
05-16-20, 19:09
I truly hope you get some help PB.
Ive ALWAYS been very fearful of electronic keypads..and about 7-8 years ago had this reinforced when my dads Winchester safe keypad malfunctioned.
He went thru HELL trying to get help...somehow finally Winchester did something and he got the safe open. I dont know what.
Anyway, just remembered that- hope you have an easier time.

lysander
05-16-20, 19:21
Sounds like you need to talk to American Security (https://www.amsecusa.com/support/)

I prefer mechanical locks for this reason.

ndmiller
05-16-20, 19:38
Probably easiest to replace the keypad with another keypad or a mechanical tumbler.

ssc
05-16-20, 19:39
I used a guy in Socal. Seemed to be a wizard with safes. Had a problem with my Canon mechanical lock. After he fixed it and tuned it, it works great. He gave me a good lession respecting mechanical and electric locks. Two of my three safes are electric and one mechanical. He can switch them out. I don't recall if he went to Azizona. I do recall talking to him about AZ since I also have a house there. Jose Velasco 562 716 4447. Might be worth a call.

Cheers, Steve

Clint
05-16-20, 20:16
Just get a new Key pad from Amsec.
The code is stored in the lock mechanism, so you can just replace the key pad and you'll be back in business.

MistWolf
05-16-20, 21:44
Just get a new Key pad from Amsec.
The code is stored in the lock mechanism, so you can just replace the key pad and you'll be back in business.

This is the best advice. I'm far from a safe expert, but I grilled a safe expert before committing to buying a safe. He told me the electronic pad can be replaced if it should ever fail.

After asking many questions, I came to the conclusion that the only way I'd have a mechanical dial is if it were a back up to the electronic pad.

Pappabear
05-16-20, 22:46
I used a guy in Socal. Seemed to be a wizard with safes. Had a problem with my Canon mechanical lock. After he fixed it and tuned it, it works great. He gave me a good lession respecting mechanical and electric locks. Two of my three safes are electric and one mechanical. He can switch them out. I don't recall if he went to Azizona. I do recall talking to him about AZ since I also have a house there. Jose Velasco 562 716 4447. Might be worth a call.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks everybody, I appreciate it.

PB

26 Inf
05-17-20, 02:27
This is the best advice. I'm far from a safe expert, but I grilled a safe expert before committing to buying a safe. He told me the electronic pad can be replaced if it should ever fail.

After asking many questions, I came to the conclusion that the only way I'd have a mechanical dial is if it were a back up to the electronic pad.

This is where I'm at. I have three safes two elctronic, and one mechanical for shotguns and rifles I don't shoot often. I don't want to spend a lot of time messing around with a dial when I go to the range, or in the bedroom in an emergency.

AndyLate
05-17-20, 07:36
AMSEC has a reputation for great customer service and of course you should reach out to them.

I prefer mechanical safes, opening them is second nature and only takes seconds.

It's kind of a Ford/Chevy thing, neither is a perfect solution. Electronic locks will fail sooner than mechanical but are obviously much more convenient.

Cheap safes with cheap electronic locks are a disaster.

Andy

05-17-20, 08:01
Cheap safes with cheap electronic locks are a disaster.

Andy

I bought one of these once and it was for sure a disaster. It was on sale, but no delivery. Had a couple friends help me load it, unload, and install. Then the keypad shat the bed, same day. Solution from point of sale and MFR was to return it. Had to enlist a few friends, again, the next day. Lesson learned.

Dennis
05-17-20, 11:47
It's not that hard to replace/upgrade to a quality S&G electronic lock.

I had a 15yr old one that was acting up and I replaced it with a new much upgraded model.

Dennis.

Pappabear
05-17-20, 18:24
I have 4 safes and all are electronic. This safe is a $2,500 plus safe , twice as snice as my others and it shot the bed. Go figure. I contacted Am Security but think they might be on covid lock down , sine i got no response.

I'll look into buying a new keypad. Very good to hear they have them and sell them separately AND the code is n the safe.

many many thanks fellas.

PB

everready73
05-17-20, 19:21
There is s big thread on Amsec on TOS. In the armory section-safes.

Lots of posts and one of the employees posts in it occasionally. I would do some reading, pretty sure I have read if others having similar issue

graffex
05-17-20, 19:22
I hope this wasn't for a home defense weapon. I don't leave my home defense weapons in a safe for this very reason. When I need a weapon to meet a threat now, I need it now.

MistWolf
05-18-20, 01:02
Poppabear, contact Utah Safe Outlet @ 801-294-7233. Sent you a PM with further details.

Pappabear
05-18-20, 15:23
I contacted everybody and talked a lot. Don was very helpful and the other guy was in LA. I am getting the nicer new Kaypad/lock installed for $285 out the door. Guy came to my house in 20 minutes, made the call between calls. Is here now installing.

Edit: Installed and all is good. After learning what I have learned about the Electronic keypads I am much less skeptical to own one. For those of you that do not know, the combination is saved inside the safe, not the keypad. So when the keypad starts acting up, just replace it. Mine took 12 years of abuse.

For safes that you do not access much, the mechanical is the best long term beast. A quality one will last generations IMHO.

PB

Pappabear
05-18-20, 22:06
There is s big thread on Amsec on TOS. In the armory section-safes.

Lots of posts and one of the employees posts in it occasionally. I would do some reading, pretty sure I have read if others having similar issue

Where is that sub forum? Problem solved but still interested.

PB