PDA

View Full Version : Japan's new Type 20 rifle

Slater
05-18-20, 13:34
Looks like a SCAR-esque buttstock:

"The new rifle will replace the 5.56x45mm Type 89, adopted 30 years ago, and is approximately 78cm or 30.7in long and reportedly weighs around 3.5 kg or 7.7lbs. The rifle will be indigenously produced in Japan by Howa. Each rifle is expected to cost around 275,000 yen – the equivalent to $2,600. This is calculated from the 2019-20 military budget. It is unclear if this also covers accessories like optics and under-barrel grenade launchers."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/05/18/first-look-japanese-armys-new-type-20-rifle/

caporider
05-18-20, 14:40
Gen M3 PMAG as well. Cool.

turnburglar
05-18-20, 14:45
I know nothing about it; but How gets good regards from the products we do see in the states.

It will probably be a very good gun and serve them well. I see they still favor the bayonet....

Coal Dragger
05-18-20, 17:30
Also adopting the HK SFP9/VP9. Congrats HK.

lowprone
05-18-20, 18:35
Piston gun w/March 1-8 FFP, HK VP9, wow are they expecting an invasion ?
Sarc

KUSA
05-18-20, 19:05
Piston gun w/March 1-8 FFP, HK VP9, wow are they expecting an invasion ?
Sarc

If another world war started, I’m sure the Chinese would be coming in droves. The Japanese aren’t going down without a fight.

BoringGuy45
05-18-20, 19:42
If another world war started, I’m sure the Chinese would be coming in droves. The Japanese aren’t going down without a fight.

Japan has a large and very modern military, and much better quality equipment than the Chinese. Even if there weren't also numerous U.S. military divisions in the area, a China-Japan war would likely be, at best for China, a Pyrrhic victory. But with combined Japanese, NATO, Taiwanese, and South Korean forces, China invading Japan would be pointless.

Jellybean
05-18-20, 22:55
Looks like an Mlok'd ACR/SCAR.
Nice to see someone managed to sell them on the "keep it light and simple" concept.

MountainRaven
05-18-20, 23:27
Japan has a large and very modern military, and much better quality equipment than the Chinese. Even if there weren't also numerous U.S. military divisions in the area, a China-Japan war would likely be, at best for China, a Pyrrhic victory. But with combined Japanese, NATO, Taiwanese, and South Korean forces, China invading Japan would be pointless.

I wouldn't expect NATO to be showing up in the Pacific. Former SEATO members like Australia and New Zealand? Yup. Current NATO but never SEATO members like Canada and the UK? Yup. But I also wouldn't expect Taiwan to send anyone, especially since any Chinese amphibious warfare capability could be used just as easily if not more easily - especially if used in conjunction with Operation Weserübung-type SOF hiding in commercial shipping vessels - against Taiwan than against Japan. And the casus belli for an invasion of Japan doesn't exist as easily for China as an invasion of Taiwan does.

Rider79
05-19-20, 04:15
"The new pistol will replace a locally-produced copy of the SIG P220 which had been in service since the early 1980s."

Whats the chance of something like this hitting the surplus market?

Esq.
05-20-20, 12:17

You will never convince me that Japan doesn't have "nukes in a box". In other words, all of the precursors necessary to spin up nuclear weapons on a short time frame.

caporider
05-20-20, 13:58
You will never convince me that Japan doesn't have "nukes in a box". In other words, all of the precursors necessary to spin up nuclear weapons on a short time frame.

And Gundams in underground bunkers to launch them...

JediGuy
05-20-20, 15:27

Underground under the sea

KUSA
05-20-20, 19:34

I’m sure you are right but that wouldn’t be a very good idea. Chinese nukes coming back would erase Japan off the globe.

chadbag
05-22-20, 10:05
My wife is from Japan and reads a bunch of Japanese media. China has already been trying to encroach on Okinawa (greater Okinawa island chain) and make claims. A lot of people in Japan are worried that the country is going soft and not opposing China enough when China is pushing into Japanese territory. She is telling me about it all the time from posts from Japan on Twitter and other places where people are reacting to the stories.

flenna
05-22-20, 10:18
My wife is from Japan and reads a bunch of Japanese media. China has already been trying to encroach on Okinawa (greater Okinawa island chain) and make claims. A lot of people in Japan are worried that the country is going soft and not opposing China enough when China is pushing into Japanese territory. She is telling me about it all the time from posts from Japan on Twitter and other places where people are reacting to the stories.

I would say the same thing about us. We have 50% of our elected officials and all of the MSM defending and siding with China because of their hatred for our President and country. And 50% of the voters agree...

chadbag
05-22-20, 10:21
I would say the same thing about us. We have 50% of our elected officials and all of the MSM defending and siding with China because of their hatred for our President and country. And 50% of the voters agree...

Got to get your cheapo crap.

You are right.

lowprone
05-22-20, 10:41
YUP and we are more divided than ever, seriously divided.

sgtrock82
05-22-20, 11:29
I know nothing about it; but How gets good regards from the products we do see in the states.

It will probably be a very good gun and serve them well. I see they still favor the bayonet....

Well know its still the same old Japan if they start putting bayonets on their LMGs againhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200522/453cab85c39ae2f5c784ea40c4cd8a0d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

WickedWillis
05-22-20, 12:10

I'm disappointed that there are no Gundams, or Spidertanks in 2020.

Grand58742
05-22-20, 14:07

I wonder how much of that has to do with the restrictions we placed on them after WWII as opposed to "being soft"?

Regardless, that rifle looks like the love child of a SCAR and M4. Kinda digging it though.

WillBrink
05-22-20, 15:22
Also adopting the HK SFP9/VP9. Congrats HK.

The pistol that stops working when a rain drop hits it? I kid! I wub my Vp9.

lowprone
05-24-20, 20:34
Article led me on a look see @ the March scopes....... interesting !!!

Buncheong
05-25-20, 12:18
"The new pistol will replace a locally-produced copy of the SIG P220 which had been in service since the early 1980s."

Whats the chance of something like this hitting the surplus market?

Exactly zero.

Japan has very strict laws regarding weapons, and exports are completely forbidden.

Coal Dragger
05-25-20, 13:28
The pistol that stops working when a rain drop hits it? I kid! I wub my Vp9.

Correct. Also the striker will release if you grip the slide like a handle and use the grip with no magazine inserted to hammer on hard surfaces. As pointed out by another member of you find yourself in a bad spot where you have no magazines, and are alternately single loading the pistol and using the wrong end to whack baddies with as a cudgel you might get a dead trigger.

Not to worry though, the Japanese Bushido Code will inspire them to attach a wakizashi to the rail of the VP9 for close quarters combat.

chadbag
05-25-20, 14:06
I wonder how much of that has to do with the restrictions we placed on them after WWII as opposed to "being soft"?

No, she is talking about the political will and what she calls "spies" -- those politicians that are China-champions in their parliament and celebrities and others that take a soft line pro China view in public.

Grand58742
05-25-20, 23:21
No, she is talking about the political will and what she calls "spies" -- those politicians that are China-champions in their parliament and celebrities and others that take a soft line pro China view in public.

Ah.

Yeah, we don't know anybody that would do something like that...

<sarcasm off>

Core781
05-26-20, 00:15
Looks like a SCAR-esque buttstock:

"The new rifle will replace the 5.56x45mm Type 89, adopted 30 years ago, and is approximately 78cm or 30.7in long and reportedly weighs around 3.5 kg or 7.7lbs. The rifle will be indigenously produced in Japan by Howa. Each rifle is expected to cost around 275,000 yen – the equivalent to $2,600. This is calculated from the 2019-20 military budget. It is unclear if this also covers accessories like optics and under-barrel grenade launchers."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/05/18/first-look-japanese-armys-new-type-20-rifle/

In any number I would say it would cover more than just the rifle itself. Since an M4A1 itself costs around $300 USD. I bet the $2,600.00 would cover launcher, optic, bayonet, and mags along with a cleaning kit.

Rider79
05-26-20, 05:29
Exactly zero.

Japan has very strict laws regarding weapons, and exports are completely forbidden.

Figured :(

vicious_cb
05-26-20, 11:12
No one cares what Japan does since they cant use their military equipment or export them.

chadbag
05-26-20, 13:31
No one cares what Japan does since they cant use their military equipment or export them.

They export military tech. They almost won the Australia sub contract. I believe I recently read about some Japanese maritime patrol exports or something along that line (in my Wikipedia follow-the-links reading)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_industry_of_Japan

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/13/business/international/with-ban-on-exports-lifted-japan-arms-makers-cautiously-market-wares-abroad.html

chadbag
05-26-20, 13:34
Exactly zero.

This is not true. Howa exports rifles to the US. Miroku produces shotguns and rifles for Browning, Winchester, and others and sells them in Europe, the US, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miroku_Corp.

MountainRaven
05-26-20, 15:27
Miroku also used to make revolvers, which showed up not infrequently imported into the US.

Miroku revolvers haven’t been made or imported for probably decades, now, though. Whether that's a legal thing or simply a reflection of the market... I do not know. (Miroku initially manufactured their revolvers for the domestic law enforcement market - as Japanese police received many, many American revolvers during the occupation and Miroku hoped they would want more of the same. Unfortunately for them, the Japanese police promptly began buying automatics as soon as they were able to, leaving Miroku high-and-dry.)

yellowfin
05-27-20, 13:14

Whats the chance of something like this hitting the surplus market?That was what immediately popped into my mind as well. I'd gladly grab one for the right price.

Aries144
05-27-20, 13:46
I'd love a type 89 parts kit. I don't expect to ever see one, but it would be cool. I have an affection for AR-18 derivative rifles. Some of the designs from SE Asia are pretty interesting as well.

Here's hoping.