PDA

View Full Version : holster cant question

Striker5
11-09-06, 13:18
My first serious holster was a G-code paddle I bought used for my 92SF a few years back. It has no cant, ie it is vertical. My Blade-Tech for my Hi-power is also vertical. The only part that prints, barely, is the butt, between my arm and torso.

I have avoided canted holsters because I thought it was some kind of fast-draw thing. Now I am wondering, do they tilt the butt forward to avoid printing? Milt Sparks SSII's also have this cant. I am planning on a SSII, but would get a OWB Blade-Tech for open carry situations and want them to be consistent in the draw stroke. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

bullitt5172
11-09-06, 13:38
I use the vertical (speed) type holsters for open carry, training etc. If carrying concealed, the FBI cant is the way to go. It will pull the butt of the gun foward and out of the way.

Mojo58
11-09-06, 13:51
IMO the cant aids in concealment. I've worn vertical holsters and find them "non-conforming" with the shape of my trunk. Whereas the FBI cant on my Blade Tech IWB makes my full size USP disappear -- even with just a T-shirt on. Of course consideration to the way one stands is also important in ensuring that one doesn't "print" unintentionally. I once saw a gentleman with a 92FS lean over a display counter to examine something only to have his shirt stand up like a tent pole as the butt of his Beretta screamed "gun!"

VA_Dinger
11-09-06, 14:01
Great thread, but I’m going to move it to the appropriate forum (Tactical Gear).

Milkman
11-09-06, 23:18
There are a number of pancake holsters that have two sets of loops so they can be canted or set straight up.

Policetacteam
11-09-06, 23:56
I agree, to some extent, that the FBI cant does aid in concealing the shape but it definitely does not disappear. I carry my Glock 27, off-duty, in a Blade Tec with the FBI cant. Maybe I am just so used to pulling my duty issued Glock from my Safariland holster, which is essentially a vertical draw, that I almost find the FBI cant uncomfortable. If you are not sure I would highly recommend purchasing a Side Armor kydex holster. It will allow you to adjust the cant to anything you want. And although I am a big fan of Blade Tec's kydex holsters I think the Side Armor is far nicer.

Sam
11-10-06, 08:31
Everyone is right that FBI cant provide better concealment of the pistol. This is true for leather holsters in the pancake style (owbs) and IWBs. Canted kydex OWB rigs are still prone to print due to the belt slot/attachment that position the holster body so far from the wearer's body.

Mojo58
11-10-06, 21:22
I agree, to some extent, that the FBI cant does aid in concealing the shape but it definitely does not disappear.

I can only speak from my own experience with this model. Trust me, with my body shape (somewhat athletic if you don't pay attention to my slight beer belly) under a loose T-shirt it does disappear. I've been with people that had no clue on the range that I was packing until 2 hours later when they said, "Why don't you get your gun and show me how it's done?" I wear it in the 4 o'clock position. I find it harder to conceal the double mag pouch than I do the USP with my Blade Tech IWB. I find some people wear it in the 3 o'clock position which IMO is not condusive to concealed carry but to each their own.