PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tyson returns to the Ring at 53.

Averageman
05-20-20, 08:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvwb08rorMg
The guy is on point here and a very dangerous Boxer.
How do you feel about this?

Adrenaline_6
05-20-20, 08:30
He is still a dangerous man, but age gets to everyone. He should stay away from the top level talent. I don't think it will work out for him too well. I still would watch his fight though.

Vic79
05-20-20, 09:02
Even at 53 the man is terrifying. It’s probably a bit of a mix of God-given strength and speed, a hella amount of hard work. And advances in testosterone replacement and anti-aging therapies in men.

Watrdawg
05-20-20, 09:58
I'd definitely watch his 1st fight back. After that all depends upon how he fights. Age does play a major factor here. If he were 10 yrs younger things would be a lot different.

The_War_Wagon
05-20-20, 10:06
It's like that Simpsons episode, where Homer works his way up through the boxcar hobo division, to end up fighting Dreaderick Tatum (a thinly disguised allusion to Mike Tyson).

Only now, Mike Tyson IS Homer Simpson! :eek:

titsonritz
05-20-20, 14:06
Interesting, he told Joe Rogan he was out of the boxing world for good to the point of not working out and that did not like himself when he did. I wonder what made him change his mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MNv4_rTkfU

ABNAK
05-20-20, 14:26
He's definitely dropped weight. His speed with the punches is still impressive, but that footwork and body juking/ducking makes my head spin! Do his knees not hurt at 53? Lower back?

He'd make a helluva boxing coach. Looks like he has taken a shine to it with the instruction he was giving some of those younger guys.

SteyrAUG
05-20-20, 15:31
Guy is a serious POS from his purse snatching / bashing old ladies days to his ear chewing / face tattoo POS days.

I hope somebody with the same respect for others gets in the ring with him.

Vic79
05-20-20, 16:18
He’s not any worse then most professional athletes, actors, politicians, or extremely wealthy people. Really most people in general. He’s been pretty open about saying that he doesn’t like who he was back in the day.

sl4mdaddy
05-20-20, 16:23
Hell, I'd watch the fight...as long as it's not PPV.

SteyrAUG
05-20-20, 17:01
He’s not any worse then most professional athletes, actors, politicians, or extremely wealthy people. Really most people in general. He’s been pretty open about saying that he doesn’t like who he was back in the day.

He's worse than a lot of "professional athletes, actors, politicians, or extremely wealthy people." He started out as a gang banging piece of shit and then somebody gave him a lot of money and that didn't make him any better.

The fact that there are other bad people out there changes nothing. The discussion is Mike Tyson and he is a reprehensible piece of dog shit. He's no "OJ bad" but he's still a real piece of shit.

Averageman
05-20-20, 17:22
He's definitely dropped weight. His speed with the punches is still impressive, but that footwork and body juking/ducking makes my head spin! Do his knees not hurt at 53? Lower back?

He'd make a helluva boxing coach. Looks like he has taken a shine to it with the instruction he was giving some of those younger guys.

All of that juking is a shuffle to load a punch, that's going to really hurt on the receiving side.
I sparred Ray Mercer back when he was a Spc 4/E5 in the Army in Wursberg. He did a little shuffle like that and hit me in the right side so hard I almost passed out.
At that level, it's no joke and you're not getting out un scarred, I've got a 35K nose.

Vic79
05-20-20, 17:39
He's worse than a lot of "professional athletes, actors, politicians, or extremely wealthy people." He started out as a gang banging piece of shit and then somebody gave him a lot of money and that didn't make him any better.

The fact that there are other bad people out there changes nothing. The discussion is Mike Tyson and he is a reprehensible piece of dog shit. He's no "OJ bad" but he's still a real piece of shit.

Nobody gave him anything. The dude worked his ass off to become the youngest heavyweight champion ever. I don’t think they just handed the title over to him. I will standby he is no worse than most.
Edit. I forgot to add he’s probably better than most musicians/bands as well.

Honu
05-20-20, 17:58
MMA folks are where its at if you want serious toughness boxing is a sport with to many rules ? but I do reckon he will do OK with proper picks of who he fights but against the best in prime I think he will gas himself

donlapalma
05-20-20, 19:07
Is he really intending to come back and fight? If so, he is going to get crushed if he fights a younger fighter. I hate to see that kind of fighting, like when Chuck Liddell came back to fight Tito. That was awful and sad.

titsonritz
05-20-20, 19:49
Maybe we'll a Evander Holyfield vs Mike Tyson 3?

https://www.essentiallysports.com/im-not-killing-myself-for-nobody-evander-holyfield-on-mike-tyson-blockbuster-boxing-news/

pag23
05-20-20, 20:18
Even at 53 the man is terrifying. It’s probably a bit of a mix of God-given strength and speed, a hella amount of hard work. And advances in testosterone replacement and anti-aging therapies in men.

I need to take what he does..lol. That speed is scary, but the question is would he last 10 rounds...

utahjeepr
05-20-20, 20:20
Ali came out of retirement and got his ass handed to him by Holmes.

Holmes came out of retirement and got his ass handed to him by Tyson.

Tyson comes out of retirement and gets his ass handed to him by ?

THCDDM4
05-20-20, 20:53
Like most of the lessons Tyson has learned in life, he’s going to learn the hard way that age is not on his side, and although he is one tough SOB, a younger man will be the victor and bring some pain.

At 53, recovery from a fight, even one you win- cannot be a fun thing.

I’m only 38 and I cannot even imagine trying to fight the 20 year old me and “winning” anything.

I feel kind of sorry for these guys that can’t let go and try to resurrect their former greatness. It never goes the way they’d like.

Plus, he’s a major piece of shit and should just go away already. Take that token Hollywood acting role now and again, train some other boxers, attone for the wrongs you’ve done and live out your life in a relaxed fashion.

Good luck, Mike, you’re gonna need it!

Vic79
05-20-20, 21:29
Ali came out of retirement and got his ass handed to him by Holmes.

Holmes came out of retirement and got his ass handed to him by Tyson.

Tyson comes out of retirement and gets his ass handed to him by ?

That’s not really even apples to oranges comparison thats chicken salad to a banana.
When Ali fought Holmes he was already showing signs of Parkinson’s disease and just looked physically out of shape and unprepared. It was surprising he even got medically cleared.
After Holmes got beat by Tyson he went on to have a pretty decent final stretch. Hell he fought Holyfield for the title.

Don’t forget George foreman came back and won a share of the title, he looked old, slow, and fat as F!

utahjeepr
05-20-20, 21:41
Foreman is a totally different story. That guy can take a beating better than a brick wall. He lets his opponents get tired out beating him bloody then he just clobber them with those godzilla mitts.

SteyrAUG
05-20-20, 22:13
Nobody gave him anything. The dude worked his ass off to become the youngest heavyweight champion ever. I don’t think they just handed the title over to him. I will standby he is no worse than most.
Edit. I forgot to add he’s probably better than most musicians/bands as well.

Pablo Escobar worked really hard for the things he got. How many musicians started out knocking out old ladies for the social security money? If you can name a few, they suck too.

Vic79
05-20-20, 22:32
Pablo Escobar worked really hard for the things he got. How many musicians started out knocking out old ladies for the social security money? If you can name a few, they suck too.

Did Tyson have a night with your wife or something. Your argument is weak comparing Mike Tyson to Pablo Escobar come on man you’re better than that. I don’t think anyone is advocating for knocking out ladies for Social Security money again even Mike Tyson said that is not the best life choice. But he is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time and even at 53 could knock 99.9 of the members on this forum to the moon and back.
That would be like me calling you a low life, no talent, piece of shit all because you made some bad decisions in your youth.
I am sure we have Have all behaved in a way or make decisions that we later in life regret.

SteyrAUG
05-21-20, 01:35
Did Tyson have a night with your wife or something. Your argument is weak comparing Mike Tyson to Pablo Escobar come on man you’re better than that. I don’t think anyone is advocating for knocking out ladies for Social Security money again even Mike Tyson said that is not the best life choice. But he is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time and even at 53 could knock 99.9 of the members on this forum to the moon and back.
That would be like me calling you a low life, no talent, piece of shit all because you made some bad decisions in your youth.
I am sure we have Have all behaved in a way or make decisions that we later in life regret.

Nope, just pointing out that working hard doesn't make you a good man. Lots of criminals work hard. Lots of back stabbing celebrity types work hard. Commies work hard. That doesn't always translate to something good.

The problem isn't that Mike did some bad things when he was a kid. Had he stole a jacket, shoplifted food or any of the things most people do when they are kids I'd have basically zero issue.

Problem is Tyson isn't a good person with some regrets from his youth. The problem is even when he was training as a boxer and was an extremely dangerous individual, he was still knocking old ladies for their social security money. And not once, but on a monthly basis. It takes a special kind of piece of shit to bang on old ladies and take what little money they have. And that is my issue with Tyson.

It was made worse by the fact that he then was made a celebrity boxer and people willfully ignored his extensive criminal past. To the best of my knowledge he never even apologized or tried to make amends to any of his victims that might remain alive or their families.

When I first learned of Tyson I knew nothing about him other than he was apparently a ferocious boxer. Then he took a rape conviction and people began to look at him in a new light. And then they looked into his past. By the time he was 13, he had been arrested 38 times. That isn't youthful indiscretion, that is major league thug life and those are just the times he got caught.

By his own accounts his mother didn't even like him. "I never saw my mother happy with me and proud of me for doing something: she only knew me as being a wild kid running the streets, coming home with new clothes that she knew I didn't pay for."

Let's not forget that Tyson was discovered at a juvenile detention center. About the only good thing I can say about him is they put his thug tendencies in a direction where he was no longer victimizing his community, it's only a shame he was rewarded for being a thug.

If you took the money and opportunities away, I doubt it would take long before Tyson was bashing old ladies for their social security money again. All his life has been something of a pattern, if you are willing to actually look at it. He is still a registered sex offender.

titsonritz
05-21-20, 02:53
Nope, just pointing out that working hard doesn't make you a good man. Lots of criminals work hard. Lots of back stabbing celebrity types work hard. Commies work hard. That doesn't always translate to something good.

The problem isn't that Mike did some bad things when he was a kid. Had he stole a jacket, shoplifted food or any of the things most people do when they are kids I'd have basically zero issue.

Problem is Tyson isn't a good person with some regrets from his youth. The problem is even when he was training as a boxer and was an extremely dangerous individual, he was still knocking old ladies for their social security money. And not once, but on a monthly basis. It takes a special kind of piece of shit to bang on old ladies and take what little money they have. And that is my issue with Tyson.

It was made worse by the fact that he then was made a celebrity boxer and people willfully ignored his extensive criminal past. To the best of my knowledge he never even apologized or tried to make amends to any of his victims that might remain alive or their families.

When I first learned of Tyson I knew nothing about him other than he was apparently a ferocious boxer. Then he took a rape conviction and people began to look at him in a new light. And then they looked into his past. By the time he was 13, he had been arrested 38 times. That isn't youthful indiscretion, that is major league thug life and those are just the times he got caught.

By his own accounts his mother didn't even like him. "I never saw my mother happy with me and proud of me for doing something: she only knew me as being a wild kid running the streets, coming home with new clothes that she knew I didn't pay for."

Let's not forget that Tyson was discovered at a juvenile detention center. About the only good thing I can say about him is they put his thug tendencies in a direction where he was no longer victimizing his community, it's only a shame he was rewarded for being a thug.

If you took the money and opportunities away, I doubt it would take long before Tyson was bashing old ladies for their social security money again. All his life has been something of a pattern, if you are willing to actually look at it. He is still a registered sex offender.

So I guess you won't be supporting his weed store, huh? :jester:

LMT Shooter
05-21-20, 06:36

So you begin by saying that Steyrs argument comparing Tyson to Escobar is weak, but then you close by comparing the actions of Tyson to the rest of us? Equally weak. Have I made mistakes? Yes. But to imply that the mistakes I made in my youth then make me the equivalent of a convicted rapist, how does that work? Because I never raped anybody, nor beat up old women for money. Did you raise children? If so, did you tell them that if they made any mistakes in their youth, they might as well beat, rob, and rape folks, because it's all the same?

Vic79
05-21-20, 06:46
You guys are to much.

Adrenaline_6
05-21-20, 07:24
This is funny. Sure we didn't make the mistakes he did....and yes, he was a piece of shit at the time. The main thing is NOW. If you listen to him in his interviews, he knows he was bad and did bad things. He admits it and has done his best to turn things around best he can. That's all you can really ask of a person. Its really what matters. We all did bad things albeit "not as bad" as Tyson, that still doesn't give you a pass either. You mature, change, realize your mistakes and move forward which makes you a better person. That is seemingly exactly what Tyson has done. We are all a work in progress and Tyson is no different. If he messes up and goes backwards, then so be it, he can face the consequences just like we would. Other than that, you know the saying, "He who is without sin can cast the first stone".

ramairthree
05-21-20, 08:39
He was a kid with low intelligence, poor impulse control, extreme anger and violence issues, that essentially grew up as a feral human. He may or may not have been born a psychopath, but he formatively developed sociopathic tendencies. I lean towards the later as he actually seems to have a conscious and sense of remorse to some degree.

Someone discovered him, recognized his savant gift of basically being a 99.999th percentile potential at boxing, and got him going down that path.

But he got derailed.

People talk about him at his”peak”, but he never reached his potential peak.

Maybe things would have been different if he had grown up in a different environment, been smarter, more educated, plus not been derailed early in his career.

jack crab
05-21-20, 10:52
What about his opponent? It is a no-win situation.

If he wins, big deal. You beat up a senior citizen.

If he loses, dude, you got beat by a senior citizen.

There are no bragging rights to beating MT at age 53.

LMT Shooter
05-21-20, 12:22
Back on topic, I think that George Forman proved that Tyson has a chance to be very good. Much like Forman, Tyson has a style that may work quite well even later in life, and TRT is nothing short of miraculous for older athletes, in some cases.

ABNAK
05-21-20, 12:30
Back on topic, I think that George Forman proved that Tyson has a chance to be very good. Much like Forman, Tyson has a style that may work quite well even later in life, and TRT is nothing short of miraculous for older athletes, in some cases.

Do we know for sure he's on it?

LMT Shooter
05-21-20, 12:50
I don't know if he is, but if it's allowed in boxing, I would assume that he would try it. Even if it isn't allowed, unauthorized use of PEDs is common in all sports. My post was just to say that he has a chance, and we'll have to see how it goes.

And if he has truly changed, as a human being, regarding his behavior, good for him. He was a POS, I don't know if he still is or not. But, very few folks make that kind of change in life. It is possible, but rare.

Vic79
05-21-20, 12:50
Good Christ I hope he is. Otherwise it makes it even scarier that he is that much of a goddamn freak of nature.

LMT Shooter
05-21-20, 13:00
He was a kid with low intelligence, poor impulse control, extreme anger and violence issues, that essentially grew up as a feral human. He may or may not have been born a psychopath, but he formatively developed sociopathic tendencies. I lean towards the later as he actually seems to have a conscious and sense of remorse to some degree.

Someone discovered him, recognized his savant gift of basically being a 99.999th percentile potential at boxing, and got him going down that path.

But he got derailed.

People talk about him at his”peak”, but he never reached his potential peak.

Maybe things would have been different if he had grown up in a different environment, been smarter, more educated, plus not been derailed early in his career.

Agree with everything except the derailed part. He didn't get derailed, he self destructed. Derailed, to me, implies that he was a victim of outside forces that he could not control.

Averageman
05-21-20, 14:15
Agree with everything except the derailed part. He didn't get derailed, he self destructed. Derailed, to me, implies that he was a victim of outside forces that he could not control.

Just an observation;
Until fairly recently and with the advent of MMA, most combat sport participants came from lower socio economic environments. I would guess that, that actually defines Mike Tyson.
I'm not going to try to excuse criminal behavior, but I will say these folks tend to operate under a set of rules that more advantaged people find offensive, criminal and often require the justice system to intervene.
Cus Diamato, lifted this guy out of the ghetto, gave him a skill and trained him to be a Champion. After Cus died all bets were off, Tyson made some very bad choices and he paid for them. Don King and Robin Givens used him like a rented mule and bled him dry emotionally. It wasn't long before his life went off the rails. Robin Givens specifically could have saved him, but I'm of the opinion that she was just in it for the money.
He didn't have the mental or emotion tools to deal with these things because he was very likely never trained or given them.
In the last decade or so, he had seemed to get better and understand where he was and how to fix it.

SteyrAUG
05-21-20, 16:45
This is funny. Sure we didn't make the mistakes he did....and yes, he was a piece of shit at the time. The main thing is NOW. If you listen to him in his interviews, he knows he was bad and did bad things. He admits it and has done his best to turn things around best he can. That's all you can really ask of a person. Its really what matters. We all did bad things albeit "not as bad" as Tyson, that still doesn't give you a pass either. You mature, change, realize your mistakes and move forward which makes you a better person. That is seemingly exactly what Tyson has done. We are all a work in progress and Tyson is no different. If he messes up and goes backwards, then so be it, he can face the consequences just like we would. Other than that, you know the saying, "He who is without sin can cast the first stone".

Honestly I stopped listening to him long ago when I learned what he was. So I have never heard him express regret, remorse or do anything to make amends to his many victims or their families.

So one of three possibilities:

1. He said he's sorry but doesn't actually GAF and still a giant POS.
2. He said he's sorry, actually feels bad but never did anything to really fix it so still a POS.
3. He said he's sorry and actually did everything reasonable to make amends to his many victims or otherwise act in a positive manner by supporting victim groups, etc.

If it is actually the case of number 3 where he's accepted responsibility and done everything reasonable to make it right then I will alter my opinion of Tyson, but I suspect I'm not going to have to.

Vic79
05-21-20, 18:49
Supporting victim groups? Virtue signal much. Like there’s a bunch of old ladies sitting around drinking terrible coffee and chain-smoking talking about how they got beat up one time.

tb-av
05-21-20, 22:13
After Cus died all bets were off,

That's how I always saw it. I liked watching him box. Before the ear biting days.

SteyrAUG
05-22-20, 00:48
Supporting victim groups? Virtue signal much. Like there’s a bunch of old ladies sitting around drinking terrible coffee and chain-smoking talking about how they got beat up one time.

So given that his original victims probably passed away decades ago, IF Mike was trying to be a "nice guy" because he honestly felt bad, his only alternative would be to make amends that way.

Being a fanboy of a vicious sociopath you probably can't related to this concept so I'll try and make it really, really simple for you.

Let's say I'm a retard who liked to drive drunk because I think it's fun and I don't believe I actually put people at undue risk because I'm a selfish asshole. Let's say I do this for years without incident which just reinforces my belief that DUI laws are ridiculous and statistics are exaggerated and mostly it's just a way for people to mess with me getting my drink on and having a good time.

Then one nigh after years of not knowingly causing problems I kill a couple kids in a car accident where I was deemed at fault due to being under the influence. Now jail and fines aside, there is nothing I can do to make that shit right. Those kids would be dead and there is nothing I can give the families and loved ones that will make it ok.

Now let's also assume I honestly had a revelation and found out that I really was responsible and my former actions were completely wrong. There is nothing I can do to undo the damage I've done, so if I want to truly do something the only thing I can do is what little I can to raise awareness in the hopes of prevention (even though none of that shit worked on me) and support victims groups to whatever extent I'm able. And this can simply be writing a check because they might not even want to deal with my direct involvement because I used to be a Class A POS.

When you victimize people the way Tyson did, there is only so much you can do to try and atone for your actions. But the good news for you is probably Tyson doesn't actually give a shit about that and his brain doesn't even work that way so it likely never occurred to him.

But by all means call me out for "virtue signalling" which is F'ing hilarious while at the same time giving Mike the Rapist a complete pass.