PDA

View Full Version : I know someone who moves their head like this while aiming

Ron3
05-20-20, 12:49
I asked him "why the head movement?".

He said it helped him "collect the sights" or some such weirdness. He actually shoots well for his age. (70's)

Is there a word for this or does anyone else do this?

No, I didn't try it. 😄

It's just like this but more subtle:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/1-28-2017/ueCoVf.gif

Gary1911A1
05-20-20, 13:32
Maybe his master eye is opposite of his dominate hand?

Adrenaline_6
05-20-20, 13:36
I asked him "why the head movement?".

He said it helped him "collect the sights" or some such weirdness. He actually shoots well for his age. (70's)

Is there a word for this or does anyone else do this?

No, I didn't try it. ��

It's just like this but more subtle:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/1-28-2017/ueCoVf.gif

Shoots well as in just accuracy? or do you mean well as in quick in transitioning and multiple targets? or both?

Ron3
05-20-20, 14:02
Shoots well as in just accuracy? or do you mean well as in quick in transitioning and multiple targets? or both?

He never shoots and moves. Or shoots very fast.

More of a bulls-eye guy.

AKDoug
05-20-20, 14:35
I don't know how old you are Ron3, but as you age and your eyes start failing on you, you end up doing weird things to bring objects into focus. He's old, he'll do what he wants to do. :D

gaijin
05-20-20, 15:04
Likely this^^.

It is most efficient to bring gun to your eye, head remaining motionless however.

Adrenaline_6
05-20-20, 15:19
He never shoots and moves. Or shoots very fast.

More of a bulls-eye guy.

That makes more sense. Moving your head around and being quick doesn't really go together. If all he is doing is bulls eye shooting, it doesn't really matter what he does, he has all the time in the world. He could do a ballet move prior and if it helps him...so be it.

Business_Casual
05-20-20, 20:26
Is his daughter in a condom commercial?

LMT Shooter
05-20-20, 22:07
I don't know how old you are Ron3, but as you age and your eyes start failing on you, you end up doing weird things to bring objects into focus. He's old, he'll do what he wants to do. :D

I wish I had no clue what you mean, but my eyes are funked up now, at age 50. I think you are correct about this.

dwhitehorne
05-21-20, 06:29
I guess none of you guys works a firing line regularly. I've been watching people shoot for 10 years at work. That head movement is quite common for the officers 45-55 years old when they get bifocals or transition lenses. They are constantly trying to align the sights and then see the targets and switch back and forth. David

Adrenaline_6
05-21-20, 07:44
I guess none of you guys works a firing line regularly. I've been watching people shoot for 10 years at work. That head movement is quite common for the officers 45-55 years old when they get bifocals or transition lenses. They are constantly trying to align the sights and then see the targets and switch back and forth. David

Although that might be true. That is the result of either just getting used to newly used lenses or those officers have not been shooting enough with them.

LMT Shooter
05-21-20, 08:28
If you have advice, other than shoot more, I'd love to hear it. I gave up on bi-focals period, I could not get used to them. I didn't try them for more than a few months. Fortunately for me, I adopted the habit of focusing on the target, not the sights, long ago. Unfortunately for me, that isn't the most conducive for maximum accuracy.

Adrenaline_6
05-21-20, 09:28
If you have advice, other than shoot more, I'd love to hear it. I gave up on bi-focals period, I could not get used to them. I didn't try them for more than a few months. Fortunately for me, I adopted the habit of focusing on the target, not the sights, long ago. Unfortunately for me, that isn't the most conducive for maximum accuracy.

I use progressive lenses. I cannot speak for bifocals. With progressives, you will develop a muscle memory with use that optimizes your focus at a specific distance with a specific angle you look through the lens. The human brain is amazing.

edit - you won't even necessarily have to shoot that much. Once you are used to the distances and the required angles your head needs to be at for distance, you should adjust to looking at a pistol sight pretty quick.

MountainRaven
05-21-20, 11:54

Put a red dot on your pistol: Problem solved.

LMT Shooter
05-21-20, 12:39
I use progressive lenses. I cannot speak for bifocals. With progressives, you will develop a muscle memory with use that optimizes your focus at a specific distance with a specific angle you look through the lens. The human brain is amazing.

edit - you won't even necessarily have to shoot that much. Once you are used to the distances and the required angles your head needs to be at for distance, you should adjust to looking at a pistol sight pretty quick.

I have no line progressive bifocals, I just couldn't get used to them.

Put a red dot on your pistol: Problem solved.

I've been thinking this is the best answer, but hell, I still rock irons on my rifles as my primary sights. I may have to take your advice, however. A front sight post almost completely disappears to me under certain lighting.

Adrenaline_6
05-21-20, 13:44
I have no line progressive bifocals, I just couldn't get used to them.

I've been thinking this is the best answer, but hell, I still rock irons on my rifles as my primary sights. I may have to take your advice, however. A front sight post almost completely disappears to me under certain lighting.

Were you using them all day for awhile? If you just used them occasionally, then that could have been the problem. I admit, when you just get them, its weird and you find yourself spatially disoriented a little at times and moving your head around to get the perfect focus, but after awhile, you don;t notice them and its all good.

26 Inf
05-21-20, 14:39
Is his daughter in a condom commercial?

Nailed it.

Ron3
05-21-20, 15:35
That makes more sense. Moving your head around and being quick doesn't really go together. If all he is doing is bulls eye shooting, it doesn't really matter what he does, he has all the time in the world. He could do a ballet move prior and if it helps him...so be it.

Yea.

He's a "deliberate" / "paced" shooter. Always has been. I think part of it is growing up poor and simply ammo conservation. (Though he can shoot all he wants now)

Whether using sights at 25 yds or shooting his LCP from the waist at 3 yds, the man shoots more slowly than he should, but gets plenty of "A" zone hits. In his mind, 6 shots of .380 is 4-6 dead BG's. 😎

If he ever has to shoot someone I would expect a small number of solid hits. 👍

dwhitehorne
05-21-20, 20:17
Although that might be true. That is the result of either just getting used to newly used lenses or those officers have not been shooting enough with them.

Most only shoot every 6 months when mandatory and that's about it. Twice a year is like pulling teeth for some of them. David

dwhitehorne
05-21-20, 20:24

This is what I've been doing for about 10 years since I could last clearly see the front sight. I wear readers and know I'll never have glasses on if I need to draw my weapon. I'll never be a bullseye shooter but I can still hold my own.

I definitely prefer the 6 o'clock now as it is easier to put the blurry sights at the base of the target. Using the combat hold on a 6 inch plate at the 25 yardline is quite a challenge now.

tb-av
05-21-20, 20:26
Maybe his master eye is opposite of his dominate hand?

I was going to suggest the same.

Ron3
05-22-20, 06:35
Most only shoot every 6 months when mandatory and that's about it. Twice a year is like pulling teeth for some of them. David

Oh yea.

"Train? On my off day, off the clock?! Haha **** that!"

"I have to PAY for the class?! Are you ****ing insane?!"

"I'd have to PAY FOR A THOUSAND ROUNDS OF AMMO?! I can't even...get the **** away from me psycho!!!"

This is the conversation when suggesting professional DT or firearms training to 99.9% of LEO's.

Even those who work 15 days a month and make six figures. 😕

Ron3
05-22-20, 06:45
This is what I've been doing for about 10 years since I could last clearly see the front sight. I wear readers and know I'll never have glasses on if I need to draw my weapon. I'll never be a bullseye shooter but I can still hold my own.

I definitely prefer the 6 o'clock now as it is easier to put the blurry sights at the base of the target. Using the combat hold on a 6 inch plate at the 25 yardline is quite a challenge now.

One of the few shooting differences between my Beretta Cheetah and CZ P01 is the Cheetah needs a low 6 o'clock hold and the CZ is a bullseye hold. It actually shoots a little low with 115 gr ammo.

Even though my eye cannot crisply define the front sight (on either) I still get excellent accuracy with the CZ. I wonder how well a person with better vision could shoot the small-sight Beretta at 25m or more?

05-22-20, 15:30
Even those who work 15 days a month and make six figures. 😕

(Record skips)
Wait, which agencies are we talking about?

Ron3
05-22-20, 15:39
Many that run 12 hour shifts.

3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off, one short day. You'll work 15 days a month. 80 hours a two-week pay period.

05-22-20, 16:24
Many that run 12 hour shifts.

3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off, one short day. You'll work 15 days a month. 80 hours a two-week pay period.

I guess the 6 figures part is what got my attention. The 12 hr shifts are common.

Ron3
05-23-20, 07:29
I guess the 6 figures part is what got my attention. The 12 hr shifts are common.

In several agencies in FL and the Northeast and California and I'm sure others, after 15 years (step pay raises, collective bargaining raises) and OT and off-duty work, with the common uniform allowance, holiday pay, night pay, and insurance benefits 6 figures isnt rare. Add a promotion or two (K9, detective, Corporal, Sergeant, etc) and it's not rare to get to that with a minimum of OT and no off-duty work.

Brass makes even more, of course.

Then again, Florida Highway Patrol only starts in $40's/Yr IIRC, and there are plenty of Mayberry-type towns paying $30's.

But real bank can be made being a Police Officer. It can also ruin your life. (Sickness, injury, criminal charges, stress, divorce, etc)

Here ya go, just some examples:

https://www.indeed.com/career/deputy-sheriff/salaries