PDA

View Full Version : Cherrybalmz Gun Lube

Ironman8
05-20-20, 17:24
For those who have actually used it and put more than a mag worth of ammo downrange, is this stuff legit?

Based on reading reviews and a P&S podcast, it sounds promising and the two things that got me interested is it not burning off and it staying in place for things like carry weapons or HD rifles that don't get shot as much. I've been using SLIP 2000 EWL since the beginning and like the stuff, but it does run off and burn off fairly fast. If the claims are true, the CB may be a better solution for that. Seems most of the reviews I've been able to find are on TOS or Reddit, but I trust the guys info here a little more. That said, for all the guys who have used it, I haven't seen a negative review.

Uni-Vibe
05-20-20, 18:09
It's grease, right?

Grease traps residues and becomes sludge, while oil, such as Breakfree CLP or LP keeps the dirt in suspension and can be easily cleaned. No grease on AR-15.

Kyohte
05-20-20, 18:14
The creator has been on the P&S mod cast several times. I was initially curious, but see no reason to change when slip2000 does everything I need it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uni-Vibe
05-20-20, 18:29
If CLP was good enough for the LERPs in the Mekong in '69, it's good enough for me.

El Pistolero
05-20-20, 19:39
This thread is obviously going where every lube thread goes so the point is to just use something and use enough of it in the right places and your guns will serve you well. They are simple mechanical devices.

Ironman8
05-20-20, 20:40
I realize that its a simple lubrication problem.
I realize that enough vagisil will make the gun run.
I realize wonderlubes are beat to death on forums (I'm pretty sure this is the first thread I've ever participated in regarding lubes, much less starting one)

Yes, SLIP ELW has served me very well over the years and I'd be happy to use it going forward...and I might.

BUT

It falls somewhat short in the two areas I mentioned:

1) Staying put in storage or carry positions
2) Staying on the gun over hundreds or thousands of rounds without re-application (SLIP does fairly well here, but I wouldn't be asking about CB if they didn't claim it was better)

If I wasn't getting to the bottom of my last bottle of SLIP, I probably would have brushed off all these new wonderlubes like I have for years...but things progress and get improved upon, so that's why I'm asking.

mattexass
05-20-20, 20:54
My curiosity has been peaked by it for a bit from a longevity standpoint in addition to the claims that it plays well with other lubes should those be used as well.

Mysteryman
05-20-20, 21:01
Been using grease for 14 years on my guns. Stays where you put it, doesn't drip, burn, or blow off(depending on the grease). The concern over so called trapped residue and deposits is overblown in my experience and opinion. The Slip 200 EWG works very well, non toxic and extreme operating temperature range.

Leonidas24
05-20-20, 21:27
I've used it through two carbine classes and about 2,000 rounds through one gun now. It works. I don't really know how to expound its usefulness other than it stays where you put it, it stays wet for a really long time, it works really well when I shoot suppressed, it doesn't get gritty over time, it's easy to wipe off with a rag, and it's slick, really slick. In the last 10 years I've used Breakfree CLP, Militec, Slip2K EWL/EWG, Mobil 1, ATF, Seal 1, Fireclean, Lucas Extreme Duty Oil, ALG Go Juice, SOLGW Snake Oil, and once as a joke KY Warming Sensations.

Does Cherrybalmz work better than those? I honestly can't give a quantitative answer. I'd say it works better than CLP, Militec, EWL, Mobil 1, ATF, Fireclean, Snake Oil, Lucas, Seal 1, and KY. Go Juice is the only "oil" that I've been truly impressed by in that it didn't gum up after several range sessions with the Saker556. Cherrybalmz is the same way but it's slippery(er) and doesn't burn off as quickly.

SteveL
05-20-20, 22:19
I've read several lengthy posts by the creator of Cherrybalmz as well as report from end users and it does sound interesting. Since I'm getting low on FireClean I was thinking about trying it out.

The_War_Wagon
05-20-20, 22:38
If it sez "gun oil" somewhere on the packaging, I've probably bought and used it. NEVER had a gun malfunction, BECAUSE I used any of them(took a class once and the temperature at the range Sunday afternoon, was 9). Have SEEN/heard more than my share of weapon woes, from folks who didn't use SOME oil.

'Cherry' does NOTHING for me personally, so I'm not going out of my way to find any.

wickedyz
05-20-20, 22:44
If CLP was good enough for the LERPs in the Mekong in '69, it's good enough for me.

That is the stupidest thing I have read all day. Things have advanced a bit over the last 40 years. I am using ALG go Juice and their very thin grease with some success on parts where I want the lube not to migrate. I have used Fireclean, CLP, Militec, SLIP, TW25, LSAT, Sprinco machine gunner's lube and a few others that slip my mind. The ALG stuff is cheap and works better than all of the other things I have tried to this point. I'll probably try Cherrybalmz after it has a bit more time in circulation and if reports of its use continue to be glowing.

Ironman8
05-20-20, 23:29
I've used it through two carbine classes and about 2,000 rounds through one gun now. It works. I don't really know how to expound its usefulness other than it stays where you put it, it stays wet for a really long time, it works really well when I shoot suppressed, it doesn't get gritty over time, it's easy to wipe off with a rag, and it's slick, really slick. In the last 10 years I've used Breakfree CLP, Militec, Slip2K EWL/EWG, Mobil 1, ATF, Seal 1, Fireclean, Lucas Extreme Duty Oil, ALG Go Juice, SOLGW Snake Oil, and once as a joke KY Warming Sensations.

Does Cherrybalmz work better than those? I honestly can't give a quantitative answer. I'd say it works better than CLP, Militec, EWL, Mobil 1, ATF, Fireclean, Snake Oil, Lucas, Seal 1, and KY. Go Juice is the only "oil" that I've been truly impressed by in that it didn't gum up after several range sessions with the Saker556. Cherrybalmz is the same way but it's slippery(er) and doesn't burn off as quickly.

Thanks for the feedback, you’ve got much more experience with different brands than I do so it carries weight IMO. Are you using just the ALG Go Juice or are you also using their thin grease (VTG)? I’m curious if that would be a good lower cost option than CB that would do what I want it to...

Grease for general application on regular use guns (and on guns that mostly sit in the safe or are carry weapons that don’t get shot much) and when they start getting caked with crap after hundreds+ rounds, squirt some Go Juice to keep it running until you can clean and re-apply the grease??

Ironman8
05-20-20, 23:30
That is the stupidest thing I have read all day. Things have advanced a bit over the last 40 years. I am using ALG go Juice and their very thin grease with some success on parts where I want the lube not to migrate. I have used Fireclean, CLP, Militec, SLIP, TW25, LSAT, Sprinco machine gunner's lube and a few others that slip my mind. The ALG stuff is cheap and works better than all of the other things I have tried to this point. I'll probably try Cherrybalmz after it has a bit more time in circulation and if reports of its use continue to be glowing.

Thanks for your feedback here as well. Since you use both ALG products, I’d be interested if you use them similar to what I posted above?

MistWolf
05-21-20, 00:07
In for the leggy redhead!

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/652752_bebabee43dbe4b6da26b13957c865a69.jpg/v1/fill/w_280,h_282,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/652752_bebabee43dbe4b6da26b13957c865a69.webp

TomMcC
05-21-20, 00:08
Reading different things on the CB site, I found it interesting they gave 40 year old LSA praise for it's lubing and staying power.

wetidlerjr
05-21-20, 05:08
This thread is obviously going where every lube thread goes so the point is to just use something and use enough of it in the right places and your guns will serve you well. They are simple mechanical devices.

You got that right.:smile:

wickedyz
05-21-20, 05:32
Yep, I throw the grease on bolt surfaces that show wear and other usual spots and then throw a few drops of oil into the system when I shoot. It has worked well for me and both products do not show any signs of conflicting with each other.

scooter22
05-21-20, 06:37
It's grease, right?

Grease traps residues and becomes sludge, while oil, such as Breakfree CLP or LP keeps the dirt in suspension and can be easily cleaned. No grease on AR-15.

LMAO. Do you seriously think it’s that black and white? People have been using grease successfully for a long time.

Ironman8
05-21-20, 07:26
Yep, I throw the grease on bolt surfaces that show wear and other usual spots and then throw a few drops of oil into the system when I shoot. It has worked well for me and both products do not show any signs of conflicting with each other.

Perfect.

I think it was in the long ALG GJ thread where someone said that as the gun heats up, the grease thins out and acts like oil. Do you notice that after shooting, the grease has migrated off or thinned out significantly on the wear surfaces?

Being that Geissele claims it’s NLGI “0000“ and CB is closer to “0” I’m wondering how well the VTG works compared to CB, in regards to longevity over “X” number of rounds...?

Dr. Bullseye
05-21-20, 11:27
Reading different things on the CB site, I found it interesting they gave 40 year old LSA praise for it's lubing and staying power.

Maybe that is because LSA was developed by real lubrication engineers to meet a known condition, the M16. LSA contains a synthetic lubricant, held in partial suspension by lithium grease, an anti-corrosion agent, and an anti-rust agent. LSA is not a high temperature grease. It is a low temperature grease, meaning it releases the oil at the first shot rather than gets slung all throughout the interior of the rifle and eventually melts everywhere. LSA is not super snake oil invented, purchased in bulk and added to something in someone's garage. It is only a lubricant. It is cheap and still available on line.

Failure2Stop
05-21-20, 11:44
Maybe that is because LSA was developed by real lubrication engineers to meet a known condition, the M16. LSA contains a synthetic lubricant, held in partial suspension by lithium grease, an anti-corrosion agent, and an anti-rust agent. LSA is not a high temperature grease. It is a low temperature grease, meaning it releases the oil at the first shot rather than gets slung all throughout the interior of the rifle and eventually melts everywhere. LSA is not super snake oil invented, purchased in bulk and added to something in someone's garage. It is only a lubricant. It is cheap and still available on line.

LSA is still the go-to for machineguns in the .mil.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-21-20, 12:14

I could write a book with your quotes, but no one would believe anyone actually said that.

Anyways, we've been using Cherry Balmz at work on our suppressed guns, it works fine. I use CLP or Wilson Ultima Lube with similar results.

markm
05-21-20, 12:21
This thread is obviously going where every lube thread goes

It's been a while. I do miss the NANO LUBE thread. :jester:

VIP3R 237
05-21-20, 13:57
I know the guys at SOTAR love it and recommend it over anything else. I would like to give it a try one of these days but I’ve been more than happy with fireclean and both ALG offerings.

26 Inf
05-21-20, 14:24
Several months ago I bought the CherryBlamz five bottle set all five for the price of two. https://www.cherrybalmz.com/product-page/holiday-special-all-5-for-the-price-of-two

Here's what I think:

1) I was disappointed in the size of the bottles. They were all .5oz. Thinking they were sample sizes I checked the website to see what size the individual bottles were. This was an effort in futility as I could find no indication of quantity in the bottles on the website. I went so far as to add individual bottles to my cart and when I went to checkout there was no indication of bottle size. To me this is deceptive.

2) Price when viewed in relationship to amount of lube received seemed overly high. The CherryBalmz run about $17.00 a pop for .5 oz. Taking a look at all the lubes sitting on my bench I made a list and went online to see what quantity of those lubes I could get for less than $20.00:

MiliTech-1 - 4oz (a 2oz bottle rides in my range bag for field use)
Umbrella Unicorn Lube - 2oz (I know, I know, I like the logo, okay?)
ALG Go Juice - 4oz
EWL - 4oz
FireClean - 2oz
FrogLube - 4oz (don't have any but it's popular so I looked it up)
RemOil - 9,100 gallons (that's a semi trailer's worth with $5.00 left over - joking)

Although the CherryBalmz website emphasizes how little need be used, very few of these products advocate dipping the firearms in them. By-and-large, my thought is that other well-known products give you 4 to 8 times the amount of product for a comparative price.

3) Does it work? Well, yes, it does work and it seems to stay in place pretty good. I really don't have any opinion on 'works better than..' I have not used the Bolt Balm or Winter Balm.The one product I used that I could say improved performance of a pistol was Rimfire Remedy. I have a group of .22 training pistols, among them a dedicated Glock trainer using an Advantage Arms Conversion on a Gen1 G22 frame. When I take the older grand kids shooting this is the pistol that I get tired of clearing the FTF's or FTE's they have with that pistol. I used the Rimfire Remedy on that pistol and went through about 200 relatively trouble-free rounds. I clean the .22's after each use if more than 100 rounds are fired, some I'm pretty sure the product improved this pistol's function.

4) Marketing. I found this response in the FAQ section amusing in the context of selling a product with leggy red-head as the centerpiece of their logo: The reason we went with CherryBalmz is largely because we have little appreciation for the hype that seems so unfortunately common in the industry. It's been our experience that the most competent and professional people put forth little hype or ego - they're called Quiet Professionals for a reason. It's also been our experience that those hyping themselves the loudest are often the least...effective. And while it's a balancing act to market an excellent product while holding the values of quiet professionalism, we just don't feel the need to hype our product with an uber-tactical name to try to make it sound better. The science and engineering stands on its own. The grease feels like a balm and has that effect on healing finicky guns, while smelling like cherry. That's where the name comes from.

Bottom line is most all companies hype their products.

5) Final thoughts. I'm sure they know about lubes. I'm sure the products work. Whether 'better than...' is up for grabs. I think there are better values out there. I will probably kepp using Rimfire Remedy if the results with the Advantage Arms Conversion continue.

TomMcC
05-21-20, 17:35

I'm thinkin' I should retry some LSA. I remember using it back in the 80's, but dont remember how it did. It sound like some good lube.

Uni-Vibe
05-22-20, 16:33
26Inf: for that $17 that buys you 0.5 ounces of Cherrybalmz, you could get a PINT of CLP.

26 Inf
05-22-20, 17:37
26Inf: for that $17 that buys you 0.5 ounces of Cherrybalmz, you could get a PINT of CLP.

I didn't include CLP because I haven't used it in years and have none on my bench. Besides that, there are numerous CLP's to choose from

Break Free® CLP® is the gold standard solution requiring only one step to clean, lubricate and protect your firearm. Originally developed for the U.S. Military and proven in the world’s most extreme conditions.

or

G96 Synthetic CLP Gun Oil has been approved by the U.S. Army for the 21st Century – Mil Spec MIL-PRF-63460F (Type A).

or

RADCOLUBE® CLP (GUN OIL) MIL-PRF-63460F TY: A

or

Original Gun Oil CLP Quickly Cleans, Lubricates and Protects Firearms - Experience Superior Protection Against Rust and Corrosion in Extreme Environments While Enhancing Your Firearms Performance.

and so on....

Please don't attach any snarkiness, I'm just bored..

Uni-Vibe
05-22-20, 18:48
Or $17 will buy at least a half gallon of Mobil 1, as opposed to a half ounce of Cherrybalmz.

Leonidas24
05-22-20, 20:19
Thanks for the feedback, you’ve got much more experience with different brands than I do so it carries weight IMO. Are you using just the ALG Go Juice or are you also using their thin grease (VTG)? I’m curious if that would be a good lower cost option than CB that would do what I want it to...

Grease for general application on regular use guns (and on guns that mostly sit in the safe or are carry weapons that don’t get shot much) and when they start getting caked with crap after hundreds+ rounds, squirt some Go Juice to keep it running until you can clean and re-apply the grease??

I only ran the oil. I had some sample packets from SHOT but never got around to using the VTG.

Dino11
05-23-20, 04:41
The best lube I have found is synthetic Redline engine assembly lube. It is a lot like Cherry Balmz and is designed to stay put, protect under harsh conditions, does not burn off, Flash point of 450*, has a ton of Molybidum in it. If it is good enough to build $100,000 race engines and protect them on initial startup under some extremely high pressures, friction, and temperature, I figured it would work well in my firearms. I have been using it for a few years now and is my go to lube for any part of a gun that slides. If it pivots it get a drop or two of Mobile1 oil.

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/red-80312

Circle_10
05-23-20, 05:12
I decided to try it early this year and got the five-bottle deal as well. I tried some of the standard “Black Rifle” balm on a 10.3” SBR and it worked fine, as in the gun didn’t fail to function after using it, that’s about the extent of a “field report” that I can provide - that it didn’t not work.
I actually haven’t used it on any of my other guns though and the reason is largely laziness on my part. The bottles are very small, and yes the company says you don’t need much, just apply it with the little applicator brush to wear surfaces. Because of how small the bottles are, if you over use it, it’s going to be gone pretty quickly. But precisely applying strategic amounts of boutique gun lube to the wear surfaces on BCGs with a little nail polish brush kind of conflicts with my usual routine of just slathering the bitch in Slip and sticking it back in the upper. So whenever I consider trying the Cherry Balmz again when I have a gun down in the basement for a re-lube I end up deciding “Ain’t nobody got time fo’ dat!” and grab the Slip instead.

26 Inf
05-23-20, 12:01
Or $17 will buy at least a half gallon of Mobil 1, as opposed to a half ounce of Cherrybalmz.

Now your effing with me LOL. The only non-automotive use I have for Mobil-1 is to lube the main shaft of my RL550.

runningbear762
05-23-20, 14:03
I like it because it smells like Twizzlers and tastes even better

JediGuy
05-23-20, 14:55
The best lube I have found is synthetic Redline engine assembly lube. It is a lot like Cherry Balmz and is designed to stay put, protect under harsh conditions, does not burn off, Flash point of 450*, has a ton of Molybidum in it. If it is good enough to build $100,000 race engines and protect them on initial startup under some extremely high pressures, friction, and temperature, I figured it would work well in my firearms. I have been using it for a few years now and is my go to lube for any part of a gun that slides. If it pivots it get a drop or two of Mobile1 oil.

That is interesting. Looks like it is an initial breakin/assembly lubricant that later blends with regular engine oil when use begins. That seems to be pretty applicable to AR’s.

RHINOWSO
05-23-20, 16:10
New hotness lube pumped up my influencers and social media...????

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2Fv3DSx4jcbIeOs%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Leonidas24
05-23-20, 17:36
AR-15 Lubrication - An Interview With CherryBalmz (https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/ar-15-lubrication-an-interview-with-cherrybalmz/)

For those that feel like geeking out on the science and engineering that has gone into this stuff. It's interesting at the very least.

runningbear762
05-24-20, 09:02

I just ordered some. How does it run on supressed guns? Stay in place pretty good?

Dino11
05-24-20, 15:51
I just ordered some. How does it run on supressed guns? Stay in place pretty good?

I have shot 500 plus rounds and the stuff was still clinging to the parts I put it on. You want to make your trigger slippery than gorilla snot lube your trigger with it.

Cold weather has no ill effects either. After you are done shooting just wipe it off and re lube, keeps all the carbon suspended and clean up is a breeze. I use brushes for putting soldering paste on, use a pair of scissors to trim the bristle to about 3/8". I cover the whole outside of the BCG, and the bolt. But not the face of the bolt, also do the bolt bore on the carrier. This stuff is amazing. I shoot a lot, reload my own ammo. I have never broken any parts on any of my AR's, and wear is kept to a minimum. I learned about it because I build high HP race engines, most of the engines I build have $30,000 just in parts in them and this is the stuff I use to assemble them with.

TMS951
05-24-20, 20:50
Would I really notice if one good lube was better than the other? Probably not. If it works it works.

Currently I use ALG go juice (thier little single serve packets are super convenient, I put them in the pistol grip) I also use the red Lucas stuff. Really just depends what bottle is laying around. Neither gum up, but wipe clean.

What I do notice is lubes that are junk. Rand CLP was the worst I ever used. Gummed right up and stopped firing pins from moving. Second was froglube when that was all the rage, nope not for me.

Why really makes a good lube?, applying it often and applying plenty of it. I do this with both the ALG and Lucas. They both work. They both don’t gum and both wipe clean.

IKnowNotEverything
05-24-20, 23:45
I use it on both my rifles and my pistols, has been rock solid so far. Stays in place and does not migrate or dry out quickly. I was initially disappointed in the bottle sizes but a little bit actually does go a long way.

My competition pistol went over 1000 rounds before i cleaned it and was problem free the whole time. I am now a firm believer in grease vs oil, and have an additional bottle of ALG very thin grease as well.

Modern lubricants are better, though the marketing BS is obviously a problem (FireClean anyone?). I also used Lubriplate SFL-0 and that was by far the best value for grease you will ever find. I unfortunately lost my lifetime supply in a recent move.

Biggy
05-25-20, 08:31
It is my favorite gun lube, and used as directed , a little of it does go a pretty long way. But IMHO, value wise, it’s not the best out there.

TexHill
05-25-20, 10:02
Here is a great article on gun oils and how not to get taken by the "snake oil" salesmen.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

05-25-20, 10:24
Here is a great article on gun oils and how not to get taken by the "snake oil" salesmen.

I’ve been using the crap out of his recommendations for the past few years. Cheap, non-toxic, works, comes in proper volumes for people that shoot more than once a year. I’m only following these lube threads because I finally had to order some more (ran out because I kept forgetting to order) and it has not arrived yet, so I need pretty much any non-toxic lube at this point. So now I need to swing by PSA and buy something for the interim.

TexHill
05-25-20, 10:41
I’ve been using the crap out of his recommendations for the past few years. Cheap, non-toxic, works, comes in proper volumes for people that shoot more than once a year. I’m only following these lube threads because I finally had to order some more (ran out because I kept forgetting to order) and it has not arrived yet, so I need pretty much any non-toxic lube at this point. So now I need to swing by PSA and buy something for the interim.

I found this statement in the article to be revealing if not profound:

What about “miracle products”?
Let’s be clear: there are no “new”, “revolutionary” lubricant products made for firearms. That’s a flat statement, and it’s intended to be. All of the lubricants, bases, and additives of suitable use are already well known to the lubricant industry. Specific combinations might be unique, but it’s all been tried before – if not necessarily on guns.
There are several such products on the market right now that are simply a well-known boundary additive in a light carrier; at least one of them is a chlorinated ester! These things have been around a long time, and unless you didn’t know better the products using them would indeed seem to be “revolutionary.” Just remember: any new gun lube is going to be made up of readily available components, perhaps blended especially for the requirement, but will not be a “miracle”.

Ironman8
05-25-20, 12:03

Thanks for the link, very good read!...sounds alot like what CB is claiming and also comes in NLGI #0 grease.

Come to think of it...a white, no odor NLGI #0 grease would make for a great base to add a red color and cherry odor....hmmmm.

Ironman8
05-25-20, 12:12

So this was what I was looking for in the article and on lubrikit...I may have missed it but it IS non-toxic, correct? I assumed it was since it's "food grade" but wasn't sure.

I'm obviously not married to the idea of using CB...but I am sold on the idea of using a light grease for general lubrication and having an oil for high round count days when the gun gets sluggish (adding oil vs. breaking the gun down to re-apply grease). If Lubriplate works just as well AND it's cheaper, then I'm in. I was also thinking of trying the Slip EWG since it's supposedly non-toxic, an NLGI #1 grease and it's not very expensive at ~$17 for the 4oz jar

SteveL
05-25-20, 16:45

Good read. Thanks for sharing that.

JediGuy
05-25-20, 17:02
Great article

TexHill
05-25-20, 22:11
So this was what I was looking for in the article and on lubrikit...I may have missed it but it IS non-toxic, correct? I assumed it was since it's "food grade" but wasn't sure.

I'm obviously not married to the idea of using CB...but I am sold on the idea of using a light grease for general lubrication and having an oil for high round count days when the gun gets sluggish (adding oil vs. breaking the gun down to re-apply grease). If Lubriplate works just as well AND it's cheaper, then I'm in. I was also thinking of trying the Slip EWG since it's supposedly non-toxic, an NLGI #1 grease and it's not very expensive at ~$17 for the 4oz jar

Lubriplate’s FMO-350-AW is food grade and non-toxic. It's approved by the FDA and Dept. of Agriculture for use on food processing equipment.

Anunnaki
05-27-20, 19:43

Very informative, thanks for posting that.

To the main topic, never tried CB, I read about it on TOS and was interested at first, but IMO, it was just too expensive for the amount you get and I didn't see any problems it would be addressing. I mainly use slip ewl & ewg (applied in the same areas as mentioned in the above article) and it pretty much covers the bases without any issues.

Uni-Vibe
05-27-20, 20:08
I never understood Frog Lube. It's vegetable oil. If you leave vegetable oil sitting around exposed to air, it deteriorates and turns rancid, no? I assume Cherrybalmz doesn't suffer from this issue?

Kyohte
05-27-20, 22:59
I never understood Frog Lube. It's vegetable oil. If you leave vegetable oil sitting around exposed to air, it deteriorates and turns rancid, no? I assume Cherrybalmz doesn't suffer from this issue?

Cherrybalmz is synthetic. They claim it can last at least 3 years once applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kirkland
05-31-20, 11:06
Grease in an AR turns into a gooey black sticky mess. I still haven't found anything that works better than Mobil 1

Mysteryman
05-31-20, 13:11
Grease in an AR turns into a gooey black sticky mess. I still haven't found anything that works better than Mobil 1

Not true. Been greasing my AR's for nearly 20 years without issue.

georgeib
05-31-20, 14:06

Not true. Lightly greasing the bolt carrier rails works great. I also lightly grease the action spring coils. (SLIP2000 EWG mixed with Tetra Gun Grease)

kirkland
06-04-20, 12:35
Not true. Been greasing my AR's for nearly 20 years without issue.

Not true. Lightly greasing the bolt carrier rails works great. I also lightly grease the action spring coils. (SLIP2000 EWG mixed with Tetra Gun Grease)

You guys must be using the right amount of grease in the right places. I've seen an AR that where the BCG and inside of the upper receiver were both coated in a black sticky mess of grease. I washed it all out with seafoam then lubed it up with oil like you normally would then it was slicker than snot. Owner was happy. I'm glad it works for you guys but personally I'll just oil the AR and save the grease for the M1 garand

JediGuy
06-04-20, 14:20
What type of grease was used? The article shared above discusses the appropriate weight grease for use in guns.

georgeib
06-04-20, 15:26
You guys must be using the right amount of grease in the right places. I've seen an AR that where the BCG and inside of the upper receiver were both coated in a black sticky mess of grease. I washed it all out with seafoam then lubed it up with oil like you normally would then it was slicker than snot. Owner was happy. I'm glad it works for you guys but personally I'll just oil the AR and save the grease for the M1 garand
Yes, I use a light coating on just the bearing surfaces alone. "If it slides; grease it. If it rolls; oil it." Stays put and wipes up easy, ready for a reapplication every few range days.

What type of grease was used? The article shared above discusses the appropriate weight grease for use in guns.
I use a mixture of Slip 2000 EWG and Tetra Gun Grease. I basically squeezed out the tube of Tetra into a 3/4 full plastic jar of the EWG and stirred it with a popsicle stick. I have found that the mixture is a lot slicker than either alone. I do the same thing with Slip 2000 EWL and Tetra Gun oil. Amazing stuff.

I've switched all my shooting buddies over too. Everyone who handles one of my rifles or pistols remarks on how slick the actions are. FWIW.

Ironman8
06-04-20, 23:02
I use a mixture of Slip 2000 EWG and Tetra Gun Grease. I basically squeezed out the tube of Tetra into a 3/4 full plastic jar of the EWG and stirred it with a popsicle stick. I have found that the mixture is a lot slicker than either alone. I do the same thing with Slip 2000 EWL and Tetra Gun oil. Amazing stuff.

I’m not sure I’m following...are you mixing a grease with an oil or a grease with another grease? I’m not familiar with tetra grease/oil products... also, if you’re mixing grease and oil, do the two separate at all?

I’ve been considering mixing some EWL and EWG to thin it out but wasn’t sure if it would even stay together, or mix for that matter.

georgeib
06-05-20, 05:03
Haven't had any separation issues. Been a few years too.

MistWolf
06-05-20, 10:11
"If it slides; grease it. If it rolls; oil it."

That doesn't work. The bolt slides in the carrier and needs to be lubed, but I wouldn't recommend using grease. Nothing on the AR rolls, yet it's designed to be lubed with oil.

That saying doesn't apply to anything else, either. Wheel bearings roll, but if you used oil instead of grease, the bearings would quickly have a catastrophic failure.

georgeib
06-05-20, 10:15
That doesn't work. The bolt slides in the carrier and needs to be lubed, but I wouldn't recommend using grease. Nothing on the AR rolls, yet it's designed to be lubed with oil.

That saying doesn't apply to anything else, either. Wheel bearings roll, but if you used oil instead of grease, the bearings would quickly have a catastrophic failure.I will definitely defer to your experience. Good point about bearings.

Honest question: don't the hammer and trigger "roll" around the pins?

MistWolf
06-05-20, 10:31
Honest question: don't the hammer and trigger "roll" around the pins?

The FCG pins slide. They either slide in the pin holes of the lower, the FCG parts or both.

Take a pen and grip it in your first. Turn the pen with your other hand. You'll feel the pen sliding against your skin as it spins. Now, place the pen in your open palm and roll it back & forth with your other palm. Now, the pen rolls.

georgeib
06-05-20, 10:52
That makes complete sense. "Roll" is a misnomer in this context.

m4luvr
06-05-20, 14:17
on the other hand though i will continue to use grease in the wheel bearings of my vehicle and not just oil them 😃

steelcore
06-05-20, 14:26
Just got some more cherrybalmz in the mail today. Did the mix and match five for the price of two. Previously was using TW25b but so far I'm pleased with the cherrybalmz. Not having any issues with it reacting to my Eezox clp I use and it seems to not get funky etc. Expensive for size of bottles but the special they ran was good. A little does go a long way

Uni-Vibe
06-05-20, 14:30
The only time I used grease on any firearm was when I carried 1911. I put pro-gold gun grease on the rails, because oil might get on my clothes.

Mysteryman
06-08-20, 18:31

A sticky mess of a rifle is not empirical evidence that grease is a poor lubricant. Improper application, lack of cleaning or any number of other factors could be involved. Grease remains where you put it. If you use good grease it won't drip, burn, or blow off like oil. Lubricate the bearing surfaces of the BCG(4 "rails") on an AR15, not the entire thing. Wipe the bolt tail, the cam pin and track. Nothing more. Lubricating the trigger/sear is tough to do with grease so I hit it with a couple drops of Slip2000 EWL oil or something similar(TW25B).

Slip 200 Extreme Weapons Grease(EWG).

TomMcC
06-29-20, 19:36
Ordered a Magnum kit from Lubri-Kit.com 6/8. Haven't gotten anything yet and their CS is really bad. Made multiple calls and left a couple of messages, tried to contact them on their website and email...nothing. I'm about to call the CC company and walk away. I liked the idea of a non-toxic lube, but it doesn't look like it happening.

06-29-20, 20:11
Ordered a Magnum kit from Lubri-Kit.com 6/8. Haven't gotten anything yet and their CS is really bad. Made multiple calls and left a couple of messages, tried to contact them on their website and email...nothing. I'm about to call the CC company and walk away. I liked the idea of a non-toxic lube, but it doesn't look like it happening.

I have the same problem. I’ve used them for a while, and I ran out right after the panic started. I ordered some more, and nothing. Its been like 3 months. I’ve since acquired a bunch of Go-Juice and some Cherry Balm, so I can stop scooping black goop out of unused lowers to lube my BCG.

TomMcC
06-29-20, 20:19
Oh man, I'm definitely calling my CC company. It's only $25-$30, something like that, but they ain't getting it. I do hope something terrible hasn't happened to them, like pestilence, but if so, they could have put up something on the website.

Alpine2k3
06-29-20, 20:23
I got mine today after being close to a month since I put my order in. They threw in an extra bottle for the delay.

TomMcC
06-29-20, 20:29
Looks like a mixed bag then.