PDA

View Full Version : rifle selection

dsmguy7
11-25-08, 03:00

Dave L.
11-25-08, 11:58
Eventually people will have to pay their credit card bill and the buying will slow down.
Relax, you will have plenty of time time to find another AR. Maybe just buy a lower or 2 and build them slowly, a lower is between 120-160.
Prices may stay 10-20% higher though; who knows.

sgtmajor
11-25-08, 17:59
Eventually people will have to pay their credit card bill and the buying will slow down.
Relax, you will have plenty of time time to find another AR. Maybe just buy a lower or 2 and build them slowly, a lower is between 120-160.
Prices may stay 10-20% higher though; who knows.

Im with Dave on this one. The crazy spending will soon end and I doubt that the first act as president will be to bad guns there’s to many other issues for that. Im not saying don’t buy one im just saying I think things are a little blown out of proportion right now.

NickB
11-25-08, 20:34
If you're buying in preparation of a ban, 10 $100 lowers will be far more valuable than a single $1000 rifle. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I, too, have purchased a number of stripped lowers "just in case". Come January 20, however, I'm going to be hitting the Hill like a madman to put a stop to as much legislation as I possibly can.

sgtmajor
11-25-08, 20:49
If you're buying in preparation of a ban, 10 $100 lowers will be far more valuable than a single $1000 rifle. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I, too, have purchased a number of stripped lowers "just in case". Come January 20, however, I'm going to be hitting the Hill like a madman to put a stop to as much legislation as I possibly can.

i think all will pan out......that said i did pick up a few "stripped" lowers myself before my dealer ran out.

ar-junkie
11-25-08, 20:55

Why is it people are more concerned with lowers than uppers or complete rifles before a ban? Do lowers break more or something? I'm noob to this so if someone would please inform me... Are uppers not banned? Do they normally ban all replacement parts like extractors or a simple mil-spec pin that breaks. Reason I ask is you said you have purchased a number of stripped lowers, wouldn't you need the pieces before ban or is that something you could get afterwords?

NoBody
11-25-08, 20:58
Deleted.

NickB
11-25-08, 20:58
Why is it people are more concerned with lowers than uppers or complete rifles before a ban? Do lowers break more or something? I'm noob to this so if someone would please inform me... Are uppers not banned? Do they normally ban all replacement parts like extractors or a simple mil-spec pin that breaks. Reason I ask is you said you have purchased a number of stripped lowers, wouldn't you need the pieces before ban or is that something you could get afterwords?

The lower is the "registered firearm", or serialized part. The date of manufacture is identified by the serial number engraved on the lower receiver. If your "gun" (read: lower receiver on an AR) was manufactured prior to the date of the ban, you can put whatever you want on it, even during the ban. Flash hiders, collapsible stocks, threaded barrels, etc.

Of course this is all assuming it is a Clinton-style AWB next time, which may or may not be the case.

NickB
11-25-08, 21:00
I wonder if that's why Noveske ran out of lowers to build their rifles on. :eek:

I'm partially to blame for that. :( Although I am taking care of John as much as I possibly can, so hopefully I can make up for it.

NoBody
11-25-08, 21:02
Deleted.

NickB
11-25-08, 21:04
Hey, Nick, I thought the old AWB made it illegal to assemble the lower into a complete rifle unless it was in that configuration prior to the ban. Granted, good luck proving that one, but...

The ban itself did not, but an ATF ruling did. At least that is my understanding. I have no doubt that every "stripped" lower that was purchased by our forum friends will be fully and completely assembled as a rifle before the ban is enacted. Not a doubt in my mind... ;)

NoBody
11-25-08, 21:08
Deleted.

whaledriver
11-25-08, 21:13
To the original question. I think it all comes down to what you want to do with it. Is it a paper puncher, self defense, investment? With that being said you mentioned the 308 caliber. I will say one this, it is a sweet shooter but it is heavy. I am looking at doing a 6.8 so I can deer hunt with it and still not have the weight issues.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-26-08, 00:52
I'm in the same boat as you. I was looking to get into AR10s, maybe an M14, but I decided to stay with the .223 platform. I figured if I need that much range, I'll just use a bolt gun.

The issue with stripped lowers is that the old ban IIRC was that all AWB were illegal, except if you could prove that they were "manufactured" before the ban. ATF took that to mean as complete, and the stickler was that you had to prove that you finished it before the deadline. Who knows what the new ban, if there is a ban, will be. It may be the state laws that get us first. I'm not going hog wild on lowers because Ithink they are going to either make it illegal to transfer AW, or make it a Class III type thing.

What I'm doing is buying enough ammo to be comfortable (1-2000rnds) and mags. For the AR, I'm buying mainly Stainless Steel Mags, and a few Pmags. For ammo, metal prices are going down, and after demand ramps down there should be lower prices. It is disheartening to google ammo price, see incredible prices, and realize it is a post from 2003 ;(

dsmguy7
11-26-08, 01:49

carbinero
11-26-08, 11:42
I'm in a similar plan, such that I even just bought a G19!

IMHO, it's good to have two ARs, then a .308 bolty.

I think you're a little light on the ammo, but no rush on the Aimpoint.

RogerinTPA
11-26-08, 12:21
More mags, more ammo, and a few LMT lowers would be my priority.

dsmguy7
11-29-08, 00:46