PDA

View Full Version : M&P vs. Glock

dsmguy7
11-25-08, 03:42

Blake
11-25-08, 05:36
How is this a M&P vs. Glock as the title states. Sounds like you have made your decision to go with the Glock. I think you will find that many people here will tell you that a decision to go with a Glock 19 is a wise decision. It is an excellent choice for concealed carry. The Glock 19 will be a 15 rd. magazine. Sights are a personal choice so I would do some research and try to find which sights you like best, and roll with it. If you don't like them, you can always change your sights later.

As far as the pistol lock. It has been a while since I have bought a Glock, but I believe they are referring to a gun lock, that goes through the chamber and mag well that will be used to secure the weapon when not in use.

The trigger weight is also personal. My opinion is that an 8 lb. trigger is too heavy. I would go with a standard 5.5 trigger, or get the 3.5 connector with NY1 spring. I have not tried the NY1 combo, but I hear it is nice. I have the 5.5 lb.

I think if you take the time to read and do some research you will find a lot of these answers, many of which can be answered on these forums, or if possible shooting different setups.

DM-SC
11-25-08, 07:06
It's really hard to beat a G19 for the role of CCW/Defense/general shooting.

Trigger - I'd go 5.5lb. All of my Glocks have 3.5lb connectors.

Sights - Both the Glock (Mepro?) and Trijicon NS are good quality. The Mepros on my 1998 G19 are almost as bright as the Trijicons on my 2004 G19.

As I've aged, I've come to prefer a black rear sight with a dot (NS, Dot or FO) front sight. it just works better for me with not as much clutter.

I'd recommend staying away from the C model. That could get nasty if you had to shoot from retention! :eek:

I'll add...another great thing about the Glocks are, you can easily change the sights and trigger if you don't like it the way you order it.

givo08
11-25-08, 12:28
If you are set on the glock, then the G19 is one of the best choices out there in my opinion. I would go with the 5.5# trigger, and it's easy enough to swap to any of the other options for $5-15 at the most. I would also go with the standard glock plastic sights and put money into another set of aftermarket sights. You may want to do some research on this...a lot of people like heinie straight 8's or warren tactical sights, and feel that either of these is quicker without than 3 standard 3 dot without sacrificing accuracy.

Now for the M&P, there are a few features I really like about this series more than the Glock...most are very subjective/personal feelings:
-Slide release is ambidexterous
-Mag release is much quicker to activate for me and I can do it without changing my grip. The mags also drop free much faster than glock mags because they are looser in the mag well.
-The trigger does not dig into my finger like the glock trigger can after extended range session.
-The M&P has a steel "chassis" that the frame rails are a part of -- logically this makes more sense to me than having metal rails imbedded in polymer like the Glock. There have been instances of Glock frame rails breaking off, although the guns remain functional afterwards and glock will replace the entire frame no questions asked.
-The guide rod on the M&P is steel. This is something else subjective...the Glock guide rods have very few reported issues, but it just feels "cheaper." I wish Glock made a factory steel replacement guide rod, but there are plenty of aftermarket steel replacements.
-The interchangable backstraps on the M&P also give you a palm swell style grip, which I think is more ergonomic than the Glock style grip. I am also one of the few people that feel like my G19 was made for my hand though, and am happy with the overall feel of it.
-The interchangable backstraps allow you to go with a crimson trace replacement without adding any weird dimensions to the grip like they do on the Glocks.

Now that looks like a lot of pros that may lean you toward the M&P, but keep in mind that my G19 is my favorite all around handgun and would be the very last that I would ever consider selling. For me the biggest factor in favor of the Glock is the size. The M&P full size is more like a G17 in grip size, which makes it much harder to conceal for me. The M&Pc is too small for me because it cannot hold a full size light. The optimal size in my opinion would be a full size M&P barrel/slide with a 5" grip length (like the G19, 1/2" shorter than the current full size grip).

dsmguy7
11-26-08, 04:43

M4arc
11-26-08, 07:01
If you carry a Glock at work I'd stick with them because of familiarity and compatability reasons.

givo08
11-26-08, 08:42
Thanks for all of your responses.
givo08: Wow! That's a lot of pros for the M&P. I'm gonna have to shoot them both side by side. As far as the "trigger" digging into your finger; are you refering to the trigger guard rubbing your middle finger raw? If so, I know what you mean.

I was referring to the trigger safety itself digging into my finger after extended range sessions, I don't have an issue with the trigger guard. Again, that is a big list of pro's for the M&P, but I can list just as many for the Glock. Some of the more important advantages of the glock are:
- Short, forceful, and positive trigger reset
- Easy to work on trigger, lots of different trigger configs so you can find what you like best.
- Cheaper mags. Mags are very durable.
- 33 round mags
- Any sights out there are an option.
- Any holsters out there are an option
- The finish is the best for both wear/scratch resistance and corrosion resistance.
- Size options within a caliber: G34, 17, 17L, 19, 26 -- for example.

John Fettes
11-26-08, 09:32
Since you would be buying the Glock as an individual, you will be paying the Federal Excise Tax. If your state or local agency bought it they would most likely be exempt.

I have had a G19 for about 19 years. It is on its second set of factory NS. If I was doing it again, or next time, I might try the Henie Straight 8's. I have them on two 1911's with a wider rear notch and really like them.

I only have a M&P full size and compact, both in .45 ACP, so my experience with them is somewhat limited. They both feel great in the hand and shoot well.

I think that the ergonomics of the M&P's is superior, but as you point out the parts availability for Glocks is excellent. With minimal training just about anyone can swap Glock parts. The M&P is a more complex design IMLTHO. Glock magazines are plentiful and relatively cheap. The LE price now may be under $20 if purchased from Glock.

FWIW, S&W has a LE sales person for each state. They may be able to direct you to a deal. Should you decide to get one in the future, you can contact them here:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=25302&sectionId=14151

I think that both Glock (except the 26, 27, 33, and maybe 39) and S&W LE guns come with a third magazine, in addition to the special price. The LE Glocks have a blue label and are sometimes referred to as blue label guns.

I currently have the 5.5 trigger spring setup in my G19. I have tried both the NY1 spring & 3.5 connector, and the NY1 spring & 5.5 connector.

I don't know of any Federal requirement to stay in LE a certain amount of time if Federal Excise Tax has been paid on the gun. If Alabama doesn't have any restrictions on firearms possession (i.e. a possession permit being required) or magazine capacity restrictions like CA, NY, NJ, and others states, you "should" be OK there.

John

dsmguy7
11-29-08, 00:39

John Fettes
11-29-08, 10:34
They should work in any of the 9mm, but as Glock has said, they are not designed to do so. I bought some, but have never carried them. I use a G17 magazine as a spare for my 19, and a 19 magazine as a spare for my 26.

John

RWK
11-29-08, 12:13
Thanks, guys. Very informative. It looks like Glock for now; perhaps a m&p later. I've gotta check out their prices. Just curious, can you even utilize a 33 round mag? :eek: Thanks once again.

Yes, you can. Some people use them the way that certain British groups used to use 20-rd Hi Power mags and some folks use 20-rd 93R mags in their Beretta 92's - "big stick" primary mags/reloads for a dedicated "car gun".

I personally know a lot of folks who carry G17 mags as reloads for their G19's and G26's.

Deputy91
11-29-08, 16:16
I shoot Glocks and Sigs. I do not have any experience with M&P's.

That being said f you carry a Glock as your service weapon I would carry one as your off-duty/backup as well. The likely-hood of using it is small but if you do need to then your training and muscle memory will take over and same gun / sight picture is what I would (and did) go for. My advise (for what it is worth) is to go with the G19 or G26 with the Glock tritium sights, with the standard 5.5lb trigger.

Yes you can use the 33 round (G18) magazine in the G17, G19 and even in the G26. It is kind of funny (strange) to see the magazine that is larger than the pistol but it works well.

That being said I own a G17 (service weapon) 2-G19's and a G26. I had the 19's before I was in LE. I usually carry the G26 off-duty but carry a G19 or G17 as a backup magazine for it.

-Mike.

theblackknight
11-29-08, 17:41
I just took my buddy to the gun show and shooting today. He having another kid and his wife is warming up to the idea of guns in the house.

I showed him Glocks, XD'd and Mp's and explained the small differences between them. I tried to get him on the Sig coolaid since he will be keeping the pistol at home, but they were out of his price range.

Then i let him put 100 thru my Mp9(and AR 1st timer!). He liked it, but i told him not to rule out Glocks or Xd's. Ive shot a G17.Dosent feel just like my MP, but its a Glock. It works and i wouldnt cry if given one!

My MP has been perfect.1800 thru it and no mulfuctions. I put some Bowie Tac nights on it.

I fondled a Smith MP jframe 357 with lazergrips today at the show. Man,thats a sweet backup gun.

HK45
11-30-08, 20:53
You can buy an M&P for $399 as LEO or retired military and Glocks, depending on model, for about the same. I prefer the M&P full size in .45 myself. The Glock 19 grip leaves my pinkie finger dangling and I would rather expend the effort to find a good holster for a full size pistol than carry one whose grip is too short. Then again I'm a big guy which makes it easier. You can order the M&P from Buds Police Supply among other places.

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/4_8

Thanks for all of your responses.

Blake: Thanks for the info you provided. It is a M&P vs. Glock because I like the M&P more, but I'm trying to decide between the two because of the issues that I listed; especially the price. I can't buy an M&P through my department and it would cost much more than the Glock. I am asking if the benefits of the M&P outway the cost difference and parts availability of the Glock. I have been reading on here, but with a newborn son; I haven't had the time to stay on here, much less go shoot. I am trying to make a decision before Jan. If you know of some specific threads; I'll be happy to read them. The "search function is your friend" replies don't really help that much. Many on here have much more experience than I, and I am trying to tap into that to make a quick and wise decision. (and by the way, no offense meant)

DM-SC: Thanks, I'll have to check those sights out. 10-4 on the no "c" model.

givo08: Wow! That's a lot of pros for the M&P. I'm gonna have to shoot them both side by side. As far as the "trigger" digging into your finger; are you refering to the trigger guard rubbing your middle finger raw? If so, I know what you mean.

williejc
11-30-08, 22:14
In my G19, the 33 rd mags work flawlessly. Everybody needs some. When I go on a woods outing with the G19, I have one stuck in my pants somewhere, although a regular mag is in the pistol.

diverge
12-02-08, 07:29
Dsmguy7, have you considered buying a G23? You could use the same mags from your G22. Any extra G22 mags you have in your car or stashed around the house could also be used for the G22 if SHTF.

I owned an M&P9 fullsize. The problem is that they don't make a compact model equivalent to the Glock compact. The M&P compact is equivalent to the Glock subcompact. I had owned a G27 and didn't like it. Many will use an extension to get another finger on the grip. I figured if your going to do that might as well go up to the compact.

I am using Ameriglo Operator Pro sights. It has a three dot tritium. Green front and yellow rear. The front sight has a white circle but rear sight is black. The rear is wider so there is more light between the front and rear in the sight picture. I've owned and prefer these over the meprolight and trijicon NS.

Deputy91
12-02-08, 07:47
The 27 is one of the few Glocks that I did not like shooting either. It just felt 'wrong' the mag extension pinched my hand and dug into my finger. It was odd, but I ended up thinign more aobut that than shooting so it was a not good for me. My friend with smaller hands loved it. Shoot them both and then decide!

-Mike.

-Mike.

Beat Trash
12-06-08, 19:08
Check around, Smith & Wesson has an "Individual Officer Purchase Program". This usually brings the price of a M&P down to very close to the individual officer price of a Glock, both of which are much cheaper than you could buy as a private citizen.

dsmguy7
12-10-08, 22:33

Alaskapopo
12-10-08, 22:53
Sorry guys. I was in the hospital all last week with my wife having kidney stone surgery. Between work and no sleep with her and a 2 mo. old; I have not had much time to get on here. 10-4 on all the advice.

Diverge, I want a Glock 17 or 19 because it is the most dependable platform. Supposedly any calibers except 9 mm in the Glocks have had issues.
Get well soon.
Pat

3CTactical
12-11-08, 09:35
First of all, best wishes to your wife!

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've got three Glock 27s. One I've had for 13 years and carry IWB for probably 250 days out of the year. I have shot many thousands of rounds out of this gun with only two malfunctions that I can remember, that happened within the first 500 rounds. i did have to replace one of the locking block pins recently as I found it was broken after a detailed dissassembly of the pistol, but I have no idea how long it was broken and it never affected the operation of the gun. The other two Glocks are newer and have only had a few hundred rounds put through each of them, but there have been no malfunctions yet. I've had a chance to handle the compact M&P and it felt quite nice in the hand, but i haven't had a chance to shoot one yet and I'm not even sure I want to shoot one because then I'll have to buy one and magazines etc., etc. :D I'm already pretty invested in the Glock system with magazines, and spare parts and don't really see a practical need to switch over to the M&Ps at this point.

dsmguy7
12-14-08, 12:26