PDA

View Full Version : Optics

Jev
05-22-20, 20:16
New to the group what red dot mid price for my BCM AR? Mostly shooting 150-200 yards no desire for longer at this time and some varmint hunting. Sorry if the question has been beat to death.

titsonritz
05-22-20, 20:19
New to the group what red dot mid price for my BCM AR? Mostly shooting 150-200 yards no desire for longer at this time and some varmint hunting. Sorry if the question has been beat to death.

Tons of threads in the "Optics & Mounts" forum a little further down.

TomMcC
05-22-20, 20:26

Optics forum...but...what would you consider a mid price, price? Most of what I consider mid-price would be made in China ($200-300).

Five_Point_Five_Six
05-22-20, 21:41

Without knowing your definition of mid price, I'll offer a suggestion based on mine which is an Aimpoint Pro for around $450. If you can afford a little more, you can get an Aimpoint micro H1/T1. If $450 is too steep, you can often find used Aimpoint Pro's and CompM2's for around $275-350.

Mr McSimon
05-22-20, 22:51
I'm a big fan of Sig red dots behind Aimpoint. The Romeo5 is an excellent deal imho and can sometimes be found for $99. They also have other options and reticles at all price points.

https://www.primaryarms.com/sig-sauer-romeo-5-red-dot-sight-1x20mm-2-moa-ar-mount

05-23-20, 06:30
+1, lightly used Aimpoint PRO.

Without knowing your definition of mid price, I'll offer a suggestion based on mine which is an Aimpoint Pro for around $450. If you can afford a little more, you can get an Aimpoint micro H1/T1. If $450 is too steep, you can often find used Aimpoint Pro's and CompM2's for around $275-350.

Circle_10
05-23-20, 08:00
Aimpoint PRO. If you want to go cheaper than that there is the Aimpoint Carbine Optic that are slightly less expensive (assuming they are still in production). If you want to go cheaper than that you are getting into the Chicom stuff, of those options Primary Arms or Holoson would probably be what I’d pick, although that is based on reputation rather than first hand experience, as I personally went the Aimpoint route.

Grim.Patriot
05-23-20, 09:38
If you believe your life may depend on it.....go with an Aimpoint product. No, they are not a cheap Chinese product, but they are tough and reliable. I’d your not using night vision the H1 or H2 are great lightweight options. The PRO is also a viable option. In my experience, Trijicon also make excellent Red Dot aiming devices. Also, investing in a magnifier for zeroing in, or range days off the bench, is worthwhile.

26 Inf
05-23-20, 11:54
For your stated purpose, 150 to 200 yards and some hunting, have you considered a low powered variable optic (LPVO) there are a lot of them out there in that 'medium' price range in which you are you are looking.

Here's an article: https://www.burrisoptics.com/blog/scopes/what-to-look-for-in-an-lpvo

Several jump to mind in that range, I have both - Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 1.5-4 (I have this on my .22 service rifle trainer) and the Burris MTAC 1-4 (range AR).

You will have to get a mount/rings in addition to the scope, although I believe there are packages available.

Uni-Vibe
05-23-20, 12:53
Just throw a $139 Romeo 5 on there. I put one on my HD carbine; couldn't be happier.

Corse
05-24-20, 09:53
The Romeo 4 (one of the cheaper models, as there are several) was on sale for $199. It gives you the choice of the Eotech style reticle.

The_War_Wagon
05-24-20, 13:17
If you have ANY astigmatism at all, a) it will get WORSE with time, and b) you want the smallest dot possible - 2moa, at present.

Aimpoint, for close up work. Or if you're serious about the hunting, maybe a Vortex LPVO 1x4.

wetidlerjr
05-24-20, 14:26
Go here: https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?13-Optics-amp-Mounts (https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?13-Optics-amp-Mounts)

TonyAngel
05-24-20, 16:47
I have a 10.5" that I recently built and it's become my goto AR. I really like the short setup. I don't do any long range shooting with ARs. Usually maybe out to 200. I have two optics that I switch back and forth between. A Romeo4T and a Viper PST 1-4X.

I really like the Romeo4T. It's built like a "good" red dot should be. 7075 T6 and very robust. The reticle options are also nice too. The Circle dot is really good for up close. I opted to go with the Romeo instead of an Aimpoint mostly because of the reticle, and the fact that it cost a couple hundred less didn't hurt either.

I also like the PST. My times with the PST and just as fast as they are with the Romeo when shooting up close. Still, I can see the Romeo being an advantage because it's just plain smaller and lighter. Over all, the AR is just more handy with the Romeo on it. Of course, the PST has the advantage when you're shooting at smaller targets or reaching out a bit. If I could only have one, I really don't know which one I'd go with for sure, although I think I'd lean toward the LPVO because it better suits a general purpose gun.