PDA

View Full Version : HK Mark 23 SOCOM

High Tower
11-25-08, 10:23
I am thinking about buying an HK Mk 23 just because.

Some people think I am crazy and others think it would be a great gun to have.

Do any of you all have experience with these and could tell me the pros and cons?

My wife has approved the purchase and our HK rep says they have some in stock, so what do you guys think?

decodeddiesel
11-25-08, 11:28
There are a lot better .45 options out there at the price point of the Mk. 23. I found it to be too big and clunky for what it is.

Federale
11-25-08, 11:39
The only reason I'd suggest getting the Mk23 is "just because." Other than that, there are many better options out there, especially for that money.

I have a HK Expert .45 "just because" and my Glock 21 shoots more accurately and quickly than the Expert.

High Tower
11-25-08, 11:45
The price is a bit less than normal since i'd buy it under the employee purchase program, but I know what you are saying about better options....I am picking up a Nighthawk Vickers this Thursday....ordered it in February and it is finally done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rumor is that they stopped making the Mk23 so I figured if I wanted one, I better get it now.

High Tower
11-25-08, 12:47
does anyone know if SpecOps guys actually use these or is that one of those issued pieces of gear that gets stowed in the bottom of the locker to be turned in when leaving the unit?

Renegade
11-25-08, 14:01
Had one and sold it 2 years ago. Have not had the urge to buy it. Still have my HK/Tac, which I run with my Knights Can. Unless you are buying it for collector value (not to shoot), I would suggest getting in some trigger time to see if you like it.

IrishDevil
11-25-08, 18:17
I was thinking about buying one after I got my .45 suppressor. Was able to run 500 rds in a friend's and while I really liked it, decided not to buy. With a can on, it's awkward. I can see it being worthwhile if you're a collector, or in want of a "toy". I prefer the USP Tactical, my #1 choice is my HK45C with threaded barrel.

ThirdWatcher
11-25-08, 18:37
High Tower, if you think you'll ever want a Mark 23, buy one. I did and I really like mine. Just be sure to stock up on magazines.:D

No.6
11-25-08, 20:03
Had one and loved the accuracy and reliability.
Built like a tank and about the same size! Matter of fact I sold it just last week along with a KAC OHG suppressor. BTW, if you want a suppressor, be aware that HK will honor the lifetime warranty of the Mk23 only with the Knight's suppressor, no other manufacturer's.
Reason I sold it is the same reason I've sold every other DA/SA poly pistol. I'm going back (yet again!) to the venerable 1911. I just don't seem to get on with the triggers on the DA pistols and I can't seem to find a trigger system that is any better (for me at least, YMMV) suited to the shooting that I do.

ThirdWatcher
11-26-08, 01:35
Yeah, I carry a 1911 (NHC 10-8) on duty, too but my Mark 23 is just plain fun to shoot (and I don't personally know anyone else that has one). I also have an H&K USP-45F, which is a much more efficient package than the Mark 23 but not nearly as cool.

I had the feeling High Tower was thinking about buying one for the same reason I did, so I say "go for it!" Mags are way overpriced and you'll never find an ankle holster for it, but it IS fun to shoot.

As for 1911's, I started my LE career carrying a 1911 (Army MP) and as I near the end of my LE career, I've come full circle by carrying a NHC 10-8. Most 1911's are all steel, have a trigger pull unmatched by any other pistol, and they are easy to carry on and off duty.:)

HK45
11-27-08, 12:52
It's a pistol with no useful purpose. Which is why it has been gathering dust in armories in Coronado, Bragg, etc. if you want an HK in .45 buy the HK .45.

VooDoo6Actual
11-27-08, 13:35
There are FAR better weapons and weapon systems that fit MOST people's anatomical structure and stature..

If it is a GEE WIZ factor that's fine, there are FAR better weapons to use that work better, are LIGHTER and can go for those RARE moments offensive.

IMO

High Tower
12-01-08, 23:23
Well, I ended up getting a Mk 23. Not the new one like I was figuring on through the employee purchase thing, but even better. A customer came in looking to sell a TAN Mk23. We settled on a price and I am now the proud owner.

The tan ones are fairly rare - blue book says they were only made in 2005 although the letter codes dictate that it was made in 2004. Even so, not many around.

It shot great! Our smith tried her out and shot the bullseye out. Granted, its not the best gun in the world, but it sure is fun and unique which is what I was looking for.

Savior 6
12-01-08, 23:37
High Tower, good job on the deal. It's good that you got what you wanted. I knew that I had to have one and it was my first HK pistol. I have manny more "practical" pistols, but would never have been happy without owning one.

30 cal slut
12-03-08, 07:06
i've had one for some time now, and it's largely a safe queen. i bought it as a collectible item and mated it with a can.

the mk23 for me is an occasional "fun gun" for those times when you want to take a break from serious training on your primary and secondary blasters.

as a self-defense tool, i'm sure it's more than adequate ... but ...

1) the thing is huge
2) it's got a looooooooong trigger pull

for what it is, it is very accurate (it should be, the thing is so huge).

an interesting thing i learned from one of our froggy friends here is that the Mk23 can be safely and reliably fired ... submerged. which just might come in handy if you're chillin in yer hot tub, and the zombies pay you a visit.

p.s. if anyone can explain to me what an "offensive pistol" is ... please let me know. :)

DrMark
12-03-08, 07:25
if anyone can explain to me what an "offensive pistol" is ... please let me know. :)

I've always found the gold-plated, tiger-stripe Desert Eagle to be rather offensive!

;)

Rana
12-03-08, 07:44
It's a pistol with no useful purpose. Which is why it has been gathering dust in armories in Coronado, Bragg, etc. if you want an HK in .45 buy the HK .45.

Most of them (MK23's) aren't even in anyones armory. With the exception of a group that spends a lot of time sub-surface; I can't think of ANYONE who still has it.

I remember when they were collected up to be shipped back to CRANE. I did not realize what a big deal it was until I had to start buying my own .45:eek:

Most leadership see's no need for a .45 pistol.

9MM and to a very small extent .40cal are the pistol calibers in use.

Limited Marine Corps Units and some Army SF groups still have their 1911's in .45. I think its days are numbered in the Army Units, but the leadership within the Corps still see the value in a .45ACP and the 1911.

VooDoo6Actual
12-03-08, 07:47
I was not aware that perimeter/sentry removal tactics were considered defensive.

Thanks for the education.