PDA

View Full Version : Razor Gen 3...

overlookh
05-25-20, 13:45
I saw the last gen III 1-10x24.

Do you think that in few weeks we have to expect the complete renew of the razor series?
I am interested to buy the gen II 4-27x56.
Should I expect a while?

Bye

ggammell
05-25-20, 15:59
No. They released that model this year and the -e models were only a year or so ago. Aside from a -e style weight reduction, I don’t know what they could do with that or the 3-15/18 scopes. Reticles and glass are good so nothing to update there. I’d say 2021 at the earliest for anything new.

Hammer_Man
05-25-20, 19:29
If it's the scope you want, with the reticle you want, just buy it. There are plenty of options out there if it isn't.

Wake27
05-25-20, 20:23
No. They released that model this year and the -e models were only a year or so ago. Aside from a -e style weight reduction, I don’t know what they could do with that or the 3-15/18 scopes. Reticles and glass are good so nothing to update there. I’d say 2021 at the earliest for anything new.

I bought my -E in OCT of 2018 so they've been out closer to two years. The Vipers were revamped quite a bit in the last year or two and the Strike Eagles were just updated so I've also been wondering if all of the Vortex offerings are getting an update. Even the Crossfire RDS got some new capabilities.

overlookh
05-26-20, 04:12
Many thanks for the reply.

Due my pour english language can you explain to me what do you mean with "-E" option?

I can't find any explanation in

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razor-hd-gen-2-45-27x56-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=21

Thanks again.

ggammell
05-26-20, 05:40
Many thanks for the reply.

Due my pour english language can you explain to me what do you mean with "-E" option?

I can't find any explanation in

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razor-hd-gen-2-45-27x56-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=21

Thanks again.

Referring to the evolution to the 1-6 HD Gen 2 to HD-E Gen 2. Same scope but significantly lighter.

RKB Armory
05-26-20, 08:41
This situation is a good example of why I appreciate it when companies keep their discontinued products listed on their websites. It's nice being able to look up not just current products, but also older products. We buy and sell used optics, so this situation arises fairly often.

arken
05-26-20, 14:53
Referring to the evolution to the 1-6 HD Gen 2 to HD-E Gen 2. Same scope but significantly lighter.

Sorry if I hijack the thread. How did they make the E lighter while retaining all the features/capabilities/ruggedness? Why didn't they do that from the start? Thanks.

ggammell
05-26-20, 14:55
Sorry if I hijack the thread. How did they make the E lighter while retaining all the features/capabilities/ruggedness? Why didn't they do that from the start? Thanks.

I can’t say specifically but generally it was overbuilt one the first place. Like a lot. Scale some of that back a little while still maintaining a great durability standard and you get the -E.

MaxTheCat
06-05-20, 08:50

I believe it was using aluminum in the turret housing construction vs brass on the original, which saved ~4oz.

VortexOptics
06-05-20, 09:47
I saw the last gen III 1-10x24.

Do you think that in few weeks we have to expect the complete renew of the razor series?
I am interested to buy the gen II 4-27x56.
Should I expect a while?

Bye

Nothing in the immediate future. If you look at the Gen II's, it was the same thing. LPVO first, then a while later the high mag variants came.

LPVO's and high mag scopes are completely 100% different beasts. To make them at that high of a level requires two completely different development efforts and timelines, so we focus all our efforts on them separately.

VortexOptics
06-05-20, 09:49

Mostly switching of materials in certain spots from heavier, but easier to machine, brass to lighter aluminum. Remains just as strong - if not stronger (Less inertia to hit the ground and eff stuff up) but lighter.

This wasn't done immediately from the start because back in 2012 when the Gen II 1-6x Razor came out we couldn't achieve consistent and precise machining on those parts out of aluminum like we can now.

Trihonda
06-05-20, 10:38
We’ve had the Razor AMG optics at work, and many are unhappy with them. Theyre heavy and eat batteries like crazy.. I change batteries, do a quarterly in service, then do t touch the optics (on/off switch) for 3 months, get to my next quartet I service, batteries are dead... these are the large lithium ion batteries too..

I just purchased an AR pistol and picked up the Vortex Razor reticle? Which is super slim and promises to eat less batteries. We will see. Vortex is a local company, to us, and we have even done training at their HQ (nice state of the art facility), but those damn big AMG optics...ugh.

VortexOptics
06-05-20, 16:25
We’ve had the Razor AMG optics at work, and many are unhappy with them. Theyre heavy and eat batteries like crazy.. I change batteries, do a quarterly in service, then do t touch the optics (on/off switch) for 3 months, get to my next quartet I service, batteries are dead... these are the large lithium ion batteries too..

I just purchased an AR pistol and picked up the Vortex Razor reticle? Which is super slim and promises to eat less batteries. We will see. Vortex is a local company, to us, and we have even done training at their HQ (nice state of the art facility), but those damn big AMG optics...ugh.

What did you guys switch from when you went to AMG's? (Which, by the way, "AMG" is the name of a special division of multiple products in our line - it's not one specific product - you must be talking about the UH-1? Edit - just saw the picture load - yep! It's a UH-1) They're actually no heavier than the comparable "Other" holographic sights out there on the market. Within a few tenths of an ounce as a matter of fact.

The battery eating thing sounds odd. Have you talked to us about it? 3 months should be no big deal. Our showroom models are on all the time and people rarely remember to turn them off and they don't even seem to eat batteries that quick. Even if they do - there's a battery life indicator built into the sight that blinks the reticle once it's starting to get low when you first turn it on.

As for the new sight - The Razor red dot is totally different and will have better battery life. All red dots will have better battery life than a holographic sight because they power a highly efficient LED instead of the laser which is necessary for a holographic system. The UH-1 has more than double the amount of battery life "Other" holographic sights had for about two decades and which were used in Mil/LE applications all along.

If you have any questions, definitely give us a call!

Trihonda
06-05-20, 17:20
What did you guys switch from when you went to AMG's? (Which, by the way, "AMG" is the name of a special division of multiple products in our line - it's not one specific product - you must be talking about the UH-1? Edit - just saw the picture load - yep! It's a UH-1) They're actually no heavier than the comparable "Other" holographic sights out there on the market. Within a few tenths of an ounce as a matter of fact.

The battery eating thing sounds odd. Have you talked to us about it? 3 months should be no big deal. Our showroom models are on all the time and people rarely remember to turn them off and they don't even seem to eat batteries that quick. Even if they do - there's a battery life indicator built into the sight that blinks the reticle once it's starting to get low when you first turn it on.

As for the new sight - The Razor red dot is totally different and will have better battery life. All red dots will have better battery life than a holographic sight because they power a highly efficient LED instead of the laser which is necessary for a holographic system. The UH-1 has more than double the amount of battery life "Other" holographic sights had for about two decades and which were used in Mil/LE applications all along.

If you have any questions, definitely give us a call!

Hey, great to hear from Vortex here. Please don't take my comments as official department stance. It's just a number of us have seen weird battery issues. Not sure why, but I don't leave my optics on EVER, and really only turn them on to shoot inservice. There was some recommendation at first that we turn them on at the start of each shift, then off again at the end, but most never do that. Is having them 100% off somehow draining the batt more? Because each inservice I need new batteries, without ANY use. I'm not alone. We were initially told you could really leave the unit on and it would last 50,000 hours... ha, I figured that was our training staff blowing smoke, but we at least expected them to last longer than 3 months (being off).

As for the previous optics, I really don't know what it was. I wasn't a huge AR freak, really. Despite owning a couple, I just use what they give us at work, rifles, optics, furniture, etc.. I'm not quick to pull out my AR on calls, but I'm very competent with my handgun, and the rifles aren't a concept I started out with. Now that I think about it, from what I can recall, we had iron sights for the most part, with the occasional car outfitted with a scoped rifle. So your UH1's probably arent heavier than the norm, but I think my norm before was the irons sights, so they felt heavier... :)

In a different post, I was raving about your state of the art facilities (we came out and did training there a bit ago). Very nice, hope we get to come back out.

I really love my Vortex red dot! It's amazing on my new BCM MCMR 11.5.

Cheers!

dakotalawdog
06-05-20, 18:11
Hey, great to hear from Vortex here. Please don't take my comments as official department stance. It's just a number of us have seen weird battery issues. Not sure why, but I don't leave my optics on EVER, and really only turn them on to shoot inservice. There was some recommendation at first that we turn them on at the start of each shift, then off again at the end, but most never do that. Is having them 100% off somehow draining the batt more? Because each inservice I need new batteries, without ANY use. I'm not alone. We were initially told you could really leave the unit on and it would last 50,000 hours... ha, I figured that was our training staff blowing smoke, but we at least expected them to last longer than 3 months (being off).

As for the previous optics, I really don't know what it was. I wasn't a huge AR freak, really. Despite owning a couple, I just use what they give us at work, rifles, optics, furniture, etc.. I'm not quick to pull out my AR on calls, but I'm very competent with my handgun, and the rifles aren't a concept I started out with. Now that I think about it, from what I can recall, we had iron sights for the most part, with the occasional car outfitted with a scoped rifle. So your UH1's probably arent heavier than the norm, but I think my norm before was the irons sights, so they felt heavier... :)

In a different post, I was raving about your state of the art facilities (we came out and did training there a bit ago). Very nice, hope we get to come back out.

I really love my Vortex red dot! It's amazing on my new BCM MCMR 11.5.

Cheers!

"There was some recommendation at first that we turn them on at the start of each shift, then off again at the end, but most never do that."

Adrian here... Your rifle and optic is a piece of mission critical equipment. Do people do a press check on their pistol at the beginning of every shift? Check squad lights? Check body camera? Check the oil on your squad? (ok yeah none of us do that) but you MUST check your firearms guys.... leaving it sit for three months without checking it... I don't know how else to say it, but that's not a good idea. The optic selection is irrelevant, it needs to be checked at the beginning of every shift on the street.

If you work inside - I get it. You're not going to check it everyday. Then try to check it weekly, or at LEAST once a month. Set a reminder on your calendar or phone. You should probably be adding some lube sometime within those three months too.

Most electronics draw current when off. I'm not sure if the AMGs do, I'm not an engineer. I can look into it. It could also be batteries. What batteries are you using? I've seen agencies buy low-bid CR123s to save a few bucks which crap out really fast.

My recommendation for patrol guys running the UH-1 (or actually Razor 1-6s or anything else that doesn't have a battery life measured in years):
Check it at the beginning of your shift, then shut it off. You could leave it on all shift if you really want, but you'll eat through a battery in less than a month. Even if you have an optic that runs 50,000 hours, you still need to check it at the beginning of your shift to make sure it works. I'd check my weapon light too, ensure my mag is inserted, chamber is empty and the rifle is good to go. That's a basic pre-shift inspection that takes ten seconds.

If you keep the optic shut off like I recommend for the UH-1 on patrol, then just make turning on your optic part of your deployment proceedure. You need to check the brightness of your optic anyways, even if it's already on, right? Lighting conditions change throughout a shift. So deploy the rifle, push pull on your mag, chamber a round, presscheck, tap the FA, adjust your stock, adjust your optic, sling up and you're good to go. Every time you use the rifle, it takes five seconds and you should be doing it the same way every single time.

That's my advice. If you want to chat with me more about it you can always email me aalan@vortexoptics.com - but this is an operator issue, and you guys need to train your officers to do it right - the optic you run is really irrelevant to the process.

arken
06-05-20, 20:53
I can’t say specifically but generally it was overbuilt one the first place. Like a lot. Scale some of that back a little while still maintaining a great durability standard and you get the -E.

I believe it was using aluminum in the turret housing construction vs brass on the original, which saved ~4oz.

Mostly switching of materials in certain spots from heavier, but easier to machine, brass to lighter aluminum. Remains just as strong - if not stronger (Less inertia to hit the ground and eff stuff up) but lighter.

This wasn't done immediately from the start because back in 2012 when the Gen II 1-6x Razor came out we couldn't achieve consistent and precise machining on those parts out of aluminum like we can now.

Thank you guys for the responses.

PS: It's great to have a Vortex rep on here!

VortexOptics
06-08-20, 08:50
"There was some recommendation at first that we turn them on at the start of each shift, then off again at the end, but most never do that."

Adrian here... Your rifle and optic is a piece of mission critical equipment. Do people do a press check on their pistol at the beginning of every shift? Check squad lights? Check body camera? Check the oil on your squad? (ok yeah none of us do that) but you MUST check your firearms guys.... leaving it sit for three months without checking it... I don't know how else to say it, but that's not a good idea. The optic selection is irrelevant, it needs to be checked at the beginning of every shift on the street.

If you work inside - I get it. You're not going to check it everyday. Then try to check it weekly, or at LEAST once a month. Set a reminder on your calendar or phone. You should probably be adding some lube sometime within those three months too.

Most electronics draw current when off. I'm not sure if the AMGs do, I'm not an engineer. I can look into it. It could also be batteries. What batteries are you using? I've seen agencies buy low-bid CR123s to save a few bucks which crap out really fast.

My recommendation for patrol guys running the UH-1 (or actually Razor 1-6s or anything else that doesn't have a battery life measured in years):
Check it at the beginning of your shift, then shut it off. You could leave it on all shift if you really want, but you'll eat through a battery in less than a month. Even if you have an optic that runs 50,000 hours, you still need to check it at the beginning of your shift to make sure it works. I'd check my weapon light too, ensure my mag is inserted, chamber is empty and the rifle is good to go. That's a basic pre-shift inspection that takes ten seconds.

If you keep the optic shut off like I recommend for the UH-1 on patrol, then just make turning on your optic part of your deployment proceedure. You need to check the brightness of your optic anyways, even if it's already on, right? Lighting conditions change throughout a shift. So deploy the rifle, push pull on your mag, chamber a round, presscheck, tap the FA, adjust your stock, adjust your optic, sling up and you're good to go. Every time you use the rifle, it takes five seconds and you should be doing it the same way every single time.

That's my advice. If you want to chat with me more about it you can always email me aalan@vortexoptics.com - but this is an operator issue, and you guys need to train your officers to do it right - the optic you run is really irrelevant to the process.

To add some context to Adrian's message here - the UH-1 and any other optic on the market that utilizes digital button controls or "Auto" controls for turning on/off or adjusting brightness will draw from the battery even when turned off. The sight needs to be constantly sensing itself so it knows when you press a button to turn it on. The only time this isn't the case is with optics with a rotary dial switch which is a "Dumb" switch and is fully "Off" when "Off" and then on when flicked to the on position.

All this said, even a stored battery which is not having any current drawn at all can still wear down over time. Temperature and the natural chemistry of batteries can cause them to die more quickly (Or more slowly - see "Storing batteries in the fridge") - Cheap-o batteries are especially vulnerable.

Lastly - the UH-1 is not a "50,000 hour battery life" sight. That would be a red dot using a highly efficient LED for its illumination source. The UH-1 is a holographic sight using a laser for it's illumination source. Lasers are inherently much more "Hungry" and will eat through batteries more quickly. The rated battery life for the UH-1 is 1,500-1,800 hours on the middle setting (Can depend based on batteries, temperature, etc). This is actually highly efficient for a laser.

ST911
06-08-20, 11:15
Thank you to dakotalawdog and VortexOptics for participating in this thread and providing excellent information to our community.

Wake27
06-08-20, 21:01
Shot a rifle class on Saturday with my Gen III. I had some issues when I first got it because the diopter adjustment was far more sensitive to my eye, but I think I got it dialed in and it performed very well. I’m super happy with it. Thanks to the vortex rep on here for helping me with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vicious_cb
06-09-20, 01:27
You running it with an offset RDS? Looking for opinions to see if adding on a badger j-arm with a micro red dot would be worth it.

Wake27
06-09-20, 05:39
You running it with an offset RDS? Looking for opinions to see if adding on a badger j-arm with a micro red dot would be worth it.

That’s exactly what I’m running. I had a vortex crossfire paired with my 1-6 Razor but figured I’d try one of the Holosuns with this one. I like it quite a bit but as soon as Badger releases the ring replacement to mount it on top, I’m going to try that. The offset RDS obviously adds a good amount of bulk to the gun and it’s only usable with my right hand. I’m hoping the top mounted RDS will be a better ambi solution that’ll also be easier to store.

vicious_cb
06-09-20, 13:13
That’s exactly what I’m running. I had a vortex crossfire paired with my 1-6 Razor but figured I’d try one of the Holosuns with this one. I like it quite a bit but as soon as Badger releases the ring replacement to mount it on top, I’m going to try that. The offset RDS obviously adds a good amount of bulk to the gun and it’s only usable with my right hand. I’m hoping the top mounted RDS will be a better ambi solution that’ll also be easier to store.

Didnt know they were coming out with the top mount. This is going to make alot of people with NODs happy.

RHINOWSO
06-09-20, 14:14
Glad to hear positive reports about the Razor III coming out.

I may take the plunge in the fall after the craze dies down and more people have time behind them. Plus in the fall I'll actually be able to enjoy shooting it (heat / humidity here in the summer).

Not sure what I'll put it on yet, as I'm happy with the NX8 on my two 16" AR15s and my CM762 is setup for more of a precision shooter with an NXS 2.5-10x42. Maybe on the SCAR 17, or maybe I'll just find a cheap Razor II for that.

Wake27
06-09-20, 20:45
Glad to hear positive reports about the Razor III coming out.

I may take the plunge in the fall after the craze dies down and more people have time behind them. Plus in the fall I'll actually be able to enjoy shooting it (heat / humidity here in the summer).

Not sure what I'll put it on yet, as I'm happy with the NX8 on my two 16" AR15s and my CM762 is setup for more of a precision shooter with an NXS 2.5-10x42. Maybe on the SCAR 17, or maybe I'll just find a cheap Razor II for that.

I go back and forth on which gun to put it on. Right now it’s on a 12.5 hodge as that’s now my primary so it makes sense as a very capable optic. But I need to shoot groups and find a chrono to compare it against my 14.5 KAC Mod 2 because that could be equally deserving, if not moreso.

Torquetard
06-15-20, 17:44
On max zoom and 8x, how is the eyebox on this compared to the AccuPower 1-8? Got to look through a Vortex and it was mounted on a weird setup so it was hard to tell, but it still seemed like the AccuPower had the better eyebox for me.

kukworld
06-15-20, 18:09
I go back and forth on which gun to put it on. Right now it’s on a 12.5 hodge as that’s now my primary so it makes sense as a very capable optic. But I need to shoot groups and find a chrono to compare it against my 14.5 KAC Mod 2 because that could be equally deserving, if not moreso.

I really wanna find out from you regarding the 14.5 mod 2 vs Hodges 12.4

I do have a RG3 still on 14.5 mod 2. Gotta said I’m not the biggest fan for such set up

Zane1844
06-16-20, 10:38
On max zoom and 8x, how is the eyebox on this compared to the AccuPower 1-8? Got to look through a Vortex and it was mounted on a weird setup so it was hard to tell, but it still seemed like the AccuPower had the better eyebox for me.

It's a little tight on 10x. Not terrible though, plus you can dial it back to 8x. I haven't done a lot of testing with it yet, but this weekend I should.

The only downside I'm seeing is that the translucent reticle doesn't work well for me. When shooting groups it nearly vanishes, to the point that I use the illumination to see it.

That has only been an issue shooting paper, when on steel it works great. I also have been using NRA targets with black centers, and Shoot-NC.

PoppaN
06-22-20, 15:22
Hey guys, I'm looking at this scope now. For the guys that have their 1-6s, how often did you want the 10x or found the 1-6 reticle too simple?

bp7178
06-22-20, 15:33
It's a little tight on 10x. Not terrible though, plus you can dial it back to 8x. I haven't done a lot of testing with it yet, but this weekend I should.

The only downside I'm seeing is that the translucent reticle doesn't work well for me. When shooting groups it nearly vanishes, to the point that I use the illumination to see it.

That has only been an issue shooting paper, when on steel it works great. I also have been using NRA targets with black centers, and Shoot-NC.

Couldn't you just adjust your zero so you hold on the lines?

Zane1844
06-22-20, 16:08
Couldn't you just adjust your zero so you hold on the lines?

I could, but I have BDC model. I zero 2MOA high at 100yds since that seemed best on Sterlok. It's overall not terrible, just something I wasn't expecting.

graffex
06-23-20, 08:16
Anyone know if Vortex is having significant delays getting these out? I bought mine like 2 weeks before the covid non-sense and being told now its another 90 days backordered as of June 1st.... I can't wait to get my mitts on mine lol

ggammell
06-23-20, 08:48
There was significant demand and most manufacturing is a batch process. Likely waiting on the actual manufacturer. They’re shipping in stock items with in 24 hours.

Wake27
06-23-20, 09:17
I haven’t seen any in stock since the initial push. Otherwise I may have swapped mine for an MRAD version.

VIP3R 237
06-23-20, 09:37
Anyone know if Vortex is having significant delays getting these out? I bought mine like 2 weeks before the covid non-sense and being told now its another 90 days backordered as of June 1st.... I can't wait to get my mitts on mine lol

I called Vortex about 10 days ago and said it’s a 6 to 9 months wait from initial order

RHINOWSO
06-23-20, 09:55
Anyone who can't understand that the Covid19 drama has impacted materials, manufacturing, production, shipping, and delivery of products across the spectrum needs to lean forward and choke themselves for utter stupidity.

VortexOptics
06-26-20, 15:35

Yes, there are backorders. If you order through us directly (Like Mil/LE program) or if you order through a dealer and they place an order with us immediately upon your order, it will be about that 6-9 month wait time. If you go to a dealer that has already had a bunch of orders in for quite some time and get in on their wait list, it's highly possible/likely your wait won't be as long because that dealer has already started doing some of the waiting for you on the front end. AAOptics, EutoOptic, Kenzies, SWFA, MidwayUSA, etc all operate this way to name a few examples.