PDA

View Full Version : AR wannabe seeking advice

faithmyeyes
11-25-08, 11:20
Hello,

This will be my first post to what seems to be an excellent forum. Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and experience, and especially to those who have gone out of their way in the Knowledge Base threads to make some of the arcane details understandable to newcomers. Perhaps some of you would be willing to offer me a little bit of personalized advice here.

I'm primarily a pistol shooter (for now) whose interest in ARs has recently been stimulated by pistol instructors who are proficient in both weapon systems. So I'm in that place where I'm considering a "first AR." I'm pure civilian, but I would anticipate using this rifle for just about everything... hunting, defense, training, recreational competition.

I've done a little bit of researching and asking around locally, and I've been laughed at more than I've gotten useful information. The only thing anyone has in stock seems to be sub-standard rifles in odd configurations, and I get why that is. I realize that the AR market is in panic mode over the uncertainty of what policies Mr. Obama and a Democratic Congress may choose to pursue next year. Oops, guess I picked the wrong time to get interested in ARs. Given that the market is what it is, what would you advise me to do? I want to buy a relatively basic, complete, high-quality AR, and I'm not in a tremendous hurry. Do any of you know a dealer who offers an ETA, a waiting list, or anything other than a "Ha ha ha. Forget it, man"? Maybe I am truly SOL, but I'm not ready to give up just yet.

Assuming some availability (eventually), I'm in a position where I can pretty much afford whatever I need, but not a bunch of things I don't need or a lot of trial-and-error figuring it out. I think what would make the most sense for me would be something like a standard 16" LMT (http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=186&cid=12) with good iron sights (optics to be added later). I don't feel like I absolutely need a handguard with rails to begin with, but I would like the option of mounting a light at some point... so that's my area of greatest configuration uncertainty. Is a handguard upgrade or forward rail addition easy enough for a novice to do? Is there a good light mount that doesn't require rails?

What would you recommend for iron sights, and what optics are worth looking at for a civilian?

Thanks for your consideration.

in peace
faithmyeyes

Solomon
11-25-08, 11:34
Welcome to the forum!

Assuming you want 5.56 as your caliber, you can't go wrong with a 16" LMT, Noveske, or Colt with a 1:7 twist barrel. Many will tell you to look for a mid-length gas system (LMT or Noveske) rather than a carbine (Colt) in that length, but availability may dictate your choice these days.

If you want to easily add a forward rail that is among the highest rated but doesn't require permanent modification, you can't go wrong with the Daniel Defense Omega (7.0 or 9.0 depending on which gas system you go with).

For iron sights, look at Troy Industries (LaRue re-labels these). For a top-notch optic for that caliber and all of the needs you specify, look at an Aimpoint T-1 on a LaRue mount.

faithmyeyes
11-25-08, 15:22
Assuming you want 5.56 as your caliber, you can't go wrong with a 16" LMT, Noveske, or Colt with a 1:7 twist barrel.
Yes, I'd want 5.56/.223. I want to be able to afford to shoot it, and I've got non-ARs in the .30 caliber class should I want longer reach for something. And I've pretty well got my heart set on an LMT or Noveske at this point, assuming that I'll ever be able to place an order.

The Aimpoint optic looks nice, if a bit pricey. What's the difference between a passive red dot and a holographic (i.e. EOTech)? I've not yet gotten the chance to actually look through either.

Thanks for the pointer to the Daniel Defense rail. I'm glad to know there's a quality upgrade that doesn't require a barrel wrench or the confidence to wield one. :)

jcase64
11-25-08, 15:42
The Aimpoints are very popular on this forum. Guys with far more experience than I say they are totally reliable. There have been some issues with the Eotechs in the past, again according to the experts. Aimpoints have a minimum advertised price. The street price should be about 15-20% lower than whats listed online.

faithmyeyes
11-25-08, 16:28
Yet another question.

Many will tell you to look for a mid-length gas system (LMT or Noveske) rather than a carbine (Colt) in that length

Why? Durability, easier to shoot?

jcase64
11-25-08, 16:54
Yes on both. The longer the gas system, the less violent the bolt/bcg is thrown back into the receiver. Your parts will last longer in and the gun will shoot softer.