PDA

View Full Version : can I change out thumb hole stock?

FLGator
11-25-08, 11:36
Sorry if this has been covered. I didn't find anything with a search.
I have a Maadi RPK that I bought after the AWB with the thumbhole stock. I hardly ever shoot it because I really hate the stock. Can I legally convert to a standard pistol grip and stock?

JB2000
11-28-08, 11:21
I'll preface this by saying it has been a few years since I converted an AK so you should check that the BATFE regs have not changed.

Yes, you can legally convert it. The way the BATFE regs were written, you can have no more than 10 foreign parts in your rifle. A stamped AK with no muzzle device is considered to have 15 parts by BATFE. So you will need to replace at least five parts with US-made parts. The easiest to replace are the stock set (buttstock, handguards, pistol grip) and the fire control group (hammer, trigger, sear). Sometimes people replace the gas piston when they want to retain some other foreign part.

You can find instructions online, but it's pretty straight forward. I find a rubber mallet is handy when removing the handguards to help tap them into place without damaging them.

Good luck.

Dave_M
11-28-08, 14:02
Alright, let's talk about 922r

You're going to need at least 5 US parts (6 if you have a threaded muzzle) to be 922r compliant.

Now, not every part is considered a "part" of the gun (stupid, I know, but it's the government we're talking about) Here is what the BATFE considers a firearm part (AK specific)

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or
stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(4) Muzzle attachments
(5) Bolts
(6) Bolt carriers
(7) Gas pistons
(8) Triggers
(9) Hammers
(10) Disconnectors
(11) Buttstocks
(12) Pistol grips
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Followers
(16) Floorplates

Clarification by the BATF inducates thumbhole stock to be counted as both (11) Buttstock and (12) Pistol grips for administrative purposes at the time of import only.

To make things more confusing, handguards (13) are only a combination of the upper and lower handguard. You can't just replace one or the other and count it as good.

The easiest way to do this is:
-Replace Fire Control Group (3 parts: trigger, hammer, disconnector)
-Pistol grip (1 part)
-Muzzle attachment (1 part, if applicable)
-One piece of the furniture

CAI imports come up the above replaced with the exception of the furniture (buttstock or handguards). Instead they replace the gas piston. While this is an easy mod, I do not suggest it for people new to working on the AK/AKM series. I also suggest against replacing the floorplates and followers on individual magazines--it's a PITA because your gun will be legal with some magazines and not with others.

FWIW, the Maadi RPK is not really an RPK, just a long-barreled AKM dressed up like an RPK. It does not have a true RPK receiver or barrel.

The good news is that the receiver will accept any furniture that fits on standard stamp receivers. Of course, due to a wide variance of tolerances from nation to nation, some fitting may be required. Specifically with the Maadi RPK, some of the front lower handguard may have to be trimmed to fit the lower handguard retainer.

If you want really nice wood (and compliance parts) I suggest going with Ironwood Designs

http://ironwooddesigns.com/