PDA

View Full Version : Scar 16, question

dylank0723
05-28-20, 21:48
If this is the wrong place for this I apologize. But what’s the current feelings on the scar 16? Price not being a factor. Specifically With a 10” barrel suppressed. Looking at this or getting a sr15 cqb. Parts availability isn’t a concern nor is price. Just looking for how the general consensus is on it with regards to performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sid Post
05-28-20, 22:03
I don't have experience with the SCAR-16. People I respect with military experience speak very highly of the KAC 11.5" option. My SCAR-17 is a good rifle but, today I would without question prefer to have a KAC SR-25 in my stable so, I may be a bit biased personally. I own a lot of good rifles but, the KAC SR-15 LPR Mod 2 without a doubt is my favorite! I think I actually like it more than my class 3 rifles, it is that good! :dance3:

wetidlerjr
05-29-20, 05:19
If this is the wrong place for this I apologize...

Yep, wrong place. Go here:https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?7-Other-Semi-Automatic-Rifles

themonk
05-29-20, 07:25
The 16 is not worth the squeeze in my opinion.

The additional cost of the gun, lack of support from FN, inability to get spare parts, insane cost of spare parts when available, FN saying your on your own if you suppress it, the upper being the NFA item vs the lower restricting you to one format vs an AR, issues with the stock and rear screws, you can get better accuracy from most ARs now days, the weight is heavy in comparison to a 10.5 AR or most ARs for that matter, like the 17 you need to drop a decent rail and good trigger costing at least $500, and the overgased nature of the system makes it a hard no for me. I would MUCH rather have a DD MK18.

The 17 is worth the squeeze after a few upgrades because it offers things still not available in the marketplace but AR10s are catching up. I disagree with the previous poster and I think Knights would agree, the SR-25 and the SCAR 17 play different roles. But like the 16 the gun is not ergonomic and really not ideal without a longer front rail like the KDG and a new trigger like the Geissele.

I own a 17 because some gave me one for some work I did for them but I would never buy one. If someone gave me a SCAR 16 I would sell it immediately and absolutely no way would I ever put $200 towards a tax stamp on it. YMMV

Alpha-17
05-29-20, 08:28
I love my 16S as an 10" SBR. That's where the SCAR design really shines in my opinion. I like my 17S, but it's hard to beat just how handy the 16S is as an SBR. Much better than my DD Mk18, as much as I like that set up as well. Besides the 10" barrel (obviously) and a chopped down Midwest Industries rail, I've never felt the need to replace or upgrade anything. Tried out a different buttstock for a while, but I'm back to the Ugg. Trigger is fine; I'm sure others are better, but I never noticed any difference between either SCAR trigger and any of the rack-grade M4s or M4A1s I have experience with. (they're actually much better than the M4A1s were initially, by a considerable margin)

Can't comment on using it suppressed though, as that's not my jam.

Obligatory picture:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49575340382_1ac0726f11_c.jpg

Sid Post
05-29-20, 09:48
The 17 is worth the squeeze after a few upgrades because it offers things still not available in the marketplace but AR10s are catching up. I disagree with the previous poster and I think Knights would agree, the SR-25 and the SCAR 17 play different roles. But like the 16 the gun is not ergonomic and really not ideal without a longer front rail like the KDG and a new trigger like the Geissele.

Different roles? Yes to a degree but, now many years later I think the SCAR 17 was a flavor of the moment and the KAC SR-25 while a somewhat dissimilar rifle would better suit me and what I do with them now. The "Lego" flavor of the SCAR 17 can be good or bad depending on what you want to do with it. Today, I wish I had the 5.56 version of the AAC can but, I can mount the 7.62 version to other rifles. If AAC offered that 'reflex' style can again, I'd be a buyer even under current ownership.

RHINOWSO
05-29-20, 17:45
The SCAR 16 is a great rifle, but it's not for everyone - I bought mine a long time ago for just over $2k new. Today they run about $2500+ so it can be a factor.

Some things it does well? Suppresses well being piston w/adjustable gas block. It's been folding it stock before that kind of thing was cool and desirable with the AR15 crowd and everyone had to have a LAW TACTICAL FOLDER. It runs clean as hell - both of my SCARs have gone nearly 1K rounds over many months with minimal to no lube at all. Barrel changing is easy but the fact that they are $1k a pop sucks. People complain about the charging handle but it's not a big deal to me.

If I had to buy today, I likely wouldn't buy a new SCAR 16, as I'm comfortable with the AR15 SBR / Suppressed, but I have no regrets about buying my SCAR 16 & 17 years ago. They are handy, relatively lightweight, accurate and fun to shoot. I have plenty of parts for mine and will have them forever or until I gift them to family members in many decades when its time to pass them on.

alx01
05-29-20, 18:26
IMO, SCAR16 is a great rifle. Some people don't like particular features, but I really like it overall. I think it has a good modern design, controls, and very appealing package overall. Besides, it is built by one company to mil-spec with mil-spec parts and processes. Not an AR frankengun for sure.

That being said, if you factor in the ownership cost and spare parts availability at the end of the day it still shoots 5.56 no more reliably than a good AR15. I'd say definitely go for it if you want one. The two reasons not to buy one are: cost, or if you want a different controls/ergonomics.

dylank0723
05-29-20, 18:50
Give me some reasons to grab one over a sr15, or even a 416 upper build (I know where I can get them for a good price)

VIP3R 237
05-29-20, 18:59
I agree with this. It’s a fantastic SBR. It’s arguable the most reliable rifle in existence, and yeah FN support sucks but nothing breaks on it.

One thing though is if you want to suppress it then it’s highly recommended to replace your gas jets as the factory one is too big. Parker Mountain Machine makes a variety of sizes.

I love my 16S as an 10" SBR. That's where the SCAR design really shines in my opinion. I like my 17S, but it's hard to beat just how handy the 16S is as an SBR. Much better than my DD Mk18, as much as I like that set up as well. Besides the 10" barrel (obviously) and a chopped down Midwest Industries rail, I've never felt the need to replace or upgrade anything. Tried out a different buttstock for a while, but I'm back to the Ugg. Trigger is fine; I'm sure others are better, but I never noticed any difference between either SCAR trigger and any of the rack-grade M4s or M4A1s I have experience with. (they're actually much better than the M4A1s were initially, by a considerable margin)

Can't comment on using it suppressed though, as that's not my jam.

Obligatory picture:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49575340382_1ac0726f11_c.jpg

dylank0723
05-29-20, 19:10
I agree with this. It’s a fantastic SBR. It’s arguable the most reliable rifle in existence, and yeah FN support sucks but nothing breaks on it.

One thing though is if you want to suppress it then it’s highly recommended to replace your gas jets as the factory one is too big. Parker Mountain Machine makes a variety of sizes.

Yeah if I get one PMM is who’s gonna chop the barrel and do the gas jet

RHINOWSO
05-29-20, 19:32
Give me some reasons to grab one over a sr15, or even a 416 upper build (I know where I can get them for a good price)
Not sure I can talk you out of an SR15 over a SCAR, but a 416 upper build? Screw that thing. HK416s make the FN SCAR series look well supported! Bahahhahahahahha!!!

And you can get any FN part you need from MidWest Gun Works. They are outta stock sometimes, but if you are patient and sign up for notifications, you can get whatever you want in time (and money, of course...)

dylank0723
05-29-20, 19:38
Not sure I can talk you out of an SR15 over a SCAR, but a 416 upper build? Screw that thing. HK416s make the FN SCAR series look well supported! Bahahhahahahahha!!!

And you can get any FN part you need from MidWest Gun Works. They are outta stock sometimes, but if you are patient and sign up for notifications, you can get whatever you want in time (and money, of course...)

Yeah I love the idea of having a 416 but the practicality of it vs a sr15 or scar has me thinking. I saw where I can get scar parts, and i know that parts breakages are extremely rare. For the sr15, does anyone have a place to get spare extractors and ejector springs etc? Maybe even a bolt and firing pin. I know sr15s have great parts life, however I’ve never heard any round counts on parts breakages so I’m curious. My OCD likes having spare parts for everything

themonk
05-29-20, 20:04
What's the use case?

Sid Post
05-29-20, 20:46
There are several KAC distributors that can hook you up without drama. The KAC armorers are good sources as well. Myself, I have no concern about my rifle going down anytime soon with a pretty significant firing schedule.

My KAC SR-15 Mod 2 LPR is far and away my best and favorite semi-auto rifle. It will drive tacks in the target frame at a 100 yards. Take a good look at the KAC website for things that make it a solid choice like its BCG and other things like the Mod 2 gas system. Personally, I wouldn't trade my rifle for an HK or SCAR-16 even with $$ to sweeten the deal. It is simply a better rifle. And yes, I shoot suppressed and haven't noticed any gas in the face issues either.

An 11.5" carbine is destined to join me at some point in the future.

dylank0723
05-29-20, 21:14
What's the use case?

If I go scar, I’ll cut down to 10” with PMM, t2, used suppressed and unsuppressed, home defense, training, farm work

If Kac it’ll be the 11.5 upper with a lower i build, with a t2, same use as the scar

I do like to go fast at the range depending on the range I’m doing. I know both are reliable and good to go, I guess it’s mainly coming down to hard use and lasting durability. Thinking long term. Not necessarily shtf fantasy or anything, i just don’t like hassle. I’m not claiming to shoot out barrels every month or any of that nonsense but I do shoot high round counts and sometimes rifles get tossed around in the back of the truck or on the tractor. I think the only thing holding me up on the kac is how often do the dual extractor springs and associated e3 parts wear out, i know there’s an advantage, but is the advantage big enough compared to my other properly gassed ARs to warrant the proprietary parts and, i know i can get the parts it’s just a matter of is the advantage big enough, and i know it will be a while before a kac barrel wears out but i know that it does happen over extended time, not being able to do armorer level replacements such as the barrel or etc at home. With the scar, I know it’s proprietary and more costly, but I also know that when parts do break it’s extremely rare and high round counts. With the exception of chopping the barrel I can do all maintenance at home. Main hold up would probably be is that it’s not an ar, which is what I have all my experience with, I’m not worried about manual of arms, just thinking reciprocating charging handle, placement of peq and pressure pads etc. Just looking for the best option as far as performance and long term durability. As of now everything I’ve run has been colt and BCM. Currently on the triarc train with two 11.5s and a 13.9. One 11.5 with a razor and another with a t2. Gonna SBR those soon. The 13.9 is about to get a razor 1-6 or vudu 1-8 and will be the rifle for out of state stuff just to avoid paperwork hassle (i live right on a state line). If I get the scar, it’ll be to compliment all 3 and be my go to gun, and I’ll throw the new razor 1-10 on the 13.9. If I go kac, I’ll do 2 11.5s, each set up identical to my current triarcs to act as backups as well as training guns, will also get a 14.5 too and throw on a 2.5-10 to act as a 300yard and over gun. I know the kac route is much more expensive but I’m not worried about the prices, just looking for the best solution. Got very long winded with this reply lol but the scar would be a one go to gun to compliment everything, the kacs would basically be set up identical to my current rifles to just have 2 of everything

dylank0723
05-29-20, 21:16
There are several KAC distributors that can hook you up without drama. The KAC armorers are good sources as well. Myself, I have no concern about my rifle going down anytime soon with a pretty significant firing schedule.

My KAC SR-15 Mod 2 LPR is far and away my best and favorite semi-auto rifle. It will drive tacks in the target frame at a 100 yards. Take a good look at the KAC website for things that make it a solid choice like its BCG and other things like the Mod 2 gas system. Personally, I wouldn't trade my rifle for an HK or SCAR-16 even with $$ to sweeten the deal. It is simply a better rifle. And yes, I shoot suppressed and haven't noticed any gas in the face issues either.

An 11.5" carbine is destined to join me at some point in the future.

Yeah I’m not really worried about it going down with a high round count, that e3 bolt and barrel with that sealed gas system is what makes it so attractive to me, but more or less weighing is the advantage high enough over a properly gassed gun to warrant dealing with the proprietary parts

themonk
05-29-20, 21:20
You may want to look into Hodge 12.5. His durability testing is pretty impressive.

dylank0723
05-29-20, 21:22
You may want to look into Hodge 12.5. His durability testing is pretty impressive.

I have, and if one ever comes my way down the road I’ll scoop it up, just for right now these are the two I’m stuck on lol

VIP3R 237
05-29-20, 22:21
It sounds like you have pretty much every AR style covered, so just go with the scar haha.

I have, and if one ever comes my way down the road I’ll scoop it up, just for right now these are the two I’m stuck on lol

dylank0723
05-30-20, 13:34
Anyone have an approximate parts life on the extractor springs for a sr15?

Bret
03-02-22, 16:00
Any updated thoughts on the SCAR 16S now that it comes with a non-reciprocating charging handle? I'm thinking about adding one to my collection. I'm pretty much a military style rifle whore, so I like almost all of them and one doesn't have to be the best for me to buy it. The only thing that's holding me back is the price, but I can afford it. On principal it just seems like it's too much, but that logic hasn't always stopped me in the past. I love my Bren2 and the price of it was less than half of the SCAR 16S. I have no way of knowing, but it seems like FN might have it priced so high for the civilian market so they can keep getting big bucks from the military. All that said and given that it's a US military rifle, it just seems like it belongs in my collection.

Alpha-17
03-03-22, 06:42
Any updated thoughts on the SCAR 16S now that it comes with a non-reciprocating charging handle? I'm thinking about adding one to my collection. I'm pretty much a military style rifle whore, so I like almost all of them and one doesn't have to be the best for me to buy it. The only thing that's holding me back is the price, but I can afford it. On principal it just seems like it's too much, but that logic hasn't always stopped me in the past. I love my Bren2 and the price of it was less than half of the SCAR 16S. I have no way of knowing, but it seems like FN might have it priced so high for the civilian market so they can keep getting big bucks from the military. All that said and given that it's a US military rifle, it just seems like it belongs in my collection.

I don't really see the appeal of the NRCH, but the RCH has never bothered me in the slightest, so I'm likely not their target consumer. I really don't know if I'd pay the current going prices for the 16S (good lord, they've gotten pricey haven't they?) but people said the same thing when they were going for $2K, so maybe it's a good investment.

Press Check
03-03-22, 11:19
I bought one back in 2016. How much are they going for nowadays?

Bret
03-03-22, 13:10
About $3,100 is the best I could find.

Press Check
03-03-22, 14:17
Personally, I think it is worth it, and I believe you'd be hard-pressed to find many SCAR owners who thinks they overpaid for the platform. Asking that question of anyone that does not own a SCAR is setting the stage for comments regarding what they would rather do with $3,100.

kwelz
03-08-22, 19:23
I snagged my 16 for 1800 a couple years back. Chopped it to 10.5ish and added an MREX rail. It makes an amazing SBR. Though I need to have the finish fixed.

FN support sucks. However there is a growing secondary market to make up for this. Especially PMM as others have mentioned.

Bret
03-08-22, 20:31
I went ahead and ordered one and am looking forward to shooting it. I also went ahead and ordered a flat dark earth (aka tan) ACOG, a flat dark earth American Defense Manufacturing two lever scope mount and some flat dark earth rail covers.

RHINOWSO
03-13-22, 08:36
I'm sure I would prefer a NRCH on my SCARs, but I have my forward BCM grips on them far enough forward to not catch on them.

Prices are insane; I paid $2100 on a 16S and $2400 for a 17S, granted these were nearly a decade ago. Both rifles are reliable and fun to shoot; critics will chime in with issues for both but they both do what I want. However, I certainly wouldn't pay $3-4K for them these days, especially with AR-10(ish) 308 rifles becoming far more common / popular / reliable.

OP, enjoy your 16!

Turnkey11
03-20-22, 07:25
Where's the get both option?

I bought my Scar 16 and a legacy SR15 IWS at the same time, and shot the snot out of both pretty equally. Fast forward a few years and I had a couple SBR stamps, and a 10" barrel Assy for the SCAR and a CQB upper for one of my AR lowers. There are things that I obviously like more about the SR15 upper, but I really cannot say that I would pick one over the other. The biggest difference is how much louder the SCAR is suppressed with a NT4 at the ear without plugs or muffs, with ear pro you cannot tell the difference.

https://i.imgur.com/XxMOJ7K.jpeg

Sid Post
03-21-22, 05:03
Where's the get both option?

I bought my Scar 16 and a legacy SR15 IWS at the same time, and shot the snot out of both pretty equally. Fast forward a few years and I had a couple SBR stamps, and a 10" barrel Assy for the SCAR and a CQB upper for one of my AR lowers. There are things that I obviously like more about the SR15 upper, but I really cannot say that I would pick one over the other. The biggest difference is how much louder the SCAR is suppressed with a NT4 at the ear without plugs or muffs, with ear pro you cannot tell the difference.

What is recoil like on your SCAR? My SCAR-17 is a real scope breaker.

Turnkey11
03-21-22, 13:13
What is recoil like on your SCAR? My SCAR-17 is a real scope breaker.

The sights barely move, but you can feel the bolt cycling. Best way to describe it is sluggish, definitely not AR like.

TacticalSpeed
03-21-22, 22:15
Those that have experience with both, would you pick the Scar 16s or the Steyr AUG if you would only pick one?

Turnkey11
03-22-22, 06:30
Scar 16, not a fan of bullpups. I stopped wanting an AUG once I shot one, felt overgassed and recoil was stiff for a 5.56.

Bret
03-22-22, 08:53
Those that have experience with both, would you pick the Scar 16s or the Steyr AUG if you would only pick one?
I now have both. Factoring money, I'd buy an AUG and another $1,000+ rifle.