PDA

View Full Version : EOTech Parasitic Power Drain?

HKGuns
06-01-20, 08:42
As part of my annual maintenance routine I pulled out one of my EOTech equipped AR’s this morning to find the optic was dead.

Further investigation revealed the batteries in both EOTech equipped rifles were dead.

I’ve not shot either in a while so there must be some parasitic drain on the battery when not in use.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I simply late to discover something already well known?

In any case, it is something folks should be mindful of as I didn’t expect this to happen.

ETA: Using the Red SureFire batteries in both.

Glock9mm1990
06-01-20, 10:02
How old are the batteries?

mebiuspower
06-01-20, 15:46
How old is the EOTech?

ggammell
06-02-20, 00:49
Very common with Eotech. Has been for years.

HKGuns
06-02-20, 07:27
EOTech's are both XPS and the batteries are less than a year old.

markm
06-02-20, 08:03
EOTech's are both XPS and the batteries are less than a year old.

Wow. I'll have to check mine.

06-02-20, 17:12
Just checked mine. Its an older NV model I got used 5 years ago. Lives on my .22 that I don’t use often enough. Its had the same lithium AAs in it for 1-2yrs. Still works. I seem to have pretty good luck with stuff like this lately.

RHINOWSO
06-02-20, 19:08
I only have one, a new build 518 I got on sale. I have heard about the issue so I keep the AA batteries in the pistol grip since it's on a spare budget AR15 that isn't required to be 'always ready'.

3monkeys
06-03-20, 02:06
If you live in a really humid area like i do it can affect your batteries prior to being used in your sights, and I’ve had batteries corrod inside a supposedly sealed compartment.

CoryCop25
06-03-20, 03:42
Eotech uses a laser not an LED like Aimpoint and other optics.

Because this laser requires a warm up time (kind of like an old tube TV).

Eotech has the board powered up all of the time so that when the user pushes the buttons to turn the optic on, the start up is instant. If the board was to not consume power when the unit was off, there would be a delay when the power button was pushed before the dot would appear.

So basically, any Eotech will draw from the battery even when the power is off.

So your options are this:
Change the batteries very regularly
Remove the batteries when not in use
Buy an Aimpoint

Anunnaki
06-06-20, 05:15
They're supposed to have some parasitic drain. I owned an Exps3 for at least 2 1/2 years and never had to change the battery in it. I didn't use it often.

TWR
07-04-20, 13:43
I purchased my EXPS2-0 11-17 after the redesign or whatever they did. I have it on a Colt 6720 that doesn’t get shot a bunch but is still on the original batteries. So 31 months and still going strong.

Glock9mm1990
07-04-20, 13:47
I purchased my EXPS2-0 11-17 after the redesign or whatever they did. I have it on a Colt 6720 that doesn’t get shot a bunch but is still on the original batteries. So 31 months and still going strong.

Bought my XPS3-2 last December, still on original batteries.

Wake27
07-04-20, 15:42
That was one of those known issues IIRC but it was intermittent. Bet they’ll fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boba Fett v2
07-06-20, 10:20
I started running the EOTech Green last year and I'm still operating on the same battery, albeit I don't think enough time has passed to justify any significant battery drain while powered down, and I do power it up and shoot it quite often. It's not a carbine I keep in readiness condition one for HD, so I'm not concerned if I need it to power up right away and spare batteries should be stored somewhere on the rifle anyway. I don't or have ever had any issues with any EOTech I've privately owned, but some guys seem have nothing but bad luck with them. That's really too bad because I don't think a lot of people would dispute its advantage in a close quarters fight.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9318/oNYiJd.jpg

markm
07-06-20, 14:20
Mine is still chunking along fine. I didn't pull the battery to test its remaining capacity. I don't know why I still keep an EO after all their problems... I guess I just like it as a reference optic.

Offensive
07-08-20, 09:08
Mine doesn’t draw down like it did before I sent it back for the upgraded internals