PDA

View Full Version : VLTOR VC-1 versus PWS FSC556

matthewdanger
11-25-08, 16:53
The wife is really enjoying her new carbine and for a beginner she is really hell on wheels - a natural. Her second shot splits are getting faster every time we are out but she asked to day about comps/breaks and if they would help her keep the muzzle down. I said they would and that I would look into finding something suitable for her.

So I am looking at the VC-1 which Grant carries and seems to like and the PWS FSC556 which always seems to get great reviews. It is much easier to find info on the PWS than the VLTOR. The VC-1's price is more attractive but the FSC556 gets more attention. I have an FSC47 and like it quite a bit - great break, very decent flash suppression.

Does anyone have experience with both? Which keeps the muzzle down better? Which is a more effective flash suppressor? Any other considerations?

Thanks,
Matt

usmc2pd
11-25-08, 17:30
I ordered two Henderson Defense M4H3's with 14.5" barrels, one with a Vltor VC1 and one with the PWS556. If you can wait about 7-10 days I'll let you know how they perform.

Thanks,

Bill

matthewdanger
11-25-08, 17:57
You sir, rock very very hard. I am looking forward to your review.

normal
12-07-08, 02:34
I ordered two Henderson Defense M4H3's with 14.5" barrels, one with a Vltor VC1 and one with the PWS556. If you can wait about 7-10 days I'll let you know how they perform.

Thanks,

Bill

Any chance to check these out yet? I'm very curious.
Thanks

usmc2pd
12-07-08, 10:27
Haven't received the rifles yet, but should have them soon (maybe end of the week). The wait hasn't been bad at all. These rifles were part of a 10 gun group purchase and only three of the rifles were ordered before 11/04 and given HDI's standard option list I don't think any two guns were ordered the same. The good news in addition to the 14.5" with the VC1 and two 14.5" with the PWS556 we are receiving several 14.5" with Smith Vortexs, so we should be able to do a relatively thorough comparison test alongside some 16" A2's and some M16a1's.

Here are the spec's on the ones I ordered:

M4H3
14.5" 1x7
Vltor VC1 (that I had sent in from ADCO)
DD Omega 7.0
MOE Grip
CTR Stock

M4H3
14.5" 1x7
PWS556

Epic Ed
05-26-09, 22:31
Hate to raise this zombie, but I wondering if you might have a review and comparison of the two breaks?

Or -- anyone else with an opinion on one vs. the other.

Ed

SeriousStudent
05-26-09, 23:03
I have a PWS556 and love it. If you have a half-way good grasp on the hand guard, there is no muzzle rise. It's not as good as a Vortex at reducing muzzle flash, but it's amazing at how fast you can obtain an accurate second shot.

GotM4 (Robb) at Virginia Arms installed it for me. Nice bunch of folks.

And I am sure that anything Grant would sell or install for you would run very well indeed. My 6920 upper was already being worked on by Robb, and he made me an offer too good to pass up.

Good luck to you.

Epic Ed
05-26-09, 23:08
SS! Crazy seeing you on this site. Funny how common the places are we tend to all lurk.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone find the blast/noise level increase is just so annoying that it's just not worth it? I've never run a comp on an AR and I'm trying to decide if the benefits are worth the possible down sides.

Maybe I should start my own thread. If a mod would prefer I do that instead of resurrecting this old one just let me know.

Ed

SeriousStudent
05-26-09, 23:17
Welcome aboard, good to see you here.

It is definitely louder than my Vortex. But not enough to make children cry, or a strong man cringe. If you were standing directly to the side, it is noticeable.

I have a new set of Sordins Supreme Pro X hearing protectors that I tested at the range this week, and I honestly did not notice a lot of difference shooting the two. Both were on 16" barrels. The Vortex is on a BCM middy, and the FSC556 is on a Colt 6920.

Epic Ed
05-26-09, 23:20
Yeah, I expect it will be louder than a Vortex, but I just don't want it to be so obnoxious it will sent my neighbors at the range scampering for a different lane. This will be going on my Noveske N4 middy, so I'm hoping the combo of a 16" barrel and a mid-length gas system will help limit the blast noise.

Ed

SeriousStudent
05-28-09, 20:14
My Vortex is on a BCM middy. It does feel pretty soft on the recoil. It's only a .223, after all.

My Tactical Solutions .22 upper is softer, but sheesh, you have to go airsoft to get less recoil than that - LOL.

And then they would tear up my man card.

spr1
05-29-09, 12:19
I have several VC-1's now. I liked the first one so much, I needed more. I have no experience with the PWS, but:
- I have typically changed out A2 FH's for A1, as I have experienced dramatic improvements in accuracy from the swap.
- The VC-1 appears to provide the same level of accuracy as the A1.
- The POI from the change to VC-1 from A1 was minimal. Nice uniform gas pressure, unlike the assymetrical pressure and resulting accuracy degradation from the A2
- The VC-1 does not seem to be any louder than, or not significantly louder, than the A1, at least to my unscientific ear.
- The muzzle control is dramatically better in rapid fire than the A1, and in slow fire at range, the sight does not move off target
- It is not as effective a brake as my SF, but, it is not nearly as loud.
- My 15 year old, wearing muffs, and my shooting buddy wearing plugs both always comment on how loud the SF is, they have never commented on the VC-1. Unscientific, but empirical.....

mpom
05-29-09, 20:23

Thanks,

Bill

Great timing!
Looking forwards to your review.
Also wondering about how much additional noise and muzzle blast these generate, in comparison to a pure flash suppressor, such as a Vortex or AAC Blackout.
Hopefully none, but I suspect there is no free lunch.

Mark P

jp0319
05-30-09, 01:44
Go on brownells and look at their video of flash suppressor comparisons. The Vltor was horrible as far as flash suppression goes. PWS also has videos on their sight showing flash suppression of their products as well as recoil control. If it was me between the two I would go with the PWS FSC 556 hands down. As good or better flash suppression as well as the added benefit of less recoil.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?x=v&p=0&t=1&i=1329

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?x=v&p=0&t=1&i=1327

http://primaryweapons.com/UserFiles/Media/FSC556_web.wmv

mpom
05-30-09, 08:46
Thanks, JP.
No doubt the FSC556 works very well for recoil control and flash suppression, as well or better than any other combination device.
Just wondering about the downsides as most things are a balance. Wanted to know form folks with experience if the side muzzle blast and noise are significant enough to outweigh the benefits in a "tactical" or self defense role. Obviously in a pure competition gun, noise and muzzle blast are not as detrimental, except to the RO or fellow competitors.
Appreciate the feedback.

Mark

matthewdanger
05-30-09, 08:53
This thread has come back to life I guess.

I ended up going with the PWS FSC556. It is a reasonably effective break and during low light shoots I found it to be a very effective flash suppressor. I do not really notice any increased sound behind the rifle but those next to me do say the report sounds a bit sharper although not much more than shooting next to any other 14.5-16" AR. Overall I am really pleased with the performance of this product.

mpom
05-30-09, 16:14
Thanks, MD.:)
You helped me pick a fathers day gift for me!
Maybe its a case of using technology rather than skill, but I think Brownell's is due some more money.

Mark