PDA

View Full Version : Basement Dehumidifier

Krazykarl
06-05-20, 17:17
I have been going through Frigidaire 70 pint dehumidifiers at the rate of 1 every 6 years. Yes, just outside of warranty...
Even with regular cleaning and maintenance the coils rust and the freon leaks out. Does anyone make a durable dehumidifier?

georgeib
06-05-20, 19:01
I there a way to treat/coat the coils to prevent corrosion?

Krazykarl
06-05-20, 19:07
I am not sure about rust proofing the coils. Maybe a new dehumidifier could be treated?

Randall
06-05-20, 19:19
I have a Frigidaire 70pt too. Three years in on mine and its done great so far, fingers crossed. How many have you gone through?

Krazykarl
06-05-20, 19:22
This is my third Frigidaire. Second 70 pint unit. It runs, the coils don't get cool, water doesn't collect in the bucket.

m1a_scoutguy
06-05-20, 19:33
Do you let the bucket fill and it shuts off by itself,or do you have a hose on the bucket and it runs continuously ? I would burn one up every 3 to 5 years with the hose on the bucket. Mine now fill and shut off and I dump it everyday ! I have two and have had one for well over 10 years and the other one at least 6 or 7 ! I'm at work but will check Make/Model when I get home.

Krazykarl
06-05-20, 19:37
I normally attach a hose to it and let it do its thing during the summer months. I stop it to clean the filter once a month. During the winter it is off and unneeded. Right now I have it just dripping into the bucket just to see if it will work. I suspect that it is shot as it threw a "FO" code.

m1a_scoutguy
06-05-20, 19:58
I normally attach a hose to it and let it do its thing during the summer months. I stop it to clean the filter once a month. During the winter it is off and unneeded. Right now I have it just dripping into the bucket just to see if it will work. I suspect that it is shot as it threw a "FO" code.

There ya go,,same thing happened with mine ! Its a pain but don't do the hose and just empty everyday and see what happens. Mine is off in the Winter also,I live Upstate/Central NY so we get good humid Summers and dam cold winters,LOL And for what its worth I have never cleaned mine,guess I never knew ya had to ! ;)

sniperfrog
06-05-20, 21:32
Kenmore. I’ve had one running almost non stop for 19 years.

I’m kind of afraid to post this because now it will probably go tits up.

Edm
06-05-20, 22:01
This is my third Frigidaire. Second 70 pint unit. It runs, the coils don't get cool, water doesn't collect in the bucket.

Does the screen say FO? I’m on my third. Both the previous ones did that. Outside of warranty but Frigidaire sent me my money back anyway. Mine last 2 or 3 years. They tell me to cut the cord and take a picture, and send them a picture of the screen saying FO. I dunno...I’m not having to spend more, but it is a pain to have to keep doing this.

jsbhike
06-05-20, 23:38
Kenmore. I’ve had one running almost non stop for 19 years.

I’m kind of afraid to post this because now it will probably go tits up.

May go another 19, but the replacement isn't likely to do so.

Was talking to a guy a couple years back that had worked for a manufacturer of gas and electric motors, HVAC, and refrigeration and he said the last 5 or so years he was there the goal was to get a design that would fail a few months after warranty instead of lasting and being rebuildable. 1 guy so take it for what it is worth.

Krazykarl
06-06-20, 05:43
Anyone here have a Honeywell? According to my Amazon research, Honeywell is the only one to offer the same warranty. Frigidaire is 1 year and then 5 years on the "sealed system ".

Edited to discover that Amazon was incorrect. The 1 year/5 year must be an industry standard...

Krazykarl
06-06-20, 06:28
Is the solution found in purchasing an extended warranty from Lowe's? I usually don't buy extended warranties. Maybe it is justified with the dehumidifier market.

TommyG
06-06-20, 09:47
We burn through one every other year or every third year. They don't seem to last very long. Bought a very expensive one from the local appliance store with assurances that it would outlast everything and it was on par with the run of the mill machines from Lowes/Home Depot.

utahjeepr
06-06-20, 09:54
From a construction standpoint. When mechanical contractors install them in commercial construction they either drain immediately into a plumbed drain of they dump directly into a condensate pump to transfer the water. Don't let the water back up into the unit you want it to drain freely.

Dukr
06-06-20, 11:01
I'm on my 4th Frigidaire in about 5 years. They keep replacing them under warranty. I keep hoping they figure out what the problem is with them.

m1a_scoutguy
06-06-20, 15:52
I checked and both mine are Frigidaire,one I didn't check ,my Bro-In-Law gave it to me about 5 or 6 years ago,my oldest one was built in 95 ! They don't run year round so maybe that's my saving grace,,lets hope I don't jinks myself,LOL Lets admit it,shit isn't built like it was when we grew up,,its built to fail sad to say !

Krazykarl
06-06-20, 16:12
Based on consensus that Frigidaire is the best, knowing that the warranty will probably work in my favor, and this websites research

http://www.dehumidifierbuyersguide.com/

I just ordered another 70 pint from Frigidaire. $225 Amazon. Be here Tuesday.

duece71
06-06-20, 23:04
Yep, time for me to get one for my new house (new to me I should say). Frigidaire 70 pint on Amazon looks good.

Krazykarl
06-08-20, 09:13
Update:

Just got off the phone with Frigidaire. Turns out my lovely bride did register the dehumidifier. It was under 5 years for the sealed portion of the warranty. I was given 2 options:

1. Frigidaire send me a new unit
2. Frigidaire give me a prepaid debit card for the purchase of the new dehumidifier from Amazon.

I selected option 2 as the new unit will be here tomorrow. They need:

1. Original receipt or image of it.
2. Picture of unit serial number
3. Picture of error code. FO in this case.

So far, so good!