PDA

View Full Version : Which Sling?

Trihonda
06-05-20, 17:56
At work, I've used a single point bungee thing I can't stand (with a mash hook). My new BCM Reccee MCMR 11.5 has a number of QD options.

1 What do people find are the best slings for AR pistols?
2 Best slings for the money?
3 Where do you buy? LGS? Amazon?

I used to dabble in paracord, and toyed with the idea of making my own, but without experience on best lengths and fitment, I think I'll buy my first go around.

Thanks.

grizzman
06-05-20, 18:23
At work, I've used a single point bungee thing I can't stand. My new BCM Reccee MCMR 11.5 has a number of QD options.

1 What do people find are the best slings for AR pistols? The best sling for a pistol is the same best sling for a carbine. VTAC, VCAS, Proctor, etc. I've currently got an upadded VCAS on my 11.5" Sionics.

2 Best slings for the money? None of these are expensive.

3 Where do you buy? LGS? Amazon? Neither. I buy VCAS directly from Blue FOrce Gear. Most of my VTAC slings came from LaRue.

I used to dabble in paracord, and toyed with the idea of making my own, but without experience on best lengths and fitment, I think I'll buy my first go around.

Thanks.

I see no reason to mess with making a sling, when you can buy one that'll last 50 years for $50.

MegademiC
06-05-20, 18:31
I use blueforce vcas and slingster.
I think I prefer the vcas slightly for short term use. A pad will feel better for longer carry.

Vtac and proctor are also popular here.

Any of them will be good, splitting hairs as that point imo- what do you want it for? Long term carry? SD situations? Hunting?

officerX
06-05-20, 18:40
I have a padded BFG VCAS and like it. It’s the only one I’ve ever used so I have nothing to compare it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sid Post
06-05-20, 19:54
How do the Haley Strategic slings compare to BFG and similar options? Good, Bad, ...?

Or maybe a Magpul or Viking Tactics? The BFG I own were all purchased directly from BFG.

What other good overlooked options are out there?

JediGuy
06-05-20, 20:25
Plenty of good options, including some smaller names that I haven’t had the need to try.

1. Padded VCAS “Vickers” sling by BlueForceGear
This was the second sling I bought, I think, and the only one used through a carbine course. Adjustments are easy, sling is fairly light. Plenty of attachment options available from BFG. Preferred option (for me) when wearing a T-Shirt. Will be mounted on a 308 AR shortly.
2. Standard VCAS sling
I also have two non-padded VCAS slings that actually stay permanently mounted to my SBR and carbine. They’re fine. Less bulky for in the safe, but I’d probably put the padded one back on if carrying for a day.
Note in both padded and non-padded VCAS slings: Given the option to go back in time, I think I would get metal hardware over plastic. Zero problems with plastic, but I have read that adjustments are slightly smoother with the metal hardware.
3. Proctor sling
Minimalist option. Slightly cheaper. Light. When I got another VCAS, this ended up on my leaf blower. I liked it, but liked the VCAS more. Probably wouldn’t be a favorite for walking patrol, if you have to do that (I never have).
4. Magpul MS-
I liked the adjustment slider. Material was heavier than the VCAS. Sold both of mind and got more VCAS.
5. Viking Tactics VTAC sling
The adjustments were slick but 100% more complicated than the VCAS (more dangly things). Use briefly and sold. Nothing wrong with it.

You might guess which sling I prefer. All the above are fine, I just found what I liked.
There are some smaller options like the Sheriff of Baghdad SOB, Edgar Sherman Design ESD, and Ferro Slingster. Some people on here had another recommended one, too...Redwood or something like that.

As far as where to buy, I avoid Amazon for gun stuff.
Blue Force Gear direct or Primary Arms on sale
VTAC...sold everywhere
Magpul...everywhere
Proctor direct, but he links to his Amazon store
SOB no idea
ESD and Slingster are on Forward Controls Designs’ site.

Edit: Spelling. Every time.

san3012
06-05-20, 20:33
I've used the BFG, Emdom Gunslinger, VCAS, Magpul, Proctor and the B-Sling from SOBTactical on various deployments. My go-to favorite is the B-Sling.

R0CKETMAN
06-06-20, 05:26
VCAS or VTAC

FYI...
The QD on an SBA4 doesn’t work for me due to its’ location. Therefore I use endplate attachment.

MattC
06-06-20, 09:10
Blue Force Gear

https://www.blueforcegear.com/slings

Devildawg2531
06-06-20, 09:24
I have 5 BlueForce Gear VCAS slings. 2 padded and 3 non padded. Three on AR's and 1 on Begara and 1 on 10/22. Obviously I like them a lot.. wish I'd had this sling in the Marines (especially the padded would have been nice with humps)

Trihonda
06-06-20, 09:42
Thanks for all the advice.. now I have to go google what VTAC and VCAS stand for... lol

Sid Post
06-06-20, 09:57
Thanks for all the advice.. now I have to go google what VTAC and VCAS stand for... lol

Vickers Combat Applications Sling™ from BFG

Vickers tactical slings (https://www.vickerstactical.com/carbine-slings.html)
With the introduction of my quick adjust two point sling design by Blue Force Gear, I felt it was time to share my thoughts on carbine slings. For those who have had my carbine classes this will be old news, but those who haven’t may enjoy reading this...

Matt_J
06-06-20, 11:54
Edgar Sherman sling. You can adjust it on the fly. Priceless design.
https://www.edgarshermandesign.com/product/esd-sling/

boss_hawg
06-06-20, 14:11
I have 7 or so BFG VCAS slings. They are very nice and you can’t go wrong with them. They’re simple and rugged. I have two of the padded variety but I like the standard version better as there’s more adjustment range for fitting. Because I use these for deer hunting, I like to be able to pull the sling super tight for the climb into the deer stand. The length of the pad on the padded version prevents making the necessary adjustments on the rear triglide. If I had to carry an 8 lbs rifle for hours on end or were wearing body armor, the padded would be the ticket though.

I have two Viking Tactics slings and they’re not bad. The added hardware, pull tabs, doo-dads, tails, etc make it seem like overkill. Some folks love them and I can see why.

Proctor WotG sling - I have one and I’m not that impressed. Super simple and super light but the paracord attachments come loose very easily and the sling twists/rolls excessively.

I have a Troy Industry padded sling. Pass on that one.

I have one Warhorse Concepts quick adjust sling. So far I’m very impressed. It works similar to the BFG VCAS but is lighter and less expensive. Mine has the plastic adjuster vs the metal cam.

I have two Zahal IDF slings and they are inexpensive and simple. Great for that clone look but the material is abrasive if you’re wearing a tee-shirt and there’s no rapid adjust.

I have a Blackhawk or some other garbage 3 point sling. Hard hard pass.

I have a PIG (Patrol Incidence Gear) 1 point sling. Pass.

I have been wanting to check out the following slings: SOB, Ferro Concepts, Snake Eater Tactical, Lunar Concepts, Armageddon Gear, and Edgar Sherman.

May buy a Haley Strategic one day too but I like HK, mash, or Magpul paraclips on the front and a QD on the rear. Sewn-in QD front plus the price tag kind of makes this one a no-go.

Savvy Sniper gets great reviews as well but it is expensive and looks complicated. Would like to try one but not at the price they’re asking.

I also make my own to tweak the various designs quirks of the above-mentioned slings that drive me crazy.

So I have a problem I guess.

Coyote bulldozer
06-07-20, 09:34
I have 2 BFG VCAS slings, I really like the material they use, even in odd positions and with many layers of clothing they never roll and always stay perfectly oriented. I typically wear the sling under my backpack and there's nothing to tangle on the packs straps.

I also have several of my own DIY Edgar Sherman design slings. If you can sew webbing they're only about $7 worth of parts to build! I find they actually adjust easier then the VCAS. I don't have the cool silicone ring adjusters, just use a piece of heatshrinked paracord with a generic cord pull-tab.

Out of the two I don't consider either better, as I said I love the material of the VCAS but like the adjuster setup of the ESD better. Both styles are excellent and you can't go wrong with either!

rocsteady
06-07-20, 21:14
just ordered a ESD today after years of training and working with a VTAC (Viking Tactics; Kyle Lamb's company). I have at least a half dozen VTAC slings on one weapon or another or waiting as a spare. Never had a problem. Saw a video with the Edgar Sherman design and just want to try the ESD and see if it eliminates the dangling ends that bother me. For customer service you can't be VTAC for sure. Awesome company and awesome guy

steelcore
06-07-20, 22:08
At work, I've used a single point bungee thing I can't stand. My new BCM Reccee MCMR 11.5 has a number of QD options.

Thanks.

Everyone has a preference. I'm pleased with Magpul Slings. I'm using MS4 on my rifles. As far as where I purchase, I have ordered direct from Magpul,Govx, Optics Planet

88E30M50
06-08-20, 11:46
Does anyone use an UrbanERT sling? I have one and I like it but I’ve never spent an entire day using it. It seems well made and carries quite well.

nightchief
06-08-20, 19:56
How do the Haley Strategic slings compare to BFG and similar options? Good, Bad, ...?

Or maybe a Magpul or Viking Tactics? The BFG I own were all purchased directly from BFG.

What other good overlooked options are out there?

I used the HSP sling for about a year, through a carbine class, hunting and other training and competition events. I am not LE or Mil, so I cannot comment in that lane.

I have several thousand rounds of 1-way range experience with it. I like the concept of this sling, being convertible for 2 point to 1 point. I stopped using it for one primary reason, when adjusting the pull quickly, either to tighten or loosen, the sling webbing had a tendency to fold over on it self and inside the tri-guide slide, locking up the sling and requiring several minutes and sometimes a tool to unjam it.

slowrx
06-08-20, 22:32
My current go to is the Ferro Concepts slingster, I have 3 at the moment. I also have an LBT padded and have had BFG and also a VTAC, slingster is still my favorite.

broke_shooter
06-09-20, 20:08
I have two Slingters and two Blue Force Gear slings. I like them both. I give the edge to the Slingster because of the ease of length adjustment. They are both comfortable and adjustability for fit is good.
I had a Magpul ms3. I hated it. adjusting length was a pain, it wasn't comfortable.
I think either a Ferro Concepts Slingster or BFG sling are the way to go.

eta: I should mention all my slings are the padded versions.

Leftie
06-09-20, 20:49
I had a BFG VCAS which I wasn't a big fan of, and so I purchased a Proctor Sling and never looked back. I'll be the first to admit that the paracord attachment can come undone somewhat easily - girth-hitching the paracord around a QD loop solved the problem for me. The sling does rotate somewhat, but I haven't had it be an issue. The sling is SUPER lightweight and does what it's designed to do.

When I have an opportunity, I'll likely be picking up either an ESD, SOB or Slingster, if only out of curiosity.

officerX
06-09-20, 21:02
Anybody in this thread that has a black padded VCAS they decided they didn’t like - MESSAGE ME! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Milspec78
06-10-20, 08:44
Blue force gear two way padded slings are my go to.

1986s4
06-10-20, 08:59
I had a BFG VCAS which I wasn't a big fan of, and so I purchased a Proctor Sling and never looked back. I'll be the first to admit that the paracord attachment can come undone somewhat easily - girth-hitching the paracord around a QD loop solved the problem for me. The sling does rotate somewhat, but I haven't had it be an issue. The sling is SUPER lightweight and does what it's designed to do.

When I have an opportunity, I'll likely be picking up either an ESD, SOB or Slingster, if only out of curiosity.

I started with a Procter sling and I was a little disappointed with the quality of the "paracord" they used, more like cheap shoestring IMO. In fact I removed the quality shoestring from a pair of worn out go fast hiking shoes and replaced the kite string on the Proctor sling with it. It worked so well I bought real paracord and replaced the shoestring. Now using a Edgar Sherman sling with HK clips which seems a little higher quality all around.

Trihonda
06-10-20, 09:24
Whelp... Slings are sold out everywhere... my LGS and police supply shop said they’re completely back ordered from every source they use.

Sid Post
06-10-20, 09:39
Whelp... Slings are sold out everywhere... my LGS and police supply shop said they’re completely back ordered from every source they use.

They are out there if you google a bit. In my case, I got KAC QD swivels from NS Defense for a price I normally see for BCM equivalents.

All the 'popular' and trendy gun websites seem to be sold out of most stuff but, the quality lesser-known and specialty sites still have stuff that isn't price gouged if you can't wait for the current craziness to subside.

26 Inf
06-10-20, 11:36

Well, my favorite, is in stock, in every color but black - B-Sling 1" Mash Hook @ $26.00 - https://sobtactical.com/store/slings/

What I like about these is you pull toward you to tighten and away to loosen, seems quicker, and to me, more instinctive.

I always order the mash hooks and have my wife remove the mash hook and replace it with a QD sling swivel. I use GrovTec swivels, you can find them on Amazon or numerous other places - the heavy-duties are rated for 450 pounds, which seems enough for my operationally operative life-style.

Most of the time I thread them through on the rear, occasionally I'll have her sew a QD swivel on both ends.

She does this for me because I occasionally take her to lunch - I'm leaving to meet her now, in fact. :jester:

taliv
06-14-20, 08:54
i have a big box of slings, like probably most here, that includes vtac and BFG. good stuff, for sure, but this one is my fav
https://www.armageddongear.com/Convertible-Carbine-Sling-With-QD-Swivels

simple, light, clean. a little bit of bungee, and quickly converts from 2 point to single point, by unhooking the flush cup from the rail and hooking it into the sling

boss_hawg
06-14-20, 09:33
Ordered and received two SOB b-slings. Haven’t taken them out to the farm yet but I’ve very impressed with the quality and mechanics of the design.

These are hard to beat for $26 especially if you use mash or HK clips on the front attachment.

26 Inf
06-15-20, 01:18
I think you'll like them. Let us know.

jsbhike
06-15-20, 10:16
I always order the mash hooks and have my wife remove the mash hook and replace it with a QD sling swivel. I use GrovTec swivels, you can find them on Amazon or numerous other places - the heavy-duties are rated for 450 pounds, which seems enough for my operationally operative life-style.

I have mostly switched to Proctor slings, but when using Wd the Grovtecs were the most bang for the buck I found. I preferred the low profile release button version.

REDinFL
06-16-20, 13:45
I'm still satisfied with my old VTAC. Adjust it right and it does everything one needs. Even more useful than an M1907, and if one does the basic adjustment right, will do the same thing as far as a virtual "mechanical lock" for accuracy.

Robisten8
06-18-20, 07:18
I learned very early on in my career that a sling makes a huge difference especially during lengthy standoffs. I own two Haley Strategic D3's and wouldn't buy any other sling in the future. You get what you pay for.

Sid Post
06-19-20, 15:16
I learned very early on in my career that a sling makes a huge difference especially during lengthy standoffs. I own two Haley Strategic D3's and wouldn't buy any other sling in the future. You get what you pay for.

THANK YOU! Great feedback.

Core781
06-19-20, 23:23

Thanks.

1. VTAC 5.11 single point bungee for a short pistol. It's not a patrol rifle so it stays stowed until ready for use, if it's deployed it will not be slung for long. Yes the hardware and straps are ancient but reliable. Heat shrink excess material once adjusted or ranger band it. I was trained on MP5SD/N with single point slings so it works for me.

2. BFG Vicker ONE sling is my favorite overall. I have put the BFG slings through paces over the years and trust them. I like the pull tab for fast on the fly adjustments and the low noise polymer hardware. The webbing is just tough as hell. I use their ULoop to attach the sling to the rails: you can order QD if you like that or do a traditional sling mount on the front and rear.

- I also like the Colt P/N: 62249 and the M4 version. My favorite for the money. I purchased a few which I keep in the original packaging years ago, and keep some mounted on M4s with the USGI Web Sling Adapter. Or you can use paracord, but I prefer the adapter. The older Vietnam era slings are great and the Israeli Slings are great.

- SPECOPS Sling 101 CQB My favorite multipurpose. have had several (military surplus) for years and they are great with tons of options to adjust for M16/M4 types. It's a single to double setup. Affordable and reliable.

3. I buy directly from BFG or LGS to save shipping. They seem pretty common at LGS but most carry Magpul now. Magpul is too expensive and bulky for me.

I brait cord, and have a jig to make a paracord sling. It takes about 200 feet to make a XL sling, 160 for a Medium. I also have marine grade stainless mash hook rings, and high end mash hooks, that I use to make a convertible single to two point para sling. I love them but they are heavy and ideal for pack rifles. If you would like an image of my sling design, jig, and a stainless ring, PM me. BFG Vickers ONE is my favorite minimalist sling with the most capability. They go on sale once a year and that's when I would get as many as I needed to outfit all my carbines and save shipping.

Bodhisattva05X
06-19-20, 23:33
Can’t go wrong with the VCAS slings. Lately I’ve been using the Magpul MS1 on two newer rifles and a shotgun. Very pleased with them

boss_hawg
06-20-20, 09:07
I’m really digging these two SOB b-slings. I ordered one with the mash hook and one with the hk clip. I put the mash hook version on an AK because the hk (clash) clip can come undone accidentally with the standard AK sling mount.

I thought I would hate the tail but it’s really a non-issue. I don’t even use the velcro retainer unless I’m storing the rifle.

These slings are great for the range of adjustment. You can cinch the rifle tight to your body to the point of it being uncomfortable. You can also loosen way out for shoulder transitions. This sling is superior in that regards to the BFG. Also the ladderloc / cam is always in the same place - you never have to search to find it. As highlighted in his (Shrek) video, this sling is very quick to transition from retention to shooting.

Anyway the b-sling is very good. Not sure if it’ll fully replace the VCAS for me (the padded version is just so comfy) but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it for the above reasons.

Walrus108
06-20-20, 10:07
http://www.spectergear.com/
I've tried a bunch. Most of the ones recommend are great. Specter's is at least as good if not better than any you can buy. They are also less expensive. I highly recommend them!

Trihonda
06-20-20, 10:20
Went with the Vickers 221. Here: https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-combat-applications-sling-2-to-1.html

I have A feeling this won’t be my last sling.

Thanks for all the advice.

mrbieler
06-20-20, 10:42
Out of curiosity, has anyone handled the Raine Inc sling? It's the same NSN # as the VCAS, 1005-01-604-0627, but appears to be a nylon material and uses a pull loop vs a pull tab. I still use my discontinued Emdom Gunslingers, but have been looking at the SOB B-Sling lately. I didn't care for the padded VCAS and liked the wide strap of the Emdom.

boss_hawg
06-20-20, 11:37
Out of curiosity, has anyone handled the Raine Inc sling? It's the same NSN # as the VCAS, 1005-01-604-0627, but appears to be a nylon material and uses a pull loop vs a pull tab. I still use my discontinued Emdom Gunslingers, but have been looking at the SOB B-Sling lately. I didn't care for the padded VCAS and liked the wide strap of the Emdom.

On their webpage, it says that the sling is licensed to Raine by Savvy Sniper.

So it’s a Savvy Sniper Sling.

Some people swear by them but I’ve never tried one.

davidjinks
06-22-20, 20:09
Blue force gear, VCAS sling. I buy directly from Blue force.

At work, I've used a single point bungee thing I can't stand (with a mash hook). My new BCM Reccee MCMR 11.5 has a number of QD options.

Thanks.

joedirt199
06-24-20, 02:17
I have made several proctor style adjustable slings from webbing and sliders from strapworks. No loose tabs or extra slides, just sewn ends with paracord attachments plus I can pick my webbing width and material.

mark5pt56
06-24-20, 07:19
I was told long ago and didn't always heed the advise, slings aren't rocket science. I've seen so many variations of slings through the years and most are peddled for range kata and profit.

Trihonda
06-30-20, 13:00
Went with the Vickers 221. Here: https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-combat-applications-sling-2-to-1.html

Ordered direct from BFG, with the standard cOvid shipping delay warning. They did allude that shipping should not be more than a week. Well. After a week or so I msgd them and they replied that the sling might be ready to ship around 3 weeks from order date. Ugh. There were slings sold out, but this sling showed in stock.

I feel happy I can get the sling I want, and understand (and acknowledge) some delay. But not gonna lie, I was hoping to have the sling sooner. :(

Sid Post
07-01-20, 11:01

I feel happy I can get the sling I want, and understand (and acknowledge) some delay. But not gonna lie, I was hoping to have the sling sooner. :(

Covid and Riot panic buying is causing all sorts of problems for all businesses, even in unexpected ways with unexpected products.

Paying workers more on welfare than they earn working also isn't helping. :mad:

Trihonda
07-15-20, 08:51

Covid and Riot panic buying is causing all sorts of problems for all businesses, even in unexpected ways with unexpected products.

Paying workers more on welfare than they earn working also isn't helping. :mad:

Well. It’s well past the date I was told my sling would ship. I’ve emailed BFG back a couple of times with no reply. I about to call them...