PDA

View Full Version : Could it be more than the mag?

Veracity
11-25-08, 18:22
Gentlemen,

At the range last week, I had a strange thing happen that I figured was mag related. Please let me know if you think otherwise. The real question comes at the end of this relatively boring set up.

I inserted a USGI mag w/Magpul follower & a good spring into my 6920. I racked the charging handle and the bolt face got sort of hung up midway over the magazine. It picked up the round, but didn't drive it home.

Although I did not do a lot of shooting, the problem did repeat later that day, but with only with that one mag. No other problems.

Just today I was testing out several preban USGIs (I'm a New Yorker) that I had set aside because they weren't 100%. They had very slight depressions on their feed lips.

I put 20 or so rounds in each and figured I'd rack the charging handle till the mag was empty. (I put new springs/followers in for the test.)

Most of the mags caused the bolt face to stop "mid mag." Ok, so they're no good.

Here's the question:

Is racking the charging handle less effective in cycling the BCG than firing the rifle is?

The reason I ask is that I felt like I wasn't racking the handle consistently. Sometimes I'd get it to cycle even though I knew I hadn't pulled it back as far as the previous pull.

I then pulled the mag out and just concentrated on cycling it. Although I'd never ride the handle, I did experiment with trying to hold back the spring tension so that the bolt moved very slowly forward. As I did , I noticed that it wasn't perfectly smooth...like I expected it to be. There were two places where the resistance was greater.

Anyway, as you can tell, I'm really new, so don't tear me up too bad!

Saginaw79
11-25-08, 18:33
Yes, its best to test while shooting though doing it manually can give you and idea of potential problems, but find out by shooting first

cpekz
11-25-08, 18:39
I have had that happen to me a few times when riding the bolt forward instead of releasing it at it's most rearward position. I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary. It seems without enough force pushing the round it will sometimes get hung up on the feed lips of the magazine. All you have to do is pull the charging handle back again and release it, and that should drive it home.

CarlosDJackal
11-26-08, 12:07
My first impression is there is you either have a weak Buffer Spring or your Receiver Extension (tube) is loose.

Veracity
11-26-08, 13:43
My first impression is there is you either have a weak Buffer Spring or your Receiver Extension (tube) is loose.

Anything is possible...but the spring came with the Colt NIB and it's only got maybe 250 rounds on it.

I'll check the tube later today.

Thanks.