PDA

View Full Version : Duty rifle setup

tanktop
06-07-20, 22:02
I’m not new to AR’s but I’d classify myself as a fanboy hobbyist at best. I’ve built a half dozen based on Spikes, PSA/FN, Noveske and PWS, Geissele and BCM parts with rifles more accurate than the ammo or shooter. From a bench I can make a ragged hole but I’m probably useless in any real world situation and still occasionally fumble with basic weapon manipulation. That said a class or two will do more than any question I’m about to ask but I’m looking for some basic information.

I bought a LMT Defender carbine with fixed front sight and LMT rear adjustable sight as I wanted an out of the box solid build that should do what’s asked of it. It does have a couple things that I’m not thrilled about and want to fix.

The basic GI hand guard and stock wobble a little, Will a Magpul slim stock and hand guard solve this or do I need a C4 or KAC RAS for a rock solid feel? Personally I think I’d prefer a slimmer lighter setup but I hate rattles even if they have to effect on usefulness.

I also think I want a RDS 1/3 co witness for fast acquisition but I know the LMT rear sight is very high quality. I want to be able to practice with irons out to longer distances but will it interfere with the RDS? Possibly get a KAC 600m flip up rear?

RDS’s I’m considering are the MRO, Patrol Pro or Comp M5.

I want a KISS rifle that I can depend on to do whatever I need it to. Carbine classes are scheduled.... The last couple months have taken everyone off guard and I never thought this hobby would play out in real life and still pray it doesn’t... this sucks!

PracticalRifleman
06-07-20, 22:08
You are focusing on the wrong things. Don’t worry about things like stock wobble, so on and so forth. You need to focus on skills including but not limited to, weapon manipulation, sight alignment, trigger press, position, follow-through, etc.

Spend your money on training, ammunition, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sid Post
06-07-20, 22:46
You are focusing on the wrong things. Don’t worry about things like stock wobble, so on and so forth. You need to focus on skills including but not limited to, weapon manipulation, sight alignment, trigger press, position, follow-through, etc.

Spend your money on training, ammunition, etc.

:agree:

If minor stock and handguard wobble are bothering you, you are focused on the wrong things IMHO. What are you going to do if the upper and lower don't mesh perfectly?

If you really want a SHTF rifle for RIOTS, famines, etc., your LMT is ready right now.

That being said, Sionics, SOLGW, Centurion Arms all will take care of the issues you noted with a new upper and SOPMOD stock.

Personally, I have had a pretty good collection of various AR-15's and uppers over the years. More is not better and cheaper 'is not value!". In my case, I have run Alexander Arms Grendel, LWRC Six8, LMT MRP, and a bunch of others of much lesser pedigree and reputation.

Today my KAC SR-15 LPR is the one that is always within arms reach. I can simply do things with that rifle that I cannot do with my others. It doesn't have the best optic but, in my hands, I hit stuff with it that I routinely missed with other "premium" rifles. And I'm not talking group size but, things like dogs running at full speed at ~30 yards and similar dynamic shots. Of course, it groups like a benchrest rifle if you want to punch paper for small groups.

If that rifle was "lost" for whatever reason, I would sell firearms until I had enough cash to replace it. My backup or second rifle in the works is going to be a similar quality lightweight 14"~16" upper with an LMT MARS lower.

Personally, I need Picatinny on the rail for a Thermal Scope :cool: but, that heavy sucker only sees 'special occasion' use against feral hogs at night. A monolithic upper is helpful here but, a quality upper and rail works well in this role.

Before I would spend the money on adding a railed forearm to an LMT upper, I would buy a new upper with the rail already on it. A high-quality rail, installation, and shipping will pay for most of a new high quality upper. Move the BCG and sights over and you are done.

A lightweight Sionics or SOLGW upper is a good place to start. Centurion Arms and KAC are awesome choices as well but, the price is creeping up there and cutting into your training and ammo budget. ;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?223583-Lightweight-14-5-quot-16-0-quot-upper

Woollymonster
06-07-20, 22:49
No idea about the stock. I usually prefer one that gives me a little bit of a cheek weld.

1/3 co-witness will work great with red dots. I have been running 2 Comp m4's, and a T2 for many years.

Sid Post
06-07-20, 22:52
FWIW, the Sionics 16" upper with BCG is ~$700 plus S&H to my door. The Sionics SWAMP FOX lightweight 14.7" with BCG is ~$830 plus S&H.

tanktop
06-07-20, 22:59
Thanks for all the responses. I bought a LMT carbine patrol rifle, thelling about that another bun setup will do better doesn’t answer any of my questions. With a magpul hand gaurd fit tight and not rattle?

As for 1/3 cowitness will a fixed rear sight work well or it is better the have a folding rear sight?

I’m not drunk but Siri speech to text is

Sid Post
06-07-20, 22:59
No idea about the stock. I usually prefer one that gives me a little bit of a cheek weld.

1/3 co-witness will work great with red dots. I have been running 2 Comp m4's, and a T2 for many years.

A SOPMOD stock isn't too expensive and to me is VASTLY superior to an M4 collapsible buttstock.

UBR's and various common Magpul options seem to be mostly personal preference.

Definitely 1/3 Co-Witness is what I would use for a red dot with Aimpoint being the preferred brand. For close shots (i.e. red dot range up to contact) the red dot works best but, longer-range still allows the use of good irons. KAC and Scaler are both solid options though, a bit pricey and hard on the training budget.

tanktop
06-07-20, 23:12
What I’ve red dot is best suited to handle a lower 1/3 co witness. I’m guessing that as cool as a T-1 or H-1 is they’re too small to accommodate irons.

marco.g
06-07-20, 23:56
A new stock may not take care of the wobble. The tube on my colt is tighter than the LMT on another lower. You learn to live with it.

A MOE handguard could help with mounting a light or sling, both pretty important.

R0CKETMAN
06-08-20, 04:58
- centurion will clamp to your existing bbl nut and is solid kit

- assuming it’s the stock and not the RE....yeah a magpul SL would work and I bet a tighter fit. It’s got some internal anti rattle shit.

- Those sights are heavy, but built like a tank. I would run them first.

- RDS on a duty gun? Aimpoint

grizzlyblake
06-08-20, 07:17
Thanks for all the responses. I bought a LMT carbine patrol rifle, thelling about that another bun setup will do better doesn’t answer any of my questions. With a magpul hand gaurd fit tight and not rattle?

As for 1/3 cowitness will a fixed rear sight work well or it is better the have a folding rear sight?

I’m not drunk but Siri speech to text is

I would try a regular Magpul MOE handguard (not slimline) and a Magpul CTR stock since it has the locking cam that should eliminate all stock movement.

Sid Post
06-08-20, 07:33
What I’ve red dot is best suited to handle a lower 1/3 co witness. I’m guessing that as cool as a T-1 or H-1 is they’re too small to accommodate irons.

Red Dot size and being 1/3 Co-Witness is not that hard to find. It is a mount height problem, not a tube or optic size issue within reason.

Scalerworks LEAP mount and Aimpoint Pro (https://scalarworks.com/shop/quick-detach-mounts/leap-02/)

A cheap Vortex RDS will 1/3 Co-Witness for ~$100.

tanktop
06-08-20, 08:16
:agree:

If minor stock and handguard wobble are bothering you, you are focused on the wrong things IMHO. What are you going to do if the upper and lower don't mesh perfectly?

If you really want a SHTF rifle for RIOTS, famines, etc., your LMT is ready right now.

That being said, Sionics, SOLGW, Centurion Arms all will take care of the issues you noted with a new upper and SOPMOD stock.

Personally, I have had a pretty good collection of various AR-15's and uppers over the years. More is not better and cheaper 'is not value!". In my case, I have run Alexander Arms Grendel, LWRC Six8, LMT MRP, and a bunch of others of much lesser pedigree and reputation.

Today my KAC SR-15 LPR is the one that is always within arms reach. I can simply do things with that rifle that I cannot do with my others. It doesn't have the best optic but, in my hands, I hit stuff with it that I routinely missed with other "premium" rifles. And I'm not talking group size but, things like dogs running at full speed at ~30 yards and similar dynamic shots. Of course, it groups like a benchrest rifle if you want to punch paper for small groups.

If that rifle was "lost" for whatever reason, I would sell firearms until I had enough cash to replace it. My backup or second rifle in the works is going to be a similar quality lightweight 14"~16" upper with an LMT MARS lower.

Personally, I need Picatinny on the rail for a Thermal Scope :cool: but, that heavy sucker only sees 'special occasion' use against feral hogs at night. A monolithic upper is helpful here but, a quality upper and rail works well in this role.

Before I would spend the money on adding a railed forearm to an LMT upper, I would buy a new upper with the rail already on it. A high-quality rail, installation, and shipping will pay for most of a new high quality upper. Move the BCG and sights over and you are done.

A lightweight Sionics or SOLGW upper is a good place to start. Centurion Arms and KAC are awesome choices as well but, the price is creeping up there and cutting into your training and ammo budget. ;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?223583-Lightweight-14-5-quot-16-0-quot-upper

Stock and hand guard wobble is just an annoyance, but I’d also like a slimmer rifle. GI hand guards or quad rails don’t feel comfortable to me.

You mentioned SOLGW, Sionics and a couple others, why? I have cool AR’s, free floated with all the cool kid stuff too but are you suggesting they function better than an LMT? A non free floated carbine is used in combat about 1,000,000/1 over all the cool stuff we play with here in the states and LMT is a producer of those. In fact the one I bought is an overrun from a military contract. I’d take a Sionics, KAC or BCM any day as a patrol rifle I just chose the LMT because it’s good enough.

I really just want to know if the magpul stuff is a snug fit and how big of a red dot I need to cowitness with that big fat LMT rear sight?

I apologize if I came across a little harsh...

officerX
06-08-20, 10:29
I'd get a Magpul SL handguard and CTR stock. Should fix your complaints.

MountainRaven
06-08-20, 12:52
MOE SL handguard, MOE SL stock, put the Aimpoint or MRO in a quality RTZ QD mount (like the Scalarworks mentioned earlier). Make sure you have a quality high lumen weapon light and a good sling.

If stuff still wiggles, I guess that's just tough titties, unless you want to buy a whole new gun and gamble on it not having the same "problem".

26 Inf
06-08-20, 15:17
I really just want to know if the magpul stuff is a snug fit and how big of a red dot I need to cowitness with that big fat LMT rear sight?

I apologize if I came across a little harsh...

Not harsh, the further from the OP the answers are, the less relevant many of the answers actually are. Kind of like if I was on a Ford forum asking for advice on how to improve the brakes on my Focus, within three posts someone is telling me I need a Roush Mustang.

I have two rifles with MOE handguards, one with MOE SL, and three with 'GI' types - the Magpuls are very solid, much more solid than two of the GI's, the third GI rfile is a White Oak Service Rifle upper, so it has a free float tube under the hand guards, they are solid.

AS for the stock, I've never had a CTR, so can't speak to it. I do have a Roger's Super Stock on a beater rifle, I cut the top sling mount off and smoothed it out with wet and dry sandpaper, it locks up tight. Standard GI dimensions.

https://www.rogersshootingschool.com/products/superstoc.php ($37.00 FDE) (best description of the stock)

https://ar15discounts.com/products/rogers-super-stoc-deluxe-carbine-buttstock-w-build-in-qd-base/ ($39.95 both Black and FDE)

https://www.opticsplanet.com/wilson-combat-rogers-super-stoc-black-tr-superstoc.html ($54.00 but, it apparently says Wilson Combat on it. LOL

As far as the red dot goes, I'd roll with an Aimpoint PRO. It absolute co-witnesses out of the box, the two MOA dot isn't a hindrance, IMO.

I also am a fan of the Vortex Spitfire, which is an etched reticle, prism optic - you have the reticle with or without the battery. Battery life is 3,000 on lowest setting, which is good enough for me in low light, or darkness, during daylight I turn it off and use the black reticle. I believe the center dot is 3moa, but don't quoted me. I like the DRT reticle. It also absolute co-witnesses.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-spitfire-ar-1x-prism-scope.html

georgeib
06-09-20, 05:25
The Magpul SL stock and extended Magpul SL handguard are a very tight and wobble free fit in my experience with them. I have 2 of the stocks and one midlength version of the handguard. The handguard is very solid indeed, and I would buy another in a heartbeat. Only downside is that it requires removal of the front sling swivel.

Straight Shooter
06-09-20, 09:02
Bought my LMT Defender about a year or more before the Kenyan first got elected.
Came with 6 Lancer mags and a couple hundred rounds of ammo.
Shot the rifle several hundred rounds before I did anything else. HAD to overcome the only two complaints I have had with the rifle-
severely overgassed & the trigger. The trigger was terrible- easily bottomed out my 10lb gauge. So, installed a Velocity 4lb..never looked back.
As to the overgassing-installed a RED Sprinco recoil spring, VG6 muzzle brake, and replaced the semi bolt carrier with a full auto.
The rifle is literally dead smooth, very very fast on follow up shots.
Added a Midwest Ind. free float quad rail. Mine came with the excellent SOPMOD stock. You can get a copycat B5 cheap now. Or the Magpul CTR I think it is, that clamps down for no wobble.
The LMT rear sight is superb, dead nuts reliable. Mine also has had a Steiner PXi 1x4 on it for a long time now. Wonderful optic.
Ive run so many different magazines thru this gun, I cant name them all. Theyve all run/dropped free/locked back 100%.
The rifle is absolutely dead nuts reliable.
Youve got a fine rifle- the barrels are cryo treated also- and thru many many thousands of rounds mine is as accurate as ever.
Absolutely put on a FF handrail, get a good trigger, some kinda good optic, reliable mags and shoot hell out of it.

Sid Post
06-09-20, 09:59
Stock and hand guard wobble is just an annoyance, but I’d also like a slimmer rifle. GI hand guards or quad rails don’t feel comfortable to me.

I find the new generation MLOK rails to be comfortable (no rail panels needed) and most of them are relatively slim compared to Picatinny rails so, they fit my medium glove size hands very comfortably.

Minor stock M4 stock wobble goes away for me when I put it on my shoulder. Annoying? Yes. Functionally deficient? Not really.

Double heat-guard M4 handguards do not fit my hand terribly well but, I'm also not loading a ton of lasers, lights, etc. weighing it down so, I don't need the larger area to keep from putting pressure in my hand and digging in. I also don't have the Full-Auto selector position so barrel heat isn't typically an issue I worry about when I don't have gloves on.

You mentioned SOLGW, Sionics and a couple others, why? I have cool AR’s, free floated with all the cool kid stuff too but are you suggesting they function better than an LMT? A non free floated carbine is used in combat about 1,000,000/1 over all the cool stuff we play with here in the states and LMT is a producer of those. In fact the one I bought is an overrun from a military contract. I’d take a Sionics, KAC or BCM any day as a patrol rifle I just chose the LMT because it’s good enough.

Economics: a lot of modern rail options are a ~$300 option and require a special tool to install at extra cost. Now add shipping the cost and it is even more. With a new quality upper without a second BCG or sights or charging handle, you are running ~$700 for even the 'better' duty rifle uppers. In my case, a SOLGW model which is at the upper end of the price range is ~$730 with a 15" MLOK rail and a barrel without a Grenade Launcher notch. Personally I find this type of barrel to be one of the main reasons NOT to get a M4 style upper because the barrel is thin near the breach heavy at the muzzle with a thin section past the front sight post. Plus, I like the balance and weight distribution better on a barrel with that profile and find it 'swings' better in a dynamic shooting environment (i.e. swing to track a moving a target or quick movement for multiple targets - hogs and dogs).

I'm not wearing a military uniform so, do I really need a rifle optimized for the military? Maybe a rifle optimized for civilian defensive use would be better?

Small ones will essentially 'picture window' the rear sight and larger ones give you a much larger field of view. For me, FOV is important without a lot of bulk and I like the "horseshoe of death" reticle for faster reaction shots closer in so, that is where I focus. Aimpoint is used by US DOD extensively for a good reason. Something like an Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) is a really good place to start looking though there are other really good options.

Sid Post
06-09-20, 11:16
...within three posts someone is telling me I need a Roush Mustang.

If the Roush Mustang was only ~$500 more than the Focus, I'd appreciate someone at least mentioning it as an option! :)

As far as the red dot goes, I'd roll with an Aimpoint PRO. It absolute co-witnesses out of the box, the two MOA dot isn't a hindrance, IMO.

I also am a fan of the Vortex Spitfire, which is an etched reticle, prism optic - you have the reticle with or without the battery. Battery life is 3,000 on lowest setting, which is good enough for me in low light, or darkness, during daylight I turn it off and use the black reticle. I believe the center dot is 3moa, but don't quoted me. I like the DRT reticle. It also absolute co-witnesses.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-spitfire-ar-1x-prism-scope.html

With modern red dots battery efficiencies, it has become much less of a concern for me as batteries are cheap so I think of replacing them often like putting gas in my car.

Etched reticles have their place though in many applications and scenarios. Whether any of those matter to you is a different topic.

Regarding the Vortex versus Aimpoint, Ford Focus versus Roush Mustang analogy, if you can't drive one there is no real choice between the two. Many of the Vortex options are unusable to me with my corrective lens glasses where similar Aimpoints are. So, even though the Aimpoint is super expensive in comparison, it is by far the better choice for me.

That being said, the few Vortex RDS style options I own work well in their application.

Regarding reticles, the 'horseshoes' and various 'circles of death' are as much a personal preference as anything. Most people can use most of them effectively with minimal training and familiarity.

In a CQB and Urban Defense rifle, I'll spend the money for a Scalarworks Aimpoint over a better quality barrel or Geissle trigger because the priority is bullets on the correct target fast, not group size or long-range precision. I still prefer a slim MLOK rail though. ;)

Light options are a whole different topic ....

Five_Point_Five_Six
06-09-20, 12:10
I bought a LMT Defender carbine with fixed front sight and LMT rear adjustable sight as I wanted an out of the box solid build that should do what’s asked of it. It does have a couple things that I’m not thrilled about and want to fix.

The basic GI hand guard and stock wobble a little, Will a Magpul slim stock and hand guard solve this or do I need a C4 or KAC RAS for a rock solid feel? Personally I think I’d prefer a slimmer lighter setup but I hate rattles even if they have to effect on usefulness.

First off, congrats on a GREAT rifle choice. The LMT Defender is a solid rifle that will last you a long time. The basic M4 stock and handguards are pretty, well, basic and most people swap them out unless they're cloning something. I don't care for Magpul stocks, just personal preference, but their MOE and SL handguards do fit nice and snug and don't wobble. The tightest stock to receiver extension fit that I've found is the LMT/B5 SOPMOD or VLTOR Mod/iMod stock.

The T1/H1 are great optics and there is no problem using them on a lower 1/3 mount with BUIS. My preferred setup is an Aimpoint micro T1/H1, fixed FSB, and a folding rear out of the way until I need it.

tanktop
06-09-20, 14:16
Thanks for all the replies, lots of great info from everyone! I think I’m still leaning towards the skinny magpul stuff, mostly ergonomics and I don’t plan on hanging much from it other than a sling. Also think I’m leaning towards the PRO or MRO, scalarworks look awesome but is there no love for LaRue? Later I will probably get rid of the rear LMT in favor of a flip up 600m sight I can practice medium range with.

Five_Point_Five_Six
06-09-20, 15:19
Thanks for all the replies, lots of great info from everyone! I think I’m still leaning towards the skinny magpul stuff, mostly ergonomics and I don’t plan on hanging much from it other than a sling. Also think I’m leaning towards the PRO or MRO, scalarworks look awesome but is there no love for LaRue? Later I will probably get rid of the rear LMT in favor of a flip up 600m sight I can practice medium range with.

Two of my Aimpoint micros are still in LaRue LT660 lower 1/3 mounts and they'll stay there unless the mount breaks. One is well over a decade old. My top 3 QD Aimpoint micro mounts are Scalarworks, ADM, and LaRue. Give me any of those 3 mounts and I'm happy.

Since the Scalarworks mounts hit the scene, that's what I've purchased for any new micro optic that I've purchased. I replaced the factory Aimpoint mount on my CompM2 with their 30mm mount as well. The Scalarworks mount is lighter, and returns to zero as well as I'm able to shoot and confirm if you need to remove the optic for whatever reason. The LaRue mounts need a few clicks here or there to dial the windage back in, at least in my experience.

Fatt Tony
06-09-20, 22:24
I have magpul sl handgaurds on my sionics 16” upper and on my bcm 11.5 and they do not move, very tight fitting. They are a bitch to put on without that delta ring tool thing but doable. Both of them are my “I wanted quality on a budget” uppers.

tanktop
06-10-20, 17:32
Ran some PPU 55gr through it, 5” 30 round group off a backpack using the LMT irons. I’m sure the rifle’s capable of much better and I could cut those groups in half with a little practice. Surprisingly good shooter, this thing really doesn’t “need” anything. The Aimpoint pro is probably the winner, may as well get a red dot that I can still use the irons with primarily.

26 Inf
06-12-20, 11:27
If the Roush Mustang was only ~$500 more than the Focus, I'd appreciate someone at least mentioning it as an option! :)

Well, you have a point. But as a counter-point your driving skills have to be such that a Roush is warranted. Then you have to have someplace to air it out. If not you've just wasted $50,000 on badges and windshield banners. :cool:

Of course, as you mentioned, the comparison is apples to oranges in the current discussion. I guess my beef is with reading comprehension, invariably if someone lays out a price point they need to stay under, invariably someone, usually many, tells them to buy something double the cost. That isn't very helpful from my point of view. Which was kinda my point.

With modern red dots battery efficiencies, it has become much less of a concern for me as batteries are cheap so I think of replacing them often like putting gas in my car.

Etched reticles have their place though in many applications and scenarios. Whether any of those matter to you is a different topic.

Regarding the Vortex versus Aimpoint, Ford Focus versus Roush Mustang analogy, if you can't drive one there is no real choice between the two. Many of the Vortex options are unusable to me with my corrective lens glasses where similar Aimpoints are. So, even though the Aimpoint is super expensive in comparison, it is by far the better choice for me.

I mentioned battery life because my PRO resides on an HD rifle. I found that even though the Vortex Spitfire gives me a sharper dot the reticle has to be powered-up for anticipated use on an HD rifle. So I go with the PRO.

My vision problems may, or may not, be unique to the forum. I have/had slight astigmatism. I also had to have cataract surgery in my forties due to some meds I was taking which caused cataracts. When you have cataract surgery they give you a choice of the vision you want - essentially near or far - since the lens they put in to replace your clouded ones are fixed focus.

The etched reticle prismatic sights offer me a sight picture that is crisp, unlike the dots. I'm surprised you have problems with them.

J-Dub
06-12-20, 21:13
My duty rifle wears a DD fixed rear sight, A2 front, and aimpoint pro in a adm mount (lower 1/3).

Works well for me. (Bcm 14.5 lwt upper / centurion arms lower / larue mbt trigger, magpul furniture).

MistWolf
06-13-20, 09:00
The basic GI hand guard and stock wobble a little, Will a Magpul slim stock and hand guard solve this or do I need a C4 or KAC RAS for a rock solid feel?...
The MagPul Slimline handguards lock in tight with no rattles

I also think I want a RDS 1/3 co witness for fast acquisition but I know the LMT rear sight is very high quality. I want to be able to practice with irons out to longer distances but will it interfere with the RDS? Possibly get a KAC 600m flip up rear?
1/3 lower co-witness is a good choice with iron sights. When the dot is put in the center of the field of view, it's above the front sight so you can see more. The KAC is my favorite BUIS

RDS’s I’m considering are the MRO, Patrol Pro or Comp M5.
I have a couple different Aimpoint micros, an M4s, a Primary Arms Advanced micro and a Sig Romeo 5. The Primary Arms works well enough, the Romeo 5 is a better value and works surprisingly well but the Aimpoints have clearly superior optics.

Colt with Aimpoint H1, Slimline hanguards and SL stock. Grip is a BCM Gunfighter
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KVF2r4M/0/dfff8ce3/X5/i-KVF2r4M-X5.jpg

AndyLate
06-13-20, 09:32
I'd get a Magpul SL handguard and CTR stock. Should fix your complaints.

First, congrats on your LMT. I basically assembled a 14.5 Defender by buying a complete upper and then a complete lower. I have a drop in pic rail on mine, which is not slim at all. For what it's worth, mine has a folding rear sight and AP Pro.

I absolutely agree with officerX, the CTR is my favorite stock, they lock on tight and solid plus are a little lighter than the SL stock. The SL handguard will give you a little more length and be slimmer - bonus.

Free float rails are great, but there is no benefit if you are running a red dot, certainly the return on investment is low for your stated use.

My lower came with a standard carbine buffer but runs perfectly and smoother with an H2. If yours has a standard (unmarked) buffer, I would recommend swapping in an H2. If it came with an H1 buffer, I would just run it.

Andy

tanktop
06-14-20, 22:36
First, congrats on your LMT. I basically assembled a 14.5 Defender by buying a complete upper and then a complete lower. I have a drop in pic rail on mine, which is not slim at all. For what it's worth, mine has a folding rear sight and AP Pro.

I absolutely agree with officerX, the CTR is my favorite stock, they lock on tight and solid plus are a little lighter than the SL stock. The SL handguard will give you a little more length and be slimmer - bonus.

Free float rails are great, but there is no benefit if you are running a red dot, certainly the return on investment is low for your stated use.

My lower came with a standard carbine buffer but runs perfectly and smoother with an H2. If yours has a standard (unmarked) buffer, I would recommend swapping in an H2. If it came with an H1 buffer, I would just run it.

Andy

Thanks for your input. I’ve built a half dozen AR’s, the smoothest shooting has an A5 buffer tube, NP3 coated BCG a 16” gunner profile barrel with a JP brake, this LMT is a close second. This LMT has a standard buffer, semi auto carrier, 16” barrel and A2 birdcage. My guess is they got the gas port correct for the setup, I don’t plan to mess with it other than their enhanced bolt due to harder abuse from the carbine gas system. It also has no spring twang, perhaps it’s the dry lubed buffer but I thought it was only the outside?

It’ll be for things that go bump in the night, figured a duty rifle setup was the way to go. Aimpoint Pro will be added soon and some quality ammo, furniture will be later. I’m guessing if I ever need it I won’t notice which stock or hand guard it has.

fred
06-18-20, 03:33
Thanks for your input. I’ve built a half dozen AR’s, the smoothest shooting has an A5 buffer tube, NP3 coated BCG a 16” gunner profile barrel with a JP brake, this LMT is a close second. This LMT has a standard buffer, semi auto carrier, 16” barrel and A2 birdcage. My guess is they got the gas port correct for the setup, I don’t plan to mess with it other than their enhanced bolt due to harder abuse from the carbine gas system. It also has no spring twang, perhaps it’s the dry lubed buffer but I thought it was only the outside?

It’ll be for things that go bump in the night, figured a duty rifle setup was the way to go. Aimpoint Pro will be added soon and some quality ammo, furniture will be later. I’m guessing if I ever need it I won’t notice which stock or hand guard it has.

A fine choice. I might suggest a light, every duty rifle should have one for things that go bump in the night. My LMT came with the SOPMOD and my other rifle at the time had the early VLTOR which was a little more streamlined if I remember correctly.

My latest duty rifle is a 11.5" with the BUIS lower 1/3 to a PRO, and a VTAC sling. It has the snap on rail (Knights I think) with a VTAC Scout Light; I used to have a well-used Surefire M500 that I really liked (standardize GI-feeling hand guards with a light in a molded-in mount) but went to our version of a DMR and gave that rifle up.

The Aimpoint PRO will never let you down. Have fun shooting, hope you never "need it!"

tanktop
06-18-20, 11:45
A fine choice. I might suggest a light, every duty rifle should have one for things that go bump in the night. My LMT came with the SOPMOD and my other rifle at the time had the early VLTOR which was a little more streamlined if I remember correctly.

My latest duty rifle is a 11.5" with the BUIS lower 1/3 to a PRO, and a VTAC sling. It has the snap on rail (Knights I think) with a VTAC Scout Light; I used to have a well-used Surefire M500 that I really liked (standardize GI-feeling hand guards with a light in a molded-in mount) but went to our version of a DMR and gave that rifle up.

The Aimpoint PRO will never let you down. Have fun shooting, hope you never "need it!"

Thanks for the input. Now need to find an Aimpoint Pro, I hate retail pricing.

I’ve been building these for fun for years, ten times more experience building than shooting, 60 hour a week job and kids. That’s why I decided on an off the shelf patrol style rifle rather than what should be a reliable build but maybe not. I’m in my 40s now and I haven’t shot anyone yet, I really plan on keeping up the trend

1986s4
06-18-20, 12:56
I have a LMT and Colt waffle/M4 type stock and the LMT version is tighter on all buffer tubes I've tried. I have heard that the Rogers stock is wobble free but I've never tried one myself. I have a Magpul SL handguard on my favorite carbine and I really like it. Absolutely tight, wobble free and feels good in the hand. I used to have a Aimpoint Pro until I sold it due to my old eyes and astigmatism. I think I had it for 5 years before I replaced the batteries and that was due to me just not wanting them to leak due to age and heat. I can shoot irons at range more accurately than a plain red dot. I have not tried an etched reticle

Stickman
06-18-20, 13:39
I probably missed it, but are we talking about a department carried weapon for patrol duties? Or are we talking more the generic concept of a duty weapon?

tanktop
06-18-20, 14:19
I probably missed it, but are we talking about a department carried weapon for patrol duties? Or are we talking more the generic concept of a duty weapon?

Generic, Just figured that would be a solid form factor to follow for things that go bump in the night. Something that’s simple and ready when needed that I don’t need to monkey with.

elpotro
06-19-20, 22:35
Thanks for the input. Now need to find an Aimpoint Pro, I hate retail pricing.

I’ve been building these for fun for years, ten times more experience building than shooting, 60 hour a week job and kids. That’s why I decided on an off the shelf patrol style rifle rather than what should be a reliable build but maybe not. I’m in my 40s now and I haven’t shot anyone yet, I really plan on keeping up the trend

Training is where the investment needs to be. I love my eotech... it seems like it is not loved here but I love it. I have an MRO that I also love and I regret selling my Aimpoint pro... I make sure that I train with all three to the point that I am proficient. I have an eotech on my to go rifle though... but my truck gun has an MRO.

Core781
06-19-20, 23:35
The hand-guard moves a bit as it's linked between the delta ring and the hand guard cap which is tied to the gas tube: which is rugged as hell if it's a real military grade gas tube. This does not effect the barrel much and is very durable: durable enough for combat use. You can lightly tack weld the hand guard cap in place to resolve this movement. Unless you are running a 14.5" barrel like a SOCOM no need to install a RISII free float type hand guard. If you are running a medium to heavy 14.5" barrel or longer I do recommend getting a free floating hand guard/fore-end.

The LMT rear should co-witness lower 1/3rd with the RDS. Mount the RDS as close to it without interfering with operation so you get it as close to your eye as possible. LMT rears are some of the best. :cool: