PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Ban, Post Ban...does it matter to me now?

Glockster35
11-09-06, 19:02
As some of you may know, I am just building my first AR styled rifle.

I am not one to jump to the conclusion, that since the Democrats won the vote, that they will again vote to ban certain weapons, however; I am more of a realist and I do see there is a high probability for this to happen further in the future.

I have a lot done on it so far, but need to make sure I am building something I can keep.

So, I am looking for some answers to some questions I have about my build. I bought my lower receiver (Bushmaster, no stock, but fully assembled) earlier this year. It currently wears an A2 style stock!

1. Can I legally attach a collapsible buttstock to this? (M4 style)

2. Since, I have all the items needed to put the uppers on the lower, and make it a firing firearm, will this suffice for it being a pre-ban, if there is to be a new ban put in place in the future? (I could fire it right now if I wanted to)

3. I own several barrels, 2 are Colt 14.5" M4 barrels, both will have pinned compensators soon, one is a 20" A1 contour, and two are 20" A2 contour. One of the M4 barrels is mounted to a flattop, and one of the A2 barrels is mounted to an A2 upper.

4. If anything what should my next purchase be, in order to make sure I can keep this rifle and these barrel set ups in the future?

Here's a Pic
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/218228/Firearms/M4 pic.JPG

Edm
11-09-06, 20:29
I'll give it a shot:

1: yes you can put any stock you want on it as long as the state doesn't have a ban. And NC does not.

2. If the hypothetical new ban has a grandfather clause dating to the date on enactment then you will be fine. Last one did. Problem is, noone knows if the next one will.

3. I don't think this is a question.

4. I'd buy a lower for each upper.

LOKNLOD
11-09-06, 23:05
Really, don't worry about it. Pre-, Post-, etc. they are all No-Ban versions now. I would decide what you want, how you want it configured, and find ways to obtain that as soon as you can. There's really no way to tell what, if any, concessions/loopholes/grandfather clauses might be included in future bans. Maybe it's a total "turn 'em in" ban that includes ARs. Maybe they try to control ammo, or mags, or registration, or restrictive licensing, or insanely high taxes (imagine how much a $200 NFA tax stamp was in 1930's dollars).

Figure out what you want, and figure out how to get it...same as before...the only thing that might have changed is the urgency, and even that is speculation at this point.