PDA

View Full Version : The Forward Asssist - My Take from Historical Documents

Hartek
06-14-20, 23:25
I recently made a video about the forward assist using some rarely seen documents that makes a case against every popular argument in opposition to the forward assist. I think this should significantly help with removing the BS in discussing the forward assist and allow people to make a more informed judgment on whether or not to use it. I hope you guys enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhjU8InWxr0

FightinQ
06-14-20, 23:30
I honestly don't care what others think about it, both pro or negatives. Some of my rifles have them, some do not. My rifles, my money, my choice, that's all that actually matters to me.

OH58D
06-14-20, 23:53
My first weapon in the Army in 1978 was an M16a1. Used the FA on occasion. While flying in Central America in 1985-1985, I carried a well used XM177E2 in my aircraft. This weapon was at the end of it's life and had a strange habit of popping off two rounds or more even while in semi-auto. Sometimes towards the last few rounds on the 20 round mag, the bullet wouldn't seat properly and a couple of taps on the FA solved the problem.

26 Inf
06-15-20, 01:16
I voted overall good. I did watch 19:22 seconds of your video. I applaud the effort you put into it, but is it really that big of a deal?

Hartek
06-15-20, 01:48
I voted overall good. I did watch 19:22 seconds of your video. I applaud the effort you put into it, but is it really that big of a deal?
Thank you. I don't make it to be a big deal unless you think the video length is proportional to how big of a deal I make it. What is the bigger deal, I think, is how people use bad information about it and make things up about it to form a poor judgment about it. I criticize some professionals who should have done a better job when talking about it in various capacities and aspects since everyone seems to make the same mistakes about it. My intent is to just get rid of all the BS behind it so people can move on to a discussion founded in reality - not in fuddlore. What I think is the most interesting is that the more vocal someone appears to be about the forward assist, the more wrong they usually are.