PDA

View Full Version : Question Re: PWS Piston AR Pistol Acqquired in Trade

Leadslinger585
06-16-20, 05:56
Hey all,

I recently sold a rifle and as a partial trade picked up a Primary Weapons Systems MK 111 Pro pistol with an EO Tech 512.

I've been wanting to get into pistols for a while and this is my first. Took it out shooting twice, and I get the impression that the recoil is pretty different from the DI AR's I've shot. It's also heavy (not that I can't handle it, but I was just surprised at the weight). The EO Tech is cool, but with my astigmatism and the 1 MOA dot, it's not easy to get precise shots. I think I'm gonna have to look into 1-6 LPVO's with a dot and see how those do for my eyes. Anyway...

I'm wondering if I should keep rolling with the PWS piston AR or try to sell it and get something more in line of what I originally wanted (Centurion Arms or TriArc). I don't really see any benefit to the piston system. Maybe it might be better for running cheap shit like Wolf, but aside from that... (shrug) I don't see the appeal.

06-16-20, 07:38
Have you tried futzing with the gas? I’ve got a buddy with a 14.5” PWS, and its the smoothest shooting gun in our group. Probably because its a tank with with the .308 can, but I dunno. I’m pretty anti-piston, and its good enough its got me considering buying an upper from them.

Sry0fcr
06-16-20, 08:33
So you don't like it and it's not what you wanted? I don't understand this thread.

markm
06-16-20, 08:38
Sell it and get what you want.

georgeib
06-16-20, 09:08
Sell it and get what you want.This.

That said, I have a PWS mk116 mod 2, and I like it very much. In gas setting 1, it is definitely heavy on the gas, but in setting 2 it's perfect with brass cased ammo. And I mean perfect. Smooth and very light recoiling. Setting 3 is perfect for suppressed use.

Joe Mamma
06-16-20, 11:45
There are several different generations of PWS piston rifles. I think the earliest generation did not have an adjustable gas block, but all other generations do. I think the earliest generation is refereed to as a Mod 0.

Leadslinger585, I am actually a fan of the PWS piston guns. But if it's not for you, I vote for you to sell it.

Joe Mamma

Hank6046
06-16-20, 12:52
Leadslinger585, I am actually a fan of the PWS piston guns. But if it's not for you, I vote for you to sell it.

Agreed, I have a 14.5 PWS upper on an Aero lower. I love that rifle, the medium weight barrel is super accurate with cheap Wolf Gold. The FCS556 is the only thing I wish I could change out for something else, but over all it is my favorite beater. Having said that, I have shot a TriArc and they are nice, the Centurions are also great rifles, although I don't own either. Get what you want, and then train with it.

Leadslinger585
06-16-20, 16:03
So you don't like it and it's not what you wanted? I don't understand this thread.

No I'm explaining my experience and my thoughts with the pistol, then asking if there's something special I'm missing about piston guns.

Have you tried futzing with the gas? I’ve got a buddy with a 14.5” PWS, and its the smoothest shooting gun in our group. Probably because its a tank with with the .308 can, but I dunno. I’m pretty anti-piston, and its good enough its got me considering buying an upper from them.

This.

That said, I have a PWS mk116 mod 2, and I like it very much. In gas setting 1, it is definitely heavy on the gas, but in setting 2 it's perfect with brass cased ammo. And I mean perfect. Smooth and very light recoiling. Setting 3 is perfect for suppressed use.

I have not messed with the gas. Per the manual:

Setting 1 - for unsupressed use

Setting 2 - for suppressed use with lighter loads and/or suppressors with low back pressure

Setting 3 - for suppressed use with heavier loads and/or suppressors with high back pressure.

I will try the different gas settings and see how it works. I'm shooting the Blazer black box stuff.

georgeib
06-16-20, 16:16
No I'm explaining my experience and my thoughts with the pistol, then asking if there's something special I'm missing about piston guns.

I have not messed with the gas. Per the manual:

Setting 1 - for unsupressed use

Setting 2 - for suppressed use with lighter loads and/or suppressors with low back pressure

Setting 3 - for suppressed use with heavier loads and/or suppressors with high back pressure.

I will try the different gas settings and see how it works. I'm shooting the Blazer black box stuff.Setting 2 in my 16" barrel works really well with decent brass cased ammo, but will sometimes short stroke the cheap steel cased stuff. I ended up getting an extra gas plug from PWS, and opening up setting 2 so that it would cycle the cheap stuff reliably, and opened up setting 3 so that it would just lock back on full power ammo.

VT RAIDER
06-17-20, 12:20
I purposely sought out a PWS because I was making it my suppressor host... I love my PWS offerings and love the long stroke piston setup even when I am not running suppressed... I don’t think you are missing anything, just need to determine if it meets your needs. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leadslinger585
06-21-20, 21:22
Shot it today at the #2 gas setting. Much better with the recoil. Did have a failure to lock back on an Amend2 mag, but flawless with Magpul Gen 2 Window.

Did a test at 7 yards to see how fast/accurate I can hit. It's a 4x6" index card, on target from the beep. I'm not sure if this is good or not, but it's my baseline.

1.53 seconds total time for 5 rounds

https://i.imgur.com/AAxSLWW.jpg

Steve-0-
06-22-20, 03:46
Sell it and get a good DI carbine, period

Leadslinger585
06-22-20, 06:18

Cool - but why.

Explain why I shouldn't have a piston AR.

Leadslinger585
06-24-20, 16:44
Ran several mags through it today on the #2 gas setting.

Kept getting a failure to lock back on an empty mag. Happened with both the Amend2 and Magpul Gen 2 window mag.

Should I switch it back up to #1 or is something else going on?

georgeib
06-25-20, 05:58
Ran several mags through it today on the #2 gas setting.

Kept getting a failure to lock back on an empty mag. Happened with both the Amend2 and Magpul Gen 2 window mag.

Should I switch it back up to #1 or is something else going on?What ammo were you using?

georgeib
06-25-20, 06:02
Also, check out this thread, where I detail my gas regulator modifications:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?206508-PWS-MK1-Gas-Valve-Modification&highlight=

EDIT: Only variation in the instruction listed in the captioned thread, is that I ended up using a #55 bit (0.0520") for setting 2 after I realized that the 1/16th bit was letting too much gas through.

Leadslinger585
06-25-20, 11:41
What ammo were you using?

Blazer black box stuff.

TonyAngel
06-25-20, 12:51
I’ve never owned a PWS piston upper, but I’ve shot em. They are nice. But I’ve also spent quality time with Triarc rifles both suppressed and unsupptessed. I’d sell the PWS to buy a Triarc in a heart beat, if shooting suppressed is your thing. The Triarcs are well tuned. The ones I shot were anyway.

georgeib
06-25-20, 13:29
Blazer black box stuff.Not sure about the Blazer 223, but 9mm has a reputation for inconsistency. May want to try better ammo and see if it stops short stroking.

Leadslinger585
06-25-20, 16:06
Is PMC any better? That's the other stuff I have.

georgeib
06-25-20, 17:02
Is PMC any better? That's the other stuff I have.

Is it PMC Bronze or X-Tac? The Bronze will be no better, and is some of the softest loaded brass ammo available. The X-Tac on the other hand is good to go.

Either way reaming the 2nd port on the gas plug a hair bigger will solve your problem in a few seconds. You will need to know how big the port is on your gas plug, and just order a full carbide bit that is 1 size larger. It really is simple, and not easy to screw up, besides PWS will send you another gas plug if you ask them nicely.

MistWolf
06-25-20, 19:55

Maybe he should get an AR instead

Torquetard
06-29-20, 08:58
I have a Mk114 that's very consistent between cheap fmj's and 77 gr stuff and another load I can't think of, extremely similar poi at 50, still able to get hits with same hold at 300. I suspect it's because of the piston tube stiffening the barrel or doing something to the harmonics, because the heavy barrel DI rifle I shot the next day while more accurate than me was all over the place with different loads.