PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Sabre Defense and tip on LMT BCG in Stock

KentuckyRifle
11-26-08, 07:17
Good Morning,

I want to thank everyone for the knowledge shared on this site, the signal to noise ratio is awesome, and the expertise on the AR-15 available is great.

Thanks to this site I have recently sold my Bushmaster's and used the money to fund a couple of Sabre Defense rifles. I really wanted LMT but after 3 weeks of looking they are VERY hard to find right now. One of them came without a BCG and the other one has the SD factory BCG installed. I went looking for LMT or BCM BCG's and found a place that has them in stock.

http://www.mattdtactical.com/LMT-FULL-AUTO-BOLT-CARRIER-GROUP-L7D3_p_14-344.html

I am of course not affiliated with this site, just wanted to pass along the fact that they are still in stock here. They also have G17 mags still in stock.

From what I have read on here, the main reason the SD is so far to the right on the chart is related to items addressed in a complete swap of the BCG, as well as a replacement of the buffer. Should these two replacements make these SD rifles GTG?

Also, on the subject of the buffers, I was on the GRTACTICAL site and saw the H, H2, and H3 buffers available. Is it a case of the H3 being the superior buffer in all rifles, or is one of the others better suited to a midlength system?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Robb Jensen
11-26-08, 07:27
Welcome to the site.
H, H2 and H3 buffers were designed to slow down very fast cycling ARs. Midlengths don't suffer this problem and thus a CAR buffer works best in them.

Littlelebowski
11-26-08, 08:33
You don't have to add anything to a good mid length to make it run as gotm4 advised me months ago.

KentuckyRifle
11-26-08, 08:35
Very good! Thanks a lot guys.

Cruncher Block
11-26-08, 19:13
Good Morning,

From what I have read on here, the main reason the SD is so far to the right on the chart is related to items addressed in a complete swap of the BCG, as well as a replacement of the buffer. Should these two replacements make these SD rifles GTG?

The buffer is a carbine weight but I think the biggest "lack" is the receiver extension. Sabre Defence uses a commercial-spec receiver extension rather than a mil-spec.

The BCG in mine was not the full-auto style but the firing pin was shrouded. The gas key staking was not the preferred deep side crush but was instead three dimples on top of each screw. I don't think the bolt is HPT/MPI, either.

The above drawbacks were easy and not too terribly expensive to remedy.

KentuckyRifle
11-27-08, 07:41
The BCG in mine was not the full-auto style but the firing pin was shrouded. The gas key staking was not the preferred deep side crush but was instead three dimples on top of each screw. I don't think the bolt is HPT/MPI, either.

Well I ordered an LMT bolt to go into it, so hopefully that will address those problems. I will keep the original SD as an extra.

As far as the receiver extensions, from what I have read that means that I will need to be careful when selecting any new stocks in order to make sure I get one that fits?

Bob RI
11-27-08, 08:24
The buffer is a carbine weight but I think the biggest "lack" is the receiver extension. Sabre Defence uses a commercial-spec receiver extension rather than a mil-spec.

The above drawbacks were easy and not too terribly expensive to remedy.

What's the "lack" in regards to the commercial tube? I have both types and never had any issues with either. If I get a third gun I'll probably standardize but I've found parts readily available for both...just curious.

C4IGrant
11-27-08, 09:00
What's the "lack" in regards to the commercial tube? I have both types and never had any issues with either. If I get a third gun I'll probably standardize but I've found parts readily available for both...just curious.

Generally different material for one. Commercial RE's are 6061 and mil-spec are 7075. Mil-spec RE's also have a more consistant size as they are held to a standard. Commercial RE's have no standard to follow.

C4

Cruncher Block
11-27-08, 11:09

I'm hardly an AR expert but my understanding is the threading on mil-spec tubes engages better in the receiver. The threads are just a tiny bit taller due to the way the RE is made.

I'm not a hard user and I suspect I could have left the rifle completely stock and gone many, many rounds without a problem. I don't have many guns and I don't like spending time fixing stuff so I do what I can to improve reliability.

I also want to go through a training course soon and not learn any expensive lessons about why feature X is important. I've seen mechanical failures in other classes and just don't want to be "that guy" if I can help it.

So... I intalled an LMT BCG, H2 buffer, and a mil-spec RE kit from Bravocompany.

Honestly, I've been very happy with the Sabre but I still fall into the category of "guy on the internet who's taken it to the range a few times and not had a problem."

Bob RI
11-27-08, 14:02
Generally different material for one. Commercial RE's are 6061 and mil-spec are 7075. Mil-spec RE's also have a more consistant size as they are held to a standard. Commercial RE's have no standard to follow.

C4

Thanks much - that material is quite a bit stronger...not that I'll ever need it, but I'll surely standardize to the mil spec tube eventually.