PDA

View Full Version : I have this old lower...

Business_Casual
06-20-20, 18:45
I had an Eagle Arms lower in my collection before a boating accident and I wondered if it was - as I recall - an Armalite product and if so were they a) MIL SPEC and/or a quality item?

The_War_Wagon
06-20-20, 20:49
I had an Eagle Arms lower in my collection before a boating accident and I wondered if it was - as I recall - an Armalite product and if so were they a) MIL SPEC and/or a quality item?

If it's pre-'94, sell it to someone in New Yawk, make a small fortune, and then you won't care. ;)

m1a_scoutguy
06-20-20, 22:45

If it's pre-'94, sell it to someone in New Yawk, make a small fortune, and then you won't care. ;)

Not sure if its Armalite or not but since the SAFE Act, Pre-Ban "anything" doesn't matter !! Sad to say! :(

markm
06-21-20, 00:24
I run two of those Eagle/Armalite lowers. Very good lowers. Ken Elmore from Specialized Armament Warehouse used to sell them as his only alternative to Colt. This was back when there was only Colt, Bushmaster, and Olympic Arms.

So, yeah. It should be a nice lower.

TomMcC
06-21-20, 11:06
Eagle Arms was the lower budget arm of Armalite. I built a 3gun rifle on one I bought in 1998-9. It works, but the trigger pocket is not cut square. I had to remove a lot of material from the bottom edges of a Velocity trigger cartridge to finally get it to fit. Other than that it's worked fine for the last 20+ years.

GNXII
06-22-20, 12:39
There was two variations off the Eagle Arms. First the independent companies complete ARs , EA15s, were excellent. The second variation was the Armalite budget line which wasn’t too bad either.

mack7.62
06-22-20, 21:04
The way I understood it at the time complete rifles were branded/marked as Armalite while separate components like lowers were marketed as Eagle Arms.

TomMcC
06-23-20, 11:22
The way I understood it at the time complete rifles were branded/marked as Armalite while separate components like lowers were marketed as Eagle Arms.

Eagle Arms made complete rifles. The lower I spoke of came from one I bought 20+ years ago.

jbjh
06-23-20, 16:37
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200623/5ff08404dc9213b20a674b63e2ac3b56.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200623/344660c4bffeedcdad53da0c0431a53c.jpg

This was my first AR: Eagle Arms Spirit M15A4. Got it in 1997. It originally came with an .936”, 16” heavy barrel with rifle gas (Dissipator!), A2 stock, three chamber brake, and an enormous steel gas block that weighed more than a pound by itself (changed it out to a JP adjustable).

As originally configured, if you shot it indoors, it would rattle your teeth. But when I’d take it to the range, there’d be some little kid gawking at it, and I’d ask them if they wanted to try it (always with their parent right next to them). Sitting on a bipod, the gun would hardly move when you fired, but would bang steel with ease. Always got the biggest smiles from them, because they got to shoot a cool grown up gun!

Now it’s just a reliable blaster. I’ll never get rid of it.

Sent from 80ms in the future

markm
06-23-20, 17:01
I’ll never get rid of it.

Same here. I think one or both of mine are SBR'd. I'd never get rid of them either. I like the logo and finish. Mine are a little beat up over the last 25 years of use.

TomMcC
06-23-20, 20:04
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200623/5ff08404dc9213b20a674b63e2ac3b56.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200623/344660c4bffeedcdad53da0c0431a53c.jpg

This was my first AR: Eagle Arms Spirit M15A4. Got it in 1997. It originally came with an .936”, 16” heavy barrel with rifle gas (Dissipator!), A2 stock, three chamber brake, and an enormous steel gas block that weighed more than a pound by itself (changed it out to a JP adjustable).

As originally configured, if you shot it indoors, it would rattle your teeth. But when I’d take it to the range, there’d be some little kid gawking at it, and I’d ask them if they wanted to try it (always with their parent right next to them). Sitting on a bipod, the gun would hardly move when you fired, but would bang steel with ease. Always got the biggest smiles from them, because they got to shoot a cool grown up gun!

Now it’s just a reliable blaster. I’ll never get rid of it.

Mine was 20" with the A frame front and carry handle. The only thing left of it are the lower, the rifle length extension , and some of the lower parts. It's a registered lower in California...will always keep it.

jbjh
06-23-20, 20:30
Mine was 20" with the A frame front and carry handle. The only thing left of it are the lower, the rifle length extension , and some of the lower parts. It's a registered lower in California...will always keep it.

Same here. Cali resident with a Registered Assault Weapon (tm). But that doesn’t matter. Even if I moved to Great Britain and I had to turn it into a straight pull rifle, I’d still keep it (I actually think the straight pulls are kinda cool for no good reason).

TomMcC
06-23-20, 20:38
If you like the British straight pulls, check out this German Hera pump. See what you think.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/06/23/hera-arms-vrb-pump-action-rifle/