PDA

View Full Version : Ar 15 opinions/options..please..help

lou
06-21-20, 00:25
due to these chaotic times.. I'm looking at getting an ar...my do all shtf, civil unrest.. whatever the case maybe..im looking for a soft shooting ar.. and with me just recently being diagnosed with herniated discs and pertruting.vertabres my back .. but my first choice would be SOLGW... but i know they are swamped and like most are buried... so on that note...here are some others that I Have been considering..my price range is $1800 to 2k.. my daughter is assisting with the purchase..my father's day gift :)

1) POF renegade plus.. rip (Mr De Somma) the overall innovation.. np3 bgc, dictator adjustable gas system.. trigger.. and ambi. Controls,. And the barrel is rated 20k plus....5r rifling... good quality/custom build you get alot for the $$

2) spikes tactical assassin/pipehitters version... 20k plus barrel , and has pretty good quality /customized

3) would like to stick with DI.. cause parts availability..but also have been contemplating and haven't ruled out the pws mk116 mod2 and the sig mcx.....

Any other options/opinions would greatly be appreciated....
Thank you Lou

simonp67
06-21-20, 01:23
I’m not familiar with POF but Spikes in my experience is overpriced for mediocre quality at best. Their stripped lowers are fine if you’re building but I wouldn’t (personally) but any of the their assembled products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

06-21-20, 05:05
If Colt is an option for you, I would do that. Going north in pricing, I would consider KAC, SOLGW, Sionics, etc. Definitely not Bushy or similar.

R0CKETMAN
06-21-20, 05:18
- Colt 6920 can be had for semi Crackhead price $1400 or less

- BCM

- LMT Defender

- blah blah blah

* used Aimpoint H-1 or Pro
* ammo
* mags
* sling

OldState
06-21-20, 05:27
I think the easy button is buy a complete BCM lower and and upper of your choice. I’ve seen “blem” lowers for sale below $300 at times. The real easy button used to be a Colt 6920 but they aren’t easy to find at reasonable prices now.

hotrodder636
06-21-20, 06:21
For 1800-2000, as others have said, I would be looking for KAC, LMT, DD, BCM, Sionics. Spikes is a no-go for me.
A Colt 6920 would leave you money for an Aimpoint.

officerX
06-21-20, 07:23
Get an enhanced lightweight, mid-length gas BCM for ~$1,300 and 1,000 round of ammo for ~$400.

ThirdWatcher
06-21-20, 07:30
Colt or BCM.

gunnerblue
06-21-20, 08:47
Parts and complete uppers/lowers from BCM, Colt and Sionics have worked well for me. I owned a POF once and, while interesting from an design standpoint, overall seems to be mostly gimmick.

flenna
06-21-20, 10:34
Get an enhanced lightweight, mid-length gas BCM for ~$1,300 and 1,000 round of ammo for ~$400.

^^^This. Now if you would have asked me a year ago I would have said Colt 6920, Aimpoint and 1000 rounds of ammunition when 6920s could be had for around $800.

SiGfever
06-21-20, 10:53
Centurion Arms Rifle

https://www.centurionarms.com/cm4-rifle-p/cm4rfl-m.htm

the_fernie
06-21-20, 15:11
the fn tactical ar15 ca compliant version on gun prime is a steal right now at $900. swap out the fixed stock for a better stock around $50 & sell it to some poor smuck in california to get some money.
a surefire m600 - $200
a quality sling -$50
1k ammo- $400
quality iron sights- $150
trijicon mro or eotech- ~$450-500 OR pick up a turbo k suppressor
high quality package ! for around 2k

everready73
06-22-20, 13:36
Centurion Arms Rifle

https://www.centurionarms.com/cm4-rifle-p/cm4rfl-m.htm

This or BCM for around 1300 would be best value imo. Sionics is also excellent choice if they are selling to public again (they got backed up and we're fulfilling LE only I believe)

If you go BCM consider buying upper/lower separately if you can't find stock in a rifle.

The Centurion would be my first choice if lead time is reasonable. Great value and quality at $1200

I would about POF/pws etc and focus on DI ar, especially if your first one

grizzlyblake
06-22-20, 16:22
I’d recommendation BCM complete lower from brownells and an ELW complete upper from BCM. Best bang for the buck right now. $1230 before taxes. Throw on an Aimpoint PRO and move on.

Walker_Texasranger
06-22-20, 17:55
BCM has been really good about keeping their uppers in stock through all this.

Get one of the MK2 uppers with an ELW barrel.

I get my BCM lowers from Brownells with the BCM A5 kit installed. That is hands down the best bang for the buck combo IMO but I’m biased because that’s all I buy these days.

pag23
06-23-20, 06:34
BCM has been really good about keeping their uppers in stock through all this.

Get one of the MK2 uppers with an ELW barrel.

I get my BCM lowers from Brownells with the BCM A5 kit installed. That is hands down the best bang for the buck combo IMO but I’m biased because that’s all I buy these days.

I am waiting for when they have a basic Mid Length in stock again...trying to put together a basic setup.. I already have a complete PSA lower, that I might swap out the trigger for a Larue MBT..

Sid Post
06-23-20, 07:41
due to these chaotic times.. I'm looking at getting an ar...my do all shtf, civil unrest.. whatever the case maybe..im looking for a soft shooting ar.. and with me just recently being diagnosed with herniated discs and pertruting.vertabres my back .. but my first choice would be SOLGW... but i know they are swamped and like most are buried... so on that note...here are some others that I Have been considering..my price range is $1800 to 2k.. my daughter is assisting with the purchase..my father's day gift :)

Thank you Lou

Lou,

If you want soft shooting, get a longer gas length rifle with a balanced gas port to drive the BCG.

I own more expensive rifles but, honestly, the KAC SR-15 LPR I own is by far the softest shooting centerfire rifle I own. It is not even close in comparison to other rifles I personally own which includes a lot of other AR-15's. While not the lightest rifle out there, it is VERY BALANCED which makes it easy to hold, shoulder and, track fast-moving targets (hogs and dogs).

For the one and only do it all rifle that is a soft shooter with Home Defense loads, KAC SR-15 all the way. I got mine out of Florida shipped to my local FFL for ~$2500 so, a bit out of your price range but, buy once cry once. I'm honestly several thousand over that price purchasing lesser rifles to fill the role it does today.

Finally, gas pistons are not lighter recoiling in my experience. Avoid heavy fronts as they are hard on your back (I have back issues myself and a rebuilt tender shoulder). Add a good quality BFG Vickers sling and the only thing left is a lot of ammo, a good Red Dot or LPVO and, of course, a light suppressor to tame the noise when shooting indoors! Yes, the KAC SR-15 LPR is my bedside gun but, in fairness, I live in the country over a thousand feet from the nearest roadway.

Sid Post
06-23-20, 07:56
a surefire m600 - $200
a quality sling -$50
1k ammo- $400
quality iron sights- $150
trijicon mro or eotech- ~$450-500 OR pick up a turbo k suppressor
high quality package ! for around 2k

Not everything has to be purchased at one time, especially with the rifle!

High quality iron sights are included on the KAC SR-15's but, a set of Magpuls for the OP's use from the start are a reasonable option.

A sling and a few boxes of good quality ammo while everything is in short supply and price gouged is all you need today. So, that's really only ~$100 or so.

Lights, optics, suppressors, etc. can all be added over time ... queue the lunch box car song from Johnny Cash! ;)

In my case, I started with KAC SR-15 LPR and its stock sights. Later, I added an ACOG and SilencerCo suppressor. I finally scored a BFG Vickers sling for it so, I'm good until I add a Hogster thermal which will be shared with my Six8 which is a nighttime hog smacker and a half (though only from a fixed position as it is too heavy to walk around with or shoot freehand - bad back and dominate shoulder surgery so it is excessively portly.

M_Rapp
06-23-20, 10:15
What about Seekins SP15 line? Good starting place?

loki993
06-23-20, 12:10

1) POF renegade plus.. rip (Mr De Somma) the overall innovation.. np3 bgc, dictator adjustable gas system.. trigger.. and ambi. Controls,. And the barrel is rated 20k plus....5r rifling... good quality/custom build you get alot for the $$

Thank you Lou

There are lots of people here that know far more than I do that can make great recommendations.

Other than that I would say on a defensive/SHTF gun avoid things like adjustable gas blocks. Just another thing to cause issues and or break, you dont need it.

Sry0fcr
06-23-20, 14:34
At this point get what ever is in stock that's not garbage...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

czgunner
06-23-20, 19:26
I have 2 rifles that have proven to be good enough for me. My Colt 6720 and Barrett Rec7 Flyweight.

The_War_Wagon
06-23-20, 20:15
I just checked Armslist for Pittsburgh & Meadville/Grove City, and the pickin's is SLIM. :eek:

I'd keep checking the equipment exchange here, and while I generally advise against a "frankenrifle" for your first AR, you may hafta grab an upper from one place, and a lower from another, in these desperate times.

A QUALITY mid-length upper (for instance, say an LMT), on a quality lower (say, a BCM) will NOT be the worst thing that ever happens, if you hafta go that route.

I'm in Pittsburgh - if I see a good deal, I'll PM you.

TonyAngel
06-24-20, 13:28
I'm a big fan of Spike's lowers. I've used a quite a few of them on builds. I've found them the be in spec and never had any compatibility issues and I think they look cool. On the other hand, I've had very limited experience with their "builds," be it complete uppers, lowers for firearms and have seen nothing that would indicate that they are on par with the likes of BCM.

This is just an internet opinion, but I would scratch Spike's off of the list. I build my own, but if I was to buy a complete anything, my list, in no particular order would be...

-Bravo Company
-Daniel Defense (I believe they are over priced, but they are good)
-Sons of Liberty Gun Works

I think I'd consider Bravo Company first. I don't want to call them a "bang for the buck" company, but they are. Not in the sense that they are inexpensive, but good. More in a sense that they are on the cusp of that price point where the law of diminishing returns really starts to bite. I'd say that they are a good value. You'd have to spend a lot more money to get "better" and IF what you get is arguably better, it isn't going to be by much. Bravo Company builds tools for people that use them.

-You might also want to check out Aero Precision and Ballistic Advantage, but given your budget, you really don't need to be looking for that absolute bang for the buck. You can just go with what most will agree with as being a very good choice, if not the best.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with getting a BCM upper and mating it with an Aero Precision lower. Aero makes good stuff too and their lowers are 7075 (like all good lowers are), well anodized and all of the holes are the right size and in the right places.