PDA

View Full Version : DDM4v7 vs DDM4v7 SLW

mickblues
06-22-20, 14:42
Wanted to get some opinions and advice on the 16" v7 vs the 14.5" barrel. Curious to know hands on experience between these two.

GH41
06-22-20, 14:58
Wanted to get some opinions and advice on the 16" v7 vs the 14.5" barrel. Curious to know hands on experience between these two.

Is the 4-5 oz weight savings worth the pinned/welded handicap? Only you can answer that question. I don't think the length difference is worth talking about.

grizzlyblake
06-22-20, 16:16
The regular V7 (not LW) has a 16” government profile Barrel While the SLW has a 14.5” LW Barrel with pinned and welded flash hider.

I had a SLW but sold it because it was not as handy as my BCM 16” ELW Barrel.

Regarding the DD guns, I would get the 16” LW with the removable flash hider as the handling difference between it and the 14.5” PW Barrel is negligible at best.

Dennis
06-22-20, 16:30
Maybe it's just me in my non SBR state but I do think there is a noticeable difference between a 14.5 & 16" barrels even in LW config. Swing weight and just plain handiness maneuvering tighter spaces and even allowing easier bag access.

However, my assumption is that I am 95% never going to need to take off the muzzle device. If I want a new upper I will just build or buy one with newer parts. I also have the tools to remove and pin and weld if it comes to that.

Most importantly, I hate the inane only place in the world laws making us choose and debate barrel lengths...

Dennis.

SiGfever
06-22-20, 16:53
Maybe it's just me in my non SBR state but I do think there is a noticeable difference between a 14.5 & 16" barrels even in LW config. Swing weight and just plain handiness maneuvering tighter spaces and even allowing easier bag access.

However, my assumption is that I am 95% never going to need to take off the muzzle device. If I want a new upper I will just build or buy one with newer parts. I also have the tools to remove and pin and weld if it comes to that.

Most importantly, I hate the inane only place in the world laws making us choose and debate barrel lengths...

Dennis.

I too am amazed that liberals think a 1.5" reduction makes a rifle into a more deadly weapon. They are not too bright!

Walker_Texasranger
06-22-20, 17:27
I would consider the V7LW as that’ll be a closer comparison to the V7SLW.

While I don’t have direct comparison experience with those two models I do have a BCM 14.5 ELW and a BCM 16” ELW.

There’s only a 1oz difference on paper between the barrels and then whatever the difference is between the 13” and 15” rail. So not much total. But the 14.5 definitely feels lighter and “handier.”

I prefer the 16” though because I like longer rails. I’m 6’2” with pretty long arms and with an aggressive grip I definitely use all of a 15” rail.

If you want as short and light as possible while still using a stock then get the SLW.

mickblues
06-22-20, 18:17
Thanks for the replies. Is there a difference in quality & performance between the lw barrels and regular ones?

Walker_Texasranger
06-22-20, 18:41
Thanks for the replies. Is there a difference in quality & performance between the lw barrels and regular ones?

Well the Govt profile barrel makes 0 sense so I don’t know why you’d choose that when LW options are available. Quality will be the same. Same materials and all that.

Hank6046
06-22-20, 19:22
I've got a 2 DD 16" uppers, both are excellent, and have been my go to rifles for years. I do love a 14.5 and have a few 14.5 rifles, but I like to swap out the muzzle devise often enough that I tend to go 16". I would suggest looking at a BCM if you really want to look at a good bit more variety, or PWS if you are going to suppress.

R0CKETMAN
06-23-20, 05:41
If you dig the 14.5 md but may want to swap it can be done.

If you’re not sure on md get the 16

I’ve been very pleased with DD lw bbls

Sid Post
06-23-20, 08:12
If you are running a rifle inside a house, a non-NFA 16" P&W rifle is the way to go but understand muzzle blast is going to be horrendous. My 18" rifle with a can is fine for a bedroom barricade but, it takes some attention to get it through doorways in "normal" carry to avoid hitting door frames, ceiling fans, etc.

A pencil profile barrel is super handy for carrying but, it won't be as steady when shooting freehand. You can still shoot the "natural wobble area" and score solid hits at any reasonable range in an 'urban' area. If you are shooting at 200 yards or further regularly get an S2W style barrel to pull the CG closer to your body without being super whippy.

The Government profile makes zero sense today and even less sense with an M203 grenade notch! If you are doing a replica rifle, I'll give you a pass! ;)

I'm currently shooting a midweight 18" barrel and really like it. It balances well and is steady offhand without being heavy or clumsy.

Hank6046
06-23-20, 08:52
The Government profile makes zero sense today and even less sense with an M203 grenade notch!

While I agree with you as far as profile. Daniel Defense still makes a pretty good barrel, it just happens to be in a government profile.

Sry0fcr
06-23-20, 09:52
For me I'll take a pencil or SOCOM M4A1 profile over a gov't profile every time. I personally prefer a PW, but it's going to have to be a muzzle device that I like and be barely over 16". Don't be the dork with a pinned 17.5" gun...

Beat Trash
06-23-20, 10:18

Short answer is, No.

I have a pair of 16” DDM4V7 LW’s. My son had the V7 with the gov barrel.

He wanted the V7 with the factory brown coating and it only came in a gov barrel.

I use my V7 LW as a patrol rifle at work. I supervise a canine unit so I spend a lot of time going along as a cover officer on a canine track of an armed suspect. If you’ve never had to do this, you find yourself coming up to a high ready position a lot. The light weight barrel is nice. The longer the event goes on, the nicer the light weight barrel is.

I also own a Colt 6920 Trooper I bought when they were basically giving them away. It has a 13” Centurion rail and a gov barrel. I’m 5’11”. I can work the 13” rail, but I prefer the 15” rail of the V7 as it gives me more room to mount a white light without feeling cramped for space.

mickblues
06-23-20, 14:14
Thats why i was considering the SLW which is 14.5” but not sure what it is with Muzzle device

mickblues
06-23-20, 14:23
Great info here. Its interesting that there would be a noticeable difference in the V7 which is 6.2lbs vs LW 6.05 Lbs. on paper wouldn’t seem like one could tell the difference

mickblues
06-23-20, 14:29
For me I'll take a pencil or SOCOM M4A1 profile over a gov't profile every time. I personally prefer a PW, but it's going to have to be a muzzle device that I like and be barely over 16". Don't be the dork with a pinned 17.5" gun...

I was considering the SLW because its 14.5” but not sure total with muzzle device.

Sry0fcr
06-23-20, 14:32
Daniel Defense's comp doesn't seem too much longer than an A2. I was talking more about dudes with BE Meyers M249 FH or Warcomps with a stack of shims pinned to 14.5" tubes...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Beat Trash
06-23-20, 15:18
Great info here. Its interesting that there would be a noticeable difference in the V7 which is 6.2lbs vs LW 6.05 Lbs. on paper wouldn’t seem like one could tell the difference

The weight difference between the two is all out front, which makes it more noticeable.

It’s also noticeable for me as my son is storing his rifle at my house while he’s overseas, so I can do a side by side comparison between a V7 with a gov barrel and a V7 with a LW barrel.

When I bought my rifles, both options were available and the price was the same, so I opted for the LW barreled Guns. If I were trying to buy a DDV7 right now and the gov barreled 16” gun was all that was in stock, I’d jump on it.

Is there a noticeable difference between the two? Yes. Especially if you have both options in front of you so you can switch from one to the other. Is the weight difference of the gov barreled gun enough to be an issue? Not really. I owned a 20” Colt H-Bar in the 1990’s. The 16” gov barreled V7’s are far from H-Bar front heavy.

mickblues
06-23-20, 15:55
The weight difference between the two is all out front, which makes it more noticeable.

It’s also noticeable for me as my son is storing his rifle at my house while he’s overseas, so I can do a side by side comparison between a V7 with a gov barrel and a V7 with a LW barrel.

When I bought my rifles, both options were available and the price was the same, so I opted for the LW barreled Guns. If I were trying to buy a DDV7 right now and the gov barreled 16” gun was all that was in stock, I’d jump on it.

Is there a noticeable difference between the two? Yes. Especially if you have both options in front of you so you can switch from one to the other. Is the weight difference of the gov barreled gun enough to be an issue? Not really. I owned a 20” Colt H-Bar in the 1990’s. The 16” gov barreled V7’s are far from H-Bar front heavy.

Thanks I think that’s exactly what ill do. Im on the alert list and see what comes in first but leaning toward the LW especially after hearing this!

Sid Post
06-24-20, 07:15

It is not so much about sheer weight, IT IS ABOUT BALANCE!

Seriously, your nice to handle in a hand carry or slung AR-15 becomes a real pig and is a bear to carry and hold when you start adding weight to the forend.

Sid Post
06-24-20, 07:26
Thanks I think that’s exactly what ill do. Im on the alert list and see what comes in first but leaning toward the LW especially after hearing this!

Keep an eye on Sionics options. They should be open again for non-LEO orders since catching up to LE sales. While not a DD, quality is right up there for most people, and their rifles are built more from a non-MIL contract rifle point of view which is consistent with your views. Centurion Arms is another strong contender right now since they are another top option without all the panic buying of a more mainstream brand like DD. I'm looking at one of their LW barrel options right now.

Beat Trash
06-24-20, 07:54

Daniel Defense shows the V7 16” LW In stock currently. You can buy directly from them, and of course have it shipped to your FFL.