PDA

View Full Version : Steiner PX4i

Walker_Texasranger
06-22-20, 23:04
These seem to be in low stock right now. DSG Arms seems to be the only place that I see that has them. Are they legit? Price is high from them.

Optics Planet says they are in stock but not sure if I trust that.

nightchief
06-23-20, 00:41
These seem to be in low stock right now. DSG Arms seems to be the only place that I see that has them. Are they legit? Price is high from them.

Optics Planet says they are in stock but not sure if I trust that.

It is a decent 1x4 optic if the cost is under $500. Pretty forgiving eyebox, dot is daylight bright, not real heavy (about 17 oz less the mount) and seems pretty rugged. I've been running one for two years now, primarily on a 12.5" carbine. I've shot the 12.5 with this optic out to 400 yards (prone) on a C zone steel target with no issue.

It has two less than optimum issues IMO. First, the BDC reticle is rather basic, though you can figure out holds for each sub-tension. Second, the illumination control knob has an annoying habit of moving when doing anything active, such as running. I've had numerous times where I bring the rifle up to find the dot is off and I have to use the cross hairs only.

ggammell
06-23-20, 05:58
I bought both of mine from DSG. They became very popular about 2 years ago so the price went way up. I like mine. I upgraded one to a razor this year because I frequently see 475 yards at local matches and wanted just a little more magnification. The BDC comment is pretty relevant but I’ve never run into the illumination knob moving on its own.

Walker_Texasranger
06-23-20, 14:50
I bought both of mine from DSG. They became very popular about 2 years ago so the price went way up. I like mine. I upgraded one to a razor this year because I frequently see 475 yards at local matches and wanted just a little more magnification. The BDC comment is pretty relevant but I’ve never run into the illumination knob moving on its own.

And how does the px4i compare to the razor?

From what I’m hearing, the px4i is basically a 1-4 razor as far as clarity, eye box, eye relief, etc. I know it’s not a military grade optic as far as durability and being out on the battlefield like the razor, but if I only need 4x, will I be missing out on much compared to the razor?

RKB Armory
06-23-20, 15:12
The Steiner P4xi is one of the most popular 1-4s for good reason. It's high quality, and the dot is one of the brightest of all LPVOs. I haven't seen them for sale for less than $500.00 in a while. However, we have one lightly used for $540.00.

ggammell
06-23-20, 15:13
And how does the px4i compare to the razor?

From what I’m hearing, the px4i is basically a 1-4 razor as far as clarity, eye box, eye relief, etc. I know it’s not a military grade optic as far as durability and being out on the battlefield like the razor, but if I only need 4x, will I be missing out on much compared to the razor?

The razor is just better. The Steiner has very good glass, a great daylight bright dot, and big eye box. I would honestly give the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6 a look. You'll find it cheaper than the Steiner most of the time now and who doesn't want more mag in the same package? What you think you need now works until you realize $550 in you should have gone a little higher (that's what happened to me).

PoppaN
06-23-20, 16:15
I'm looking for the PST and a lot of them are out of stock now. Guess the word's out!

Walker_Texasranger
06-23-20, 16:44
I'm looking for the PST and a lot of them are out of stock now. Guess the word's out!

Yea I was doing the same earlier and can’t find any.

I actually want and am willing to pay for the Scalarworks Mount with the Razor Gen IIE package but they’ve been out of stock. It’s a couple hundred more to get the razor from someone else and the mount separately.

So started looking at other optic options and most stuff is out of stock everywhere. Stinks. I need something for this new BCM MK2 upper that I have.

Korgs130
06-23-20, 19:05
Yea I was doing the same earlier and can’t find any.

I actually want and am willing to pay for the Scalarworks Mount with the Razor Gen IIE package but they’ve been out of stock. It’s a couple hundred more to get the razor from someone else and the mount separately.

So started looking at other optic options and most stuff is out of stock everywhere. Stinks. I need something for this new BCM MK2 upper that I have.

I’ve had a P4Xi for several years. IMHO it’s a fantastic GP LPVO. The Razor 1-6 is great and has awesome glass, but for me its’ weight threw the balance of the carbine off. I sold the Razor a couple of years ago. I really like the reticle on the P4Xi. Personal preference of course, but I think it is easier to use without illumination vs the Razor.

nightchief
06-23-20, 19:48
The razor is just better. The Steiner has very good glass, a great daylight bright dot, and big eye box. I would honestly give the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6 a look. You'll find it cheaper than the Steiner most of the time now and who doesn't want more mag in the same package? What you think you need now works until you realize $550 in you should have gone a little higher (that's what happened to me).

I agree with this, which is why I put the $500 qualifier on my orig message. When I bought mine, Sport Optics was selling them in the low $400's, free shipping. At that price, the Steiner was a good option, especially if its going on a SBR or AR pistol.

turnburglar
06-23-20, 21:28
I like my Steiner A lot.

Like others have said the PST G2 is in the same price range. I don't think either optic is a bad choice. The Steiner is tighter and has better clarity. The PST has a little more mag and slightly better eye box.

PoppaN
06-23-20, 22:02
I like my Steiner A lot.

Like others have said the PST G2 is in the same price range. I don't think either optic is a bad choice. The Steiner is tighter and has better clarity. The PST has a little more mag and slightly better eye box.

At 300 meters, I can tell that 6x is a big difference versus 4x. YMMV.

nightchief
06-23-20, 23:19
At 300 meters, I can tell that 6x is a big difference versus 4x. YMMV.

For my use, a LPVO isn't to take precision shots at 300 yards as much as its for good target identification and a precision shot at 50 yards. 4X is sufficient in this application. This leads to the balance of magnification vs weight of the optic and other accessories on the carbine. I want the rifle as light as is possible without sacrificing reliability and ruggedness.

At 300 yards, I can certainly see a 6' person sized target with a 4X optic to make take a shot if necessary.

teksid
06-24-20, 10:59
At what distances are you guys zeroing at? I have mine zeroed at 200 yds. as recommended. I was reading that for a 14.5” barrel using xm193 it lines up better at 100yds.

PoppaN
06-24-20, 12:05
For my use, a LPVO isn't to take precision shots at 300 yards as much as its for good target identification and a precision shot at 50 yards. 4X is sufficient in this application. This leads to the balance of magnification vs weight of the optic and other accessories on the carbine. I want the rifle as light as is possible without sacrificing reliability and ruggedness.

At 300 yards, I can certainly see a 6' person sized target with a 4X optic to make take a shot if necessary.

Right, even at 300x, my hit rate goes up a lot on a 10" flasher at 6x vs 4x.

ggammell
06-24-20, 14:20

I should hope so. 300x is serious magnification lol (I know what you mean!).

ggammell
06-24-20, 14:21
At what distances are you guys zeroing at? I have mine zeroed at 200 yds. as recommended. I was reading that for a 14.5” barrel using xm193 it lines up better at 100yds.

100 yards and use StrelokPro to see what the BDC has marks actually mean.

06-25-20, 04:31
200 with 68gr and use Strelok. Lines up pretty good to 500. Edit: I actually z the hash right below the dot at 300, which puts my dot at 200, I hope that makes sense.

GTF425
06-25-20, 09:47
200y with 62gr Fusion MSR from a 14.5" barrel in an LT 1.93 mount. Almost dead nuts on the intended BDC out to 400y, confirmed on paper.

Using Strelok, supposedly the bottom 2 subtensions are 497y and 597y, respectively. That's pretty damn close for the intended purpose, especially because I have never shot at someone that was exactly 350/400/500 meters away. It was almost always some wonky shit like 133/271/etc. and the BDC will get you damn close.

PoppaN
06-25-20, 13:18

:laugh:

turnburglar
06-25-20, 14:21

That's just you. Optics help you see better, NOT shoot better.

I have a 4x LPVO and an 8x.... I can play with magnification anywhere under 8x, and honestly the difference from 4-6 or 6-8 is minimal. I would chose an optic over many other factors than MAX magnification. For my typical carbine matches that have tons of targets in the 300-400 yard range I take 'only' the 4x. Shouldn't my 8x optic give me an advantage? And If I am being really honest I would probably be able to clear the stage without magnification of any kind. I regularly hit a 12x20" target at 300 with just a RDS. At that distance the red dot covers almost half the target, yet it doesn't seem to ruin my hit ratio.

Wake27
06-25-20, 20:30

I have a 4x LPVO and an 8x.... I can play with magnification anywhere under 8x, and honestly the difference from 4-6 or 6-8 is minimal. I would chose an optic over many other factors than MAX magnification. For my typical carbine matches that have tons of targets in the 300-400 yard range I take 'only' the 4x. Shouldn't my 8x optic give me an advantage? And If I am being really honest I would probably be able to clear the stage without magnification of any kind. I regularly hit a 12x20" target at 300 with just a RDS. At that distance the red dot covers almost half the target, yet it doesn't seem to ruin my hit ratio.

Lots of people like to say that but since when does seeing better not equate to shooting better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoppaN
06-25-20, 21:42

It's been my experience that the more magnification I have, the quicker I can see the miss and adjust for another shot.

pointblank4445
06-25-20, 22:18

Meh...it's all about context. Pretty sure I've mentioned it here before.

Old way was 1x of magnification minimum per 100y. If you wanted 600y...get a 6x optic. However, this did not account for size.

I say 1x mag per #100y / MOA of target.

Say you're shooting a 12x12 @ 600y; with the above, your minimal amount of magnification would be about 3x, but if we shrink down to say a 3" circle plate (1/2 MOA), I'm going to want a minimum of 12x. See what I'm getting at?

I and some of my guys fell into the trap of what works on the flat range doesn't always translate to the field. I can hit steel at 1/2 mile with 4x magnification, but I've also been behind that same 4x top end scope at work looking at something 40-50 yards away thinking: "F*** I wish I could see a little better"