PDA

View Full Version : It Really is Possible to Have Too Many Guns

AndyLate
06-23-20, 03:53
I am sitting here in the wee hours of the morning and realized I simply have too many guns or too little time and income.

Some time ago I decided a 1-4 Trijicon Accupoint is a better fit for one on my 16" ARs than the Accupower it is wearing, primarily for a bolder, daylight bright reticle. The $7-800 they seem to run is not chicken feed, but I can certainly save the cash for one in a few months.

Fast forward about 10 months since I decided I "need" the Accupoint and I still don't have one. Not because of poverty, but because I built a dedicated 22 lr upper, bought a CZ 527, Rem. 870 and Glock 17 (plus light, hoster, and soon night sights), and burned a good bit of ammo.

Some folks use drugs, gamble, chase women, or drive nice cars; I just accumulate gun projects.

If it wasn't such a PITA, I would sell off some guns that I just don't shoot much. Part of me knows that I would just roll the money right back into more guns I won't shoot much, of course.

The other side of the coin is that I own or owned a lot of rifles and pistols I always wanted, even if they are mostly working man Fudd guns.

I know this is a little long and rambling, but at least it's a break from the current news cycle.

Andy

Circle_10
06-23-20, 04:19
I think it’s possible to have too many guns if you feel you have too many, not because society says you have too many. Practically speaking I think I have too many also. I have enough guns that in a SHTF situation a lot of them would actually just be more of a liability than an asset because it’s just a lot of guns to have to secure and account for all in one place. However when I start combing through my collection of stuff trying to determine what I could conceivably sell, I can’t find much that I want to get rid of.
I’ve been giving some thought to trying to move some of my “Plan B” guns (AKs and SKSs) to some secure second location, but I’m not really sure what that would be yet.

SteyrAUG
06-23-20, 04:30
Too many is easily solved.

Sell them and buy the shit you need.

Your problem isn't the number of guns, it's a lack of focus regarding the guns you want.

AndyLate
06-23-20, 04:41
I think it’s possible to have too many guns if you feel you have too many, not because society says you have too many. Practically speaking I think I have too many also. I have enough guns that in a SHTF situation a lot of them would actually just be more of a liability than an asset because it’s just a lot of guns to have to secure and account for all in one place. However when I start combing through my collection of stuff trying to determine what I could conceivably sell, I can’t find much that I want to get rid of.
I’ve been giving some thought to trying to move some of my “Plan B” guns (AKs and SKSs) to some secure second location, but I’m not really sure what that would be yet.

Not really wanting to get rid of many is part of my problem for sure. I would be walking away from a safe mostly full of guns if SHTF.

Andy

grizzlyblake
06-23-20, 06:56
Not sure what you're looking to get out of this thread so here's my advice.

2xARs
2xG19s

Beyond that is hobby usage/hoarding.

chuckman
06-23-20, 07:31
I once had a nice collection, a BIG collection. I realized that 99% of them collected dust. I traded or sold everything except for my SD/HD guns, because a) those were the ones I felt like I needed, and b) those were the ones I actually shot. ARs and Glocks are all I have now, and even those are limited.

AndyLate
06-23-20, 07:57

2xARs
2xG19s

Probably just looking for a general firearms discussion since this is the general discussion area.

it would be harder for me to have two AR-15s than a single one.

Andy

AndyLate
06-23-20, 07:59

Your problem isn't the number of guns, it's a lack of focus regarding the guns you want.

No denying the lack of focus.

matemike
06-23-20, 08:01
It is possible to have too many. (I'll never say that out loud around my wife). But as long as you can keep them all locked up properly then it should not be an issue. Obviously you cannot shoot them or carry them all at once, but if like my guns, each one fills a purpose. Mostly based on my mood for the day or the weekend.
Better than too many cars. I know guys who have to mow around cars because they have more cars than garage space. To me, that is a problem.

Adrenaline_6
06-23-20, 09:06
I don't really buy into the SHTF scenario and having a crap load of guns. If the apocalypse, boog, shtf, whatever, comes, there will be a shitload of carnage and people dead in the first month or so. Guns will be aplenty. Ammo on the other hand will be straight up priceless. Get one or two reliable guns for each category and go from there.

Just pure logic and statistics, but if you find yourself in situations that you are needing all those guns, your chance of survival is near zero.

PracticalRifleman
06-23-20, 09:11
I once had a gun collection of over 100. I had over 40 sets of dies for reloading. What I found was that I couldn’t focus on more than a few rifles/cartridges. Besides, there was so much overlap between them that it really didn’t make sense to keep pressing forward.

Before I bought my home, I sold the majority of them. Besides spending a lot of money on my house, I also decided to “upgrade” the guns I chose to retain; suppressors, better glass, better stocks, etc.

The guns I did keep are better equipped and more enjoyable.

More or less, focus is more important than quantity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH58D
06-23-20, 09:39
I think I have around 64-70 firearms of all kinds, including antiques. I'm a collector, but I also have a good number in that bunch which are of a tactical nature. I also come from a middle class family which in my lifetime improved our financial situation. But I also have a mentality of keeping and holding what I have. A gun is an asset that can be exchanged into cash or some other asset. A gun is like money in the bank - you can always get something for it.

It's like an elderly couple on a fixed income. Two paid off vehicles, even older ones, are valuable, because if one breaks down, you still have something to drive. And people on fixed incomes may not have the money to buy a new or newer vehicle. Just like guns, paid off vehicles are like money in the bank.

I'm not selling anything now, because I am still in the wealth accumulation phase. Guns are an asset that may be hard to replace in the future.

john armond
06-23-20, 09:42
I guess it depends on what you want and why you want it. I had over 100 myself at one time. Haven’t shot most of them in over 12 years, and they were just taking up space. Most were from WWII, and I couldn’t replace them because of how much the prices skyrocketed. When I did go to the range, all I took were modern guns, and I wanted to concentrate on something I might actually have to use. I have always loved driving my vintage corvette too, and found I was having more fun with that than the guns, so I decided to sell a bunch of the older guns. It hurt a little knowing I would never replace them, but I made a bunch of money compared to what I paid (Except one WWI 1911 that my buddy got a sweet deal on). Now I have six corvettes, one from each of the first six generations. I use them more often, and enjoy them more than the guns that were sitting in the safe. I still have some old ones left, and the debate is still raging on selling some of them or not.

The modern stuff I actually shoot has still stayed.

Of course we did have to buy a new plot of land, and are going to build a massive garage now, but it’s a plot my wife wanted anyway, so no loss there.

BoringGuy45
06-23-20, 09:47
I like the idea of having a main gun and a few backup guns for various scenarios. A pistol for carry/home defense, an AR for when SHTF, a long range precision rifle for the same thing (if you know how to use it), and a few rifles and shotguns for various game if you're a hunter.. As has been mentioned on other threads, a pistol caliber carbine isn't a bad idea for home defense either.

I have no problem with collecting guns for range toys. I have a beat-to-hell Mosin-Nagant that I got for less than $100 that serves little purpose except fun on the range, and I'd love to get a few more WWII era rifles, like a Lee Enfield and a Garand, when I get the money. I'd also love an AK if they were available in my state. But I'm not one who needs every gun in every caliber in every color. THAT I don't get.

What DOES drive me nuts is when guys think number of guns owned=expertise in their use. Too many people are picturing themselves in that scene from Tremors (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFNBUs7O-h4). When I was in gun sales, I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Nobody would dare break into MY house! I have like a hundred and fifty guns!"

grizzlyblake
06-23-20, 10:29
I would wager statistically more people in the past month have used guns to defend their homes/businesses from looters/rioters than people have defended their home from the "bump in the night" home invasion. If things reach Book of Eli level SHTF there will be plenty of other things to worry about like food, water, meds, etc.

Anyway. I think it's a good idea to have a good full size pistol for carrying concealed, and an AR set up for close range for the rioting type stuff. Then identical backups for both since society still exists to the extent that if you have to use either pistol or AR justifiably, they will be taken into police evidence. Then you go to your identical backups as long as you're not in jail.

After that it's just as many more backups as you think you need. I'm good with just the 2x setup.

If you're really looking at survival and think you'll be hunting I could see justifying a scoped 308 and 22. However, your AR could reasonably cover that depending on your local terrain.

teufelhund1918
06-23-20, 12:13
Not possible to have too many. Time to get out and enjoy shooting and plinking is the problem for me.

kerplode
06-23-20, 12:29
I have more than I can reasonable use, but I find them interesting on many levels and I've struggled with downsizing for that reason.

I tell myself that if I sell them I might not be able to replace them. However, I think it's becoming time to re-evaluate that from a more realistic point of view. Namely, if I don't sell them soon, I won't be able to extract any value from them when the inevitable ban occurs. And yes, a ban is inevitable.

These days, I mostly want to shoot my leverguns and revolvers anyway. I'm no longer drawn to generic soul-less ARs and plastic wonder-nines like I used to be. Given that, plus the large amount of time I invest in the administrative upkeep of the collection, thinning the heard is becoming more palatable.

jpmuscle
06-23-20, 12:30
Quality over quantity and all that.

Like having a dozen guns but no night vision is a bad move imo.

grizzlyblake
06-23-20, 12:44
What upkeep is it that you guys refer to?

I mean I squirt some lube on my BCG after a range session but that’s it.

Buy the rifle and optic, mags, defense ammo, then it’s just lube and practice ammo going forward.

kerplode
06-23-20, 12:55
What upkeep is it that you guys refer to?

I mean I squirt some lube on my BCG after a range session but that’s it.

Buy the rifle and optic, mags, defense ammo, then it’s just lube and practice ammo going forward.

I own a wider variety of things besides ARs and Glocks. Wood and metal thing, many of them much older than I am, that need to be taken out of the safe and cleaned/oiled periodically to prevent corrosion and rot. This takes non-zero time when you have more than a few...

Adrenaline_6
06-23-20, 12:58
Quality over quantity and all that.

Like having a dozen guns but no night vision is a bad move imo.

Agreed. Night vision and thermal is a huge plus. Being in the electronic security field, if you have a big piece of property. Perimeter surveillance ground radar would also be a huge plus.

FightinQ
06-23-20, 13:20
I'm very happy where I am at, don't need NV at all and just because people own a bunch, doesn't mean that they cannot shoot either. And just because one has reduced, doesn't mean that you're a better shooter either. Besides, having two of the same rifles and pistols is outright boring to most normal folk, it's okay to buy and shoot guns that you like that aren't for end of days of do all's, gotta have good motivations to get out and shoot some more, because if I had only two of the same/same, I would lose interest really fast.

But more to the the point, I've stopped doing rifles, I am where they need to be and my skills along with it. I'm still going to buy more pistols though. Money well spent.

everready73
06-23-20, 13:32
I think it depends on the person. If you have the money to buy and it isn't affecting finances and you enjoy it go for it.

My dad has like 5 main guns he uses out of the 100 or so in his safes. He enjoys collecting and never sells (just gives away sometimes) Same with coins

I am more practical in my purchasing and most of my guns have a role. The few that dont were given to me by my dad or grandfather and they have personal meaning.

I usually just sell something i am not using, but do always make sure i have back ups. I do have a few ar15's but they have different roles and i do like "collecting" them more than anything else. I have sold a few lower end ones i purchased when i first got into black rifles, but prob wont sell many more unless i absolutely need to

markm
06-23-20, 14:34
But more to the the point, I've stopped doing rifles, I am where they need to be and my skills along with it. I'm still going to buy more pistols though. Money well spent.

I'm the opposite. I have a 20 year old Glock 22, and a few other pistols. I shoot the Glock once a year just to run it. We're entering the rifleman's era of our history. Smoking hooligans is rifle work.

Diamondback
06-23-20, 15:07
I'm just going to share a couple thoughts about this I posted on another board...

On Minimums:
Depends on your purposes of use... I'd minimum at a longarm (carbine, shotgun or rifle) and handgun for each able-bodied adult in the house plus 1-2 spares in each class. That's just Home D/SHTF, then you got CCW irons, appropriate tools for whatever game you may hunt, "game guns" for any shooting sports you participate in, anything particular you may collect...

On 'Too Much':
"Too much" is the point when your acquisitions come at the cost of neglecting other responsibilities, or of neglecting the accessories and techniques needed to use them effectively, or they become an anchor that prevents you from pulling up stakes and getting out of Dodge when the time comes to do so. If you're in one of the river valleys around Puget Sound, and your hoard prevents you from rabbiting when Mt. Rainier decides it's time to puke a wall of superheated mud at you...

FightinQ
06-23-20, 15:18
We're entering the rifleman's era of our history. Smoking hooligans is rifle work.Now that I can agree with.

Evel Baldgui
06-23-20, 15:34

2xARs
2xG19s

That pretty much sums up my current selection, though its 2 AR pistols, 2 G19's plus a .22 MK IV pistol for fun

mrbieler
06-23-20, 16:32
I have more than I need (and just pieced together another upper), but in in a few years I plan to give about 1/2 of my stuff to my son when he finishes college and settles down. He'll get the other half when I take my dirt nap.

Buncheong
06-23-20, 17:42
This is an excellent and very practical thread.

Buncheong
06-23-20, 18:06
I think it's becoming time to re-evaluate that from a more realistic point of view. Namely, if I don't sell them soon, I won't be able to extract any value from them when the inevitable ban occurs. And yes, a ban is inevitable.

A defeatist attitude.

Thank God Nathan Hale, William Prescott, Ethan Allen et al never shared your outlook.

titsonritz
06-23-20, 18:14
A defeatist attitude.

Thank God Nathan Hale, William Prescott, Ethan Allen et al never shared your outlook.

A bunch of old white dudes that need their statues torn down.

kerplode
06-23-20, 18:29
A defeatist attitude.

Eh whatever.

SteyrAUG
06-23-20, 18:47
That pretty much sums up my current selection, though its 2 AR pistols, 2 G19's plus a .22 MK IV pistol for fun

Plus:

Scoped bolt gun
Suppressed SMG
6 "loaner" ARs
Anti material rifle (.50 BMG or similar)
Belt fed auto
2 Shotguns
.22 cal rifle
1 Magnum handgun

20 magazines for each rifle, 10 magazines for each handgun and a boatload of ammo.

06-23-20, 19:16
Plus:

Scoped bolt gun
Suppressed SMG
6 "loaner" ARs
Belt fed auto
2 Shotguns
.22 cal rifle
1 Magnum handgun

20 magazines for each rifle, 10 magazines for each handgun and a boatload of ammo.

Plus, you need two magnum handguns, a 30-30, a lever PCC, a .22WMR, a .22LR handgun, a couple cowboy revolvers, a double action revolver, a Turkish Mauser barreled action, 6 G19s, a broken black powder revolver, and some stupid foreign gun in a caliber you can’t find ammo for anymore. Well, that sure went off the rails fast.

czgunner
06-23-20, 19:18
Plus:

Scoped bolt gun
Suppressed SMG
6 "loaner" ARs
Belt fed auto
2 Shotguns
.22 cal rifle
1 Magnum handgun

Hmmm. Like the list, but I missed the specifics on how much ammo you have linked....

AndyLate
06-23-20, 20:26
This is an excellent and very practical thread.

It matured well from a poor beginning, for sure.

Andy

Honu
06-23-20, 20:48
No it’s like arguing thick or thin pizza still pizza

I prefer less these days and quality and often a few of the same setup
rather have a $1500-$2000 quality AR with a $500-$2000 optic maybe a suppressor so say $4k-$5k setup then 10 $500 or 5 $1000 setups any day but that is my thinking
and tons of ammo

titsonritz
06-23-20, 20:59
No it’s like arguing thick or thin pizza still pizza

I prefer less these days and quality and often a few of the same setup
rather have a $1500-$2000 quality AR with a $500-$2000 optic maybe a suppressor so say $4k-$5k setup then 10 $500 or 5 $1000 setups any day but that is my thinking
and tons of ammo

This for sure. I know a guy with 20+ ARs and I wouldn't want any of them, just a bunch of colored garbage with the cheapest piece of shit optics made.

Honu
06-23-20, 21:07
This for sure. I know a guy with 20+ ARs and I wouldn't want any of them, just a bunch of colored garbage with the cheapest piece of shit optics made.
Bet he has a LOT of attachments on them also :) hahahahahha

Joe Mamma
06-23-20, 21:32
Some folks use drugs, gamble, chase women, or drive nice cars; I just accumulate gun projects.

I think your problem is not too many guns, it's too many gun projects. You should try to just shoot more (just pulling the trigger) and spend less time thinking about what you want to change, fix, improve, and other gun projects.

Of course there are people who like gun projects, but for a lot of people, once you have more than 1 or 2 projects it starts to become like work. I know even having to sight in more than 1 or 2 guns/optics can take away from the fun of just shooting for a lot of people.

Joe Mamma

titsonritz
06-23-20, 21:34
Bet he has a LOT of attachments on them also :) hahahahahha

Draped with more cheap garbage that would most likely fail in one class and maybe open his eyes but nope, "Waste of money, I know how to shoot."

JoshNC
06-23-20, 21:51

This is so common.

SteyrAUG
06-23-20, 22:08
Hmmm. Like the list, but I missed the specifics on how much ammo you have linked....

Realistically at least 5 cans. Also 2 spare barrels.

Of course the actual answer depends who you are, where you live and what potential defensive need you are attempting to address.

Home defense is very, very different from some SHTF event like the Rodney King riots and that doesn't even come close to a TEOTWAWKI event like "The Road."

First question is what do you need and are you capable of defending it? Second question is if you can defend it, how long can you sustain it? Third question is if you cannot defend it, what can you go mobile with and for how long and what is your plan to sustain what you go mobile with.

These simple questions result in dozens and dozens of different answers. And then there are the questions you never even thought of because it's never really happened to you or anyone you know before.

What guns, what caliber, how much and such aren't nearly as important as do you have a local community? Have you even coordinated with friends and neighbors to have a simple disaster plan? One of the only benefits of getting the shit kicked out of us every hurricane season is for a long time, about 10 years, I had a group of 30-45 people that actually formed an emergency response group and trained for certain disasters.

That meant if we took a hit and your house was mostly OK, you got together with everyone else and ran supplies to the other guys who got wiped out. It also meant you helped provide security to those who got hit hard and were prepared to host, bunk and feed anyone who lost everything. Also meant you were willing to swing a lot of hammers when things got back to normal for everyone.

If you can't put something like the above together on your own block, you won't accomplish a lot if something really, really bad happens. If you don't know your neighbors, maybe start with a church, this is one area where some socialized religion really does make a difference.

czgunner
06-23-20, 22:14
Realistically at least 5 cans. Also 2 spare barrels.

Of course the actual answer depends who you are, where you live and what potential defensive need you are attempting to address.

Home defense is very, very different from some SHTF event like the Rodney King riots and that doesn't even come close to a TEOTWAWKI event like "The Road."

First question is what do you need and are you capable of defending it? Second question is if you can defend it, how long can you sustain it? Third question is if you cannot defend it, what can you go mobile with and for how long and what is your plan to sustain what you go mobile with.

These simple questions result in dozens and dozens of different answers. And then there are the questions you never even thought of because it's never really happened to you or anyone you know before.

What guns, what caliber, how much and such aren't nearly as important as do you have a local community? Have you even coordinated with friends and neighbors to have a simple disaster plan? One of the only benefits of getting the shit kicked out of us every hurricane season is for a long time, about 10 years, I had a group of 30-45 people that actually formed an emergency response group and trained for certain disasters.

That meant if we took a hit and your house was mostly OK, you got together with everyone else and ran supplies to the other guys who got wiped out. It also meant you helped provide security to those who got hit hard and were prepared to host, bunk and feed anyone who lost everything. Also meant you were willing to swing a lot of hammers when things got back to normal for everyone.

If you can't put something like the above together on your own block, you won't accomplish a lot if something really, really bad happens.

I like your answer. I have a good relationship with my VERY self sufficient neighbors. That is key to survival if you plan on bugging in.
Honestly though, I was just having fun and hoping for some gratuitous pics of belts.

SteyrAUG
06-24-20, 01:17
I like your answer. I have a good relationship with my VERY self sufficient neighbors. That is key to survival if you plan on bugging in.
Honestly though, I was just having fun and hoping for some gratuitous pics of belts.

I got belts of .22LR for days son.

https://d3h734cmb70j0w.cloudfront.net/dev_cdn/68/782.jpg?cachebust=2019-09-19T20:29:43.000Z

Circle_10
06-24-20, 06:07
Of course there are people who like gun projects, but for a lot of people, once you have more than 1 or 2 projects it starts to become like work. I know even having to sight in more than 1 or 2 guns/optics can take away from the fun of just shooting for a lot of people.

Joe Mamma

I f*****g hate zeroing, I’m super nitpicky about my zeroes, even with iron sights, so it feels like it takes me forever to get it “just right” and it is not in the least be enjoyable for me.

Joe Mamma
06-24-20, 06:36
I f*****g hate zeroing, I’m super nitpicky about my zeroes, even with iron sights, so it feels like it takes me forever to get it “just right” and it is not in the least be enjoyable for me.

That's funny because I have noticed that people who hate zeroing are usually people who like to be very exact. People who think zeroing is quick and easy usually seem like people who are quick to say "don't sweat the small shit" and "that's good enough."

I have found that one thing that helps me enjoy shooting is to always bring at least one range beater gun to the range. It's something that is zero'd with cheap ammo, extremely reliable with cheap ammo, and something I rarely clean.

Joe Mamma

Circle_10
06-24-20, 07:30
That's funny because I have noticed that people who hate zeroing are usually people who like to be very exact. People who think zeroing is quick and easy usually seem like people who are quick to say "don't sweat the small shit" and "that's good enough."

I’ve been diagnosed with OCD and zeroing just happens to be one of the things that really brings it out. I end up doing stupid shit like endlessly dialing the windage on A2 sights back and forth by one click trying to get my groups absolutely perfectly positioned, and also repeatable.

Adrenaline_6
06-24-20, 07:48
I’ve been diagnosed with OCD and zeroing just happens to be one of the things that really brings it out. I end up doing stupid shit like endlessly dialing the windage on A2 sights back and forth by one click trying to get my groups absolutely perfectly positioned, and also repeatable.

Nothing really wrong with that except that it seems it drives YOU crazy. I am a perfectionist myself, always looking to improve somewhere, finding faults and imperfections and seeing if there is a way to improve it, make something more efficient, even if it is a fraction. I'm good with that, the only thing that gets frustrating is when you can't improve or get something more efficient and try over and over.

PracticalRifleman
06-24-20, 07:53
There are so many things that affect POI that sweating over perfect zero with irons is a waste of time; the direction of light, temperature, lot of ammo, etc that you can spend every session chasing your tail.

polydeuces
06-24-20, 08:19
Sell a gun. Then you have have cash. Then some bills are due. Then all that cash is gone.

Then, NO cash. And NO GUN.
Really Really Bad deal.

Therefore i dont sell any of my guns any more unless that covers the purchase of another gun/shooting related gear.
Its a rule i stick to.

JoshNC
06-24-20, 08:34

That’s interesting. When I first started shooting AR15s back in college, I hated zeroing irons and optics. Now I don’t mind at all. It takes no time. I’m somewhere in between OCD and “good enough”. Honestly, unless you are shooting match ammunition from a very accurate barrel, you have to factor in the variability inherent in your setup and ammunition.

Being OCD in your zeroing is for precision rigs shooting match ammunition.

Being OCD about one's zero shooting milspec or run of the mill commercial ammo in a fighting rifle with a red dot is an exercise in exercising.

That sounds really painful. You should force yourself to use the “good enough” approach sometime. Like truly force it upon yourself. Then shoot a bunch of steel instead of grouping on paper. I bet you will feel liberated.

I’m a hoarder by nature. My wife is not. She showed me the light many years ago that getting rid of unnecessary things is truly cathartic. I guarantee you will find catharsis in forcing yourself to adopt the “good enough” philosophy in zeroing your rifles.

FightinQ
06-24-20, 09:33
Too many to quote.

SFC Ash Hess, now long since retired, has made zeroing our beloved, a painless process. Read how to use, reread how to use, then reread it a third time, then use. Problem solved.

Circle_10
06-24-20, 11:08
There are so many things that affect POI that sweating over perfect zero with irons is a waste of time; the direction of light, temperature, lot of ammo, etc that you can spend every session chasing your tail.

On an intellectual level I know this and have experienced it, but when I’m actually out there zeroing something or confirming zero on a gun that should already be zeroed I get a bit fixated on “perfect”.
I’m also the type of guy who will lock the door as I’m leaving the house, get all the way to the car, and then run back and double check the door again.
I will also unconsciously arrange items like table settings, pens, whatever so that they are organized in a symmetrical manner. My symmetry fixation might be coming from the same place as my zeroing fixation.
Not really crippling OCD but definitely annoying at times.

I have been able to dial back the zero checking in favor of more “practical” shooting a fair bit of late, and it definitely is much more enjoyable though.

kerplode
06-24-20, 11:09
The "Too many projects" and "OCD zeroing" comments also hit home...I have both of these problems as well, and they definitely do make the hobby into more work than needed.

I'm focusing my time and efforts on clearing out the projects so there is more time to just shoot stuff that's right and works. Been at that a while, but we're nearly there.

I'm also drifting towards a "good enough" attitude toward zeroing, but I still have a tendency to want to perfect them. Like recently, I spent 4 range trips and $100 worth of ammo screwing around with a 100yd zero for a MRO on a 11.5" SBR. During that last session it dawned on me that the zero was as good as it was gonna get three trips and 100 rounds ago so I bagged it. And yeah, it's good enough.

Buncheong
06-24-20, 11:43
Sell a gun. Then you have have cash. Then some bills are due. Then all that cash is gone.

This right here ^ is how I went from two Glock 19s to NONE.

Trying to transition from Gen 3 to Gen 5 > unexpected expense > COVID19 + riots > “what Gen 5? We’re sold out.”

BoringGuy45
06-24-20, 12:01

Really Really Bad deal.

Therefore i dont sell any of my guns any more unless that covers the purchase of another gun/shooting related gear.
Its a rule i stick to.

In general, it is a bad idea to sell things in order to pay bills for that reason. Unless what you sell (gun or otherwise) helps you pay something off completely, there's no point in selling property to pay a single month's bills.

AndyLate
06-24-20, 12:09
In general, it is a bad idea to sell things in order to pay bills for that reason. Unless what you sell (gun or otherwise) helps you pay something off completely, there's no point in selling property to pay a single month's bills.

I completely agree with this. I will be selling off some guns because I watched one too many episodes of Hoarders :)

Andy

JediGuy
06-24-20, 12:15
Prioritize what is important.
If working on guns as a hobby is important to you, have at it. If that’s truly what brings joy, then you can also sell without it affecting you, and in fact you may find pleasure in getting something nice to someone else.
If accumulating possessions is something you enjoy, well...this is America.
If training is important, balance the building accumulating with the level of training you want.

I don’t want to be a broken record, but I created a list of “wants” before I built my first AR. This site and boredom allowed a deep spiral beyond what I “wanted.” But, I enjoyed building and learning. So with some self-assessments, I sold off a bunch of parts and guns I truly liked but were essentially duplicates.
Now, I may still get new guns (Stribog is at the FFL!), but they fit more with the basic list I made about six years ago, plus the additional factors of small children, spouse, and home in suburbs.

I’m still having fun, though. Just put together a 308 AR because I couldn’t sell the parts, and it was (/continues to be) a great learning experience. I might sell or I might hold on as my only 308, versus getting a Rem 700.
But really, two short uppers and 1-2 16” uppers is more than enough for two lowers, since my wife doesn’t really enjoy shooting. Two pistols that share magazines (might add another for redundancy). 1-2 .22 rifles or pistols for cheap training during pandemic ammo shortages. Cheap shotgun is extraneous but has an associated project.
I’m done accumulating. Instead, looking at 1-2 more cans and, as life permits saving for night vision. Why? Because it is something new to learn.

HMM
06-24-20, 12:32
Is it possible? Probably
Is it probable? No

End of discussion...lol

m1a_scoutguy
06-24-20, 13:27
For me its a constant battle as I'm sure it is with many ! I am always saying there is NOTHING I need but there is always the want ! I have tried hard to not really buy anything recently, last one was a 19X last Fall,it was used and killer price ($400). Seems like I concentrate more on components & reloading stuff so I have more ammo than I could ever shoot,LOL I have rifles (M1s) that I could/should sell, hell I have 6 so a few could go and use that $$$ for more useful/practical goodies. Even though I'm in a Commie State I still have a AR,its "compliant" so I'm good there but I have 3 complete uppers with one more to build in the coming months & I will be good,really ! My one AR lower is a quality lower with all top shelf quality trigger and LPK. I should probably grab at least one more Lower,maybe 2 but I'm not really worried about it. Are more better,depends, its only me,Wife has no interest so thats that. I have invested in parts for all my firearms so most can be rebuilt/fixed multiple times & thats ARs,M1s & M1a's,all will be good to go long after I'm gone,LOL. I'm sure many people do but most are so caught up in more guns & more ammo they don't think of the little things !
Perfect example is one of my shooting buddies had his Daughters G34 go down, something with the recoil spring I guess, in talking with his Daughter I asked her if he changed it out yet and she said NO, he had to order one !! WTF,,really that's something you should have 5 of in my eyes,LOL Anyways I'll keep fightin the fight and I guess being 66 I could probably afford to let a few go and use the $$$ for more important "stuff" We will see,LOL

PracticalRifleman
06-24-20, 15:34

Should you instead get your lights shut off? Put it on credit and pay 14% interest?

turnburglar
06-24-20, 16:21
I don't buy a lot of guns. I just really prefer to put my money into other shit. I think it's crazy some of the armories my friends have amassed for their perfect LARP scenario. I chuckle a little because I only had ONE M4 and ONE M9 that got me through my enlistment. Sure there was a sprinkling of random belt fed's in there, but the point still stands; you can only shoot and move with a very limited amount of gear. No point in being able to outfit an entire squad. Unless you'r Firefly, and setup to be a warlord. That's cool too, but Im guessing most members on this board don't have any interest in consignment and conquering their neighbors. The rule I now use before buying another gun; there has to be a match I can shoot it in. I just can't afford to have $100's or $1000's of dollars tied up in something I might never use. I have only been shooting local matches for about a year now, and not only is it relatively affordable; but my skills as a shooter are WAY better than even when I was active duty.

SteyrAUG
06-24-20, 17:05
Should you instead get your lights shut off? Put it on credit and pay 14% interest?

If you are having trouble keeping the lights on, guns aren't your biggest issue. And if selling a G19 is what saves the day for you, again you have bigger issues at play.

Of course if you have the internet but you think the light bill might not get paid, something is out of priority.

PracticalRifleman
06-24-20, 17:22
If you are having trouble keeping the lights on, guns aren't your biggest issue. And if selling a G19 is what saves the day for you, again you have bigger issues at play.

Of course if you have the internet but you think the light bill might not get paid, something is out of priority.

Either way, selling a gun to pay bills isn’t a sin.

sgtrock82
06-24-20, 18:28
Im just trying to figure out how to effectively cache my C&R collection in the event of the boog. Only now am I actually thinking that maybe I have too much. I got while the getting was good and the stuff straight up cant be replaced the way it once was, so I loathe the idea of selling... grrrr.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

FightinQ
06-24-20, 18:41
If I ever had to evacuate because of god forbid an actual civil war 2.0, or only take what I could carry, what remains get's either deactivated, locked up, or burned/destroyed. Without a thought of regret and no F's given. Oh well.

SteyrAUG
06-24-20, 18:55
Either way, selling a gun to pay bills isn’t a sin.

For people in extreme circumstances no it isn't.

SteyrAUG
06-24-20, 18:56
Im just trying to figure out how to effectively cache my C&R collection in the event of the boog. Only now am I actually thinking that maybe I have too much. I got while the getting was good and the stuff straight up cant be replaced the way it once was, so I loathe the idea of selling... grrrr.

What are you actually worried about? Door to door confiscation?

AndyLate
06-24-20, 19:46
For people in extreme circumstances no it isn't.

I sold a 6 1/2" .357 Blackhawk in my youth to pay for expenses I should have planned for. I learned two things - to live within my means and that anything you sell when you need money will be at a loss. People make mistakes. The trick is to learn from them.

Andy

grizzlyblake
06-24-20, 20:55
I guess I’m an outlier here. To me guns that aren’t heirlooms or something are no different than lawn mowers or trucks. I have zero emotional attachment and can sell them with no hurt feelings.

I’ve owned all sorts of stuff from Ruger single actions, to browning Citoris, to Daniel Defense ARs, and sold them with no loss of sleep.

As long as I have a couple quality ARs and Glocks I don’t care about selling off other stuff that can be replaced later if I want to play with it again.

sgtrock82
06-24-20, 21:11
What are you actually worried about? Door to door confiscation?No, just thought experiments on what one would do If the time actually came to go get involved in the current discourse. Its not like you just get to clock out and go home every night and expect it all to be there

I know it sounds comical, like Im expecting Los Angeles 2025 but in my current situation if society declines enough, staying put would be a poor choice. Id be joining up or relocating with friends as I currently run solo. At that point a collection would become quite cumbersome.

Sell, bury, burn, drag it along till I cant? Walk away and let the looters figure out how to feed a Berthier?...or Do I stay here, M1 ready and growl at people to "Get off my lawn"

Ultimately the situation dictates, there may not be a choice.

Thats me wondering about too many guns

SteyrAUG
06-24-20, 22:01
No, just thought experiments on what one would do If the time actually came to go get involved in the current discourse. Its not like you just get to clock out and go home every night and expect it all to be there

I know it sounds comical, like Im expecting Los Angeles 2025 but in my current situation if society declines enough, staying put would be a poor choice. Id be joining up or relocating with friends as I currently run solo. At that point a collection would become quite cumbersome.

Sell, bury, burn, drag it along till I cant? Walk away and let the looters figure out how to feed a Berthier?...or Do I stay here, M1 ready and growl at people to "Get off my lawn"

Ultimately the situation dictates, there may not be a choice.

Thats me wondering about too many guns

Please understand I left South Florida for the midwest for a lot of those reasons. It was an expensive, stressful and complicated thing to do, but worth every hardship.

Adrenaline_6
06-25-20, 08:17

If it happens, that will be near the bottom of your list of concerns.

cspackler
06-26-20, 21:00
I've been thinking that I have too many for the last year or so. I got close to 100. Sold 10+, have a few more I might sell, and would probably take it a step further with a more drastic (politically charged) panic.

However, I don't think I had TOO many. Just decided I didn't need to keep what I wasn't shooting. I started looking at ammo as being a possibly irreplaceable commodity and guns as mouths needing to be fed.

There is the question of what is considered fiscally prudent.
If one were struggling to keep a family housed, fed, and clothed but had several guns, I would say he had too many guns. Each person would have to decide what percentage of net worth is acceptable to have in firearms/accessories.

pag23
06-27-20, 06:19
I just try and keep 2 or more of the same platform, just to have a spare. Glock, AR, Sig P320 for me. I keep a few LPKs for the AR and some spare parts for the pistols...especially springs. With regards to caliber, mainly 9mm for pistol but a few other calibers like 357Sig and 40SW as it is only a barrel change.

REDinFL
06-27-20, 08:42
When your guns become an issue in protecting THEM, you have too many. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I no longer have any "collecting" interests. Actually, that came about because of climate, of course. Have to store them just so, have to be sure it's climate controlled; have to be sure they are in a REAL (as in expensive) safe. Became more of a nuisance that it's worth. The real kicker ws this: you know those door locks that the major manufacturers like Schlage sell, coated to be nearly thermonuclear-proof forever? In just over a year, they were pitted. Yeah, I live near the coast. So, more maintenance on my precious guns - first gen. SAA, Colt Lightning 1892 letter for Wells Fargo, 1904 Colt Navy, and more. They went to new homes, and love. I just have 1 rifle, 1 shotgun, a couple 9mm pistols I can carry. They are tools, not love objects (got 2 furballs for that). YMMV

drsal
06-27-20, 08:55
I've gone pure minimalist. Questions were, what can I reasonably transport/evac in case of an extreme weather emergency? And basic wants... are they sport clays? hunting? fun? SD/HD? Collectible? Which do I really want ?
For my needs, I opted for practical, fun to shoot and SD/HD. Two handguns, and one AR pistol, 9mm and 5.56 would solve 99% of any disruptions in my urban environment. Ammo is ubiquitous and plentiful, as are glock and P mags. Simple.

yellowfin
06-27-20, 10:22
For me it's the 14 clubs in a golf bag scenario: not a collection, but a tool set--albeit one I do sincerely love. I like to do different things and nothing I buy is without a purpose of fulfilling one of them. The only things that I don't shoot on at least a monthly basis which are explicitly for me are stuff that was handed down from family. There are a few guns I have bought for my son who isn't big enough to shoot yet but are there for him when he is. Also some are for my wife when she's back to normal from that phase of life where everything is occupied by him. So the number for 3 people (and who knows if there will be more kids, but not under present circumstances) and that I compete in a couple different shooting sports is greater than someone trying to be minimalist. There is nothing I could cut that wouldn't be something I would want back as soon as I did.

Buncheong
06-29-20, 23:41
When your guns become an issue in protecting THEM, you have too many. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I no longer have any "collecting" interests. Actually, that came about because of climate, of course. Have to store them just so, have to be sure it's climate controlled; have to be sure they are in a REAL (as in expensive) safe. Became more of a nuisance that it's worth. The real kicker ws this: you know those door locks that the major manufacturers like Schlage sell, coated to be nearly thermonuclear-proof forever? In just over a year, they were pitted. Yeah, I live near the coast. So, more maintenance on my precious guns - first gen. SAA, Colt Lightning 1892 letter for Wells Fargo, 1904 Colt Navy, and more. They went to new homes, and love. I just have 1 rifle, 1 shotgun, a couple 9mm pistols I can carry. They are tools, not love objects (got 2 furballs for that). YMMV

This is the lifestyle - and attitude - I am trying to get to...

...old collector (consumer) habit die hard, I guess.

SteyrAUG
06-30-20, 04:49
In addition to my collection, I have some demo guns and trainers.

So IF it should all fall down, I will have some handouts.

nick84
06-30-20, 07:04
I guess by some schools of thought, having more than you can run away with it at full speed is too many. Of course, if you have so many that you can't keep track of them....there's probably a middle ground here. Utility and proficiency before volume is probably the best approach I think.

AndyLate
06-30-20, 07:43
It's strange that a simple discussion about having too many guns to shoot them all often, or buy top quality optics for, has turned into a discussion of survival. I own a lot of stuff I cannot bounce with if SHTF or zombie hordes invade my neighborhood, like my house.

We live in uncertain times, but not every discussion needs to center around the end of the world.

Andy

hotrodder636
06-30-20, 08:59
I find myself looking at my collection once in a while thinking “I never shoot x, y, and z....I could sell them and not miss them” only to never attempt to sell them.

That said, during the stay home this year, I have really begun to think about this. I will be proactively trying to sell of stuff...when I can do for non-crack head prices. Use that money towards some extra T-2s and hopefully a PVS14.

Bubba FAL
07-03-20, 18:17
I have more than a few guns, some would say too many. But my attention drifts from milsurps to cowboy guns to modern tactical stuff, so I naturally have a wide variety of guns. Selling some as interest wanes is not logical, as my interest will be rekindled as time passes. It's kind of handy to have some obscure calibers these days as stuff like 5.56 and 9mm are sold out locally. .30 carbine has been more readily available locally than the above mentioned calibers.