PDA

View Full Version : Black Hills 87 Gr Barnes 556?

markm
06-24-20, 15:40
Anyone know anything about this round? A buddy has a chance to scoop some up.

https://i.imgur.com/HCGNMiO.jpg

FightinQ
06-24-20, 15:48
Semi auto functional subsonic maybe?

markm
06-24-20, 15:50
Semi auto functional subsonic maybe?

Could be.

vicious_cb
06-24-20, 16:45
Anyone know anything about this round? A buddy has a chance to scoop some up.

What kind of bullet is it? solid Cu? OTM? I didnt know Barnes made a 87gr projectile, the only .224 Ive seen that goes that heavy is their 85gr match burners.

markm
06-24-20, 17:28
What kind of bullet is it? solid Cu? OTM? I didnt know Barnes made a 87gr projectile, the only .224 Ive seen that goes that heavy is their 85gr match burners.

No idea. Supposed to be some sort of military load for... "special warefare"

FightinQ
06-24-20, 17:50
No idea. Supposed to be some sort of military load for... "special warefare"So it fell off of some truck. Hah.

Let me know by private message if any of that M855A1 or 955 falls off any more trucks too, asking for a friend up here in Yavapai.

sniperfrog
06-24-20, 18:53
Back in the ‘90s Powell River Labs had an 87gn powdered tungsten core bullet that had a really high BC. The Tier 1 snipers used them because they were frangible for hostage recovery. I got to test a small batch.

PRL went out of business awhile ago so maybe JSOC requested somebody make something similar.

Barnes makes the RRLP bullet so this could be similar but with powdered tungsten. I believe the PRL bullet was about the same length as a 69gn SMK.

markm
06-25-20, 00:21
Barnes makes the RRLP bullet so this could be similar

Yeah. I've loaded and shot hundreds of those for closer steel practice. I'm thinking these are something different.

vicious_cb
06-25-20, 00:34
Back in the ‘90s Powell River Labs had an 87gn powdered tungsten core bullet that had a really high BC. The Tier 1 snipers used them because they were frangible for hostage recovery. I got to test a small batch.

PRL went out of business awhile ago so maybe JSOC requested somebody make something similar.

Barnes makes the RRLP bullet so this could be similar but with powdered tungsten. I believe the PRL bullet was about the same length as a 69gn SMK.

it might be, 87gr is a very specific weight that no other bullet has other than the PRL projectile.

https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/ammo_cross_sections/5.56_87gr_PRL_02.jpg

gaijin
06-25-20, 05:39
This may be your bullet Mark; "Barnes 5.56mm 85 Grain OTM"-

https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/range-report-barnes-5-56mm-85-grain-otm

markm
06-25-20, 08:27

Wow. That's very very close to the load. Our buddy might buy the ammo. If so, we'll have some more info later.

FightinQ
06-25-20, 08:42
Wow. That's very very close to the load. Our buddy might buy the ammo. If so, we'll have some more info later.

Is molon posting here at all? He did a good write up of the 85 MB on TOS.

markm
06-25-20, 09:56
Is molon posting here at all? He did a good write up of the 85 MB on TOS.

I think some dumb asses here crapped him out with stupid replies.

FightinQ
06-25-20, 10:10
I think some dumb asses here crapped him out with stupid replies.That's a shame, he's a wealth of knowledge; many people like to talk about what they think they know. molon was one of those that actually went out and did it, took notes, measurements, and photographs, and then shared everything from an impartial POV.

markm
06-25-20, 11:54
I didn't see it first hand, but I read other replies that indicated goofballs who don't know shit were muddying up his threads with stupidity. It's a shame because those fools are probably not active here now anyways.

markm
06-26-20, 08:30
Looks like my buddy bought the ammo. So we'll post some findings at some point.

Straight Shooter
06-26-20, 09:29
Looks like my buddy bought the ammo. So we'll post some findings at some point.

I was VERY close to popping on a box to chrono and test thru an as yet unfired 20" SPR I only recently finished. Sold out before I could order.
Im very interested in these, looking forward to seeing the results.
Also- Yes, Molon was THE MAN, had actual,factual scientific results & knowledge and some fvckin two box a year "shooters" who read shit in the internet always "knew" more than he did. He ouldnt post shit without some Fudd POS wanting to argue or accuse hime of something.
Same goes for other SME's here...Fudd ALWAYS knows more than they do..'cause Guns & Ammo SAID SO. :angry:

FightinQ
06-26-20, 09:37
Looking forward to the results myself. I always got a kick when he would produce a thread, and suddenly the ammo he was testing would suddenly go out of stock, indirectly causing what I called the "molon effect."

I wish that I had the money he had to test barrels and ammunition like he could. I have the time and the space, just not the money.

markm
06-26-20, 11:21
I was VERY close to popping on a box to chrono and test thru an as yet unfired 20" SPR I only recently finished. Sold out before I could order.

Where did you see this ammo? I don't even know where my buddy got it because this was all thru text.

markm
06-26-20, 11:22
I wish that I had the money he had to test barrels and ammunition like he could. I have the time and the space, just not the money.

I just don't have the patience. I can't stand shooting a 10 round group. He's more thorough than I'm wired to be.

SMFdarkangel
06-26-20, 12:09
Very interested as well.

Agreed! Molon's test threads were incredible. I still reference them often.

FightinQ
06-26-20, 12:26
I just don't have the patience. I can't stand shooting a 10 round group. He's more thorough than I'm wired to be.Challenge accepted. His ten shot groups and the argument for is my standard when I try out new ammo or load develop.

Maybe we should talk in private and arrange a meet up somewhere and make a day of it. Fall is much cooler, too.

markm
06-26-20, 14:28
Challenge accepted. His ten shot groups and the argument for is my standard when I try out new ammo or load develop.

Maybe we should talk in private and arrange a meet up somewhere and make a day of it. Fall is much cooler, too.

That's the other thing... the heat. Trying to stack 10 holes when you're cooking? yuck!

Pappabear
06-26-20, 14:47
I'm splitting a case with a buddy, so range report to follow.

PB

Straight Shooter
06-27-20, 07:59
Where did you see this ammo? I don't even know where my buddy got it because this was all thru text.

Mark-
Im trying to remember, but for the last two months Ive searched so many ammo sellers & ads I cant remember for sure, but for some reason MIDWAY sticks out in my mind. I am most likely wrong. I remember them talking about how it does fit in G.I. spec mags & Pmags.
If yall locate a source please PM me!
Im currently working 6-7 days a week, have been since March..so im not shooting now, just gathering as much LR/Match/Sniper type ammo as I can afford for my 20" precision gun Ive not fired yet.

Straight Shooter
06-27-20, 08:00
I'm splitting a case with a buddy, so range report to follow. Got a little background, this was military offering that got left at a training facility when they didn't shoot it all up and was considered a LR round. We'll see.

PB

Will yall be chronoing this ammo PB?

Straight Shooter
06-27-20, 08:06

Markm-
I believe this is what I was looking at...not the 87gr load you are talking about. Sorry for the mistake sir.

markm
06-27-20, 09:32
Here's a pic of the bullet. (from our buddy) Weighs in at 87.2 grains. 24.2 grains of ball powder behind it.

Supposed to be ammo used for a long range training deal.
https://i.imgur.com/ISW0kgg.jpg

Pappabear
06-27-20, 09:49
Will yall be chronoing this ammo PB?

We will def be chrono-ing the round. I couldn't get my hands on for this Sunday, but next for sure. My buddy that I'm buying it from will probably chrono it about right now, so we might have data sooner.

PB

Pappabear
06-27-20, 13:01
deleted

markm
06-27-20, 13:04
2610 FPS - 20" AR15

2244 FPS - 10.3 MK 18

FightinQ
06-27-20, 13:08
2610 FPS - 20" AR15

2244 FPS - 10.3 MK 18

Dang, I'm guessing that they probably used TAC too as the powder. I'll stick with my Mk262 clones.

markm
06-27-20, 14:03
I think he shot at Cowtown range. Said there was horrible wind, and the ammo was only fired for groups. All groups were MOA or just over.

I can't wait to see how it does at 1000 yards.

Straight Shooter
06-27-20, 20:06
2610 FPS - 20" AR15

2244 FPS - 10.3 MK 18

In your opinion, thats a good velocity for that bullet weight, or is it a tad slow?

Pappabear
06-27-20, 20:33
In your opinion, thats a good velocity for that bullet weight, or is it a tad slow?

Its not too bad at all for that bullet weight. As long as it shoots well. When I look at some of our data comparing our 69 to 77grain, there is 127fps difference.
I have some old data :
Our 77gr SMK out of 10.5 2260fps,
20 inch 2606fps

Our load is not super hot, we go for accuracy over speed.

These are gas guns, Ill try out of a 20 inch bolt and see what we get.

PB

Pappabear
06-27-20, 22:30
It’s fine IMHO, if it’s MOA or sub MOA. Others know more than me, but yes.

PB

markm
06-29-20, 18:41

My reference point is always a 20" barrel because I can never remember all the other lengths/expected velocities we want. So the 2610 strikes me as pretty darn good for such a heavy bullet.

The 10.3 seems a little slow, but I'm looking forward to a frag/yaw test to see what the bullet does out of a shorty.

markm
07-04-20, 16:42
This ammo is interesting. Shot same come up as our 77 TMK load at 1000 yards. So 10 more grains of bullet at the same come up is cool.

Ammo fragged well out of a 10.3 DD Mk 18 at 15 yards. We got some jacket material recovered with the base of the bullet blossomed out.

https://i.imgur.com/mOjBpCK.jpg

Pappabear
07-04-20, 17:44
And it shot MOA with 3/5 shots in a ragged hole. Wind was nasty so it could do better IMHO. Pretty good stuff.

PB

gaijin
07-04-20, 20:36
Impressive trajectory with same come ups as your 77 gr load at assumed lower velocity.
Any idea what BC is?

markm
07-05-20, 01:22
Impressive trajectory with same come ups as your 77 gr load at assumed lower velocity.
Any idea what BC is?

No idea. The odd thing is the ammo is assembled with 07 LC brass. The lot number COULD indicate 09 production?

Ammo showed mild swipes in our buddy's KAC SR whatever gun, but didn't show any pressure signs in the Bolt gun. (different chamber/barrel)

Pappabear
07-06-20, 12:26
Any idea what BC is?

The ammo shot just under our pet 77-grain load in fps. So 10 grains higher and near matched our 77's, BH doing some voodoo velocity shit that's impressive.

PB