PDA

View Full Version : Problem with larue lower. Need help please.

TacticalFun
06-25-20, 17:44
Roll pin stuck. Other side is machined so that you can't use a punch from the other side. Any options besides sending to a smith?62947

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

fledge
06-25-20, 17:50
Why not pinch it with pliers and tap it out with the hammer the way it went in?

Since it isn’t machined on the other side, I suspect it’s supposed to be a pin to screw in rather than punch.

philcam
06-25-20, 17:52
Its been a long time since I messed with a LaRue lower, but if the other side is machined, it's probably threaded for a threaded pin, otherwise how would you ever remove the bolt catch if it was damaged?

I'd try to get a 6 or 12 inch #40 drill bit (aviation supply will have them) and run a drill in reverse to try and back out the pin, sorta like an easy-out bit.

TacticalFun
06-25-20, 17:53
Why not pinch it with pliers and tap it out with the hammer the way it went in?

Since it isn’t machined on the other side, I suspect it’s supposed to be a pin to screw in rather than punch.I tried with the pliers to begin with and could not get it to budge. I have 3 of these lowers and this is the only one that the pin would not go in

TacticalFun
06-25-20, 18:02
Its been a long time since I messed with a LaRue lower, but if the other side is machined, it's probably threaded for a threaded pin, otherwise how would you ever remove the bolt catch if it was damaged?

I'd try to get a 6 or 12 inch #40 drill bit (aviation supply will have them) and run a drill in reverse to try and back out the pin, sorta like an easy-out bit.That is a good idea. Here is what i mean. The magazine release guard area is higher than a normal lower and you can not put a punch in straight.62948

Alex V
06-25-20, 18:04

I'd try to get a 6 or 12 inch #40 drill bit (aviation supply will have them) and run a drill in reverse to try and back out the pin, sorta like an easy-out bit.

Excellent question! Seems like a pretty obvious design flaw. No?

philcam
06-25-20, 18:06
I think a 12 inch bit will have enough flex to get around that. If scratches are a concern to you, put some duct tape over it when you spin the drill.

TacticalFun
06-25-20, 18:12
I think a 12 inch bit will have enough flex to get around that. If scratches are a concern to you, put some duct tape over it when you spin the drill.I will try that thanks

MistWolf
06-25-20, 19:15
Get a long pin punch and drive it back out

greene
06-25-20, 20:12
Brownells makes a roll pin punch that is flat on one side, made specifically for that roll pin. Might work

TacticalFun
06-25-20, 20:17
Brownells makes a roll pin punch that is flat on one side, made specifically for that roll pin. Might workI have those and it does not fit on this lower

Omega9
06-25-20, 20:46
A sacrificial Allen key, a mallet, and tape might work.

philcam
06-25-20, 23:39
Also the thermal expansion of aluminum is about twice that of steel. You could try heating it while pulling on the pin with needle nose pliers.

TacticalFun
06-26-20, 14:05
Also the thermal expansion of aluminum is about twice that of steel. You could try heating it while pulling on the pin with needle nose pliers.It is repaired now. I heated in the oven then was able to pull it out. Drilled to proper size and new pin went in no problem.

philcam
06-26-20, 15:02
It is repaired now. I heated in the oven then was able to pull it out. Drilled to proper size and new pin went in no problem.

Sweet! Time to shoot it!

grizzman
06-26-20, 18:08
The hole isn't threaded? If the bolt catch ever fails (or you just want to upgrade it), there's no easy way to remove the pin?

arptsprt
06-26-20, 18:10
That was my question...

The hole isn't threaded? If the bolt catch ever fails (or you just want to upgrade it), there's no easy way to remove the pin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TacticalFun
06-26-20, 18:10
The hole isn't threaded? If the bolt catch ever fails (or you just want to upgrade it), there's no easy way (or any real way at all) to remove the pin?Hole was not threaded. Pin goes through both sides like a standard ar62955

grizzman
06-26-20, 18:15
Oh, so it is a standard lower, with a slightly more pronounced magazine catch protrusion making it difficult to drive the pin out....but not impossible. I initially looked at the photo from my phone, vs the laptop.

TacticalFun
06-27-20, 18:16
Oh, so it is a standard lower, with a slightly more pronounced magazine catch protrusion making it difficult to drive the pin out....but not impossible. I initially looked at the photo from my phone, vs the laptop.Its just annoying is all. Plus it was out of spec.