PDA

View Full Version : GM Defense wins Infantry Squad Vehicle award

Slater
06-26-20, 18:10
From today's contract announcements:

GM Defense LLC, Detroit, Michigan, was awarded a $214,297,869 firm-fixed-price contract for acquisition of the Infantry Squad Vehicle, installation kits, ancillary hardware and logistical support. Bids were solicited via the internet with three received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of June 24, 2028. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Detroit Arsenal, Michigan, is the contracting activity (W56HZV-20-D-0066).

Interesting that this is based on the Chevy Colorado:

https://www.gmdefensellc.com/content/dam/company/gm-defense/docs/news/2019/ISV_ProductSheet_v05.pdf

Coal Dragger
06-26-20, 18:38
Meh.

No doors, no roof, no LS3. Fail.

Business_Casual
06-26-20, 19:36
Government Motors.

AndyLate
06-26-20, 20:24
Advanced electronic engine, transmission and stability are awesome until they aren't. Trying to break contact in "limp home" mode would be memorable. Of course, it would still be 10X faster than a HMMV.

Andy

Coal Dragger
06-26-20, 22:17
I’ll bet limp mode is programmed out, easy to do when there’s also probably no emissions gear at all.

Alpha-17
06-27-20, 07:57
So, what's the projected role for this thing? Thin-skinned Humvee replacement, SF use? Seems pretty useless as an "infantry squad" vehicle, but that's about par for the course, I guess.

mack7.62
06-27-20, 08:15
Looks like they wanted something that could be carried by a Blackhawk and carry a 9 man squad, I mean come on man you can't expect the Infantry to walk do you. Thing is SOCOM already is using the Oshkosh Defense Ground Mobility Vehicle 1.1 and the Polaris DAGOR A1 looks pretty capable so I wonder what put the GM over the top?

USMC_Anglico
06-27-20, 15:00
This is for light Infantry mobility. Moving supplies, fire support, casevac, etc. Light Infantry companies are not very mobile and this is a program to help rectify that.

The 82nd did a lot of testing with the MRZR line, this Chevy Colorado based vic would not be my 1st choice. Once again GPF choosing a program winner that seems like sub par from the jump.

Averageman
06-27-20, 15:46
So, what's the projected role for this thing? Thin-skinned Humvee replacement, SF use? Seems pretty useless as an "infantry squad" vehicle, but that's about par for the course, I guess.

Someones Mom is going to be really upset when little Jimmy goes to war again in an unarmored Humvee.

Slater
06-27-20, 16:59
If something bad happens, looks like everyone could bail out quickly.

FightinQ
06-27-20, 17:14
It's all cool until the first of many rollovers happen being used recklessly and not mission oriented.

Slater
06-27-20, 17:23
Among the YouTube videos on this vehicle is one where a representative from Jane's Defense Publications is interviewing the program manager for the ISV. General Motors has only recently (2013, IIRC) re-formed their Defense Division after selling the original firm to General Dynamics.

The interviewer asked if any GM shareholders would be uncomfortable with the company getting back into the Defense business. The implication being that, presumably, this would not be a very PC move in today's environment. The GM rep kind of sidestepped the question, but it does raise that kind of mindset. Of course, a $214,297,869 award can't be all bad. It'll be interesting to see if GM chooses to publicize it to any degree.