PDA

View Full Version : Sling use and mount options and opinions?

Sid Post
06-27-20, 15:25
I have been working with my KAC SR-15 LPR and a BFG Vickers sling. My rifle came with a stock and rail (receiver end) QD socket. I added an MLOK QD socket to the front of the rail.

What I am finding is the stock and front rail QD mounts work best for me as a hasty sling when walking around for a quick shot. For carry, it seems to leave the muzzle pretty low so, my left leg tends to hit it and the muzzle ends up pretty close to the ground or things on the ground (weeds, fallen limbs, etc.). I generally have my suppressor attached so, that makes it even worse whether we are talking about hitting things on the ground or my ceiling fan in the house! :laugh:

Looking at various pictures, I see a lot of people using the stock and rear rail QD sockets. To me, this seems like it puts even more weight on the muzzle during carry and working with the sling to shoot standing doesn't seem to work, least with what I am doing. To me, the receiver end rail QD socket seems like the place for a one-point sling and not a good option for a two-point sling. What am I missing? I'd like to keep both hands free but, right now I really need my left hand to control the muzzle. Taking the can off helps but, doesn't really solve the problem either so, I'm left wondering about my technique deficiencies.

I should note that I'm not running all the do-dads for Night Vision and Vampire hunting so, other than a light and suppressor, my muzzle end of the rail is pretty naked.

TIA,
Sid

JediGuy
06-27-20, 15:51
Plenty of people like to run the front QD near the receiver end of the rail (think ALG EMR and KAC UPR as factory examples) and the same for using the QD socket end plate. I think Pat Rogers was a proponent of using them both close to the receiver.

Personally, I run outer side of stock and as far to the front as I have/can place a connection point.

When I ran (mostly dry fire) an 11.3”, using the end plate and ALG EMR’s factory (by receiver) socket kept the weapon very close to my body, but also seemed to allow the two ends to “see-saw” a little when not in my hands. On the positive side, I could have a super “tight” firing position if desired. Both methods work.

L-2
06-27-20, 16:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIrKd5O5XFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMJclRDkML0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGh-tZtKKA

Watch a few videos to see how others are carrying their rifles and the "how" and "why" they're attaching the sling ends where they do.

You might benefit from one of those receiver end plates with a QD mount hole:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tube-hardware/ar-15-m16-quick-detach-receiver-end-plate-prod72460.aspx

Otherwise, you might try some sling usage techniques various videos may show.

monty_d_33
06-27-20, 19:38
Some pretty good advice, I’ve had the opportunity to a part of some pretty long range days with rifles being sling for 10+ hours. That will certainly tell you what you like and don’t. Overall, I prefer tighter than looser. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blade_68
06-28-20, 00:04
A note to add on QD sling swivels keep a eye on them for wear, or you might get a surprise of rifle hitting the ground. Their sockets can wear out fairly fast too in sandy / dusty locations. 😣 Been there. I prefer H&K clips or Magpul for that reason but I do have a few of them left.

06-28-20, 09:20
HK clips will also wear over time. They get egg-shaped. Also, the factory URX4 sockets get surface rust fairly easily. But the number one reason qd socketed rifles hit the ground is user error.

I’ve got a light gun with a 14.5” URX 4 and a VCAS sling. So its similar to your SR15, ergonomically. There are cases to be made for the different configurations. One consideration is how big around you are, and how your armor is set up.

I prefer to use the buttstock as my attachment point, though I included a socket on the Castle nut endcap when I assembled it, just in case I want to try it again. Using the end cap can definitely make the rifle hang higher, but some people find they have to lengthen their sling to the point that it hangs about the same. Its a preference thing, to me, unless of course you have a single point, in which case the endcap makes the most sense.

For a while, I used a MLOK socket at the last 11:00 slot at the muzzle end. I found that I preferred the factory swivel, even though the muzzle hangs a bit lower. It just had an annoying feel with armor that I can’t adequately describe. If I really need to use both hands (I’m a medic) I’ll sling it on my back instead of getting hit in the nuts with the gun and then burying the muzzle in the mud when I kneel. When I transition to pistol, I purposefully push the rifle all the way to the side so its out of the way for the moment. If its really hot, I can also shoot the pistol one handed, and not release the rifle with my left hand. So slight differences in how high the gun hangs are not as huge a deal as you might think. You just have to be familiar with your setup.

I no longer use that gun with a can routinely. It really effs up the balance of an otherwise sweet handling gun and the barrel needs replaced. So I’ve mostly been using my 11.3” with 10” URX4, and I’m using the factory socket on that, also.

The important thing about choosing a spot for your front attachment point is that it shouldn’t interfere with hand placement. Which sounds obvious, but keep in mind awkward positions, shoulder transitions, and botched mag changes in a rush. Because of this, I tend to place my swivel all the way forward, or all the way back, avoiding the center of the handguard.

I tend to just hang the sling around my neck when I’m actually shooting or anticipate doing so, or riding in a vehicle. I use it a little more traditionally in a boat or helo, or foot movement. Get fast with swimming in and out of it so you can switch quickly.

Sid Post
06-28-20, 10:43
A note to add on QD sling swivels keep a eye on them for wear, or you might get a surprise of rifle hitting the ground. Their sockets can wear out fairly fast too in sandy / dusty locations. �� Been there. I prefer H&K clips or Magpul for that reason but I do have a few of them left.

I'm steel on steel and avoided the aluminum options for this specific reason. I'd rather have a little superficial surface rust than a worn-out aluminum QD socket. I live in an area with a lot of sand so, abrasive sand wear was a primary concern with my QD choices. I have KAC QD sling swivels with a BCM steel MLOK mount plus the factory steel insert QD sockets. ;)

Sid Post
06-28-20, 11:11
Thanks everyone! The Poet Warrior video was pretty helpful and gave me some more ideas to try.

I've only 5'6" so, a long-barreled rifle is always going to be close to the ground for someone like myself with most sling carry styles. I wear a medium Polo or 40 Short sport coat. The Poet Warrior gave me some tips to try so I might have a better option with a little experimentation and practice.

I think part of my issue might be coming from a shotgun carried African style. Looped over my left shoulder it was fast and easy to roll 180 degrees on to my right shoulder with a good cheek weld. With the extra length and ACOG, this style of carry isn't working as well for me with this rifle. I also want a little firing support from the sling so, that is causing some of the change in carry method as well.

After being attacked by a neighbors pet, speed of deployment is a concern. I'm out in the country now so, I need a bit more range capability than I get with a good shotgun. I also have feral hogs so, being able to shoot accurate unsupported shots at ~200 yards is important to me. The dogs come so fast, shooting almost needs to reflexive to put lead on target. Cow chasing dogs are a bit different but, more really fast-moving small targets using ground cover to escape once the firing starts. Thankfully, I've knocked down enough of a pack ~15 from an 'animal savior', so that the momma cows and young calves can water themselves again.

MegademiC
06-28-20, 20:02
Stock and handguard towards the receiver works for me. Tight enough to be secure, but I can still use it strong hand.
A quick pull on the tab, or drop my elbow through and I can move it anywhere.