PDA

View Full Version : Safe storage help

ejewels
06-28-20, 10:27
Hey all,

I have a glock, 1911 and AR-15. I wanted to buy a pelican vault v700 case for an all in one solution for safety/home lock-up/storage and transportation. I try and shoot at least once a month but sometimes I can go months without.

I’ve read that storing guns longer term in these cases is bad? I can’t afford a legit gun safe and I live in an apartment in CT. Was hoping to be able to leave them in the pelican for long amounts of time if needed. Seems they make these cases specifically for guns yet people say they trap moisture. Any suggestions?

zombiescometh
06-28-20, 10:37
There are lots of solutions for protecting firearms from moisture and fairly cheap.
Ive hade good luck with rechargeable silica desiccant

If your really worried you could get a cheap stack on cabinet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ejewels
06-28-20, 10:54
Do you store in pelican or foam cases?

zombiescometh
06-28-20, 10:59
Do you store in pelican or foam cases?

I have a pelican storm case but firearms haven’t been stored longer than a week or two.

Have loaded magazines that stay in there and no issues.

ejewels
06-28-20, 11:11
I have a pelican storm case but firearms haven’t been stored longer than a week or two.

Have loaded magazines that stay in there and no issues.

So is a cabinet or safe better because it’s not air tight? I wish there was a way to store in pelicans though

zombiescometh
06-28-20, 11:25
So is a cabinet or safe better because it’s not air tight? I wish there was a way to store in pelicans though

You can store in a case

https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/firearms-ammo-weapons/vci-gun-storage-bags/

Or use some silica desiccant packs

26 Inf
06-28-20, 11:39
Like the others, I don't think it is a good idea for long term.

I don't know how these would do in a pelican case long term:

https://www.bluguardvci.com/shop-velcro/rifle-storage-bag-velcro-seal

https://www.bluguardvci.com/shop-velcro/pistol-storage-bag-velcro-seal

Another option would be to simply remove the foam from the case when you are storing them and place a desiccant packet in with them:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/stack-on-safe-n-dry-moisture-elimination-packets-10-pack

If you use the Pelican as a transport case simply put the foam back in when you go to the range.

I've never stored long term in one of my Pelicans, but I have left shotguns in inexpensive plastic foam lined cases from season to season under the bed without desiccant packets. I've had no problems with rust, but the shotguns are cleaned and oiled when put away.

ejewels
06-28-20, 12:36
Thanks guys. How does everyone else store their stuff if they don’t have a dedicated safe?

n8vmind
06-28-20, 12:51
Consider a stack-on gun cabinet.

ejewels
06-28-20, 16:15
If I got the closed cell kaizen foam and opened the case every month or so to clean and lube and also throw in some selica do you guys think it would be ok?

AndyLate
06-28-20, 18:07
If I got the closed cell kaizen foam and opened the case every month or so to clean and lube and also throw in some selica do you guys think it would be ok?

Like 26 Inf, I kept guns under the bed in plastic/foam cases without rust issues. The Glock and AR are more corrosion resistant than the blued steel and wood guns I left for a year while deployed and my wife was not pulling them out for lube and inspection every month.

Andy

ejewels
06-28-20, 18:48
Like 26 Inf, I kept guns under the bed in plastic/foam cases without rust issues. The Glock and AR are more corrosion resistant than the blued steel and wood guns I left for a year while deployed and my wife was not pulling them out for lube and inspection every month.

Andy
Thanks. Yeah I may just pull the trigger and get the kaizen closed cell foam for the case. Seems dumb to get an expensive locking pelican case just for transport and not also use it as a storage tool.

mark5pt56
06-28-20, 19:11
Placing this in general as it's not fitting in either gun section.

TomMcC
06-28-20, 19:44
If you're not interested in a gun locker, you could use a good rust preventer. I like EEZOX, there are others.

jsbhike
06-28-20, 23:01
Pelican may have beat the problem, but foam and lubes/solvents have the potential to not work and play well together long term as well.

TomMcC
06-28-20, 23:25
It seems like you have to use something, even it it eventually breaks down the foam. Bare metal, or even some wonder coating seems like it would eventually give up in time.

jbjh
06-29-20, 15:40
The guns that I store long(er) term in foam lined cases are all in silicone socks. Should probably do the Mylar bags.

With the Stack-On cabinets, you can add an electric heating element to stabilize the temperature and keep moisture from accumulating, or at least depositing, on the metal surfaces via condensation.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Averageman
06-29-20, 15:48
Thanks guys. How does everyone else store their stuff if they don’t have a dedicated safe?

You can also treat the foam with a paint like material called Plasti-dip. It seems to work pretty good for me.
I used to carry a lot of military equipment in these, a lot of very delicate calibrated tools too. The Plasti-dip stuff fills the foam pretty good. Most of my equipment traveled internationally on .mil flights. I tried to be there for loading , but when I couldn't I was surprised to find how well these cases protected the gear inside.
If I was packing a couple of guns inside, in lieu of a Gun Safe for however long; I would Plasti-dip the foam pretty heavily and find myself a large desiccant bag and make a cut for a desiccant and seal it with palsti-dip

JoshNC
06-29-20, 20:38
Get VCI capsules in addition to the rechargeable Eva Dry desiccant dehumidifiers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003T1H7IA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8AP-Eb6TJGD9C

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD0FN8A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HDP-Eb6XWTFE4

SteyrAUG
06-29-20, 22:48
So until you have a better option.

Clean
Blue Bag
Pelican