PDA

View Full Version : ARMS#40L...Why is this sight desirable?

Double00
11-26-08, 15:08
ARMS #40L Stand Alone Flip Up Rear Sight

When you purchase an Aimpoint M4 , SWFA will give you one of these.

I am not familiar with the 40L. I have a Colt 6920; would this be an upgrade for me? Why is that an incentive? What mkes this sight desirable?

RogerinTPA
11-26-08, 15:50
ARMS #40L Stand Alone Flip Up Rear Sight

When you purchase an Aimpoint M4 , SWFA will give you one of these.

I am not familiar with the 40L. I have a Colt 6920; would this be an upgrade for me? Why is that an incentive? What mkes this sight desirable?

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/RogerTPA/RearSightARMS40L-2T.jpg

I have one mounted on my other AR. It's a good back up iron sight. It is similar to the A2's rear sight, minus elevation, with flip up sight apertures for distance. I would consider it a great upgrade. The incentive is maybe that business is slowing down or they are overstocked on that particular item or just want us to purchase more items. I like it. It's practical, functional, well made and it's free!;)

Dave L.
11-26-08, 15:53
It's not. I have one- in Mint Condition. They are pieces of shit like the rest of the stuff ARMS makes.

If you want an upgrade from a carry handle: Troy/Knights for Flip-ups. For fixed rear sights, LaRue are the most solid, LMT has the features of the A2 but without the carry handle.

Savior 6
11-26-08, 16:32
I'll note too that the 40L has the small apperature in a ready position and fastly deployed. Such that when the 40L is lying flat on the receiver, you simply "slap" the site and it flips up into position with the small apperature ready. The large apperature seems useless to me. IMO it's awesome. And fast.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-26-08, 17:16
the ARMS 40L is really only useful if you need some extra clearance under an optic.

otherwise, just get a Troy BUIS.

Double00
11-26-08, 20:25
Thanks for the input.

I ordered the special to at least get something at no charge. I am not sure if I even need this if it is for long distance targets.

Possibly they will offer something comparable that I could use.

By the way, they indicated the M4 was available and then advised me they were out and it was B/O. If I had known it was not available, I would have probably found another source.

Savior 6
11-27-08, 19:51
If you don't end up liking the 40L, hell, send it to me. It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit. ;)

ARPATRIOT
11-28-08, 13:08
It's not. I have one- in Mint Condition. They are pieces of shit like the rest of the stuff ARMS makes.

If you want an upgrade from a carry handle: Troy/Knights for Flip-ups. For fixed rear sights, LaRue are the most solid, LMT has the features of the A2 but without the carry handle. Just curious,why the ARMS hate?I've had good luck with the products i've purchased fom them.Why are they so popular?Have you had problems with them?

Victor
11-30-08, 01:45

If you want an upgrade from a carry handle: Troy/Knights for Flip-ups. For fixed rear sights, LaRue are the most solid, LMT has the features of the A2 but without the carry handle.

What issues are you specifically talking about with the 40L?

Vic

Dave L.
11-30-08, 02:21
What issues are you specifically talking about with the 40L?

Vic

Victor,
I'm speaking from an operational stand point. My company issues them(and the #40) over here. The springs get tired on them, and I believe the aluminum is weaker than that of other companies. There is too many parts, and when a few of them get loose, the sight can be off by 4-6 inches on a 25 yard zero. I bought one before I new much about rear sights and having owned Troy, Larue, KAC rear BUIS- I would never buy another ARMS rear sight or any other product they make for that matter.
Like I said, I'm sure the stuff is fine for normal shooting courses and training but I have been working with ARMS rails, mounts, BUIS's for the past 2 years and I am extremely unhappy with the way their products perform in a combat environment.
I guess I could sum it up and say, it's not grunt proof.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-30-08, 02:58
the sad thing is that the 40L is the very best thing A.R.M.S makes at this point.....and its not that great compared to MI, Troy, KAC or PRI

the LT i dont group in there, because its not a flip. but it is perhaps the most utilitarian sight around. it works well with an Aimpoint and is essential to have behind an EOTech.

Ridge_Runner_5
11-30-08, 04:37
it works well with an Aimpoint and is essential to have behind an EOTech.

:D
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/AR-15/100_5891.jpg

Parabellum9x19mm
11-30-08, 14:35
i meant the LT standalone fixed BUIS should be mandatory behind the EO - in case it goes down, or goes to auto-shuttoff. i'm not joking either. this is coming from an EO user.

LT EO mount should be mandatory too but...way off topic. shouldnt have mentioned it in the first place.