PDA

View Full Version : New cars are a joke

thepatriot2705
06-28-20, 23:29
Picked up the 19 Colorado last week.
Cooling system = fail. Heater core gurgles until up to temperature. Car play has glitched out multiple times. Found rust on rims behind wheel cover.
Frame is paper thin and I seriously am concerned about how quickly it could rust through in my climate.

What ever happened to a simple pickup truck with a bench seat, manual transmission, beefy suspension and frame?? Shit I don’t even need AC.

duece71
06-28-20, 23:48
Look for a nice used Toyota Tacoma and be done with it. New cars might be garbage, but they are also a complete rip off.

kirkland
06-29-20, 01:12
That's why I drive an 89 F350. Reliable as hell. Ain't great on gas milage though lol

Coal Dragger
06-29-20, 02:52
Didn’t we just tell you in your other thread to buy a Toyota instead?

You failed to heed that good advice.

MikhailBarracuda91
06-29-20, 04:45
I have a Tacoma and the fiance drives a 4runner. Join the YotaMafia

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tigereye
06-29-20, 05:23
I'm a big fan of the used Tundra I got recently.

flenna
06-29-20, 06:10
What ever happened to a simple pickup truck with a bench seat, manual transmission, beefy suspension and frame?? Shit I don’t even need AC.

I am with you there, except with a/c and 4 wheel drive for less than $20k. I don’t need all the whiz-bang gadgetry that makes modern trucks cost $40k+.

jmoore
06-29-20, 06:17
And boy, has Ford gone down the crapper fast!!!!!!
My wife’s 1 year old SUV is on it’s THIRD ENGINE!!!!!!! Validates the old - Fix Or Repair Daily line:). Dealer won’t buy the damn thing back!!!!!
Brings a tear to the eyes of this ol Detroit boy:(

geezer john

pag23
06-29-20, 06:24
Look for a nice used Toyota Tacoma and be done with it. New cars might be garbage, but they are also a complete rip off.

Make sure the frame was replaced or not rotted out...big issue with them in the NE..

MegademiC
06-29-20, 07:56
Cooling system = fail. Heater core gurgles until up to temperature. Car play has glitched out multiple times. Found rust on rims behind wheel cover.
Frame is paper thin and I seriously am concerned about how quickly it could rust through in my climate.

Chevy’s are a joke.

Everyone I know with Ford and Toyota Trucks have had good luck.
Dodge and chevy, had issues.

Corse
06-29-20, 08:22
My wife’s 1 year old SUV is on it’s THIRD ENGINE!!!!!!! Validates the old - Fix Or Repair Daily line:). Dealer won’t buy the damn thing back!!!!!

geezer john

Is it a eco boost/ turbo?

teksid
06-29-20, 08:22
2013 Tacoma 4x4, manual everything. I bought it new for $21,000. Today it has 21,000 miles. It should last a while as long as the frame doesn’t disintegrate.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200629/bb762c30dc02feb672ddf5c6fef82f55.jpg

Nocaster
06-29-20, 08:34

geezer johnFactory buyback is done by Ford, not dealer. The dealer will be reluctant to do it, because it's a bunch of hassle and paperwork basically for free. You need to be talking directly to Ford Motor Company, not the dealership. They are two separate entities.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

markm
06-29-20, 08:35

It AMAZES me that America STILL can NOT build a decent F#$King automobile. I worked at the local Chevy dealership for years as a kid 20 years back.... and learned first hand what complete shit chevy/ford/chrysler kick out.

I can remember as a kid in the 80s watching my Dad lose his shit on our shitty chevy AC delco garbage electronics. I'd rather get shot than spend money on American designed trash.

At least the 70s and earlier era vehicles you could fix yourself.

+1 on finding a Tacoma.

drsal
06-29-20, 08:38
I've purchased two new American made vehicles in the past 20 years, a Ford Expedition, till then only German/Japanese cars. The ford was a complete failure mechanically and had assorted issues of poor interior quality, traded after 3 months for Lexus GX460 that never had any issues. Maybe I had a bad experience, fast forward 1 year, Mustang GT convertible, same thing, mechanical/electrical issues, also drove like crap, two months later...gone. Replaced by Porsche which had one issue (covered by warranty ) in 5 years. Have never bought an American car since, nor will I ever. Yes, I know, you've had an f150 working non stop for 12 million miles or my chevy has 572,000 miles on only one oil change, etc. Sorry, GM, Ford, Chrysler all suck.

Alex V
06-29-20, 09:17
US Army likes the Colorado lol

The Army's new infantry assault buggy will be based on the Chevy Colorado

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/army-infantry-assault-vehicle-gm-defense-contract?fbclid=IwAR24_gQCSvwzb0R1Gzjrn80nu4vkoqsCpHBuBI6WmcSUh3lC3Zuukksv8lI

The vehicle is based off of the 2020 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 midsize truck and leverages 90 percent commercial off-the-shelf parts. The parts include the Multimatic dual spool-valve dampers and Chevrolet Performance suspension components, according to a news release from GM Defense.

The_War_Wagon
06-29-20, 09:19

That sounds like a lemon law case waiting to happen. :eek:

KUSA
06-29-20, 11:11
I’ve got a 2004 F150 FX4 and all I’ve spent on it was gas, tires, and routine maintenance.

Hank6046
06-29-20, 11:42
I have 16 Sierra with the 5.3, no issues at all and I'm almost at 70k miles. My biggest complaint is the paint, stupid thin. I would have gotten the Tundra but I drive about an hour each day to work and the mpg is to low for me. Having said that, a Tundra will probably be my next purchase, the reliability is just better.

Sam
06-29-20, 13:21
I have no eureka moment to offer, everyone has their favorite vehicle and everyone has their absolute hatred for other vehicles. I have my own observation and opinion (everyone has that).

Recently we bought a new car and we've been very happy so far. It is a popular model and brand, one of the top selling vehicles. We bought it to replace a "lemon" that we bought to replace a great car that we totaled. We loved the car that got totaled so much that we bought a similar car by the same manufacturer. It was three years old with low miles when we bought it. We were cruising right along when all hell broke loose. The engine seized up and we were told that we needed a new engine. The new engine, repair and rental car was all free due to the major recall that they have on the certain engine in their line up. We found out that there are over 2 million cars being recalled. When we were waiting for our new engine, the dealer told me that there were 50+ other cars in their shop waiting for new engines. Even with the new engine the car never did run right for the next year, we took it back four times in 10 months for repairs. My wife lost confidence in it and we decided to shop for another car.

I did some research that took weeks. Every time I think I found a car that would suit us, there were recalls. I found out just about every manufacturers/models have some kind of recall, from something as minor as bad floor mats to major engine that catch on fire or stall. We looked at Japanese, Korean, American and European brands. We talked to independent mechanics. Most of them say that Toyota/Lexus and Honda have the least problem. Also that Ford used to be great until they load their cars/trucks with technologies. That there are lots of problems with GM. We asked friends and family. We eliminated a lot and ended with with the popular brand we have.

We also have a 20 year old Ford super SUV that never had any problem except for age. Our mechanic said that they don't build Ford tough like that anymore. It is our large item carrier and hauler. It doesn't have much electronic gizmo and sensors like our current model. I wish our new car would have less gadgets and thus cost a couple thousand less.

So do your research, serious research, don't let emotion or brand loyalty dictate what to buy. Just because you've owned three Fords/Chevy/Toyota, etc. in the last 30 years doesn't mean the next one will be troublefree.

vicious_cb
06-29-20, 14:03
Just bought a new Toyota this year before they refreshed the line. Either buy new now or buy used, cars aint getting any cheaper. Prices will go up due to ever increasing emissions standards, increased safety standards and all the tech they're cramming in cars.

I purchased a relativity low tech model with mostly analog controls on purpose, I dont want a tablet crammed into my dash thats probably gonna break in 5 years that wont allow me to adjust the HVAC system when it goes.

flenna
06-29-20, 18:24
2013 Tacoma 4x4, manual everything. I bought it new for $21,000. Today it has 21,000 miles. It should last a while as long as the frame doesn’t disintegrate.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200629/bb762c30dc02feb672ddf5c6fef82f55.jpg

Does that have the 22RE engine in it? If so, that thing is bullet proof. It should last you forever.

Mozart
06-29-20, 18:56
American car companies are defenseless against the UAW. Blame them for vehicles made to a strict low budget, but then sold to the customer for ever increasing prices . . . . . . . . they’re all trying to pay their employees $80k / yr plus insurance and pension. To screw some bolts onto a chassis. For 20-30 years at least, they have been insurance and pension companies that occasionally see about producing a shitty vehicle.

Also, I agree. Toyota. But do as some have said: buy one with a frame that’s in good shape, and keep after the rust forming. Sand down to bare metal, paint, then hit it with Fluid Film. Annually.

teksid
06-29-20, 18:56
Delete

thepatriot2705
06-29-20, 19:07
Does that have the 22RE engine in it? If so, that thing is bullet proof. It should last you forever.

I’d kill for that truck. Anything I looked at had 100k+ miles and over 15k. I paid 20k for new colorado

THCDDM4
06-29-20, 23:23

22RE was 1983-1995 models. That 2013 taco has a 1GRFE. Another great toyota engine.

I just sold a 2018 4runner 1GRFE with 250K on it that was in amazing shape and still going strong. Family grew and I needed more space, so a Sequioa was the way I had to go.

I would have taken that 1GRFE to 500K and beyond given the opportunity.

It’s too bad American auto company vehicles are a joke. Notice how I didn’t say “American made”?

The Colorado has a slew of problems with every gen. I would have jumped on one in a heartbeat had they made it well.

OH58D
06-30-20, 11:33
Sometimes Land Rovers are jokes. This one I bought brand new in June 1994 (built in March 1994). Just checked the odometer and it has 281,524 miles on it. Same engine, transmission, but it is a 5 speed. Replaced the clutch at 110,000 miles. Has a 3.9 Liter V8, 241 cubic inch aluminium block. Electronics on British vehicles are jokes. No cruise control in who knows how long...
https://i.imgur.com/shpPEKth.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DfyjTbgh.jpg

HKGuns
06-30-20, 11:46
Every company makes lemons, including TOYota. Labeling any company as crap or infallible is simply ignorant.

Yes, this has a twin turbo 3.5L that puts out 450 horsepower and 460 pound feet of torque. Wouldn't trade it for a V8 for all the Covid in China.

Gas - Oil - Filters and tires only. ETA: This hasn't been used as a Mall crawler either. Those lights are on there because it is used for serious off road use. Last fall took it out in fresh 32" of snow, the first time I actually HAD to use the rear locker and went through it like it wasn't even there. The snow was so deep it was being pushed over the hood and obstructing my vision after piling on the windshield. Short video of that drive below as well.

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p2993665939-5.jpg

https://youtu.be/FDauSahIICQ

OH58D
06-30-20, 11:49
Every company makes lemons, including TOYota. Gas - Oil - Filters and tires only. Labeling any company as crap or infallible is simply ignorant.

Yes, this has a twin turbo 3.5L that puts out 450 horsepower and 460 pound feet of torque. Wouldn't trade it for a V8 for all the Covid in China.

My wife drives a 2014 SVT Raptor Crew Cab and it seems pretty spunky with that 6.2L Boss Engine.

HKGuns
06-30-20, 11:55
My wife drives a 2014 SVT Raptor Crew Cab and it seems pretty spunky with that 6.2L Boss Engine.

Wanna race?;)

OH58D
06-30-20, 12:01
Wanna race?;)
Ask the wife. We've got some long straight two-lane blacktop out here 10 miles or more that you may see 3 or 4 cars in a single day. I've got 16 miles miles of dirt driveway with plenty of washboard she'd give you a run for your money on.

joedirt199
07-03-20, 20:58
Stepped into a 2014 tundra 1794 edition and it rocks. Big step up from the 03 dakota I had for 15 years. Kept the miles under 100k on it since I had a take home car. The tundra has just under 150k on it and was somebody's driver for sure but it will have an easier life now. My son loves the "beast mode" on it. Turn off the traction controls and turn on towing really lets the engine do what it does best.

My father in law is a diehard union guy and has to hide his enjoyment when he rides in it. I said it was built in Texas by Americans and our nissan maxima was built in Tennessee, not like the domestic shit that was built in mexico and shipped in.

thepatriot2705
07-03-20, 23:23
Found more rust on interior components. When I was a kid, I always said I would only buy American made cars. Never again. Toyota for my next truck or a Hyundai or Honda for a car if I ever buy one.

The Colorado with the 2.5 and six speed runs great. I just question its build quality which is never a good feeling with a 2 week old car.

Shitty thing is it’s the only vehicle that made sense to purchase. I’m unlike the average American and don’t want a 30k+ car loan and I don’t want to spend 25k on a vehicle (Tacoma’s) with 65k miles.

On the subject, the average car loan now is 32k and they have 7 year loans. Outrageous.

cdb
07-04-20, 06:41
When I was a kid, I always said I would only buy American made cars. Never again. Toyota for my next truck or a Hyundai or Honda for a car if I ever buy one.

The Tundra is made in America by Americans. I've toured the plant in San Antonio and talked with some of the folks who make them. They've got a great facility and appears to be damned-well run.

matemike
07-04-20, 07:01
My 2011 6.2L Sierra is getting old. 140k miles and everything on it still works. Had to change the battery a couple times and recently had a loud wheel bearing so I changed out both front hubs and brake rotors and pads all around. Rides smooth as ever. I’ve kept it in the garage and clean and wax meticulously every chance I get. Gas mileage is bad, but I just can’t get my mind around swapping to something new that could be problematic. I’ve got a handful of friends who want to buy it if I ever sell it.

Arik
07-04-20, 09:07
Found more rust on interior components. When I was a kid, I always said I would only buy American made cars. Never again. Toyota for my next truck or a Hyundai or Honda for a car if I ever buy one.

The Colorado with the 2.5 and six speed runs great. I just question its build quality which is never a good feeling with a 2 week old car.

Shitty thing is it’s the only vehicle that made sense to purchase. I’m unlike the average American and don’t want a 30k+ car loan and I don’t want to spend 25k on a vehicle (Tacoma’s) with 65k miles.

On the subject, the average car loan now is 32k and they have 7 year loans. Outrageous.Names don't mean anything anymore. They are literally just names and don't indicate where it was made or by whom. For a while in the early 2000s certain Chevy and Pontiac cars were nothing but rebadged Toyotas. Isuzu made some Hondas. Nissan might be made in the USA but is owned by Renault. The Global Engine Alliance is a joint venture between Hyundai, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi. Meanwhile Chrysler is owned by Fiat. Mazda and Subaru buy their transmissions from the same manufacturer. Ford and Mazda had a relationship. The list goes on and on....

Det-Sog
07-04-20, 09:34
Wanna race?;)

Play nice. I have to admit, the Gen2 is a better truck. I just traded my 2014 in for a 2020. The new 2020 will run circles around the 2014. The V8 just sounded better. Not going to lie, I miss the sound.

No mall crawler here either. USA vehicles still kick butt. You just have to spend a bit and buy a good one. If price is your target, you WILL get what you pay for.

3 AE
07-04-20, 10:17
I only owned four vehicles in my lifetime. A 1980 Ford F-100, 1984 VW Jetta GLI, 1999 Chrysler Concorde, and 2018 Subaru Forester. American made, German made, Canadian made, and Japanese made. Never had any major problems with the first three. Too early to tell with the Subaru. It's an OK car for what I need at this stage in my life. It's just a boring car to drive. It's the base model and yet the the screen can tell me nine different ways of what my MPG is and what percentage the gas pedal is depressed. Yet it doesn't even have a coolant temperature readout. Just an "idiot light" that shows blue when it's cold, amber if it's getting hot, and red when it's having a meltdown! Shit, the only thing I do as far as maintenance goes is changing out the engine air and cabin air filters. The rest is done at the dealer. God, I've become lazy in my sixties!

If I could bring back one of the previous three, it would be the F-100. Base model truck but I loved that engine, 4.9 liter/300 C.I.D. inline 6 cylinder beast. The easiest engine I ever worked on. I bet some of you guys can remember when we did are own tune-ups. It was a right of passage. I bought one of those aftermarket engine manuals that walked you through the procedure. Bought the spark plug gage, feeler gage, timing light, etc. After an hour of reading the manual, I went at it. Check and gap the plugs, check and adjust idle, set the timing, change out air and oil filters, change out the oil, and sit back with a cold beer when I was done, patting myself on the back. You could tell by the look on a man's face when you told him you did your own tune-ups, if it was a look of respect or one of envy.

I digress now, I don't know if these new cars are a joke as much as they do more to isolate the driver from the actual operation of the vehicle. There's more distraction in the "cockpit" then there needs to be. I guess it comes down to prioritizing your needs and then go out and talk to mechanics, internet forums, etc. to determine which vehicle meets your requirements within the budget you set. Really no different than selecting the right AR for the mission!

ChattanoogaPhil
07-04-20, 13:15
The biggest problem with Toyota trucks is that there's no need to buy a new truck for the next 20 years or longer.

2000 Tundra 4X4. On the way to 300,000...

https://i.imgur.com/uF5SGJR.jpg

1986s4
07-04-20, 13:34
I'm solid Toyota too. Every Toyota I've bought has been awesome reliability wise and all were bought used. Every Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat I've had [2] was a total POS. Now aside from the engines, transmissions, brakes and electrical they were OK.....
Never again, my current ride is a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser and it's getting on to 181,000 and I think I'm just breaking it in..

Brimstone
07-04-20, 14:56
A truck would be way more practical for me, but the Jeep is way more fun. Having said that, mine is a 2012 and made in America. I have never had a single problem with it, but I am diligent about maintenance.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200704/22bbe2fadcba1cb15b08858b8f84ffbb.jpg

AndyLate
07-04-20, 15:56
Well, my '48 Willys CJ2 is pretty easy to work on but it's also in pieces in my garage right now. Fun to drive and quick up to about 50 mph, not a really good daily driver. I want to get an early CJ5 and drop a TBI GM V6 and 4 speed in it for a daily driver, but for now my 2018 Silverado 5.3 Z71 is fine.

Andy

AKDoug
07-04-20, 19:39
22RE was 1983-1995 models. That 2013 taco has a 1GRFE. Another great toyota engine.

I just sold a 2018 4runner 1GRFE with 250K on it that was in amazing shape and still going strong. Family grew and I needed more space, so a Sequioa was the way I had to go.

I would have taken that 1GRFE to 500K and beyond given the opportunity.

It’s too bad American auto company vehicles are a joke. Notice how I didn’t say “American made”?

The Colorado has a slew of problems with every gen. I would have jumped on one in a heartbeat had they made it well.

A 2018 with 250K on it? That has to be a typo ??

Anyhow, if Toyota made a diesel 1 ton I'd be all over it. Alas, they do not and I'm one of those rare dudes that really uses a 1 ton for work. 26K on my 2019 Ram 3500, 14K of it towing. Most of my towing is in excess of 17K#.

1986s4
07-05-20, 08:01
Well, my '48 Willys CJ2 is pretty easy to work on but it's also in pieces in my garage right now. Fun to drive and quick up to about 50 mph, not a really good daily driver. I want to get an early CJ5 and drop a TBI GM V6 and 4 speed in it for a daily driver, but for now my 2018 Silverado 5.3 Z71 is fine.

Andy

Years ago I bought a '58 CJ5 that wasn't running. I rebuilt everything in it and got myself a good education in the process. Number 1 lesson; new cars are better, safer and faster.

THCDDM4
07-05-20, 08:13
A 2018 with 250K on it? That has to be a typo ??

Anyhow, if Toyota made a diesel 1 ton I'd be all over it. Alas, they do not and I'm one of those rare dudes that really uses a 1 ton for work. 26K on my 2019 Ram 3500, 14K of it towing. Most of my towing is in excess of 17K#.

Yep, typo. 2008 4runner, not 2018.

Toyota makes one of the best diesels out there in the Hilux, they just don’t sell them in the USA. It pisses me right off, I’d be all over a d4d toyota diesel.

Although, at 17K #’s of toeing- doubt it would fit your needs.

1986s4
07-05-20, 08:18
Big agree here ! I would love a diesel in my FJ Cruiser !

Arik
07-05-20, 08:57
Yep, typo. 2008 4runner, not 2018.

Toyota makes one of the best diesels out there in the Hilux, they just don’t sell them in the USA. It pisses me right off, I’d be all over a d4d toyota diesel.

Although, at 17K #’s of toeing- doubt it would fit your needs.I've seen RHD diesel land cruisers for sale. You can import them. And if coming from Japan they usually have low mileage. Generally speaking Japanese don't drive much and consider a car with 50k miles high mileage.

HardToHandle
07-05-20, 09:00
I only owned four vehicles in my lifetime. A 1980 Ford F-100, 1984 VW Jetta GLI, 1999 Chrysler Concorde, and 2018 Subaru Forester.

You are probably way smarter than most of us. You are almost certainly way financially ahead.

In the last 15 years, I have probably had about ten vehicles. A mix of take-home work vehicles and personally-owned. Presently have two Fords and a Lexus in driveway. Various lessons learned, but major pertinent thoughts:
- GM? Hell no! Had the previous body GMC Canyon small pickup. Even in a higher trim, every penny pinched to include cheapest fasteners and plastic.
- Fiat-Chrysler? No way. Actually liked the Caravans, which they seem to know how to make. Trucks are iffy. Italian industrial policy? I think not.

My biggest complaint these days is finding a basic model Toyota. That seems a unicorn.

Arik
07-05-20, 09:17
Somewhere here or in the other car thread someone mentioned Toyota being old tech, which is true, and that's what I love about them. Using something that's been proven instead of switching it up every few years and chasing gremlins. Their old 4.7 V8 were solid and know for going a million miles. Same with the 2.2 and 2.7 4cyl. My Solara with the 2.2 4cyl went 300k miles without much maintenance. Almost no maintenance really.

To be fair it's not just about Toyotas. Ford 4.6 V8 that was used in trucks, Lincoln Towncars and Crown Vics. As well as the 4.0 v6. Chevy's 4.2lt v6 and 5.7. Jeep's old 4.0 straight six!! Honda's 2.2 4cyl

I know I'm forgetting a bunch more. This is just what comes to mind immediately. That's what I love about them. Rugged and ultra low AND inexpensive maintenance.

Arik
07-05-20, 09:24
You are probably way smarter than most of us. You are almost certainly way financially ahead.

Yea no kidding. Between 18 and 25 I probably had 6 or 7 cars. At one point I had 2 cars and a motorcycle and I was something like 22 at the time. They weren't expensive but I liked cars for different reasons. I wanted a sports car so I drove around in a 94 Camaro but it wasn't good in the snow so I bought an old Bronco II for $800

THCDDM4
07-05-20, 10:21
Somewhere here or in the other car thread someone mentioned Toyota being old tech, which is true, and that's what I love about them. Using something that's been proven instead of switching it up every few years and chasing gremlins. Their old 4.7 V8 were solid and know for going a million miles. Same with the 2.2 and 2.7 4cyl. My Solara with the 2.2 4cyl went 300k miles without much maintenance. Almost no maintenance really.

To be fair it's not just about Toyotas. Ford 4.6 V8 that was used in trucks, Lincoln Towncars and Crown Vics. As well as the 4.0 v6. Chevy's 4.2lt v6 and 5.7. Jeep's old 4.0 straight six!! Honda's 2.2 4cyl

I know I'm forgetting a bunch more. This is just what comes to mind immediately. That's what I love about them. Rugged and ultra low AND inexpensive maintenance.

Yep, that was me. It’s funny, it’s the biggest complaint about Toyota and also at the same time one of their greatest strengths. They put a good deal of time, money and intention in engineering a durable engine and drivetrain and then stick with it for a long time making small refinements over its life.

It’s one of my favorite things about Toyota. But I always hear people complaining about it.

They’re used to Ford and Chevy having 20 different engines to choose from, which is cool to have options, however Ford and Chevy never seem to get it right with That whole long lasting Concept.

Don’t get me wrong, they don’t make crap, they just don’t engineer things to last a long time in a quantity scale. I always hear stories of “my Ford lasted XXXXXX miles with no issues” and for sure they can make some good ones, same as Chevy.

The problem comes from a larger sample size and the broad issues they have over and over again with drivetrains.

I’ve owned a few fords, and a few chevys. The thing they all had in common was right around 130-150k the transmissions started to have issues. Slipping, not able to stay in the power band, etc.

Toyota’s can have issues as well, just as all manufacturers do, but on a quantity scale they have far fewer and the interval is much longer.

That 5 speed transmission on the 1grfe I had was basically brand new at 250K.

One of the biggest complaints is “I hate Toyota’s 5 speed or 6 speed, why not an 8 or 10 speed”. Well look at all the issues with other manufacturers 8 and 10 speeds and that’s your answer right there.

I’ll take bullet proof reliable Over better mpg any day. I’ll take tried and true work horse over unknown quantity any day.

I’d love to see toyota offer their diesel Engine lines here without having to Pay the tax/import them. That would be a game changer.

I’ve owned and wrenched on a lot of vehicles over the years. Toyota has given me consistent reliability and ease of use from a maintenance stand point. They are engineered very well and by far the easiest vehicles to work on at the home garage.

I have spread sheets on every vehicle I have owned, what maintenance I did, when I did it and How much it cost.

Looking through the data, Toyota always comes out as the lowest lifecycle cost and the best return on investment for me, by a large margin.

Tony617
07-05-20, 16:11
I have a 1993 Nissan King Cab 4x4. Everything mostly works except the cruise control. The cruise control still works but when I use it the the truck doesn’t throughly stop. I have to put truck in neutral to keep from rolling though a stop sign or red light. I don’t use the cruise control now.

I have had tires, shocks, and brakes replaced over the years. The only that needs to replaced are the timing belts. I just take into the shop for those. It has the V6 3.0L engine with automatic transmission. It has the auto locking hubs so just slow down to 20 mph or slower and shift in to 4x4 mode. We only use 4 wheel drive when it snows.

Coal Dragger
07-05-20, 18:06
Yep, that was me. It’s funny, it’s the biggest complaint about Toyota and also at the same time one of their greatest strengths. They put a good deal of time, money and intention in engineering a durable engine and drivetrain and then stick with it for a long time making small refinements over its life.

It’s one of my favorite things about Toyota. But I always hear people complaining about it.

They’re used to Ford and Chevy having 20 different engines to choose from, which is cool to have options, however Ford and Chevy never seem to get it right with That whole long lasting Concept.

Don’t get me wrong, they don’t make crap, they just don’t engineer things to last a long time in a quantity scale. I always hear stories of “my Ford lasted XXXXXX miles with no issues” and for sure they can make some good ones, same as Chevy.

The problem comes from a larger sample size and the broad issues they have over and over again with drivetrains.

I’ve owned a few fords, and a few chevys. The thing they all had in common was right around 130-150k the transmissions started to have issues. Slipping, not able to stay in the power band, etc.

Toyota’s can have issues as well, just as all manufacturers do, but on a quantity scale they have far fewer and the interval is much longer.

That 5 speed transmission on the 1grfe I had was basically brand new at 250K.

One of the biggest complaints is “I hate Toyota’s 5 speed or 6 speed, why not an 8 or 10 speed”. Well look at all the issues with other manufacturers 8 and 10 speeds and that’s your answer right there.

I’ll take bullet proof reliable Over better mpg any day. I’ll take tried and true work horse over unknown quantity any day.

I’d love to see toyota offer their diesel Engine lines here without having to Pay the tax/import them. That would be a game changer.

I’ve owned and wrenched on a lot of vehicles over the years. Toyota has given me consistent reliability and ease of use from a maintenance stand point. They are engineered very well and by far the easiest vehicles to work on at the home garage.

I have spread sheets on every vehicle I have owned, what maintenance I did, when I did it and How much it cost.

Looking through the data, Toyota always comes out as the lowest lifecycle cost and the best return on investment for me, by a large margin.

I’m biding my time for Toyota to bring a new Tundra. My 2007 is still running just fine at 137K trouble free miles. Starting to show it’s age though, has a bit of rust in the bed and driver side doors, although only the passenger side sheet metal and paint are original thanks to hail damage. The Toyota original paint and metal are all fine and rust free.

The 5.7L and 6 speed auto still get the truck up to speed and down the road like the day I drive it off the dealer lot. Probably should do new spark plugs and a transmission fluid change/flush before this fall. Finally needs new brake pads, but the rotors still have a ton of material and no glazing or cracking. Shocks could stand to be replaced but just because I never liked them, they still work fine though. Interior is still in good shape and everything still works.

Kind of tough to complain about a nearly 14 year old truck that has given me basically no compelling reasons at all to get a new truck. At least not from a quality/reliability/durability standpoint.

07-05-20, 19:56

I am prepared to purchase, right now, cash, a proper 3rd world spec diesel Hilux with manual trans. If the interior panels and radio are ripped out and it starts with a screwdriver, thats fine. Working AC is optional, but would be nice.

kirkland
07-05-20, 19:58
I don't know if this has already been mentioned. But another bullshit thing about new cars is that they can be disabled remotely. I dunno about you but I have no interest in owning a car that can be disabled by some person sitting at a computer.

thepatriot2705
07-05-20, 21:36
I don't know if this has already been mentioned. But another bullshit thing about new cars is that they can be disabled remotely. I dunno about you but I have no interest in owning a car that can be disabled by some person sitting at a computer.

This x1000000
I’m not a huge fan of ECUs being connected to infotainment centers. Critical vehicle functions should be on a closed system that require physical access.

As an aside, I think any mfg who released a barebones truck would kill it on the fleet side.

4x4, manual or auto trans, turbo-diesel, and bench seats. I can dream...

thepatriot2705
07-05-20, 21:37
deleted

Coal Dragger
07-05-20, 22:16
This x1000000
I’m not a huge fan of ECUs being connected to infotainment centers. Critical vehicle functions should be on a closed system that require physical access.

As an aside, I think any mfg who released a barebones truck would kill it on the fleet side.

4x4, manual or auto trans, turbo-diesel, and bench seats. I can dream...

LOL manual transmission for fleet sales.

NOPE.

Ned Christiansen
07-06-20, 08:46
I worked in the injection molding industry for a number of years, serving the Big Three. The corporate culture of the auto industry is not a nice one nor an efficient one nor a scrupulous one. Quality and safety come it at a distant, distant third place behind money. We see it often in recalls and safety warnings. For each of those that is known I'm sure there are many others that are present, waiting to be discovered. Their main goal most of the time was not quality parts on time, they put everything they could in the way of that.... the mail goal always seemed to be that we did not make any money on it. They constantly squeezed for pennies, and then strung out payment to the point where a lot of places could not stay in business. Then there was the time when they said, "hey, you know that $1.4 million we did with you last year? We want 15% back. Oh it's not mandatory..... but if you want to ever do business with us again, we recommend doing it." How nobody went to jail for that I do not know. It was a constant theme: "If you don't take a loss on this program, we won't give you a shot at the next no-profit program".

There is very little corporate memory retention, in other words, there is not really 120 years of experience building our cars. Many (certainly not all, but many) of the engineers I worked with had lots of education but little experience and many lacked common sense, which, once they were indoctrinated into the industry culture, was replaced with a threatening, mean-spiritedness. This came down from the top and was, simply, policy. Nice guys, even smart nice guys, were not what they wanted.

I could write a book, but I'm glad to be away from it and into something where all my customers, all of them, are great people to deal with.

Adrenaline_6
07-06-20, 10:18
There is a rumor of a twin turbo V8 going into a Tundra ala Lexus. Raptors beware.

Det-Sog
07-06-20, 12:02
There is a rumor of a twin turbo V8 going into a Tundra ala Lexus. Raptors beware.

The Lexus version of the Raptor will cost 90-100K just like the TRX will. Not a threat as it is not in the same price point.

I look forward to this though as Ford will simply be forced to up the game.