PDA

View Full Version : tech you like/love ?

Honu
06-29-20, 18:56
OK a way from the doom gloom for a bit

SO what tech has been a game changer ?
Anything you love so much cant do without these days ?

I still consume media and communicate with others The world has not ended yet for me :)

I like tech always have we have a few iPads since the 2nd one came out and like them I recently got a magic keyboard huge gulp at $350 but WOW its change the iPad for me big time

My daughter starting to take college courses is using the iPad about %95 of her work and only uses the computer for certain testing that is required and soon for using Adobe software

Computer wise
We have 3 mac pros and a well built PC here (intel 7820 chip 1080 GPU 32GB all NVMe storage) for our home office so no lack of “real” computers So its not hard for me to walk into office

But reality over this year the iPad for me has become my main go to for email consuming media any online shopping organizing calendar to do activity workouts taking with me etc... And again the way to pricey keyboard has been a game changer way more then I thought

Why over a laptop ? Instant on and when I pull it open all my work is there ready to go where I left off something computers can not do that well yet ! Battery can go out all day never worry and the weight is still less and the interaction I do think is superior

Things it can not do is any real adobe work we do for our business and any kinda camera tethering I do for mine
But with the apple going arm that might change and I am looking forward to see where this goes big time cause a iPad would be the perfect camera tethering device IMHO :)
For non tech commercial photography shooting direct to a computer so client can see what’s going on as well as I can on a larger screen checking focus and so on and often doing cover overlays etc...

Only until this year has the iPad become a real tool until then it was fun tech and a side line but its now moved to frontline for me as a must have option

Would love to hear others thoughts on tech they love

SteyrAUG
06-29-20, 19:00
So THIS year, I finally used my phone to look up things online. Prior to that it was phone / text only.

Might have been 5 years ago that I sent my first text message.

jmoore
06-29-20, 19:25
If it’s flat & black - I can do without. I know - would prevent accessing all the lists I visit:). But NONE OF IT WORKS AS IT SHOULD, WHEN IT SHOULD!!!!! If my car had to be turned off and back on as often as I have to reboot some flat, black POS - well, I’d be ridin a horse:). And yes, used to have a horse!!!

Best “tech” in the last 50+ years is the reminder chime that tells you your headlights are on:):):)

geezer john

thepatriot2705
06-29-20, 19:36
Millennial here. Used to love technology. Pretty much hate any new tech that has come out the past 15-20 years. I think I’d rather ride a horse at this point. Or give me a car with a distributor and no goofy computers.

Straight Shooter
06-29-20, 19:48
What I have to do, is to remember anytime Im wondering about anything...I can go to the "magic box" & look it up and not wonder anymore.
It doesnt come natural..after like 5 minutes Im like.." oh yeah, just look it up dummy".
Ive lived way longer without this computer/cell phone stuff than with it...

officerX
06-29-20, 20:15
iPhone

Call
Text
GPS
Internet
Games
Camera
Alarm clock
Music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

elephant
06-30-20, 01:31
iPhone
3D printer
apple watch

Mozart
06-30-20, 04:34
I’d like to think that I can live easily without any tech at all, but that would be a lie.

iPhone. That’s the big one. 90% of my answer. But

I enjoy using my Anova Sous Vide device for cooking meats these days.

4K TV, nice selection of content to watch, Xbox One with Rainbow Six Seige.

I like my truck, my white-noise maker next to my bed, my bed itself (tempur-pedic), idk I guess that’s really about it? I like my MiM Fender Strat and P Bass (Player series) . . . . Decent instruments for the money.

Aries144
06-30-20, 04:45
Glad you like yours, but I honestly hate smart phones. I hate that they're always listening to you, tracking you, essentially building a psych profile on you, and I hate that I have to relearn everything that I grew used to from Windows 95 on.

The one new exciting tech for me has been VR for playing games. Not so much the ones where you stand up with the controllers, but the sit-down ones where you drive or fly.

As a kid who dreamed about being a fighter pilot, flying an F-5E or an F-14 with DCS in VR is absolutely incredible. If you've ever sat in a fighter cockpit in a museum, it feels just like that with VR. DCS is intended to be a study level simulation, so you have as much switch flipping and systems complexity as you want. You can fly with buddies too via multiplayer.

Over the past five years, I pinched pennies, bought broken controllers on ebay to fix, and ended up with a complete reproduction fighter jet stick, throttle, and rudder pedals. I got so into it I eventually picked up a pair of controllers that you wear like rings to use for flicking switches in the virtual cockpit and a seat pad with several motors in it that the game interfaces with to simulate bumps and vibrations from taxiing over seams in the taxiway, turbulence, high AoA buffet, etc.

When I can't get away from home due to money or time, flying in VR works well for some stress relief.

VR is the one Beyond 2000 promise that hasn't disappointed.

Arik
06-30-20, 11:08
Neh. In fact I find myself often looking to buy old stuff. I'm not going to buy a 1980s tv but I would have no problem with a 1990 car. My cellphone is old but I like this model and they stopped making it so if I switch it'll be when this one is completely dead. Like a decade ago I was gifted an iPad. It was cool for literally 5 min.

I like the idea of 3D printers but I don't have the patience or desire to research, spend that money or try to figure it out. If I bought one it would just make it out of the box before I'd loose interest. If it needs assembly I may not even get that far.

My phone is about 5 years old. My work PC is at least a decade old. My TV is 11 years old and my car is 13 years old and bought 2 years ago!

El Vaquero
06-30-20, 14:28
Going wireless. I enjoy my Bluetooth headphones and music on my phone. Having grown up with the Sony Walkman tape player then portable CD player and all the problems and inconveniences associated with each of those make me really going completely wireless. Cords suck.

markm
06-30-20, 15:03
Glad you like yours, but I honestly hate smart phones. I hate that they're always listening to you, tracking you, essentially building a psych profile on you,

Same here. I bought a flip video camera so we could film sterile gun videos (no meta data or whatever it's called)

I'd go back to my slider phone with a keyboard, but everyone else I know sends me shit that's non-compatible... so you're nearly forced into having a smart phone.

Aries144
06-30-20, 17:50
Same here. I bought a flip video camera so we could film sterile gun videos (no meta data or whatever it's called)

I'd go back to my slider phone with a keyboard, but everyone else I know sends me shit that's non-compatible... so you're nearly forced into having a smart phone.

Yup. I got cajoled into it after my cheap phone died.

Honu
06-30-20, 19:23
I’d like to think that I can live easily without any tech at all, but that would be a lie.

iPhone. That’s the big one. 90% of my answer. But

I enjoy using my Anova Sous Vide device for cooking meats these days.

4K TV, nice selection of content to watch, Xbox One with Rainbow Six Seige.

I like my truck, my white-noise maker next to my bed, my bed itself (tempur-pedic), idk I guess that’s really about it? I like my MiM Fender Strat and P Bass (Player series) . . . . Decent instruments for the money.

I eat mostly meat %90 carnivore and %10 keto so I sous vide everything all the time reckon 5 meals a week or so and then just use a torch to finish off :)
not sure if you watch the sous vide everything guy on youtube (guga) great channel

finally did a pot roast (chuck) the other day 24 hours did a pre torch kinda reverse sear and then sous vide and WOW reminded me a lot of really good prime rib was not the typical pot roast texture but really good for a cheap cut

and soft boiled eggs are out of this world since the whites dont get so rubbery and creamy yolks :)

mine is the Joule so uses the smart phone the anova are top notch to might end up with one later since I use them quite a bit

my phone is still a older iPhone 6s+

Mozart
07-01-20, 20:39
I eat mostly meat %90 carnivore and %10 keto so I sous vide everything all the time reckon 5 meals a week or so and then just use a torch to finish off :)
not sure if you watch the sous vide everything guy on youtube (guga) great channel

finally did a pot roast (chuck) the other day 24 hours did a pre torch kinda reverse sear and then sous vide and WOW reminded me a lot of really good prime rib was not the typical pot roast texture but really good for a cheap cut

and soft boiled eggs are out of this world since the whites dont get so rubbery and creamy yolks :)

mine is the Joule so uses the smart phone the anova are top notch to might end up with one later since I use them quite a bit

my phone is still a older iPhone 6s+

Yeah I watch Guga. So far I’ve only done burgers, steaks and chicken sousvide.

grizzlyblake
07-01-20, 22:56
I’m 35 but pretty anti tech, always have been. I even use incandescent lightbulbs in my house. We have one TV in the house, a 32” on the fire place mantle.

However there are a few things I really like.

IPhone - email everywhere, internet browsing, weather app, tracker for my wife’s phone, banking apps, and map directions.
Simply safe home security system.
Streaming TV so we don’t need cable.

I wish the radio in my 4Runner was old school and not the touchscreen thing though. It already looks dated and glitchy from just 2014.

Honu
07-02-20, 01:47
Yeah I watch Guga. So far I’ve only done burgers, steaks and chicken sousvide.

Make smash burgers a lot so have not done burgers yet :) I am starting to do my own ground meat so learning/trying dif combos

Vandal
07-02-20, 13:02
I'm 34, my iPhone is the best piece of tech I own. I'm starting to think about replacing my MacBook Air with a new iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard to make things even simpler. I currently have an iPhone XS but have had 2 others and a Blackberry Tour before that as my first "smartphone". I am forced to use an Android at work... not a fan.

My first career was in auto sales and I spent 6 years doing that in Washington with Subaru, Audi, and VW. I am fascinated by the advances in what has become known as Infotainment Systems in cars since I went into that field in 2010 and how drastically they can differ from companies like CDJR's Uconnect, Ford's Sync system, and others when put head to head with Audi, BMW, or even Subaru (who is known for being years behind for in-car tech). CD players used to be the hotness, now my Jeep doesn't even have one.

I wish the radio in my 4Runner was old school and not the touchscreen thing though. It already looks dated and glitchy from just 2014.

Nah, that is a Toyota/Subaru thing. Their touchscreens and software, chassis, engines, and design are 3-4 years behind everyone else.

Adrenaline_6
07-02-20, 13:29
I’m 35 but pretty anti tech, always have been. I even use incandescent lightbulbs in my house. We have one TV in the house, a 32” on the fire place mantle.

However there are a few things I really like.

IPhone - email everywhere, internet browsing, weather app, tracker for my wife’s phone, banking apps, and map directions.
Simply safe home security system.
Streaming TV so we don’t need cable.

Supposedly, they are de-luxurying the Land Cruiser to concentrate on off road capability and lowering cost. Hopefully this is true.

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/06/30/new-toyota-land-cruiser-tundra-details/

TommyG
07-02-20, 14:44
Millennial here. Used to love technology. Pretty much hate any new tech that has come out the past 15-20 years. I think I’d rather ride a horse at this point. Or give me a car with a distributor and no goofy computers.

I am there too. Can't freeze "progress" and I feel like a great deal of it has passed me by.

Honu
07-02-20, 15:37
If the US would bring in the 70 models :)
Supposedly, they are de-luxurying the Land Cruiser to concentrate on off road capability and lowering cost. Hopefully this is true.

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/06/30/new-toyota-land-cruiser-tundra-details/

chadbag
07-08-20, 11:11
I like my iPhone and just recently got a new iPad Pro (our previous was an iPad 3 and a couple original iPad mini). Thge iPad Pro is amazing. I got it mostly to help with a house build I am attempting but it really, with the pencil, is a great tool.

Otherwise I really like my car: Audi A3 e-tron (2016). It is a plug-in hybrid. I like that about 70% of my 48K miles on it are non-gasoline-engine-on miles. Saves a ton and the electric driving is fun.

Our house I am attempting to build will have a water-water heat pump for heating and cooling. The tech controls that make it all work are pretty amazing. We will have a separate boiler for the snow melt on the driveway but the same controls will control that and it will know if it is precipitating out in the winter and automatically turn on the snow melt -- so we don't waste energy and money heating the dry ground on a sunny but cold day and I don't have to remember to turn it on before the snow and ice start to fall.

Lots of little things that make it easier and you don't have to remember. Like the front lights that turn on and off automatically through a home control that knows the local sun rise and set (so it works in winter and summer without lots of light on or off at the wrong times). I've started to put Homekit devices in the house and being able to make things go on or off, or whatever with just the voice or a touch on the phone is cool.

Adrenaline_6
07-08-20, 11:56
If the US would bring in the 70 models :)

Yup.

I am waiting to see how this new Bronco thing works out.