PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Moe Stock

javentre
11-26-08, 16:48
Is the Magpul Moe stock essentially a CTR without the squeeze lock?

Is it a missed feature, in that it has some play since it can't be locked? Or is it a tighter fit than a CTR, so it doesn't need the lock?

MaceWindu
11-26-08, 17:26
Is the Magpul Moe stock essentially a CTR without the squeeze lock?

Yes.

Is it a missed feature, in that it has some play since it can't be locked?

No, I have (2) and have found VERY little difference in the fit and lock-up. Best bargain anywhere...

Or is it a tighter fit than a CTR, so it doesn't need the lock?

Roughly the same. Locks up nice and tight @ 1/2 the price with the rubber butt pad included.

Mace

restfortheweary
11-26-08, 17:29
I noticed a slight difference in the lock up between my MOE and CTR, but still as tight as most stocks on the market. It's an excellent value.

Buckeye67
11-26-08, 17:39
I just finished a lower using an MOE on a 5-position mil-spec buffer tube. It locks up very tight. There is zero rotational movement and just a couple of millimeters movement front/back (and I have to pull pretty darn hard to get it to do that). I'm quite pleased with it.

javentre
11-26-08, 17:59
Thanks guys. I just ordered 2.

DM-SC
11-26-08, 18:13
You'll like 'em just fine...I like both of mine. Funny how getting rid of that rattly standard carbine stock made my guns seem like much better quality! :cool:

ZDL
11-26-08, 19:35
I have 2 as part of the one time offered Grant Lower Specials. 1 is super tight and one has as much play as a standard stock. After talking with Stickman, a tight fit is the normal result. Grant tells me however, each will be different and it's bound to happen that a few will be loose..... So... It is what it is I suppose.

To clarify further. I bought both package 1 lowers from Grant and one came with a jet black receiver extension and the other a grayish color. The jet black extension and MOE stock combo is the tight fitting specimen. The grayish extension and moe stock combo is the wobbly one. RE seem to matter. I was told by grant they are both milspec RE but from different companies.

The grayish color RE is from LMT I was told.

Also, I switched the stocks around as a test. When I put the MOE stock that was originally on the grayish RE, onto the black RE it became SUPER and mean SUPER tight.

When I did the reverse and put the MOE stock that was originally on the black RE onto the grayish RE the wobble was even worse than original set up.

Like I said... RE seem to matter. Although due to the increased tightness on the black RE with the other MOE stock, it seems as if the MOE's aren't EXACTLY uniform. Which, like grant suggested, is to be expected.

off topic - Which is the proper spelling for the color? grey or gray? Thanks.

KyAKGuy
11-26-08, 19:41
I believe that the MOE also does not have the QR swivel hole
like the CTR does.

KyAKGuy

rob_s
11-26-08, 19:43
like the CTR does.

KyAKGuy

You are correct.

javentre
12-04-08, 17:12
Just an update.

These fit really well to the milspec receiver extension in terms of lateral movement. It's quite snug and I'm happy. I don't miss the friction lock nor the QD swivel cup.

I did however get a dud, so I hope Magpul CS is good. If you tug it to the rear, while having the adjustment lever down - it'll pop off with light to medium force.

javentre
12-04-08, 17:20
On the bottom side, in the groove that the pin slides in, there is a slight bevel. This allows the pin to jump out of the groove and causes the stock to pop off. MagPul is aware of the problem and the only fix, for now, is a new receiver extension or a different kind of stock (the CTR will work).

Apparently CMMG is going to stop putting that bevel in there - after MagPul talked with them.

Heavy Metal
12-04-08, 17:35
like the CTR does.

KyAKGuy

I like my MOE. It is as tight as a CTR but I miss this feature.

Leviathan
12-04-08, 20:22
off topic - Which is the proper spelling for the color? grey or gray? Thanks.

Gray is a color. Grey is a "colour". Both are accepted in the English/American Lexicon, but it boils down to a "which side of the pond" issue. ;)

Dave L.
12-05-08, 07:29
Guys,
Does the MOE Stock come with the rubber butt pad? I have 2 CTR's and one came with it and one came without it.

javentre
12-05-08, 07:35
Guys,
Does the MOE Stock come with the rubber butt pad? I have 2 CTR's and one came with it and one came without it.

"The Military Model includes a standard 0.30” rubber butt-pad which provides positive shoulder purchase to prevent slippage even with body armor or modular gear."

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_124_129&products_id=288

MaceWindu
12-05-08, 09:08
Does the MOE Stock come with the rubber butt pad?

YES! :D

Mace

Dave L.
12-05-08, 09:13
YES! :D

Mace

Great, Thank you.

matthewdanger
12-05-08, 10:13
The MOE is an unbelievable value. It comes with the rubber pad (which I can take or leave) and has all that Magpul goodness built right in.

Damascus
12-05-08, 10:21
..... Roughly the same. Locks up nice and tight @ 1/2 the price with the rubber butt pad included.

I recently purchased a CTR from Brownell's (mil-spec version, not MOE) and Magpul is now including the rubber buttpad with these as well. Kudos to Magpul! I was under the impression that only the commercial size CTR's had the rubber pad due to some commercial tubes having slanted backs, but now the mil-spec versions also include it.

hoveyh
12-05-08, 20:13
I have two MOE's ..... one black one a CMT tube and one O.D. on a tube of unknown manufacture from a gunshow ...... they both fit tight as a drum. Love their fit, finish and functionality. As others have said a great value. I also have matching MOE grips...

HH

T3550N
12-05-08, 20:50
I don't currently have a sling for my AR. So I have a question for those who have run with a QD on their CTR. Do you prefer the rear sling point on the stock (CTR in this case) or on a Sling Mount like the DD one that fits between the Receiver and Stock?

MaceWindu
12-06-08, 00:21
prefer the rear sling point on the stock (CTR in this case)

I prefer the rear sling point on the stock. Holds the carbine steady and I don't have to worry about the sling getting "tangled" up and twisted.

Mace

matthewdanger
12-06-08, 06:30
I prefer to have the sling mounted as close the the receiver as possible on both the front and rear.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/469/lightweight1up8.jpg

It works especially well with with modern 2-point slings like the Vickers (VCAS). To transition to the weak side all one has to do is pull the tab to lengthen the sling and then dip the muzzle slightly down (which lifts the stock) while moving the stock to the weak side shoulder. This allows the sling to pass under the receiver extension which will give you more room on the weak side without having to drop your weak side arms out of the sling. It saves you a step.

You may still have to drop the arm in heavy winter clothes.

LawDog
12-06-08, 12:37
MatthewDanger what end plate are you using?