PDA

View Full Version : TELL ME ABOUT LMT

1s1k
11-26-08, 16:51
New to the forums dont care much for Colt and I'm leaning towards LMT M4,opinions, links and comments welcome.

Thank you

Flipside
11-26-08, 17:20
If you're anything like I am, you'll likely find that once you ask a question like that, you're already hooked. A little exploration on the Web will bury you in information that could take years to dig out from. The likelyhood of going 'wrong' with LMT is about as hard as finding one.

Avenger29
11-26-08, 17:21
You can't go wrong with an LMT. Look in the "Knowledge Base threads" sticky at the top and read the "Comparision Chart of AR brands (read the whole thread) and that will help you make a more informed decision.

I'm very satisfied with my LMT 16" carbine...very satisfied...

They also have a lifetime warranty, and I think there are a couple of ways to get an LMT for just under $1K...

Paulinski
11-26-08, 18:53
LMT are GTG.

Gunrider
11-26-08, 20:25
VERY satisfied with MRP CQB gas Piston gun.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4824.jpg

VERY satisfied with MRP CQB DI gun w 18 and 16 inch BBLs
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/LMTMRPCQB.jpg

VERT Satisfied with my M-4 Upper...
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4947.jpg

Basically, LMT is the real deal milspec, machine gun grade barrels, 1:7 twist -- MRPs have quickly interchangable barels even I can't screw up. Gas piston WORKS.

jhs1969
11-27-08, 01:37
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p427/jhs1969/100_1702_edited-1.jpg

$1056 shipped. Ordered complete upper and complete lower from the same dealer at the same time this past Feb. (add on's cost extra:D)

Smooth, slick, reliable, accurate in comparison to the 16 different BM's I've had including my wife's current BM M4. The BM has performed fine but the LMT has a much smoother action and much better trigger.

No.6
11-27-08, 06:42
There's Colt and LMT.

everything else.

You won't go wrong buying either one. And since you have rejected Colt, that leaves LMT as your best choice. And not a bad choice at all.

1s1k
11-27-08, 08:12
Thanks you guys for your responses so far ,while I have your attention are anti walking pins,take down and pivot pin from KNS a good investment or overkill.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-27-08, 09:02
are anti walking pins,take down and pivot pin from KNS a good investment or overkill.

KNS anti-walk / anti-spin FCG pins = yes, no or maybe depending who you ask. on a factory built lower, i would not install them, unless i had some problem with pins walking or i installed an aftermarket captive trigger

aftermarket pivot / takedown pins = no. not a good investment. they might do more damage than good. skip 'em.

you're on the right track with LMT, don't start getting all goofy on us now.

No.6
11-27-08, 09:05
IMO, anti-walk pins aren't needed on quality semi-auto AR's like the LMT. Although I'm sure someone, somewhere, has had a need for them because of use or abuse.
So far as the take down pins, eh, why? If you had a nervous "tick" and were constantly manipulating them, then yeah, maybe. But normal wear and tear...? Just my dos centavos.

Eric
11-27-08, 09:16
are anti walking pins,take down and pivot pin from KNS a good investment or overkill.
For the most part, they are a solution for a problem that most folks will never experience. If your pins are coming out, there are other issues.

1s1k
11-27-08, 09:37
I pulled the trigger on the LMT upper and lower from Bravo Co. now comes the waiting,Ive always been an AK advocate and own a Bulgarian slr-95reliability being paramount, but I factored in future parts/ammo availability ,accesories,ergonomics etc. and the AR seems to have the edge afterall this will be my go to SHTF /Zombie rifle.

No.6
11-27-08, 09:49
Good for you. Now get rid of that commie stuff.... ;)

VA_Dinger
11-27-08, 12:54
I've owned at least five LMT's from 10.5's-16" M4's.

Everyone of them was perfect.

I would never hesitate to buy an LMT.

drkhrs2
11-27-08, 13:17
I personally own 5 (2X 10.5", 2X 14.5", 1X 16") LMT's now and have NEVER had a problem with them. As for quality, I think they're every bit as good as Colt, if not better, but although I own a few Colts, I'm not super impressed with them. But I also own Noveskes and Larue Stealth AR's that are phenomenal...probably better than LMT. But I don't think you could wrong with an LMT.

Dave L.
11-27-08, 13:56
I have 2 LMT 2-Stage/SOPMOD lowers, both are beautiful. I have 2 16" uppers coming from G&R, I can't wait.

Like someone said, Colt & LMT are on par and both companies make a badass AR.
You will love it, if you can find one!

teufeldog
11-29-08, 00:29
I pulled the trigger on the LMT upper and lower from Bravo Co. now comes the waiting

Where did you find these? Unless I'm missing something, I cannot find lowers at http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/.

Thanks,
Shawn

Veracity
11-29-08, 12:14
My LMT lower looks and feels beautiful.
Buy now.

1s1k
11-29-08, 14:05
Where did you find these? Unless I'm missing something, I cannot find lowers at http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/.

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn I was able to get through the phone after dialing repeatedly for about 30 minutes.

:D

Cheers

MMcfpd
11-29-08, 14:11
While I've never had an LMT rifle, I have used their BCGs. Last night I had a gun apart and discovered that its LMT bolt will allow being assembled with the cam pin inserted on the wrong side. That would seem to be a manufacturing or QC failure, and certainly not what I'd expected from what's supposed to be a top tier producer.

jhs1969
11-29-08, 22:23
While I've never had an LMT rifle, I have used their BCGs. Last night I had a gun apart and discovered that its LMT bolt will allow being assembled with the cam pin inserted on the wrong side. That would seem to be a manufacturing or QC failure, and certainly not what I'd expected from what's supposed to be a top tier producer.

If your talking about installing the bolt backwards so that it ejects cases into the receiver instead of out the ejection port then this is not a quality/manufacturing issue. It is a training issue. I was taught decades ago to MAKE sure the bolt is installed into the carrier with the extractor on the ejection port side. I have since followed this advice and never tried to install the bolt backwards just for shits and giggles. Please do not confuse training issues with quaility issues, this is no fault of LMT or any other manufacturer, it is part of living with the AR design.

For anyone who has installed the bolts in reverse please chime in now, I would like to hear your results.

MMcfpd
11-29-08, 22:48
No, it's a defect. A properly constructed AR-15 bolt will not allow the cam pin to be installed from the wrong side.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-30-08, 03:29

yes it is a defect and slipped by, but LMT is still top tier. do you think Colt never has defects that slip by QC? hate to break it to you, but they do. did LMT eventually fix the problem?

my personal order of preference is:
Noveske
BCM (maybe doesn't count cos you cant get complete rifles unless you're USMC03)
LMT
Colt
Sabre

other people might put that in another order, but i think we'd see all those companies at the top in everyone's list. no matter how you slice it LMT is top tier.
they make carbine uppers and M203 for the military, i think they know what they're doing.

i dont have a complete LMT rifle either, but i have one of their uppers and it runs great. all my friends' LMT rifles and uppers are outstanding as well. sorry you got a bad part, but it happens to the best of 'em.

spamsammich
11-30-08, 04:29

So what are you going to do about it? Does it cause a malfunction? I'm sure LMT will be reasonable about addressing your issue. What did they say about it?

ARPATRIOT
11-30-08, 12:30
I've heard LMT has been having some QC problems.

1s1k
11-30-08, 16:06

Where???

Dave L.
11-30-08, 16:16

Do you have any Facts from a reliable source?

Iraqgunz
11-30-08, 17:40
Exactly where did you hear the LMT rumor? Every manufacturer has issues at some point. Obviously the bolt should only assemble one way and there is an issue. I would first and foremost contact LMT and advise them of the situation and see what happens. Unless it is an emergency for you to have your weapon functioning I would put it off to the side until the situation is resolved, or I would remember which way the bolt needs to be assembled.

Iraqgunz
11-30-08, 17:43
I don't know where you learned to assemble your weapon, but if you look at a proper bolt where the cam hole is you will see that one hole is slightly different than the other and that the bolt should only assemble one way. So yes it is a QA/QC issue.

I believe that this was done so personnel could assemble their weapons in darkness or limited visibility situations and not need to have a light source to know that the weapon was assembled correctly.

If your talking about installing the bolt backwards so that it ejects cases into the receiver instead of out the ejection port then this is not a quality/manufacturing issue. It is a training issue. I was taught decades ago to MAKE sure the bolt is installed into the carrier with the extractor on the ejection port side. I have since followed this advice and never tried to install the bolt backwards just for shits and giggles. Please do not confuse training issues with quaility issues, this is no fault of LMT or any other manufacturer, it is part of living with the AR design.

For anyone who has installed the bolts in reverse please chime in now, I would like to hear your results.

jhs1969
11-30-08, 19:27
I don't know where you learned to assemble your weapon, but if you look at a proper bolt where the cam hole is you will see that one hole is slightly different than the other and that the bolt should only assemble one way. So yes it is a QA/QC issue.

I believe that this was done so personnel could assemble their weapons in darkness or limited visibility situations and not need to have a light source to know that the weapon was assembled correctly.

This makes me wonder if there was a modification to the AR system years ago or if the AR system ever, in it's design, allowed it's bolt to be assembled in reverse. I don't even remember who I was taught this from but I belive the timeline to have been in the mid-late 70's. I simply (dumbly?) followed this advice (making sure the extractor faced the ejection port) to avoid any potential problems. It seems there is still plenty of things to learn:eek:. If anyone knows if the older AR's had this problem I would like to know. I am now like the cat (curious).

Just tried this with my LMT spares, bolt and cam pin. It will only insert from the correct side, will not go from the oppostie side. Still I wonder about the early years on the AR's.

Iraqgunz
12-01-08, 00:47
My first M16 was an M16A1 issued to me in 1986. The serial number was a 6 digit if I recall correctly so I know it had been around for a while. Even then I can only remember it assembling one way. Maybe someone else knows the answer.....???

1s1k
12-01-08, 07:08
Very ,very, interesting... lets keep this thread going can the manufacturer chime in as they do in other forums?

Can somebody post pictures...

markm
12-01-08, 07:17
LMT has a great reputation but the little corner cutting that they do would force me to go BCM or Colt. (No taper pins and No park under the FSB)

These aren't huge issues, but I will shoot in the rain any chance I can (my guns get wet). I just prefer it done right.

1s1k
12-01-08, 07:30
According to the M4 chart it does have the FCG pins !

markm
12-01-08, 07:50
According to the M4 chart it does have the FCG pins !

No. I mean the front sight base pins. Randall from AR15barrels made the excellent point that the Taper pins that Colt uses help pull the FSB down onto the barrel when they're driven home. This helps ensure a good gas seal between the barrel and FSB.

It's not a huge thing, but the little things add up.

dbrowne1
12-01-08, 14:11
The cam pin hole on a properly manufactured bolt is peened on one side to prevent the cam pin from being inserted while the bolt is aligned improperly inside the carrier. You can see two concave crescent-shaped depressions on either side of the cam pin hole on the "wrong" side.

It's meant to "idiot-proof" the reassembly, and while most of us are not idiots and know which side the extractor should be on, everyone has fleeting moments of idiocy so it's a nice thing to have - not just because the specs require it.

decodeddiesel
12-01-08, 17:25
The cam pin hole on a properly manufactured bolt is peened on one side to prevent the cam pin from being inserted while the bolt is aligned improperly inside the carrier. You can see two concave crescent-shaped depressions on either side of the cam pin hole on the "wrong" side.

It's meant to "idiot-proof" the reassembly, and while most of us are not idiots and know which side the extractor should be on, everyone has fleeting moments of idiocy so it's a nice thing to have - not just because the specs require it.

More like soldier proof. Most of my soldiers would not remember the proper assembly method if given 2 nearly identical choices, and or would probably mess it up if in a hurry (I know I probably would). This was done so there was only one way to put the weapon back together...the right way.

topraider
12-01-08, 18:49
Got my first M16 way back in 1969 and was around them in the US Army till 1990. Was a DI for 2 years and dont recall ever seeing a bolt that could be installed the wrong way.
As a DI. I've seen all the dumb stuf that trainees can do to their rifles but even they couldn't install the bolt the wrong way.
I have a comlete LMT and it is top notch, fixing to go after the MRP piston.