PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Noveske 16 inch CHF Barrel. Set my expectations.

js8588
07-01-20, 21:20
With parts of the country literally on fire & DJT's re-election prospects looking inauspicious, I decided to finally get to work building a go-to carbine. I'm sparing no expense (I ordered a freaking $88 after shipping forged rifle receiver extension from Speciaized Armament for it). It will be topped with an Aimpoint CompM5 & cowitness fixed irons (LMT rear sight & probably a Midwest Industries HK style front).

Conventional wisdom dictates the barrel, bolt carrier, and trigger are the heart of a solid build. I decided to finally pull the proverbial trigger & order a Noveske 16 inch CHF/CL barrel. I had some credit with OpticsPlanet & a 10% off coupon. Came to like $420 shipped. They ain't gonna get any cheaper over the coming months.

Supposedly these are the best $$ can buy, save Hodge.

Temper my expectations. What has been your experience with this barrel?

At the moment my expectations are reliable, if overgassed (which I'm okay with. I want it to run any ammo in any conditions & I don't own or intend to own a suppressor...otherwise I'd have hunted down a Hodge). Accuracy expectations are 1.5-2 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards with quality ammo. >2 moa with cheap stuff.

I haven't seen too many reports on a Noveske CHF barrel since Molon's evaluation circa 2009.

ndmiller
07-01-20, 21:43
Ordering a Noveske Barrel isn't apples to apples most times with other barrels in terms of cost. Whenever I've ordered a Noveske barrel it comes with gas block, pin and gas tube included. Most other barrel makers sell the barrel on it's own.

I would expect performance to be similar to all their CL barrels (a bit better than your expectations with a decent shooter), my N4 14.5 is 1 MOA with good ammo (62-77gr) all day and probably shoots better than I can shoot. Their SS 10.5 I have is .5-1 moa same ammo and probably shoots better than I can shoot as well. I run both suppressed without issue with their recommended buffer (what they list on their rifles)

The only other thing I'll leave you with is throw the gas block pin in the freezer the day before the install. Makes all the difference on a clean error and gouge fee install experience.

Jsp10477
07-02-20, 15:51
They’re fn hammerforged barrels to noveske specs. The profile makes sense. The one I had was gassed a little heavy but it was an accurate chromelined barrel.

kirkland
07-02-20, 16:13
With parts of the country literally on fire & DJT's re-election prospects looking inauspicious, I decided to finally get to work building a go-to carbine. I'm sparing no expense (I ordered a freaking $88 after shipping forged rifle receiver extension from Speciaized Armament for it). It will be topped with an Aimpoint CompM5 & cowitness fixed irons (LMT rear sight & probably a Midwest Industries HK style front).

Conventional wisdom dictates the barrel, bolt carrier, and trigger are the heart of a solid build. I decided to finally pull the proverbial trigger & order a Noveske 16 inch CHF/CL barrel. I had some credit with OpticsPlanet & a 10% off coupon. Came to like $420 shipped. They ain't gonna get any cheaper over the coming months.

Supposedly these are the best $$ can buy, save Hodge.

Temper my expectations. What has been your experience with this barrel?

At the moment my expectations are reliable, if overgassed (which I'm okay with. I want it to run any ammo in any conditions & I don't own or intend to own a suppressor...otherwise I'd have hunted down a Hodge). Accuracy expectations are 1.5-2 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards with quality ammo. >2 moa with cheap stuff.

I haven't seen too many reports on a Noveske CHF barrel since Molon's evaluation circa 2009.

In my opinion the barrel is the true heart of the AR. Milspec BCG's are a dime a dozen. But if you've got a really nice barrel with a true chamber, you can build yourself a really nice AR. The only Noveske barrel I own is a 10.5 6.8 SPC barrel. It's stainless, tapered profile, medium weight, gassed perfectly, and very accurate. I doubt you'll be disappointed with any Noveske barrel.

RHINOWSO
07-02-20, 16:15
Reason being is Noveske barrels are typically $100-150 more than a comparable DD, Criterion, etc.

12 months ago I got a 14.5 DD LW with gas block for $190 shipped.

They are nice barrels (I have a 2010 14.5" CL SW with pinned 51T Blackout), but they aren't cheap.

ScottsBad
07-02-20, 20:38
They are easily better than DD barrels.

I have two 16" Noveske CHF barrels. The first one I bought had a standard A sight/GB. I decided to shave the GB down and put a rail on it. The second one came with a pinned GB. Both are very good barrels about 1 MOA - 1.5 depending on your ammo.

The thing I love about the Noveske barrels is the excellent medium profile, pinned GB, double thick chrome, and good accuracy. I just wish they were less expensive.

You chose wisely.

I prefer the Vltor MUR uppers for my go to rifles. And I'm using a LMT Enhanced BCG for one of the builds, with Vltor A5 Sprinco Green A5H3 buffer (I recommend starting with the A5H2). The A5 is not necessary, you could just as well go with a carbine RE, Sprinco Blue, and H2 or H3 buffer. The Geissele super 42 is another option I have not tried yet.

What ever you do, you know the BCG is critical. I like BCM, LMT enhanced, DD, Colt. I've not tried the Geissele Super Duty, but I saw an evaluation of it and it looks excellent.

I've not had a lot of time with the LMT Enhanced, but it seems to work very well. But I have had a LOT of time on the BCM BCGs and they have been excellent. I would say the BCM BCG is just as good as the Colt. I've not had too much time on the DD yet.

js8588
07-02-20, 21:04

I have two 16" Noveske CHF barrels. The first one I bought had a standard A sight/GB. I decided to shave the GB down and put a rail on it. The second one came with a pinned GB. Both are very good barrels about 1 MOA - 1.5 depending on your ammo.

The thing I love about the Noveske barrels is the excellent medium profile, pinned GB, double thick chrome, and good accuracy. I just wish they were less expensive.

You chose wisely.

I prefer the Vltor MUR uppers for my go to rifles. And I'm using a LMT Enhanced BCG for one of the builds, with Vltor A5 Sprinco Green A5H3 buffer (I recommend starting with the A5H2). The A5 is not necessary, you could just as well go with a carbine RE, Sprinco Blue, and H2 or H3 buffer. The Geissele super 42 is another option I have not tried yet.

What ever you do, you know the BCG is critical. I like BCM, LMT enhanced, DD, Colt. I've not tried the Geissele Super Duty, but I saw an evaluation of it and it looks excellent.

I've not had a lot of time with the LMT Enhanced, but it seems to work very well. But I have had a LOT of time on the BCM BCGs and they have been excellent. I would say the BCM BCG is just as good as the Colt. I've not had too much time on the DD yet.

I'm leaning towards a Lantac UAR billet upper for this at the moment but that's not set in stone.

The bolt will for sure be an LMT enhanced but those are backordered until basically inauguration day 2021. The carrier will probably be a Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black. I'm aware that's not the most popular choice on this forum but even here they get good reviews.

I'll be using a rifle length extension/buffer/spring for a Lancer EFX-A1 stock I have on hand.

Radian Talon 45° ambi safety.

Trigger choice at the moment is sixes between a Wilson Combat TTU single stage, a Geissele SSP Flat, or a Velocity steel case trigger. TTU is the current frontrunner but not substantially so.

ScottsBad
07-03-20, 12:16
I'm leaning towards a Lantac UAR billet upper for this at the moment but that's not set in stone.

The bolt will for sure be an LMT enhanced but those are backordered until basically inauguration day 2021. The carrier will probably be a Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black. I'm aware that's not the most popular choice on this forum but even here they get good reviews.

I'll be using a rifle length extension/buffer/spring for a Lancer EFX-A1 stock I have on hand.

Radian Talon 45° ambi safety.

Trigger choice at the moment is sixes between a Wilson Combat TTU single stage, a Geissele SSP Flat, or a Velocity steel case trigger. TTU is the current frontrunner but not substantially so.

Sounds good. Everyone has differences in how they want their build to go.

If I couldn't get the complete LMT Enhanced BCG in the time frame I needed it by, my second choice would be the Geissele REBCG. It is DLC coated, but the main thing is the amazing machining and material. Expensive? Yes, but you will never worry about Geissele standing behind their stuff. https://geissele.com/geissele-bolt-carrier-group.html

Sometimes people on this forum push their own stuff, which is fine, but I'd think about what you are trying to accomplish and go with tried and true vendors. JMHO

Triggers are very personal, you like single stage, I'm for Geissele 2 stage. SSA and SSA-E, the E is slightly light for me, but I use it.

I don't know anything about the Lantac upper. I do know that Noveske was rebadging Vltors for some time. In fact, I have a Noveske Vltor upper on one build. Just a point of info.

I would recommend the Mega Machine MML for a go-to build (I have 3 go-to builds) because I love mine, but Mega has either stopped production or quit the business. The upper was expensive because it was a 7075 billet Upper/Mlock rail. Very sturdy because the rail fit and bolted to the receiver (not the barrel nut) making it essentially a single piece upper/rail.

Here is the build with the Mega MML. Noveske CHF 16" mid-length barrel, LMT Enhanced BCG, Noveske Gen 2 lower, Geissele SSA, LMT receiver extension (dry lube coated), Sprinco (Tactical Springs) Blue with either a H2 or H3. Troy HK style sights, I think I have an Aimpoint or MRO on it now. I've got a surefire light for it. It doesn't have that stock, I switched back to a B5 SOPMOD. I guess the I put the A5 system on my other Noveske barreled rifle.

I used to change parts a lot.

Oh yeah, and it has a different safety now. I think its a Talon, I'd have to go dig it out of the safe, but I'm lazy. I cannot remember the charging handle. in the picture its a BCM Gunfighter medium, but I think I put a Geissele Ambi in it.

This is probably my favorite go-to, it is bomb proof. It shoots 1 MOA with Mk262 clone. However, it is a little heavier which you might expect for a fighting rifle. Hope this helps.

ndmiller
07-03-20, 12:32
All good above. I sort of scour the internet for weird odd Noveske new/used/takeoff items and tend to build AR's off that.

For example at one point Noveske cleared out some Foliage Green NSR Rails almost at the same time Magpul was getting rid of their Foliage green stuff. Grabbed me a Spike lower from the garage, Noveske MUR upper, 16" barrel W/bolt, a carrier, the rail, the magpul closeouts and a colts parts kit. Dad got a new Foliage green AR with the majority 50% off. Have done that same with Chainsaw parts from them as well. Also the reason why I keep a few lowers and parts kits around. Everything else is a week away shipped direct.

Could obviously do the same with Geissele, La Rue, or any other high end AR Parts folks.

ScottsBad
07-03-20, 13:05
All good above. I sort of scour the internet for weird odd Noveske new/used/takeoff items and tend to build AR's off that.

For example at one point Noveske cleared out some Foliage Green NSR Rails almost at the same time Magpul was getting rid of their Foliage green stuff. Grabbed me a Spike lower from the garage, Noveske MUR upper, 16" barrel W/bolt, a carrier, the rail, the magpul closeouts and a colts parts kit. Dad got a new Foliage green AR with the majority 50% off. Have done that same with Chainsaw parts from them as well. Also the reason why I keep a few lowers and parts kits around. Everything else is a week away shipped direct.

Could obviously do the same with Geissele, La Rue, or any other high end AR Parts folks.

Yeah, I got a little addicted to building rifles for a few years and ended up building 12. I also have a ton of upper and lower small parts, some upper receivers, buffer tubes, springs, buffers, triggers, a couple rails, muzzle devices, gas blocks, gas tubes, etc. I could build at least 3 complete rifles if I had the lowers and barrels.

Pappabear
07-03-20, 21:48
I own two Noveske 14.5 and 16 barrels. They are great barrels, but so many mgf make great barrels these days. I dont know if I would buy another. Ive been real happy with Sionics and BCM barrels. But there are many, so give it consideration.

I love how you can configure BCM fodder. Give them a look.

PB

js8588
07-04-20, 06:53
I own two Noveske 14.5 and 16 barrels. They are great barrels, but so many mgf make great barrels these days. I dont know if I would buy another. Ive been real happy with Sionics and BCM barrels. But there are many, so give it consideration.

PB

I've got a Sionics 16 inch Lightweight in a build. Really nice barrel. Great price too. I have a chrome lined Lothar Walther still waiting to be built out (will eventually be a DMR-ish setup). BCM's accuracy record is...spotty.

ScottsBad
07-04-20, 09:35

PB

I didn't want to mention this before, but I've had really good luck with BCM barrels too. Both the BFH and stainless have served me very well. My BCM BFH 14.5 light weight is the most accurate barrel I own. It is freakishly accurate! I can get .5 to .75 MOA with Mk262. YMMV

My DD is 1.5 MOA with match ammo, Faxon heavy fluted match disappointing. I can't remember all of them, some I've never spent Match ammo on. The bulk of my barrels are CHF and I just make sure they are 2 MOA with Federal M193.

Dennis
07-04-20, 10:57
I have a ~15 year old Noveske 16" CHF/CL upper with over 6000 rounds thru it that still shoots around MOA with various ammo. I just verified it a few months ago @100Y.

It was utterly reliable with an H buffer and now even smoother with an A5H2.

Dennis.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200704/f1a7b474628ad886183d3a0fdc46834e.jpg

Pappabear
07-04-20, 18:11
I didn't want to mention this before, but I've had really good luck with BCM barrels too. Both the BFH and stainless have served me very well. My BCM BFH 14.5 light weight is the most accurate barrel I own. It is freakishly accurate! I can get .5 to .75 MOA with Mk262. YMMV

My DD is 1.5 MOA with match ammo, Faxon heavy fluted match disappointing. I can't remember all of them, some I've never spent Match ammo on. The bulk of my barrels are CHF and I just make sure they are 2 MOA with Federal M193.

BCM sells a bazzillion barrels and of course, there are going to be some less than ideal. But on average, they make quality stuff. If you get a poor product, 20,0000000 people hear about it, a great product, your best friends hear about it.

PB

ExplorinInTheWoods
07-05-20, 06:54
I have one I bought in like 2016, it was part of a deal where they had their front sight post CHF for like 30% off or something crazy. It has a low profile gas block now but when I first got it I was disappointed comparing it to my 18in SS from noveske. But with better ammo it will group 1.5 Moa which for a CL barrel is good. I have a 1-6 vcog on this gun so the crosshair is 1 Moa thick and I’m Not really out there using A rear bag or bipod on this thing so that doesn’t help. But I have gotten good groups using the hornady frontier 55gr bthp.

Aetius
07-05-20, 08:12
I’ve got a CL Noveske 16”, FSB, DD BCG, VLTOR MUR and A5 H2.
The barrel has a better profile than most others who offer FN barrels. I’ve not had any problems with overgassing, but it’s unsuppressed. Ive been extremely pleased with the accuracy as well. I do think that Noveske is overpriced as of late, but it beats buying junk or being unarmed.

js8588
07-05-20, 13:17
While I'm considering upper receivers, any experience with the Forward Controls Designs billet upper? Specifically curious about how tight a fit the upper/barrel will be. One of the reasons I'm looking at the Lantac is they've required thermal fitting for all 3 I've built on. I'm going with a Forward Controls Forward Assist anyway, maybe I should consider the full upper?

Stickman
07-05-20, 14:22
While I'm considering upper receivers....

You are kinda all over the map on this creation, but it seems like you are having fun with it, and that is a good thing. Do you want a forged or a billet upper receiver?

Second question, how many builds have you done previously, or is this your first AR15 overall?

js8588
07-05-20, 14:26
You are kinda all over the map on this creation, but it seems like you are having fun with it, and that is a good thing. Do you want a forged or a billet upper receiver?

Second question, how many builds have you done previously, or is this your first AR15 overall?

My 6th full build. (I have several others under construction too...you know how it goes).

I'm looking at billet for the upper this time.

seagiant
07-05-20, 15:04
Hi,
Here is my dream rifle that was also my first AR build.

Started with a Spikes Tactical upper and lower and then used a DD CHF Middy barrel with a DD Nickel Boron BCG.

Used a Boron ALG Defense trigger group and finished off with Magpul furniture.

Uses a military M2 Aimpoint, co-witnessed to the front sight.

I think the barrel with the A2 sight was about $285.

It hits like a hammer and kicks like a pellet gun! Love it!

Stickman
07-05-20, 16:14
My 6th full build. (I have several others under construction too...you know how it goes).

I'm looking at billet for the upper this time.

Sounds like you have a pretty good foundation of builds, which is nice. You might want to consider Cross Machine Tool and Centurion Arms billet upper receivers. Both are machined well enough that a thermal fit should be required for best/ simplest installation of the barrel extension into receiver.

js8588
07-06-20, 06:34
Sounds like you have a pretty good foundation of builds, which is nice. You might want to consider Cross Machine Tool and Centurion Arms billet upper receivers. Both are machined well enough that a thermal fit should be required for best/ simplest installation of the barrel extension into receiver.

Just wanted to say, I'm honored that you responded to this thread. Big fan of your work.

Anyway, the Cryptic Coatings BCGs were on sale & miraculously in stock this weekend, so I ordered one. I'm sure the stock bolt will hold me until I can swap it out for an LMT (yes, I know CC is technically just Toolcraft & they source out their bolts).

I'll be dithering over exactly what upper receiver to purchase for a little bit yet. If the Precision Firearms billet upper wasn't 11 freaking ounces I'd have settled on that by now...then again, I'm essentially just fretting over ~3oz. Gun OCD is a b***h.

Now I'm learning towards the Geissele SSP for the trigger. 3ish lbs sure sounds nice (I know. Duty trigger weight vs range/gaming gun. I got the memo. I like what I like.)

justin_247
07-06-20, 15:14

Why do you say this? It's been known for a long time that DD builds exceptional barrels. For example, here's a thread from 2012 discussing a 14.5" DD LW-profile barrel, which performed extremely well:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?111488-Evaluating-Daniel-Defense-s-14-5-quot-CHF-LW-5-56-barrel

seagiant
07-06-20, 15:30
Hi,
Jeez, give me a break, DD have their own Hammer Forge machines.

I mean they MAKE their own barrels, they don't take someone else's blank, machine it and then put their name on it?

I would use DD for all my builds if I could afford it!

ndmiller
07-06-20, 18:24
Why do you say this? It's been known for a long time that DD builds exceptional barrels. For example, here's a thread from 2012 discussing a 14.5" DD LW-profile barrel, which performed extremely well:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?111488-Evaluating-Daniel-Defense-s-14-5-quot-CHF-LW-5-56-barrel

Hi,
Jeez, give me a break, DD have their own Hammer Forge machines.

I mean they MAKE their own barrels, they don't take someone else's blank, machine it and then put their name on it?

I would use DD for all my builds if I could afford it!

No-one said DD barrels are not exceptional, just Noveske are better. It's an opinion I share, but have no science to back it up. I would guess either brands barrels shoot better than most shooters, so no harm no foul. BUT, my 10.5 SS Noveske Suppressed is the cats meow and that's final.....HAHA.

justin_247
07-07-20, 07:25
No-one said DD barrels are not exceptional, just Noveske are better. It's an opinion I share, but have no science to back it up. I would guess either brands barrels shoot better than most shooters, so no harm no foul. BUT, my 10.5 SS Noveske Suppressed is the cats meow and that's final.....HAHA.

(a) We're talking CHF barrels here, so you're already out of your lane.
(b) The OP in question said Noveske's CHF barrels are "easily" better than DD, and then didn't provide any explanation for that statement.

I don't deny that Noveske sells a good barrel. Indeed, they sell some of the best barrels. But the idea that they're "easily" better than DD requires some justification. DD's barrels are some of the best in the industry. When it comes to CHF, it's hard to go wrong between, Noveske, Centurion, and DD.

ndmiller
07-07-20, 08:08
(a) We're talking CHF barrels here, so you're already out of your lane.
(b) The OP in question said Noveske's CHF barrels are "easily" better than DD, and then didn't provide any explanation for that statement.

I don't deny that Noveske sells a good barrel. Indeed, they sell some of the best barrels. But the idea that they're "easily" better than DD requires some justification. DD's barrels are some of the best in the industry. When it comes to CHF, it's hard to go wrong between, Noveske, Centurion, and DD.

Welcome to the internet, there is no lane but opinion whether mine or someone else's. I own CHF Noveske's as well and agree with OP's sentiment. Just out of curiosity, what justification would satisfy you?

sig1473
07-07-20, 11:37
Welcome to the internet, there is no lane but opinion whether mine or someone else's. I own CHF Noveske's as well and agree with OP's sentiment. Just out of curiosity, what justification would satisfy you?

How many Noveske barrels do you own? I own 7 with 4 of them being CHF. I also own DD barrels as well. I have 2 of those. I wouldn't say Noveske barrels are better than my DD at all. I would lean to say that my DD CHF are better.

ndmiller
07-07-20, 11:45
How many Noveske barrels do you own? I own 7 with 4 of them being CHF. I also own DD barrels as well. I have 2 of those. I wouldn't say Noveske barrels are better than my DD at all. I would lean to say that my DD CHF are better.

I own 6 Noveske's, 4 CHF and 2 SS in various lengths running both suppressed and unsuppressed. While we don't agree 100%, I am quite sure we are both correct in our assessments.

seagiant
07-07-20, 12:17
Hi,
Hmmm.......Correct me if I'm wrong but if Noveske's uses FN CHF Blanks...

As does PSA...

Why wouldn't I just buy a PSA/FN CHF Barrel at almost half the price?????

Just trying to see the difference?

I went DD because they are in control from start to finish.

To take it further, wonder what the accuracy difference between the two?????

js8588
07-07-20, 12:23
Uh, guys, we're getting a little off track. I do own a DD S2W CHF barrel in an irons only build. It's 100% reliable & as accurate as I can possibly be with just iron sights (~2 inches @ 100 yards. I'm the limiting factor there. Not the barrel. That's with 55gr FMJ btw).

I went with Noveske over DD for the barrel here because I prefer the barrel profile on the Noveske (I really wish more companies would do a consistent taper like that) & the double chrome lining likely will give it increased service life (realistically I'll never shoot out either one, but knowing it can probably last longer gives peace of mind).

If the internet hive mind is correct, DD barrels are generally a little more accurate than pretty much any 556 FN OEM barrel, but the FNs have the durability edge.

pointblank4445
07-07-20, 12:38
If the internet hive mind is correct, DD barrels are generally a little more accurate than pretty much any 556 FN OEM barrel

I've been seeing this trend fairly consistently. No account yet for "life" as I'm fresh back on the DD barrels as of this past year.

At least in the 16", DD's are far more conservatively gassed...0.072 vs. FN OEM's 0.078" ports.

In borescoping (which doesn't mean shit really) CHF barrels...HK's are hands down the cleanest. FN's really run the gamut of nearly HK-level of clean (no tool marks) to ugly...even in the higher-quality contract stuff like Hodge and Noveske. DD's have generally been more cleaner and free of tooling marks than compared to FN.

I've yet to have any FN (be it Rainier Mountain, Noveske, Hodge or OEM FN), DD, KAC or HK CHF that would print in excess of 1.5 MOA with a match 5.56 load. The honors of the best printed groups was by a DD just for the record....

TL;DR...it doesn't really matter.

seagiant
07-07-20, 12:47
I've been seeing this trend fairly consistently. No account yet for "life" as I'm fresh back on the DD barrels as of this past year.

At least in the 16", DD's are far more conservatively gassed...0.072 vs. FN OEM's 0.078" ports.

In borescoping (which doesn't mean shit really) CHF barrels...HK's are hands down the cleanest. FN's really run the gamut of nearly HK-level of clean (no tool marks) to ugly...even in the higher-quality contract stuff like Hodge and Noveske. DD's have generally been more cleaner and free of tooling marks than compared to FN.

I've yet to have any FN (be it Rainier Mountain, Noveske, Hodge or OEM FN), DD, KAC or HK CHF that would print in excess of 1.5 MOA with a match 5.56 load. The honors of the best printed groups was by a DD just for the record....

Hi,
Wondering....

How does the DD barrels compare with the HK, with your borescope???

ScottsBad
07-07-20, 14:08
While I'm considering upper receivers, any experience with the Forward Controls Designs billet upper? Specifically curious about how tight a fit the upper/barrel will be. One of the reasons I'm looking at the Lantac is they've required thermal fitting for all 3 I've built on. I'm going with a Forward Controls Forward Assist anyway, maybe I should consider the full upper?

My billet uppers have not been as tight as my two tightest fitting standard forged uppers by BCM (very tight, requires heat) and MEGA forged standard (also required heat). As I said before, I don't know what happened to MEGA, but BCM has a reputation for tight fitting uppers, but they are not billet.

Forward Controls has a reputation for tight tolerances. I would suggest calling them if you have a question.

BTW - Its generally a little better to use the same vendor for critical parts of the rifle. Especially Bolt and Carrier, upper/lower, sometimes BCG and barrel, not that I necessary follow my own advice. But I always run the same carrier/bolt manufacturer. I think that might have been what Stickman was trying to say, but he is far too polite to say it.

js8588
07-07-20, 14:22
My billet uppers have not been as tight as my two tightest fitting standard forged uppers by BCM (very tight, requires heat) and MEGA forged standard (also required heat). As I said before, I don't know what happened to MEGA, but BCM has a reputation for tight fitting uppers, but they are not billet.

Forward Controls has a reputation for tight tolerances. I would suggest calling them if you have a question.

BTW - Its generally a little better to use the same vendor for critical parts of the rifle. Especially Bolt and Carrier, upper/lower, sometimes BCG and barrel, not that I necessary follow my own advice. But I always run the same carrier/bolt manufacturer. I think that might have been what Stickman was trying to say, but he is far too polite to say it.

Unquestionably good, sound advice to follow, but I like to research and tinker and tweak. Half the fun of it. Sourcing the best parts I can find...

If it takes a little longer to find something or pay for it, that's okay. I have a wife who actually supports my hobby. Lucky that way.

I may well wait until Rainier or JSE Surplus get another run of Mega branded uppers from Zev as they do a few limited productions every few months.

The lower btw is an MVB Forged Ambi lower. Very slick, innovative little piece of kit.

ScottsBad
07-07-20, 14:44

Interesting, my DD barrel/BCG combo doesn't shoot any better than 1.5 - 2 MOA, and my buddy's M4V7 (which I bought him as a gift) doesn't shoot any better than that. I was a little embarrassed actually.

I think a bore scope can definitely tell you if you have a problem barrel, but I don't think a clean barrel will absolutely indicate an accurate barrel.

This brings me to an observation I've made over the years; Barrels are a crap shoot.

I have barrels that I didn't think would be much better than average that turned out to be sub-MOA and barrels that were promised to be accurate turn out to be about average.

I think you can improve your chances by going with a manufacturer that uses better quality control, but within that sample there will still be a variation.

Then, there are the shooters. Sorry to say it, but most guys were never taught how to shoot, and some use crap ammo to gauge their rifle's accuracy. Then they report it on the Internet and it becomes an article of faith.

Anyway, I found the CHF Noveske barrels I have to be good 1 - 1.25 MOA barrels.

But as I said before my most accurate barrels are a Light CHF 14.5" BCM and a stainless 16" BCM. The former is .5-.75 MOA, the latter other is at or slightly better than 1MOA.

That doesn't mean that everyone, or anyone, will get the same results I do with the same barrels.

ScottsBad
07-07-20, 14:54
Unquestionably good, sound advice to follow, but I like to research and tinker and tweak. Half the fun of it. Sourcing the best parts I can find...

If it takes a little longer to find something or pay for it, that's okay. I have a wife who actually supports my hobby. Lucky that way.

I may well wait until Rainier or JSE Surplus get another run of Mega branded uppers from Zev as they do a few limited productions every few months.

The lower btw is an MVB Forged Ambi lower. Very slick, innovative little piece of kit.

LOL about the wife. Same here, I got her into guns and now I don't have too much trouble with the gun hobby. I was on a hiatus from guns for a couple years (I got into knives), but now I'm back to guns.

Now, with the kooks in the streets, and my small town getting boarded up, she doesn't even blink if I want some gun related stuff.

js8588
07-07-20, 15:29
LOL about the wife. Same here, I got her into guns and now I don't have too much trouble with the gun hobby. I was on a hiatus from guns for a couple years (I got into knives), but now I'm back to guns.

Now, with the kooks in the streets, and my small town getting boarded up, she doesn't even blink if I want some gun related stuff.

Yeah, she's literally telling me to buy/build more guns with everything going on right now. We're really quite blessed.

pointblank4445
07-07-20, 15:41
Hi,
Wondering....

How does the DD barrels compare with the HK, with your borescope???

HK:

https://i.imgur.com/eWyq27i.jpg

DD:

https://i.imgur.com/UEutuCc.jpg

pointblank4445
07-07-20, 15:46
Interesting, my DD barrel/BCG combo doesn't shoot any better than 1.5 - 2 MOA, and my buddy's M4V7 (which I bought him as a gift) doesn't shoot any better than that. I was a little embarrassed actually.

I think a bore scope can definitely tell you if you have a problem barrel, but I don't think a clean barrel will absolutely indicate an accurate barrel.

The scope means exactly shit...as I already said. The only reason I started scoping is to verify the rumors that HK and Hodge center the gas port in the groove...which is false. Some HK's are. 0/3 on the Hodge's. Everything else has be morbid curiosity. One FN that looks like shit shoots lights out.

I also don't think its fair to judge on barrel alone..."X" is good...."Y" is bad. It's more about the sum of the parts, tolerance stacking and consistency. Hell, the wrong muzzle device selection can add a nice 0.5-1.0+ MOA penalty depending on the design. I just stick to a known formula that works until it doesn't.

seagiant
07-07-20, 19:10
Hi,
Wow!

Fantastic pics, looks like they are pretty close!

Thanks for putting them up, and sharing your experience and views on barrels.

I love CHF barrels, but they are a little pricey!

ScottsBad
07-08-20, 11:47
The scope means exactly shit...as I already said. The only reason I started scoping is to verify the rumors that HK and Hodge center the gas port in the groove...which is false. Some HK's are. 0/3 on the Hodge's. Everything else has be morbid curiosity. One FN that looks like shit shoots lights out.

I also don't think its fair to judge on barrel alone..."X" is good...."Y" is bad. It's more about the sum of the parts, tolerance stacking and consistency. Hell, the wrong muzzle device selection can add a nice 0.5-1.0+ MOA penalty depending on the design. I just stick to a known formula that works until it doesn't.

I completely agree, with the proviso that better QC (during the manufacturing process, with good materials) can make a big difference.

ScottsBad
07-08-20, 14:50
Yeah, she's literally telling me to buy/build more guns with everything going on right now. We're really quite blessed.

Hahaha, good for you.

I'm thinking of pruning, I've got some family rifles and shotguns that I'll probably never shoot and look like they just came out of the box. And I've already got 18 rifles chambered in 5.56 as I want to be able to arm my neighbors if necessary.

I'm adding to my AR-15 and SCAR parts backups.

I was going to build another rifle, but instead I'm going to buy a better mid-long range scope. I'm thinking NightForce 2.5-20. Or I may go with a less expensive Vortex.

n4p226r
07-09-20, 13:39
The only other thing I'll leave you with is throw the gas block pin in the freezer the day before the install. Makes all the difference on a clean error and gouge fee install experience.

I wish I read that before I installed one a few years ago.

ndmiller
07-09-20, 14:53
I wish I read that before I installed one a few years ago.

That's what I said after someone told me about the freezer trick. Same thing to install wheel bearings in a car or any press fit part into another.

If I had a video of my first install posted on YouTube, I would win the internet hands down.

js8588
07-09-20, 21:09
That's what I said after someone told me about the freezer trick. Same thing to install wheel bearings in a car or any press fit part into another.

If I had a video of my first install posted on YouTube, I would win the internet hands down.

Yeah, about that...I'm actually planning to swap the Noveske gas block/gas tube with a V7 Titanium pin-on GB & their extreme environment (inconel) gas tube.

I'm that level of OCD about this project.

Still completely undecided about which upper I'm using.

js8588
07-10-20, 21:14
Ended up ordering a Lantac UAR.

I'll be getting a nice commission check next week which I'll use to buy the CompM5. Thinking about taking a drive up to EuroOptic unless someone can recommend a better source?

js8588
07-21-20, 17:20
Got a note from OpticsPlanet this evening. Barrel will be shipping soon which means, if past is prologue, I'll have it in hand by the end of next week. Meanwhile, here's the build so far. Getting the Aimpoint tomorrow. 63192